DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

I just tested deleting a tv series from a USB drive mounted in DSM 7 and had no Issue with the settings above.

Have you looked at the folder/files to make sure they aren't marked as read only, system or hidden files?

If you bring up properties on one of the actual media folders what do you see for this screen?
image.png.7bc1ebe94c233ef72ecb1ac96df7f72a.png

flowcool
9 minutes ago, cayars said:

I just tested deleting a tv series from a USB drive mounted in DSM 7 and had no Issue with the settings above.

Have you looked at the folder/files to make sure they aren't marked as read only, system or hidden files?

If you bring up properties on one of the actual media folders what do you see for this screen?
image.png.7bc1ebe94c233ef72ecb1ac96df7f72a.png

I have the same config as you, that why I super confused on how it's possible. I tried also to sudo emby, but it's not autorized (with that I could have check really permission)... and even put emby as owner (through putty as you cannot through DSM) is not working 

2021-08-19_15h25_11.png

2021-08-19_15h25_20.png

2021-08-19_15h31_17.png

Edited by flowcool
adding putty printscreen

If you like I can do a remote session with you and try and help you figure this out.
Send me a PM if you want to do this.

We did a remote session and reset the permissions at the top folder and allowed those permissions to trickle down to all folders/files under it.

• Like 1

simonselmer

As I dont like doing terminal commands, SSH and all of that good stuff (because I dont know what I'm doing in that area), is there any chance that this migration procedure to DSM7 for Emby will be more user friendly some time in the future?

If there is any change of a more user friendly process, then I would wait. But if not, I might as well get it done, dispite being a bit nervous messing aroundd with the commands and all of that :)

Terminal/SSH can seem intimidating if you haven't done it but there really is only 2 commands needed to enter and run and these can be copy/pasted from the instructions in the OP post assuming you had Emby on /volume1/Emby on DSM 6.

It's doubtful there will ever be any type of automated migration because DSM 7 limits what can be done with scripting and doesn't allow root type commands to be used unlike DSM 6.

If you really don't want to do the migration yourself but would like assistance send me a PM and we can setup a remote session to do this.  I'd figure roughly about an hour (give or take) down time overall which would include the DSM 7 upgrade.  Most of the time is spent waiting on DSM 7 upgrade and the Emby copy process.  I typically when remoted in keep the window open in the background and check on status every few minutes while doing other things but this allows a one session migration from start to finish for you.

I've helped a few dozen people with the migration remotely so I have this down pretty well. :)

The only thing I would recommend before upgrading to DSM 7 is to make sure any other apps you use on DSM are compatible with version 7.  If you only run Emby or Synology apps you will be fine.

Hi all,

I think I managed to follow all the instructions and apart from one thing, everything seems alright.

The only thing I've noticed is the plugin 'People Backup' was no longer installed after the upgrade and although it says its successfully install when I go to install it again, it hasn't and I'm still able to install it. Not a big problem but thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Thanks everyone!

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Ninko said:

The only thing I've noticed is the plugin 'People Backup' was no longer installed after the upgrade and although it says its successfully install when I go to install it again, it hasn't and I'm still able to install it. Not a big problem but thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Can you post the server log, but don't believe it is compatible with 4.6.

But believe you should see this in your log.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/98617-people-backup-error

23 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Can you post the server log, but don't believe it is compatible with 4.6.

But believe you should see this in your log.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/98617-people-backup-error

I checked in my log files, that does indeed appear to be the problem. Never mind I'll try again when the plugin gets an update.

Thanks

• Like 1

alesk76

now I have probles when I try to install emby-server-synology_4.7.0.7_x86_64.spk  under manual I get report .. the pacege require DSM7.0-4000 update 0 or older.. but I have check and I have installed DSM 7.0 41890... 

sooo why that error.... ???

please for help 

best regards

13 minutes ago, alesk76 said:

now I have probles when I try to install emby-server-synology_4.7.0.7_x86_64.spk  under manual I get report .. the pacege require DSM7.0-4000 update 0 or older.. but I have check and I have installed DSM 7.0 41890... 

sooo why that error.... ???

please for help 

best regards

Because you're trying to install the DSM 6 package on DSM 7. Make sure to go here to find the correct package to install:

https://emby.media/download

• Agree 1

pitarobb

Hi All,

I'm running a Synology DS218j ver DSM 6.2.4-25556 & Emby ver 4.6.4.0-0001.

Just checking to see what the least path of resistance is for getting upgraded to latest version(s).

Last I checked, even tho DSM-7 is available, Emby ver-4.7 is still in beta.

There's no huge hurry for me to be an early adopter and I'm perfectly willing to hold out for a more streamlined upgrade-path if one is planned in the future.

thx,

~~Robb

Edited by pitarobb

On 8/20/2021 at 9:41 AM, simonselmer said:

As I dont like doing terminal commands, SSH and all of that good stuff (because I dont know what I'm doing in that area), is there any chance that this migration procedure to DSM7 for Emby will be more user friendly some time in the future?

If there is any change of a more user friendly process, then I would wait. But if not, I might as well get it done, dispite being a bit nervous messing aroundd with the commands and all of that :)

We did a remote support session and performed the migration.

@simonselmer is all set now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YvHorMag said:

I followed the instructions, worked like a charme!

Thank You!

Nicely done.

simonselmer

Hi

After the DSM7 upgrade, and done the Emby migration steps, I regular see his error in the Synology log:

System failed to export shared folder [Emby] configurations due to folder [/volume1/Emby] missing on filesystem. Pleas

Is it the "Server Configuration Backup"-plugin, og what can it be, and how to solve it?

Hard to tell from just that line without the full log but could be just that.

Check the config backup plugin location where it's saving data.  You may need to change this location.

Let us know how you make out.

poormanshummer

I really should have checked this forum before updating to dsm 7. Would have left it as is. Followed the instructions posted in the video here. No luck - looks like I'm starting from scratch. That I could deal with but after authentication issues and emby not seeing my network shares - pretty frustrating for what should be an easy update. 

If remote support is a thing sign me up!

Edited by poormanhummer

7 hours ago, poormanhummer said:

I really should have checked this forum before updating to dsm 7. Would have left it as is. Followed the instructions posted in the video here. No luck - looks like I'm starting from scratch. That I could deal with but after authentication issues and emby not seeing my network shares - pretty frustrating for what should be an easy update. Fuck...

If remote support is a thing sign me up!

I got you're PM and responded about 7am my time to let you know we can do a remote support session.  So reply back to my PM and we'll set this up for you.

poormanshummer
7 hours ago, cayars said:

I got you're PM and responded about 7am my time to let you know we can do a remote support session.  So reply back to my PM and we'll set this up for you.

Thank you for your support! Much appreciated.  I'm sure you have your hands full with this. I've replied to your PM and I'm sure we'll get this sorted out.

Cheers

• Like 1