The new update just broke my music library!

pwhodges

You mean you want the Emby client to open directly into the library (presumably assuming you have no other libraries)?  I have seen that requested before, but I don't know if there's a formal request for it in the requests forum.

Paul

Siutsch

No.

I would like to be able to set for libraries also that the directory view grabs also directly in the home view.

So, according to my understanding, you would have restored the state before the update, in my case just specifically for libraries, such as custom compiled samplers (see my thread above).

(I really don't know how else to explain it.)

Not sure I follow that  Could you try again to explain what you want?

Siutsch

OK, I'll try to explain one more time what I mean:

There is the view of the libraries directly in the home view and there is the view of the libraries when you open them.

When you open them you can customize the default view, but unfortunately not for the views directly in the home view.

Since the update, self-created samplers are only displayed as individual songs, unless you very troublesome edit all the MP3 tags for each of these songs, you can only use this type of libraries meaningfully with the directory view.

I would only like to have this directory view directly in the home view, so that the problem would be solved.

(Is it really that difficult to grasp?)  😕

pwhodges

Maybe you want to go from a directory view into an album view, I think?  But in terms of the structures as now seen by Emby these are inherently unrelated.  Albums are built out of tracks based on their metadata, without reference to where they are in the directory structure. 

What we need to ask for is more customisation of the views of subfolders, specifically those containing music tracks - not to make them exactly album views, but to make them as like that as is practical.  Specifically more options to show metadata from the files (if present) even though it's not being used to determine what files are showing.  For instance, it would greatly improve my life if the "Composer" field could be displayed alongside tracks that have it specified.

1 hour ago, Siutsch said:

I would only like to have this directory view directly in the home view, so that the problem would be solved.

On the other hand, I showed you above how to do this.  This is what my home page shows:

MyLibraries.thumb.jpg.bfecc4a3e86b5f1deadbd309fc29168a.jpg

If I click on "Paul's Music" I see this:

Pauls.thumb.jpg.aaa89fc44a8bd418eacc9efe2db9bd4e.jpg

Note that this is folder view, which I have defined as default.  The folders are simply those I see in Windows Explorer; some of the folders have images because just some files in them have images in their metadata, so that gets used.  If I click on any of them, again I see the next level of folder in the Windows file structure, and so on as deep as I wish.

However, if I click on Album view (or make it default) I see this instead:

Album.thumb.jpg.ff087f1b251bb59f511bcfb15e487a4e.jpg

Individual tracks - because these files have no consistent metadata at all.  The folder view above avoids this, as you wish.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

LiaraAlis
6 hours ago, Luke said:

@LiaraAlis @Siutsch has our above music guide helped you resolve your issue?

In order to have tracks grouped into albums, the tracks need to be tagged with the same album and albumartist values. Does this answer your questions?

Yes, it solved the problem. Added albumartists to the doubled entries and after a library rescan all duplicates are disappeared. But I assumed that a empty value is the same as "Various Artists", so I had not expected this behavior.

6 hours ago, Luke said:

And yes we are continuing to work on improving folder views.

I'm looking forward to it. :)

Siutsch
7 hours ago, pwhodges said:

On the other hand, I showed you above how to do this.  This is what my home page shows:

MyLibraries.thumb.jpg.bfecc4a3e86b5f1deadbd309fc29168a.jpg

If I click on "Paul's Music" I see this:

Pauls.thumb.jpg.aaa89fc44a8bd418eacc9efe2db9bd4e.jpg

OK. I don't mean the listing of libraries in the "My Media" area.

I mean the "Latest ..." view in the home page, this is what it looks like for my sampler library for example, all songs are now displayed individually:

grafik.thumb.png.70121fe4590e3cda588f34a6ecf7dae2.png

If I open that library, it looks like this, here I have also chosen the directory view as default:

grafik.thumb.png.0a831ee0736e67cbac6891c9bbf3ca92.png

And I would like to have this directory-based view also for "Latest ..." view in the home page, if that's possible.

I think this could solve the problems with special libraries (like for me the sampler with a collection of different songs without extra customization of all MP3 tags for it) and get back the view in the home directory like before the tag-based update.

Maybe in the settings something like "Enable default view also for the home page", or so.

I hope it is now clear what I mean.

Thanks,
Siutsch.

Edited by Siutsch

7 hours ago, Siutsch said:

And I would like to have this directory-based view also for "Latest ..." view in the home page, if that's possible.

Hi.  That is a listing of the latest added albums.  They could be from any directory so it wouldn't really be possible to open a folder view for that list.

Siutsch

That is a pity.

Because without really well maintained MP3 tags here just no albums are displayed, but only the individual songs within the albums (here folders).

A kind of "old mode" you can no longer include for this type of library, right?

I really liked the management of MP3s before the now accurate evaluation of mandatory well-maintained MP3 tags better and I'm not the only one here who sees it that way.

Maybe you can still realize some workable compromise here.

• 2 weeks later...

A kind of "old mode"

Yes something like this is possible. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 6:29 PM, 513 said:

@Lukecan you please add to the Android tv. To sort by file name and track number thank you

Hi, yes we will be adding this to all apps. Thanks for the feedback.

@Lukecan y'all add a true black background and it would be cool to display the cover art in the background but blurred. I know that you can add background to but it would be nice if it can do something automatically as a place holder. I think that would add such a nice aesthetic to it PXL_20210730_034344792_MP.thumb.jpg.7f5e31d3a4cd6b11ef0c7c40214a134f.jpg

Edited by 513

Hi, yes there will be a black theme coming that many of our other apps have.

Mixeur
On 6/21/2021 at 7:03 PM, Luke said:

@LiaraAlis @Siutsch has our above music guide helped you resolve your issue?

In order to have tracks grouped into albums, the tracks need to be tagged with the same album and albumartist values. Does this answer your questions?

And yes we are continuing to work on improving folder views.

This seems to be not as simple as this in some cases. See below my case with album tagged correctly as you wrote.
Actually, I applied this to my library long before using Emby for my music, because of Windows Media Player library. And it was working fine.

2021-08-04 17_17_37-Musique.png

2021-08-04 17_30_03-Greenshot.png

2021-08-04 17_28_03-Greenshot.png

2021-08-04 17_23_04-Greenshot.png

Mixeur
45 minutes ago, cayars said:

What view (tab) is this and what do you feel is wrong?

This is Music/Albums tab. We should only see 3 albums (NRJ back to school 2021, NRJ Smash Hits & NRJ Hit Music Only) and not one album by tracks on NRJ Back to school 2021 & and NRJ Hit Music only, as all the tracks of these albums have same album name and same album artist, "Artistes divers" (well except that I see that there 2 different names for "NRJ Hit Music only" album, so at least there should be 2 in Emby, but that's not really the point - there are one album by track)

Your pics are a bit to small for me to easily read.

Could you put these 3 albums in a zip file and post or PM them to me to take a look at?

Mixeur
12 hours ago, cayars said:

Your pics are a bit to small for me to easily read.

Could you put these 3 albums in a zip file and post or PM them to me to take a look at?

It's 1,2GB for the 3 albums zipped so 6 time the size allowed here... I'm posting a zip of the pics, they will be bigger.

+ I have some updates of the behaviour. Very strange : Some tracks are now grouped randomly in one album with partial name "ALBUM ARTIST" (LBUM, LBUM ARTIST, LBUM ART...)

2/3 of the tracks in this Album were tagged as Various Artists instead of Artistes divers. Actually, Tag & Rename was faking updating them. So I updated them today with windows file explorer, manually. And here is the result...

If I look at the first pic, we can see that we have an Artist name 'MULTI-INTERPRETES' => my assumption is that emby is only taking "Various Artists" in Album Artist to group the tracks together for some albums.

2021-08-05 10_09_25-Musique.png

2021-08-05 10_11_41-Clipboard.png

2021-08-05 10_11_17-Emby.png

2021-08-05 10_11_02-Emby.png

2021-08-05 10_10_49-Emby.png

2021-08-05 10_10_36-Emby.png

2021-08-05 10_10_25-Clipboard.png

Screenshots.zip

Edited by Mixeur

Happy2Play
31 minutes ago, Mixeur said:

+ I have some updates of the behaviour. Very strange : Some tracks are now grouped randomly in one album with partial name "ALBUM ARTIST" (LBUM, LBUM ARTIST, LBUM ART...)

Looks like corrupt tags to me. As it should not display the words.

34 minutes ago, Mixeur said:

If I look at the first pic, we can see that we have an Artist name 'MULTI-INTERPRETES' => my assumption is that emby is only taking "Various Artists" in Album Artist to group the tracks together for some albums.

Correct, pretty sure Emby requires Album and AlbumArtist to be the same to be considered a album.

For these types of compilation albums if you want all tracks to show up as a single entity you want to make sure both the "album artists" and "artist" fields are the same for all tracks. Otherwise the album will be split up for the various artists listed.

But in the end you need to see what ffprobe sees on the tracks as that is what Emby uses to read track metadata.

• Like 1

Mixeur
43 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Looks like corrupt tags to me. As it should not display the words.

Tags OK in file Explorer, in Groove Music and in Tag&Rename

Correct, pretty sure Emby requires Album and AlbumArtist to be the same to be considered a album.

Sure, but I'm saying more than that. Not only same name, but "Various Artist" name.

But in the end you need to see what ffprobe sees on the tracks as that is what Emby uses to read track metadata.

ffprobe is not only for video ?

1 hour ago, Mixeur said:

ffprobe is not only for video ?

No, it's used to read the tags from music files as well.