The new update just broke my music library!

Gibbo752
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

What if you have an ALBUM title of "Greatest Hits".
You have 5 artists all with this "Greatest Hits" album name.

Do you want one "Greatest Hits" album with both Phil Collins & Queen mixed together or do you want "Phil Collins" as the "album artist" for one album and "Queen" as the album artist of another and then have Emby use both to know these are different albums?

I do have greatest hits albums and emby never had a problem before the update

Gibbo752
2 minutes ago, roaku said:

Using a dedicated tagging tool is 100% the way to go if a user is willing to install one.

I agree, MP3Tag has been my goto for years.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gibbo752 said:

Because it would us the folder structure to help determine albums but no longer does this incorrectly.

It now uses your TAGS properly. The switch to pure tag driven music is both powerful but also shows libraries that had tag deficiencies that need cleaning up.

• Like 2

roaku
4 minutes ago, Gibbo752 said:

Well, I mean...

Albums are now fully tag driven and are no longer tied to folders

Deathsquirrel
4 minutes ago, Gibbo752 said:

As @cayars mentioned, this comes from before the change to being purely tag-driven.  Just to add to that, before 4.6 music was a weird hybrid of folder structure, tags, and 'we're not sure why that's happening, weird'.  For example, the Album Artist grouping was supposed to be tag-driven but I had artists there that didn't exist in my tags at all.

This new system will require some of us to go to a lot of effort to clean up their tags.  In anticipation I spent about 4 saturday mornings processing 2K albums through Picard and then MP3Tag in anticipation of actually having full control of how my music looked.  It was a pain but the results have been that my music is organized in Emby exactly as I chose instead of mostly how I chose plus some entertaining mysteries :)

• Like 1

before 4.6 music was a weird hybrid of folder structure, tags, and 'we're not sure why that's happening, weird'.

Exactly.

Gibbo752
5 minutes ago, cayars said:

Because it would us the folder structure to help determine albums but no longer does this incorrectly.

It now uses your TAGS properly. The switch to pure tag driven music is both powerful but also shows libraries that had tag deficiencies that need cleaning up.

I understand that my albums are in folders but my "album" TAGS are still correct. I guess I don't understand why other tags are needed to use "album view".

roaku

For me, I held off putting any of my music in Emby until the tag driven feature was completed because I had already curated my music files by tag and had no interest in changing it to meet a non standard set of requirements that wouldn't be portable.

So far, I've been able to just drop my music into Emby as is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gibbo752 said:

but my "album" TAGS are still correct. 

But not albumartist. They are both required for albums.

5 minutes ago, roaku said:

For me, I held off putting any of my music in Emby until the tag driven feature was completed because I had already curated my music files by tag and had no interest in changing it to meet a non standard set of requirements that wouldn't be portable.

So far, I've been able to just drop my music into Emby as is.

Thanks for the feedback.

acnp77
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

But not albumartist. They are both required for albums.

The album artist only really helps me when I have 2 albums with the same name and it is not a compilation with "album artist" = "various". But it is mandatory for the library to function anyway? Did I understand this correctly? I am going to overhaul my tags now... just so I get it right.
Thanks for the great update - changing the library to use tags properly is a great improvement. After a little bit of work it will be great 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, acnp77 said:

The album artist only really helps me when I have 2 albums with the same name and it is not a compilation with "album artist" = "various". But it is mandatory for the library to function anyway? Did I understand this correctly? I am going to overhaul my tags now... just so I get it right.
Thanks for the great update - changing the library to use tags properly is a great improvement. After a little bit of work it will be great 🙂

It is a best practice to have it filled out. Thanks for the feedback.

acnp77

I am sorting out my tags to be ready for the Emby update.

What is best practice regarding cover images? Embed within ID3-tag or separate as "cover.jpg"?

ID3V2 seems to support several types of covers. I plan to use "front" "back" "media" and "leaflet", even if it is not supported in Emby (yet?)

But to embed 4 high quality images in every single file seem wrong to me.

35 minutes ago, acnp77 said:

I am sorting out my tags to be ready for the Emby update.

What is best practice regarding cover images? Embed within ID3-tag or separate as "cover.jpg"?

ID3V2 seems to support several types of covers. I plan to use "front" "back" "media" and "leaflet", even if it is not supported in Emby (yet?)

But to embed 4 high quality images in every single file seem wrong to me.

Either is fine.

• Thanks 1

acnp77

I have installed the new server version in parallel to test.

I have disabled all metadata providers in the lib settings and enabled the image extractor. I have a test-album with 2 cover images embedded with mp3tag. One of type "front cover" and one of type "media". The front cover is present in the lib, but the "media"-type cover is not. But there is an option under "edit images" to add a "disc" image. Should the "disc" image not be also extracted from the "media-type" image embedded in the ID3V2 tag? Also, after manually importing the disc image, where can I actually see it?

Again, a great update, thank you Luke. Sorry if I am asking to much too soon. It's just a feedback from what I have encountered...

3 minutes ago, acnp77 said:

I have installed the new server version in parallel to test.

I have disabled all metadata providers in the lib settings and enabled the image extractor. I have a test-album with 2 cover images embedded with mp3tag. One of type "front cover" and one of type "media". The front cover is present in the lib, but the "media"-type cover is not. But there is an option under "edit images" to add a "disc" image. Should the "disc" image not be also extracted from the "media-type" image embedded in the ID3V2 tag? Also, after manually importing the disc image, where can I actually see it?

Again, a great update, thank you Luke. Sorry if I am asking to much too soon. It's just a feedback from what I have encountered...

We don't extract disc images at this time, although it's always possible for the future.

acnp77

Ok cool, thank you. But is there actually any place I can see the disc image that I add manually with "edit images"?

13 minutes ago, acnp77 said:

Ok cool, thank you. But is there actually any place I can see the disc image that I add manually with "edit images"?

The only place right now is the album list screen, configuring the view type.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
LiaraAlis

I've just updated to Emby 6.4 a few days ago.

Generally I'm satisfied that Emby now is tag-driven for music files. But I'm very frustrated regarding the changes of how albums are displayed in album and folder view.

In the album view, album is splitted in multiple albums, one for each artist. As I understood, it is now necessary to have a album-artist in the ID3Tags. Can you confirm?

image.thumb.png.5a0da2ca82f8b43d4b7b5fa0f6a3777a.png

image.thumb.png.283a93f34fa024c96610489bcdefe5f0.png

And for the folder view: I also appeal to the developers to improve the folder view. I totally understand the background of this change but navigating through the folder view is now a big mess. It should be possible to open the album view from a folder. Or maybe you can find another way to make it more intuitive. Because the album view does not have much options to filter the view to a specific sets of albums.

image.thumb.png.098d704c74e0ae476d7b16d317c2c7a6.png

Siutsch

@Luke

I also have a little trouble after adjusting the way Emby now organizes the music, though of course I can understand that it makes sense.

With the libraries for Albums (although I'm sure they're not all really well tagged) and Remixes (one track per folder), it's OK so far after the update.

But I also use a library for Samplers with individually added tracks.
These are now unfortunately also displayed individually, instead of as a single album as before, even in the home view (Emby Home), before the update even without perfectly maintained tags with the cover from a folder.jpg or cover.jpg.

With the help of the folder view, which I had then mostly used for this, the display works so well.
Of course, I have already adjusted the setting for the start page to "directories" for this kind of libraries.

So far - so good.

Some ideas:

It would be great if the standard view "folder" could also be adjusted for the Emby start page, or the setting of the standard view would also be valid for this and not only when you click on the library.

It would also be great if I could set the default views for the users as well, so that I don't have to explain to everyone individually how they should best handle the whole thing now.

I also have a library with individual tracks, which are also organized in appropriate folders.
Here too, unfortunately, each track is now displayed individually.
If I select "Other or unstructured" for the structure, then after selecting one of these tracks, the associated album is automatically displayed with the remaining tracks from another librarys (for me "Full Album"), so from the complete database mixed, what I don't want to have in this case.

Also here would be helped me to use the whole then just with the folder view, also here I would have this view directly on the home page and not only from the 1st click.

Do you think the view on the Emby Home page can be adapted in this way?

Thank you very much.

pwhodges

If I understand you right, you simply want the folder view to open immediately by default.  This is a per-user choice, and is set up in the home page settings of each user.

folders.jpg.52063179061d0b8a305a621231300382.jpg

Paul

• Agree 1

@LiaraAlis @Siutsch has our above music guide helped you resolve your issue?

In order to have tracks grouped into albums, the tracks need to be tagged with the same album and albumartist values. Does this answer your questions?

And yes we are continuing to work on improving folder views.

Siutsch

I know, that I can choose the folder view to open immediately by default and that is a per-user choice.

I would like to have the directory view already directly as default in the home screen, not only when clicking on it.

Do you understand now what I mean?