The new update just broke my music library!

Siutsch

OK, understood, seems to work.

Unfortunately, the library in the Home view seems to always be displayed with the "Recommendations" view and not with "Album".

I don't know if you can change that at all, but if not, that would be another useful setting, I think.

Thanks so far for the tips. :)

Deathsquirrel
17 minutes ago, Siutsch said:

OK, understood, seems to work.

Unfortunately, the library in the Home view seems to always be displayed with the "Recommendations" view and not with "Album".

I don't know if you can change that at all, but if not, that would be another useful setting, I think.

Thanks so far for the tips. :)

You can set the default for a library in Settings > Home Screen.  Scroll down till you find your music library and pick your preference from the drop list therer.

Siutsch
9 minutes ago, Deathsquirrel said:

You can set the default for a library in Settings > Home Screen.  Scroll down till you find your music library and pick your preference from the drop list therer.

Yes, I know.

However, this only seems to change the default view when opened, not for the home screen..

acnp77
On 5/20/2021 at 7:15 PM, Luke said:

Apologies. Our musicbrainz server has been getting hit hard following the release, and we've had to scramble and upgrade it quickly.

@Luke I do not want my emby-system to depend on any external emby service/infrastructure except for updates and license key validation, which is ok for me. So above comment got me thinking. May I ask you to clarify this for me? Do I need your servers to fetch metadata or can I get it directly from the metadata providers servers (e.g. musicbrainz, etc.)?

Sorry to be so anal about this subject, but this is important to me. CHEERS

Edited by acnp77
spelling

It will use the metadata providers setup for each library type you have.

But in some cases in order to use a meta-data provider it has to be through a mirror server as to not put undue stress on the providers servers.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, acnp77 said:

@Luke I do not want my emby-system to depend on any external emby service/infrastructure except for updates and license key validation, which is ok for me. So above comment got me thinking. May I ask you to clarify this for me? Do I need your servers to fetch metadata or can I get it directly from the metadata providers servers (e.g. musicbrainz, etc.)?

Sorry to be so anal about this subject, but this is important to me. CHEERS

You can't get it directly from musicbrainz. Nobody can. They don't allow projects of our size to use them directly. Instead they provide you with the tools to setup your own musicbrainz server. That's how it works for everyone using musicbrainz.

• Thanks 1

Gibbo752

Just wondering if there is going to be a fix for the compilation albums being split up into multiple versions, one for every artist that appears on the album, each one showing a single track.  I waited for library scan to finish as suggested but it is still broken. Its as if the Album view is actually an artist view for that library.  I appreciate the quest for continuous improvement but those of us that the last version was working for now facing hours of editing is frustrating to say the least.  If editing is the only solution would it be possible to put the path back when editing Albums not just tracks. This would help with re identifying the Albums that have been forgotten and no longer show cover art.

A separate issue, apologies if it should be a new subject.  My music is organized into separate emby libraries, not by any subject, just from a file management point of view.  To this end I have one or two albums that are in more than one library, repeats if you like.  Now if I open an album in "Music 4" library it also plays the version in "Music 2" library so that track one plays twice then track 2 twice etc.. 

emby.jpg

album.jpg

track.jpg

acnp77
52 minutes ago, Gibbo752 said:

My music is organized into separate emby libraries, not by any subject, just from a file management point of view.

@Gibbo752 If it is only about file management, I would advise to put all music, without duplicates, in one library. You can select multiple folders to put in a library, this gives you the possibility to add multiple sources to a library.

Yes, you can add several mount points to a single library. Just click the plus sign next to FOLDERS and add an additional library path.

4.6 uses tags not folder structure so with compilation albums you will need to check/adjust the tags of all tracks to make them the same.  Obvious tags to check are "album artist" and artist.

Gibbo752

Many thanks for the quick response.  

Having so many Album covers to scroll through in one library was the reason for multiple libraries. For me splitting them up into smaller units is more manageable and allows me to quickly find where a particular album folder is in windows for editing or corrections.  

As a side note, now that emby has split all my compilation albums into single tracks my original Music library view is absolutely enormous. 🤣

Gibbo752

Yeah, my Libraries are made up from many folders.

Just a daunting task to undertake to fix a manufactured problem when a week ago all my music libraries work just fine.

acnp77
24 minutes ago, cayars said:

Obvious tags to check are "album artist" and artist.

Well, the artists are going to stay different artists :)

Should it not be enough to make sure the "Album" tag is identical for all tracks? Then the compilation should appear as one album. If not, Emby does not manage it right.

Keep in mind how these are mounted as one library or many won't change what you see with multiple different albums showing up.

That is a TAG issue of the files themselves and Emby is showing the albums EXACTLY how they are tagged.

Gibbo752

It would be nice if the "Album" view displayed using the album tags which all my Albums were checked and corrected for over the years.

Unless I'm not understanding you correctly that is what this does.
Can you show us an example of albums not showing correctly?

pwhodges
35 minutes ago, acnp77 said:

Well, the artists are going to stay different artists :)

Yes, but if you ensure the artists are in the "Artist" tag, and the "Album Artist" tag has "Various Artists", then the compilation album will be seen as a single item again.

Paul

• Agree 1

Deathsquirrel
2 hours ago, Gibbo752 said:

Just wondering if there is going to be a fix for the compilation albums being split up into multiple versions, one for every artist that appears on the album, each one showing a single track.  I waited for library scan to finish as suggested but it is still broken. Its as if the Album view is actually an artist view for that library.  I appreciate the quest for continuous improvement but those of us that the last version was working for now facing hours of editing is frustrating to say the least.  If editing is the only solution would it be possible to put the path back when editing Albums not just tracks. This would help with re identifying the Albums that have been forgotten and no longer show cover art.

This indicates your tags are not correct for these albums.  Here's a screenshot of a compilation album of classical songs illustrating what you should have in your tags:

image.thumb.png.864e2eba95b3665fca509c933b60b35c.png

The Album Artist is set to Various Artists for all tracks and they have the same MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID.  As long as these are the same for every song they could just as easily be any other value you want.  Various Artists is just the MusicBrainz approach.

The other key tags are Album and MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID.  These also need to be consistent for all tracks.

acnp77

@Deathsquirrel

IMHO the ONLY correct way to identify an album is the "Album" tag. It should not be necessary to work with musicbrainz, if I do not want to. Also the "Album Artist" is not for identifying an album. I do not understand why several users mention it in this context. Imagine you have several compilations, in all of them the album artist is "various"  - how would this information help to identify an album? If the "Album" tag is identical I expect the tracks to be grouped as an album. I have never seen that this was handled differently anywhere.

I am not sure if this is an emby problem or if users do not tag correctly. I am going to setup the new version in a test environment and see what happens 😉

Deathsquirrel
4 minutes ago, acnp77 said:

@Deathsquirrel

IMHO the ONLY correct way to identify an album is the "Album" tag. It should not be necessary to work with musicbrainz, if I do not want to. Also the "Album Artist" is not for identifying an album. I do not understand why several users mention it in this context. Imagine you have several compilations, in all of them the album artist is "various"  - how would this information help to identify an album? If the "Album" tag is identical I expect the tracks to be grouped as an album. I have never seen that this was handled differently anywhere.

I am not sure if this is an emby problem or if users do not tag correctly. I am going to setup the new version in a test environment and see what happens 😉

The MUSICBRAINZ tags are only relevant if they exist.  If they don't exist in your tracks then you can ignore that piece as only the Album tag would matter.

The Album Artist and related tags matter to this because two different bands might just have the same album name.

If your tags are consistent for an album you won't have the issue you reported, in my experience.  I had the same issue.  My tags were wrong.  When they were fixed, the problem went away.

Edited by Deathsquirrel
  • Thanks 1

What if you have an ALBUM title of "Greatest Hits".
You have 5 artists all with this "Greatest Hits" album name.

Do you want one "Greatest Hits" album with both Phil Collins & Queen mixed together or do you want "Phil Collins" as the "album artist" for one album and "Queen" as the album artist of another and then have Emby use both to know these are different albums?

Gibbo752

I agree with acnp77.  Trashing a working system just to add Various or various artists seems like a mistake.  Bearing in mind "album artist" tags were already identical in my case, blank.

roaku
4 minutes ago, acnp77 said:

@Deathsquirrel

This is standard behavior across most, if not all (now that Emby finally supports it), music library software.

It does not require MusicBrainz or any external software, really, for most OSes.

In Windows, for example, you can select all the album files in Explorer and edit the Album Artist tags in one action.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel
1 minute ago, roaku said:

This is standard behavior across most, if not all (now that Emby finally supports it), music library software.

It does not require MusicBrainz or any external software, really, for most OSes.

In Windows, for example, you can select all the album files in Explorer and edit the Album Artist tags in one action.

Absolutely true though I highly recommend MP3Tag for this.  It's a great tool for anyone that cares about tagging music.

acnp77
4 minutes ago, Deathsquirrel said:

If your tags are consistent for an album you won't have the issue you reported, in my experience.

I did not report an issue.... (yet) 😉
But yes, what you say makes sense. So we only need the correct album tag, and if we have 2 albums with the same name, we additionally need the album artist.

roaku
Just now, Deathsquirrel said:

Absolutely true though I highly recommend MP3Tag for this.  It's a great tool for anyone that cares about tagging music.

Using a dedicated tagging tool is 100% the way to go if a user is willing to install one.