VirtualTV plugin

pünktchen

pünktchen

First we have to proof if my theory is right. @AboveUnrefined @speechles the attached test version will play the black video for 20 seconds before i'm pushing the playlist to the client. So please wait for those 20 seconds to finish.

Edited by pünktchen
Attachment deleted

AboveUnrefined

I just had a go with this test plugin and it's still the same behavior with blowing out of the app as soon as I start to try to play the channel. I went into the app settings and did `Reset Settings` as well, still the same result.

Happens in both the regular client and beta client.

Edited by AboveUnrefined

pünktchen

Oh okay, so it's not the  playlist that makes problems, it's the black intro video that is played as live tv. Please test the attached versions.

Edited by pünktchen
Attachments deleted

AboveUnrefined

I just did a pass through with all 3 of these using the standard client, each attempt resulted in the same behavior with the app closing out

I didn't clear any settings with each attempt, just updated the dll, restarted the server, and ran an attempt on the client.

Edited by AboveUnrefined

pünktchen
On 9/11/2020 at 12:57 AM, AboveUnrefined said:

If it's not continuous and set to start from the beginning of an episode, the episode will play through but then at the end it will quit playing.

Didn't you say it was working with "Single Playback (Archive)" previously? Because that's what i'm doing for the black intro video. Well, obviously we have to wait for @speechles to diagnose this from the app point of view.

The way the application works is the playback recovery can also be an issue. It likely is something in the app causing the crash because we never anticipated some value being missing. The object itself in the json response. All the title, name, etc.. All those fields need to exist in the object. The app expects them to exist. I suspect in this case just some value we aren't checking for validity. In effect it is null and we are trying to do evaluations or computations on it. That will crash the Roku. We do sanitize and verify all the standard stuff. But my bet is something is null we are not expecting to be and that stops the entire show. I can dig into this in just a bit and push fixes to update the app. Do not worry. ;)

Edited by speechles
  • Thanks 1

9OIqFcN.png

Okay as far as the plugin goes. The guide works. It is movies and they show up purple using the correct color background. This is good.

I set up just a single channel using "random movies" from all my movies using "Playlist" to test. Now lets try to play channel...

Edit: Okay.. I definitely see where the crash is coming from and fixed that. But using playlist it does this now..

64A0Yuu.png

Now I will try the other types of playback than "playlist" and see if it ever starts to play. But I did fix the bug with the crash.

I see why it cannot play it.. It sees this in debug:
---- AA ----                                                                   
Nothing from for each. Looks like :unknown                                     
------------                                        

So lets try with something other than playlist..lol.

Edited by speechles

Okay. It works with "Continuous playback" and doesn't generate that playback error. But then it hangs. It is odd. I suspect you didn't need any of those fixes you did earlier.

@pünktchen Can you give the link to the original dll for this without any of those work-arounds? The reason for the crash is related to the streams not being available so it can read subtitle/audiotrack info. I fixed that by letting it know that it is possible streams are null and just keep those selectors empty in that case. But since the stream info is missing this is why I need to use "Continous playback" to force transcoding. That long wait is not necessary either. It isn't that you were moving too fast. Please move as fast as possible on the Roku and I will go from there and give you feedback and fix issues I find. Thanks. I will await your reply with a link to a dll. :)

Edited by speechles

pünktchen
1 minute ago, speechles said:

Can you give the link to the original dll for this without any of those work-arounds?

It's always in the start post or here as a direct link.

pünktchen
6 minutes ago, speechles said:

But since the stream info is missing...

This i do not understand because i always deliver "MediaSourceInfo.MediaStreams" to Emby's live tv api. You will see something like this in Emby's log:

2020-10-09 16:20:59.314 Info LiveTvManager: Opening channel stream from VirtualTV, external channel Id: VirtualTV6
2020-10-09 16:20:59.324 Info VirtualTV Plugin: Streaming > Start Stream for Channel: VirtualTV6, Path: D:\transcoding-temp\VirtualTV6_20201009162059.mp4
2020-10-09 16:20:59.324 Info LiveTvManager: Live stream opened after 0,0412ms
2020-10-09 16:20:59.325 Info MediaSourceManager: Live stream opened: {"Protocol":"Http","Id":"VirtualTV6_20201009162059","Path":"http://127.0.0.1:8096/LiveTv/LiveStreamFiles/d2d913abecf84e8495b0cff6faac446d/stream.ts","Type":"Default","Container":"mp4","IsRemote":false,"RunTimeTicks":599765830,"SupportsTranscoding":true,"SupportsDirectStream":true,"SupportsDirectPlay":false,"IsInfiniteStream":false,"RequiresOpening":false,"RequiresClosing":true,"LiveStreamId":"06044cf0e6f93cdae5f285c9ecfaaeb4_5a2a3696663f2d841ecf750c5cf0f9a2_VirtualTV6_20201009162059","RequiresLooping":false,"SupportsProbing":false,"MediaStreams":[{"Codec":"h264","Language":"und","TimeBase":"1/24000","CodecTimeBase":"1001/48000","VideoRange":"SDR","DisplayTitle":"Videostream","DisplayLanguage":"Undefined","NalLengthSize":"4","IsInterlaced":false,"IsAVC":true,"BitRate":9811,"BitDepth":8,"RefFrames":1,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Height":720,"Width":1280,"AverageFrameRate":23.976,"Profile":"High","Type":"Video","Index":0,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Protocol":"File","PixelFormat":"yuv420p","Level":31}],"Formats":[],"Bitrate":9811,"RequiredHttpHeaders":{},"ReadAtNativeFramerate":false}

Are you saying that Emby doesn't return it to the Roku app?

pünktchen
38 minutes ago, speechles said:

Now I will try the other types of playback than "playlist" and see if it ever starts to play. But I did fix the bug with the crash.

I see why it cannot play it.. It sees this in debug:
---- AA ----                                                                   
Nothing from for each. Looks like :unknown

Are you talking about the debug log of your app or of the server?

Now I am not saying you are not passing in the streams info. I am just saying at the point of the crash there was none at that time. Which prevented the entire experience. Since this is "pseudo" live tv and not real live tv there has to be some adjustments to get this working right on the Roku. That is what I want to do.

No.. that is from the debug of the Roku app. It shows that right before the crash that was sent to console/telnet. Then it shows context and trace back. To the exact offending line and variable. It was crashing on setting the audiotrack/subtitle selectors on the video player which are based on the streams. This is why I said please move as fast as possible.

I will continue working on this today and try to solve the issues if you are available. I can work with you to determine why the Roku is having these issues and iron them out. In the future I expect more plugins will have similar issues doing similar things on the Roku. To solve that now means we solve that then, in the future, too. In effect future proofing. To protect the present we must invest in the future.

You have a media server but you must self curate the ways you consume that content through navigation. Finding interesting content to watch this way can get mundane. You might get "stuck in a rut".

This is sort of "being the network and studio". The plugin curates and becomes the docent of your library creating the channels and indexing the content on each. You simply have to "tune in". This gives the opportunity for easier consumption without the chore of navigation.

As Morty, on Rick and Morty said:
"We should listen to one random song a day, you know? We'd end up hearing more songs we didn't like, but we'd discover a lot more that we did."

The same can be said of TV episodes and movies, you know? :P

Your plugin "is the future" of Live TV. That is what I am saying.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 3

@pünktchen I got the time. :)

Reference: Fix #955: [VideoPlayer] Stop crash when used with VirtualTV Plugin.

That will be in an upcoming Beta to stop that crashing. I will start to debug the playback logic with your plugin very shortly.

PuffyToesToo

I also use Roku, so let me know if I can assist. I'll see what happens on mine when I have time and report back if you think that would help.

PuffyToesToo

OK, When setting up the channel playback mode to 'playlist', it just boots me back to my home screen. 

I've never had success using bumpers as it would get stuck on the loading bar and boot me to main screen as well, but using 'continuous playback' without using bumpers has worked pretty good.

Using 'single playback' always resulted in stuttering and freezing. 

I'm testing a channel with bumpers now and can let you know. 

Psyborg
On 10/8/2020 at 7:14 PM, pünktchen said:

New version 0.9.0 in the starting post:

Playback:

This time I am REALLY EXCITED!!!

After a first test the new Playlist mode is working flawlessly on my Fire TV app 1.8.29a. Before I had problems with some movies or episodes not being compatible over and over again. I often had  to compensate it via changing Live TV options in the Fire TV app (activating/deactivating "Direct Play"). This is all gone now with the direct use of the app for playing content. The skipping of entries is great too and best of all: Now I am able to change audio language and to activate subs!  :D  

You mentioned, that it is possible to jump back to past programs. Did I overlook something? How or where can I jump back?

vdatanet

Here is my feedback about playlist playback mode:

- Apple TV using MPV player, it works great
- Apple TV using native player, stuck in a black screen
- iOS app, it works great
- Android mobile 3.1.41 on phone, it works great
- Android mobile 3.1.41 on Nvidia Shield, stuck in a black screen
- Android TV app 1.8.40 RC on Nvidia Shield, stuck in a black screen

hstamas

Wow what a huge performance boost! Playlist mode rocks!

So far works perfectly on my Nvidia Shield.

Not being able to pull up the guide to switch programs is really the only big hurdle for my use case.
I see that you can skip to the next episode using the playback controls if that’s what you mean by being able to skip episodes? What are the chances of being able to select any episode in the guide and start playback from there?

Great work regardless!

pünktchen
56 minutes ago, Psyborg said:

How or where can I jump back?

Use the osd buttons previous and next track.

pünktchen
3 minutes ago, hstamas said:

What are the chances of being able to select any episode in the guide and start playback from there?

No chance. The play button always calls the channel not the program no matter what program detail you are looking at. So i will never know what program you want to start. And i can't change anything in the GUI of the Emby apps.

Psyborg
18 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

Use the osd buttons previous and next track.

Ah, I see... The "previous button" is planned for the next release of the Android/Fire TV app.

vdatanet
23 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

Mmh, another one with problems on the shield. Really strange! @vdatanet would please send in-app logs to @ebr.

I will do that tomorrow, but here is more info, it works on Shield 2017, but on Shield 2019 Pro it doesn’t