VirtualTV plugin

pünktchen

Psyborg
On 24/08/2020 at 13:56, pünktchen said:

"EmbyDirectPlay (Beta)" is that really what you want? Because it starts the playback always at the beginning of a show instead of the "current" time. I also wanted to remove this option in the next update. Doesn't the "FFmpegDirectPlay" work for you? The "Loading" problem when the content changes could be because of "h265" for the video codec in continous playback mode. But i'm not sure about this. Could also be a problem specific to Roku.

Oh no! Please don't remove "EmbyDirectPlay (Beta)", because I just love that it always starts the shows from the beginning!!! 

Another topic:  Would it be possible to exclude items? That is the most limiting thing for me creating and separating new channels. For instance if I have a retro movie channel and a science fiction channel I don't want to see science fiction on the retro channel.  

image.png.88f0df727a28a9a57e521422cd62014c.png

Thank you for the VirtualTV! It's great!

PuffyToesToo
33 minutes ago, Psyborg said:

image.png.88f0df727a28a9a57e521422cd62014c.png

Thank you for the VirtualTV! It's great!

Can you just use a tag like 'retro' for the older movies, and 'scifi' for the scifi channel? Then for each channel, make sure that it requires the tag that corresponds to what you want.  Just make sure they don;t share these individual tags.

That's what I have basically done and it works well for me. 

• Thanks 1

Psyborg
5 minutes ago, PuffyToesToo said:

Can you just use a tag like 'retro' for the older movies, and 'scifi' for the scifi channel? Then for each channel, make sure that it requires the tag that corresponds to what you want.  Just make sure they don;t share these individual tags.

That's what I have basically done and it works well for me. 

Thanks. But then I would have to tag every single movie and every TV show basically with all existing genres. Is there a way to find all scifi movies via the metadata manager and to tag them in one step? I don't think so.

And even then I would steadily have to monitor all entries if i change genre information later or add new entries to Emby. Sounds like a complicated way to achieve this goal. A direct solution via the respective dedicated input fields seems to be much easier and more flexible. Is it possible?

PuffyToesToo

Those are good points you've made.

The only suggestion I have is that you could go to your movies category in Emby, and at the top you should see 'Genres' as a view option. From there you could see all movies whose genre includes 'Science Fiction'. Not a perfect solution and still a fair bit of manual work, but you could narrow them down that way.  I wonder if there is an app that can create tags for movies based on their genres in the metadata? I have heard of MetaX, but haven't tried it myself.  

Psyborg

To edit thousands of movies manually is not an option for me ('Science Fiction' was just an example). :) 

I once used an external metadata editor additionally, but that caused some problems. So I decided to just use the internal possibilities of Emby from then on.

PuffyToesToo

Very true. In my case, I have movies in genre sub-folders already, so I only need to point to said folder to achieve a specific genre channel. TV is much easier as I can tag at the show level and not episode. 

Psyborg
3 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

Eclusions for genres and tags are coming with the next update in the next week.

Wow... fantastic!

Dibbes
1 hour ago, PuffyToesToo said:

I have heard of MetaX, but haven't tried it myself.  

MetaX is not bad. It takes a bit of getting used to, but most of the time it does what it says on the tin. It's fairly resource intensive though.

For MP4 files I've also used mp3tag as it's very versatile when it comes to naming and creating tags from names

• Thanks 1

PuffyToesToo

For the issue with the transcoding-temp folder not being recreated, we simply have a batch file now that checks to see if it exists, and creates it if it doesn't. Then we created a scheduled task to run the bat every hour. Flawless since then so far.

Psyborg
6 minutes ago, PuffyToesToo said:

For the issue with the transcoding-temp folder not being recreated, we simply have a batch file now that checks to see if it exists, and creates it if it doesn't. Then we created a scheduled task to run the bat every hour. Flawless since then so far.

Emby is running on my NAS. To realize such a solution on it would be much more complicated for me. So I hope this will be addressed by the next version of VirtualTV too.

Dibbes
8 minutes ago, Psyborg said:

Emby is running on my NAS. To realize such a solution on it would be much more complicated for me. So I hope this will be addressed by the next version of VirtualTV too.

what NAS are you using? for example for Synology it's not that hard to implement with a simple cron job

pünktchen
30 minutes ago, Psyborg said:

Yes, it is.

• Thanks 2

Dibbes
48 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

Yes, it is.

looking forward to the new version then... seems there will be a few improvements coming up!

Psyborg
16 hours ago, Dibbes said:

what NAS are you using? for example for Synology it's not that hard to implement with a simple cron job

It's a QNAP.

15 hours ago, pünktchen said:

Yes, it is.

Great!

Dibbes
8 minutes ago, Psyborg said:

It's a QNAP.

Should be simple enough as well. I never even looked at a QNAP, but I guess adding scripts to a crontab is the same as any other generic Linux machine. So, if you can SSH into the NAS to get a quick workaround running until pünktchen implements this in the plugin, you can append a check-script to it with the echo command. Check the crontab entries with the crontab -l command for examples of this specific distro...

• Thanks 1

Psyborg

Sometimes I think VirtualTV is planning the TV broadcasting program each time (every day?) for the whole year. My EPG option is set to seven days. So this is strange. Maybe another reason for the delays in refreshing the guide data?

At the moment "Refresh Guide" takes almost half an hour for just half a dozen movie test channels. If I mix in TV shows or create TV show channels, it takes way longer.

image.thumb.png.381f170c8b34690904e288837b882a40.png 

• Like 1

Dibbes
1 hour ago, Psyborg said:

Sometimes I think VirtualTV is planning the TV broadcasting program each time (every day?) for the whole year. My EPG option is set to seven days. So this is strange. Maybe another reason for the delays in refreshing the guide data?

At the moment "Refresh Guide" takes almost half an hour for just half a dozen movie test channels. If I mix in TV shows or create TV show channels, it takes way longer.

Yes, I noticed this too, but didn't think anything of it as the refresh is less than 30 seconds on 20 channels

Dibbes

@pünktchen just something that popped up in my head earlier today while scrolling through the whole 20 channels: when you click play on a movie or series in a channel, can we have a possibility to play this video from the beginning? Just a popup asking or a button in the program popup you already get?

Dibbes
On 8/28/2020 at 6:02 PM, ebr said:

Moving to plugins forum.  Carry on...

Sir, yes sir!

Edited by Dibbes

Dibbes

Ok, I managed to foul it up. It's now been more than 20min and no indication of it completing any time soon...

What I added to all channels was to not show the tag !Christmas

Also I added this to the Genre, so that in some cases it shows for example: Drama!Christmas

pünktchen
3 hours ago, Dibbes said:

@pünktchen just something that popped up in my head earlier today while scrolling through the whole 20 channels: when you click play on a movie or series in a channel, can we have a possibility to play this video from the beginning? Just a popup asking or a button in the program popup you already get?

This is possible with Kodi. But with the Emby apps no one other than the Emby developers can influence the GUI behaviour.

1 hour ago, Dibbes said:

Ok, I managed to foul it up. It's now been more than 20min and no indication of it completing any time soon...

What I added to all channels was to not show the tag !Christmas

Also I added this to the Genre, so that in some cases it shows for example: Drama!Christmas

Ah the test version. It has to be Drama && !Christmas

• Thanks 1