Show off your rig..

saajan4u

Happy2Play

lol..   I don't think you are far off.. One of the colo guys was giving me a tour and said "this cage belongs to some guys in Ukraine" he didn't say what all of the servers were doing..... but hey..    My server cost's me almost exactly $20 bucks a month in my home at .9/kWh, but my internet is $150/month at home for 120/20mbps.  Since I don't need the upstream any longer I can switch to something like 50/10 and be happy..   

At the colo I pay $68/month with two 1 gig switch ports (+8/month for the second drop, but I don't think i'm going to need it). Unlimited and unmetered bandwidth.   Hell Xfinity is charging me and additional $50/month just for unmetered bandwidth!  I can drop that now. https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq/

Now the question is will you exceed your limits watching all that media from another location.

lol..   I don't think you are far off.. One of the colo guys was giving me a tour and said "this cage belongs to some guys in Ukraine" he didn't say what all of the servers were doing..... but hey..    My server cost's me almost exactly $20 bucks a month in my home at .9/kWh, but my internet is $150/month at home for 120/20mbps.  Since I don't need the upstream any longer I can switch to something like 50/10 and be happy..   

At the colo I pay $68/month with two 1 gig switch ports (+8/month for the second drop, but I don't think i'm going to need it). Unlimited and unmetered bandwidth.   Hell Xfinity is charging me and additional $50/month just for unmetered bandwidth!  I can drop that now. https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq/

Yeah, add a 0 to that and you got Belgian's cheapest colo prices, that with a hard cap on BW and prolly about 100/10 tops... You do get cooled air and optional service like upgrades and revisioning on your hardware... Well, kinda looks like its basically über expensive server renting.

60/mo is do-able when you pay 150 dollarhino's a month for network at home... Just the "cant tinker at home like @ said will be missed.

Now the question is will you exceed your limits watching all that media from another location.

I was thinking the same xD But then again, adding stuff directly from the intranets is not dependant on your home BW and streaming renders the mb/s a little I guess :P

Edit:

For 60/mo you ccould also get this:

rlqITD2.png

Its in Germany, but add about 100ms ping on it and you are good to go :P

Edited by PVTD

pir8radio

Well I'm a little embarrassed to say I haven't seen many of the movies on my emby..  I either forget about them or don't have time...  I like to collect...   ;)  and make my remotely located family happy.   But I can still remote into the emby server to uhh, transfer new media directly from the internet into the server at the center.  So the only bandwidth at home will probably be two or three, four? movies a month streaming to my ET @ 20-40Mbps..  Xfinity now gives you 1TB/month for free so, I "should" be good...  I'll have to watch it.. Would hate to have to dumb my stream down, loose surround or something..  we shall see.. 

Edited by pir8radio

"1TB month for free" eh... I'm "kinda" lucky with 750Gb/mo and unlimited between midnight and 10am so all content gets transferred for 10h every day :P

2017, yet companies still limit you with BW... Sad world...

Guest asrequested

I was just looking at Comcast's data plans. It's not too bad. Not that I'm about to pay double...just because. 

58a516ba548d4_Snapshot_479.jpg

Edited by Doofus

JeremyFr79

All the "major" ISP's in the US either have caps weather hard or soft caps these days and the few that don't aren't far away from launching them.  I have Xfinity/Comcast as well and up until recently was lucky enough to live in an area that didn't have caps (mainly due to municiply run ISP competition)  However those days are over.  I looked at moving to Century Link only to find out they have a cap on their service as well and it's much lower than Comcast.  In my pre-cap haydays I could easily top 2-3 TB a month so it's uh been a bit of a learning curve to lower that lol luckily you get 2 "free" months a year where you can exceed the cap and not get charged.  last month I hit 1.5, this month I'm not even 1/3 through my cap and it's mid month.  Last month I had a TON of backup activity moving stuff back and forth to offsite backup which was out of the ordinary for me.

Guest asrequested

All the "major" ISP's in the US either have caps weather hard or soft caps these days and the few that don't aren't far away from launching them.  I have Xfinity/Comcast as well and up until recently was lucky enough to live in an area that didn't have caps (mainly due to municiply run ISP competition)  However those days are over.  I looked at moving to Century Link only to find out they have a cap on their service as well and it's much lower than Comcast.  In my pre-cap haydays I could easily top 2-3 TB a month so it's uh been a bit of a learning curve to lower that lol luckily you get 2 "free" months a year where you can exceed the cap and not get charged.  last month I hit 1.5, this month I'm not even 1/3 through my cap and it's mid month.  Last month I had a TON of backup activity moving stuff back and forth to offsite backup which was out of the ordinary for me.

Yeah, that's why I've decided not to backup, online. Too much data. Maybe one day, when fiber is more prevalent, and I decide to pay for more data, I will.

JeremyFr79

Yeah, that's why I've decided not to backup, online. Too much data. Maybe one day, when fiber is more prevalent, and I decide to pay for more data, I will.

Oh trust me I don't backup ALL my data, just the "mission critical" stuff.  Everything else is disposable as far as I'm concerned.

JeremyFr79

No media?

Just music, and pictures.  Movies/TV I'm not worried about, yes it would suck to lose but its replaceable.  Family pictures, financial information etc, isn't.

• Like 3

Blueeyiz702

Where i live in Las Vegas,the service is crap and the fastest they offer is 7mbps of service thru century link and Cox in't available where i live,

I think i'm go to buy a google wifi that just came out,unless someone knows where i can get a better service from?

Guest asrequested

With DrovePool you can also use an SSD('s) to speed up the transfer speeds.

do you have a ssd cache setup?

Just ordered 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO SSDs

PenkethBoy

Ok - just remember if you use duplication on a pool you need the same number of SSD as the duplication for it to work :)

Guest asrequested

Ok - just remember if you use duplication on a pool you need the same number of SSD as the duplication for it to work :)

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware of that. Two more, it is then lol

To be honest, I wasn't aware of that too. What the SSD does is become some kind of write cache before the balancer moves the files at a slower speed to the mechanical drives.

So if you configure it, the SSD is the front receiver, it gathers everything being copied to the pool, then destributes it around.

Having multiple SSDs however gives you more overhead space. Speed, caching space and reliability improves.

Once everything is placed on the SSD, the data gets moved around to the designated drive (depending on how you set it up).

Other then that, the SSD doesn't keep any data.

PenkethBoy

Yes correct - but you have to set which drives are SSD's in the plugin config page - it does not guess which are SSD's or Archive drives

and on the same page set the order of which drives to fill up first with "archive" data

Also dont have any other plugins active if you use ssd optimiser as it messes with the file placement - the scanner plugin being the exception

Data gets moved based on your balancer settings e.g. don't balance more than ever 4hrs etc - has other options as well like amount needing moving (balancing)

Have fun - it works very well when setup - if you have realtime duplication on it writes to both ssd's at the same time (no performance hit) and then moves them off later - see above

Do you have more Info on that, I really want to understand it more. Right now it's set up to use the SSD as caching and duplicates to the drive.

I understand your theory tho, but I think it can work as solo SSD too, with some performance impact (as it duplicates to multiple drives, impacting your read times depending on how many copies you make.) Having a PCI SSD tho would fix that as you can hit 1k read most probably haha

I might be wrong, I don't want to hit on @@PenkethBoy ^_^

Guest asrequested

Do you have more Info on that, I really want to understand it more. Right now it's set up to use the SSD as caching and duplicates to the drive.

I understand your theory tho, but I think it can work as solo SSD too, with some performance impact (as it duplicates to multiple drives, impacting your read times depending on how many copies you make.) Having a PCI SSD tho would fix that as you can hit 1k read most probably haha

I might be wrong, I don't want to hit on @@PenkethBoy ^_^

It's in the notes

* If you are using duplicated files, then you should specify multiple SDD disks or else the system will fall back

to an Archive disk for one or more of the file parts.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

PenkethBoy

wow somebody who reads the manual! ;) 

only exception might be if you have real time duplication turned off (so it duplicates at night - you can change the time when it does this but its in an xml file) as it will only write one copy on the er... copy :)

not tried it with only one ssd in pool but when realtime is off it only makes one copy on a single ssd - if you are happy with no dup for a few hours might be worth a try is you do not want to add two ssd or more to your pool

• Like 1

Thx @

I could never find this, probably cuz was using my phone  <_<

I had everything set at night, I guess thats the reason I never really saw any impact on the transfers :P

Also, it really depends on how much you transfer all the time.

you do not want to add two ssd or more to your pool

Why? Edited by PVTD

Happy2Play

I believe that all was in reference to Duplication. If you don't mind not having real time duplication you don't need multiple SSD drives.

Oh, that is true.

I would still benefit from it tho. I got the 10Gb connection up, all servers have RAID 0 SSD's so transfers should get a nice boost from 2 SSDs working cache (I hope, tests will be next week only...)

Guest asrequested

I believe that all was in reference to Duplication. If you don't mind not having real time duplication you don't need multiple SSD drives.

It's not about realtime duplication. It's if you have any kind of duplication. I have enabled backup, so this would apply to me. If you have duplication enabled but only one SSD, an archive drive will be used for the other copy during balancing, until balanced. Having two SSDs, both of those will be used while balancing instead of an archive drive.

Edited by Doofus