Show off your rig..

saajan4u

Guest asrequested

TBH I have both servers with a direct 10gb link SFP.

Both servers also have 3x1gb teamed up Cat6 to a switch connected to the router.

With DrovePool you can also use an SSD('s) to speed up the transfer speeds. It acts as a caching memory. I tried making a ramdisk but DrivePool doesn't recognize it. Might also be the ramdisk software...

Edit: https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

Yeah, I have some DAC cables and SFP+ NICs, but I'm using X540-T2 cards, right now. I think it's more of a hard drive writing issue. Not really a big deal. I'm adjusting some of my hardware, right now. I'll take a look at the settings, later.

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

With DrovePool you can also use an SSD('s) to speed up the transfer speeds. It acts as a caching memory. I tried making a ramdisk but DrivePool doesn't recognize it. Might also be the ramdisk software...

Edit: https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

I'm going to buy another M.2 SSD, so I can make best use of that. Thanks for telling me about that :)

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

With DP you need as a minimum as many SSD's as you have duplication - you also need to add the SSD Optimizer plugin as well and tell it which are your ssd drives

If you use the SSD Optimiser dont have any other plugin's enabled other than scanner - if you do you will set up a race condition and data will be moved back and forth from one drive to another.

The good thing is you can get very high transfer rates - close to the ssd's max when copying - until the ssd's fill up then it drops back to the Archive (HDD) drives 

Having real-time duplication enabled affects the transfer speed as it has an impact (i.e can you controller write at 1000MB/s :) ) - also the write cache in windows tends to run out of space and slow things down as well

All of the above and a few other things leads to a varying copy speed to the pool.

Copying from the pool - where data is not on the ssd's - would be interested in what speeds you get

Guest asrequested

Internal transfers are the same speed. I copied a movie from the pool to the Samsung NVMe 950 Pro (the server machine), it topped out at 165 MB/s. Same on both machines. I think windows is managing the bandwidth, somehow. So it's not the network, it's the writing on the machines. I will confess to not understanding the inner workings of the bus bandwidths. 

• Like 1

@ You have to add the SSD in your pool with the addon, then go to the Balancing settings and select it as the SSD. This way the addon will prioritise the transfer to the SSD, and from the SSD to the archiving drives.

Awkward... I was getting 450Mb speeds a week ago transferring 12tb

Prove:

58a0cfaaaa599_00205ef99868f551592abb15ad

Now stuck at 175Mb/s

DOOFUS WHAT DID YOU DO?!

I think DrivePool is freaking out or something haha

Edited by PVTD

Guest asrequested

@ You have to add the SSD in your pool with the addon, then go to the Balancing settings and select it as the SSD. This way the addon will prioritise the transfer to the SSD, and from the SSD to the archiving drives.

Awkward... I was getting 450Mb speeds a week ago transferring 12tb

Prove:

58a0cfaaaa599_00205ef99868f551592abb15ad

Now stuck at 175Mb/s

DOOFUS WHAT DID YOU DO?!

I think DrivePool is freaking out or something haha

lol...well my test was with copying files internally from any drive to any drive.

PenkethBoy

@ - if you copy from one pool drive to another (HDD to HDD or SSD to HDD) then it will be limited by the HDD (or the controller - but not at those speeds)

As @@PVTD said you need TWO ssd's which are part of the pool AND enabled as SSD in the SSD Optimiser plugin - before you will see good copy speeds across your network - you need one ssd for each level of duplication you have on the pool or more - i have six for my pool.

@@PVTD - small files being transferred? You have three network connections how many are 10g? - if you have 1g and 10g enabled - turn off the 1g (even as just a test) - are you copying to or from the server - DP will only copy data to another server at the MAX HDD speed even with read stripping enabled.

Guest asrequested

@ - if you copy from one pool drive to another (HDD to HDD or SSD to HDD) then it will be limited by the HDD (or the controller - but not at those speeds)

I have unpooled drives, also. The transfer rate doesn't change, no matter which drive(s) I transfer from/to, regardless of network or internal transfer.

pir8radio

Well I just took my first born (emby server) and dropped it off at a colo facility.  I think he will have a better life there...  Plenty of bandwidth, clean power, generator, and cool air......  It was hard to do, but after touring the facility and seeing my speed-test results I feel a little better now.   I have a single gig connection to emby at the moment they are supposed to be landing the second (so I can team them). I expect the IPv4 speeds to double, It looks like one of the colo's carriers are not setup for IPv6, hence the slower speeds.    I'll report how it goes!

58a4af221595d_1488919824.png

• Like 1

pir8radio

You've moved it to data center?

Yes...  The house is eerily quiet with no server fans running.......  :blink:

Edited by pir8radio

Diedrich

Yes... The house is eerily quiet with no server fans running....... :blink:

That's a thing?! Where in the world would you find out who sells that sort of service in the US?

pir8radio

That's a thing?! Where in the world would you find out who sells that sort of service in the US?

There are all kinds of lower end data centers out there.  I went with this one because its not "too" far from my home, has multiple 10gig links to the internet backbone, and its cheap.. lol    I can now lower my home internet to something "normal" and save on electricity I'm pretty much breaking even..

http://webcs.com/

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

Diedrich

There are all kinds of lower end data centers out there.http://webcs.com/

I took your original post to mean that you physically took new hardware to their data center. Is that correct? What about theft insurance, fire, disaster, etc? Can you just bring in your mid-tower or do you need to have a rack unit? What if fans start failing, do they monitor your equipment for such failures?

pir8radio

I took your original post to mean that you physically took new hardware to their data center. Is that correct? What about theft insurance, fire, disaster, etc? Can you just bring in your mid-tower or do you need to have a rack unit? What if fans start failing, do they monitor your equipment for such failures?

Correct, moved MY hardware to their data center (though they offer servers just not enough drive space).  Mine is in a regular 19" rack however you do not need a rack unit, they have "bread racks" with loads of desktops on them..  Keep in mind these are lower end data centers, for people like us... Oh and those gamers..   :)       They do not monitor your equipment (I have software that emails me with any failures) but they do offer Free "remote hands" some other data centers charge for remote hands..  Basically you send your parts in they replace them for you..  But like I said mine is pretty close to my home so I could just drive there.  As for insurance you would have to buy something my server is already on my insurance policy and it doesn't need to remain in my home, I learned this when I had a home fire not long ago. I was not presented with any coverage info... I would guess if they caught fire they would not re-open under the same name lol..   My insurance let me add it as part of my home owners it only added a few bucks to the policy for $8k of coverage.  You just have to look around.. Google is your friend..   ^_^    

Here is a pic i found of a similar colo facility with "bread racks" It's not pretty...  But I guess it works... 

58a4d02a04745_11.jpg

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

Diedrich

That's amazing, guys! Thank you so much for the info and insight, I had no idea you could do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Happy2Play

That's amazing, guys! Thank you so much for the info and insight, I had no idea you could do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neither did I, until now.

Oh dear, all fake russian CS:GO and minecraft servers haha.

JK's asside, may I ask how much you pay (more less) for having your server renting space there?

Here in little chocolat, beer and terrorism country we have those "professional" renting space, but prices are more expensive monthly then 1 year paying your own electric bill or building a second server...

Guess imma have to build my own facility with more user friendly prices instead of corporate prices.

Edited by PVTD

Guest asrequested

But I like tinkering! Lol... It's cool to know that's out there, though. But I guess if you don't have any users, your internet usage won't change, as you'd stream all of your content remotely, instead of over your LAN.

JeremyFr79

Correct, moved MY hardware to their data center (though they offer servers just not enough drive space).  Mine is in a regular 19" rack however you do not need a rack unit, they have "bread racks" with loads of desktops on them..  Keep in mind these are lower end data centers, for people like us... Oh and those gamers..   :)       They do not monitor your equipment (I have software that emails me with any failures) but they do offer Free "remote hands" some other data centers charge for remote hands..  Basically you send your parts in they replace them for you..  But like I said mine is pretty close to my home so I could just drive there.  As for insurance you would have to buy something my server is already on my insurance policy and it doesn't need to remain in my home, I learned this when I had a home fire not long ago. I was not presented with any coverage info... I would guess if they caught fire they would not re-open under the same name lol..   My insurance let me add it as part of my home owners it only added a few bucks to the policy for $8k of coverage.  You just have to look around.. Google is your friend..   ^_^    

Here is a pic i found of a similar colo facility with "bread racks" It's not pretty...  But I guess it works... 

58a4d02a04745_11.jpg

Yeesh, awesome if you've got one device, but damn looking at what I've got I'd be paying an arm and a leg to host my gear in a similar situation.  Oh well  luckily where I live we have cheap power, and my wifes work pays for our internet so it's not too much of an issue.

• Like 1

pir8radio

Oh dear, all fake russian CS:GO and minecraft servers haha.

JK's asside, may I ask how much you pay (more less) for having your server renting space there?

Here in little chocolat, beer and terrorism country we have those "professional" renting space, but prices are more expensive monthly then 1 year paying your own electric bill or building a second server...

Guess imma have to build my own facility with more user friendly prices instead of corporate prices.

lol..   I don't think you are far off.. One of the colo guys was giving me a tour and said "this cage belongs to some guys in Ukraine" he didn't say what all of the servers were doing..... but hey..    My server cost's me almost exactly $20 bucks a month in my home at .9/kWh, but my internet is $150/month at home for 120/20mbps.  Since I don't need the upstream any longer I can switch to something like 50/10 and be happy..   

At the colo I pay $68/month with two 1 gig switch ports (+8/month for the second drop, but I don't think i'm going to need it). Unlimited and unmetered bandwidth.   Hell Xfinity is charging me and additional $50/month just for unmetered bandwidth!  I can drop that now. https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq/

Edited by pir8radio