Show off your rig..

saajan4u

pir8radio

Hp can run super loud on the gen8 and above servers if you are not running genuine hp accessories, like ram, PCI cards, CPU etc. they kind of force u to buy their products. My gen8 is pretty darn quiet until people start streaming then the fans kick up. Here is my server idle, fans and power.

post-1037-14881343661011_thumb.jpg

post-1037-14881343745255_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pir8radio

Guest asrequested

I really need to learn more networking. You guys post things I have very little understanding of...but I really want to recreate what you do. I'll get there...eventually :)

• Like 2

pir8radio

I really need to learn more networking. You guys post things I have very little understanding of...but I really want to recreate what you do. I'll get there...eventually :)

You are already there buddy. You have a really nice setup going!

politby

Hp can run super loud on the gen8 and above servers if you are not running genuine hp accessories, like ram, PCI cards, CPU etc. they kind of force u to buy their products. My gen8 is pretty darn quiet until people start streaming then the fans kick up. 

Put anything non-HP in a G6 and the fans ramp up to a constant 60% because the system is not getting the appropriate sensor readings and thinks the part is overheating.

Guest asrequested

You are already there buddy. You have a really nice setup going!

Thank you, but I don't really understand the networking configurations. There's so much I read on here that I want a better understanding of.

pir8radio

Put anything non-HP in a G6 and the fans ramp up to a constant 60% because the system is not getting the appropriate sensor readings and thinks the part is overheating.

Ohh. I thought they started that in gen8's yea they are proud of their 'sea of sensors'!

post-1037-14881363198466_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am with @ here. Every time I read a new word or system it turns into Google time. Kind of crazy how much I learned in the last few months! I wish I was great at writing progressive experiences to share with noobs like me and help them along.

politby

Tinkering with the networking is a blast. And you wouldn't believe how many cool networking products can be had for a song.

The most useful thing I have learned from my tinkering is what an incredible tool a proper enterprise router can be. The Sophos UTM software is free for home use and is nothing short of fantastic. It can run in a VM or on any x86/64 with at least 2 network cards, or on Sophos hardware (again, cheap on eBay). For 108 euros plus the cost of two Ubiquiti access points I have something that is infinitely more capable than Asus' latest $500 Darth Vader helmet  ;)

Here is the dashboard view from my UTM.I t has three Internet connections, one directly to my ISP, one to a VPN server in my U.S vacation home, and one for failover via 4G/LTE. It also has a dedicated DMZ port for my Internet facing servers. And it's free!

58b339ca6387b_Skrmklipp.png

Edited by politby

Guest asrequested

Tinkering with the networking is a blast. And you wouldn't believe how many cool networking products can be had for a song.

The most useful thing I have learned from my tinkering is what an incredible tool a proper enterprise router can be. The Sophos UTM software is free for home use and is nothing short of fantastic. It can run in a VM or on any x86/64 with at least 2 network cards, or on Sophos hardware (again, cheap on eBay). For 108 euros plus the cost of two Ubiquiti access points I have something that is infinitely more capable than Asus' latest $500 Darth Vader helmet  ;)

Here is the dashboard view from my UTM.I t has three Internet connections, one directly to my ISP, one to a VPN server in my U.S vacation home, and one for failover via 4G/LTE. It also has a dedicated DMZ port for my Internet facing servers. And it's free!

As I add more components, over time, I will learn and adapt my network. For now, it's so basic that there isn't really much I can do that would have any use. More stuff to buy :)

Swynol

I never knew sophos utm was free. I installed some red devices recently makes site to site vpn so easy to setup, even a monkey like me was able to do it. I currently use UniFi USG as my router and like you say it's years ahead of the fancy marketed products

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PenkethBoy

What are your fan speeds? Mine very rarely go above 30%. Do you have non-HP drives or expansion cards?

Fully HP kit at the moment but i have X5650 (Hex) core cpu's in mine which pull more power

It could also be i have not as yet upgraded to the latest bios so fans are running higher - even at 30% they are not something you can be in the same room for long

And i think the DL380's i have - have different fans to DL360's - which will have an effect etc

When i get the last couple of bits for water cooling things should change a bit :)

pir8radio

Fully HP kit at the moment but i have X5650 (Hex) core cpu's in mine which pull more power

It could also be i have not as yet upgraded to the latest bios so fans are running higher - even at 30% they are not something you can be in the same room for long

And i think the DL380's i have - have different fans to DL360's - which will have an effect etc

When i get the last couple of bits for water cooling things should change a bit :)

Make sure you simulate the fan RPM output  I believe the HP's will shut down if they don't see the fans running at the speeds they expect them to. 

BAlGaInTl

You all make me look bad...  

Here are some quick picks of my setup for now

Lian Li PC-Q25 Case

ASRock C2750D4I Octacore Avoton

12GB Ram

5xWD 2TB Enterprise Drives

Openmediavault (OMV)

TVHeadend

Emby Runing in Docker (a first for me)

I recently just gave up my old router for 3x Asus OnHub building my own Google WiFi out of them.

blah blah blah

And some pics...

post-178164-0-21806100-1488247529_thumb.png

post-178164-0-40516400-1488247531_thumb.png

post-178164-0-41365400-1488247532_thumb.png

• Like 4

Guest asrequested

You all make me look bad...  

Here are some quick picks of my setup for now

Lian Li PC-Q25 Case

ASRock C2750D4I Octacore Avoton

12GB Ram

5xWD 2TB Enterprise Drives

Openmediavault (OMV)

TVHeadend

Emby Runing in Docker (a first for me)

All tech is beautiful...well, except apple stuff, and I don't see any there. So you're good! :)

• Like 6

politby

All tech is beautiful...well, except apple stuff, and I don't see any there. So you're good! :)

Truer words were never spoken  B)

• Like 2

BAlGaInTl

@@BAlGaInTl how is the noise when having more then 1 stream converting?

The same as no streams really...

That particular board is  passively cooled.  I'm not sure how it would handle multiple transcodes...  It can handle many streams and one transcode just fine.  There is pretty high CPU usage when I transcode one *.ts file from my TVHeadend server.  I should really try to push it one day to see how many it could handle.

Edited by BAlGaInTl

@@BAlGaInTl I know it will most probably throttle down a lot depending on how hot it gets. My Surface has a 2.7Ghz CPU, but it works for like 10 seconds and throttles down to 1ghz easy... Kinda useless to have such powerful CPU haha

CBers

Who's the Storage Spaces expert around here please?

Built my new server and wondering if I should continue using DriveBender, or use SS.

Thoughts?

@@mediacowboy