Show off your rig..

saajan4u

Swynol

@ jealous of all your new kit. out of interest what PSU do you have in your norco case? and how many drives are in it?

Guest asrequested

@ jealous of all your new kit. out of interest what PSU do you have in your norco case? and how many drives are in it?

In the server I have an 850. The case has 16 hot swap bays, I presently have 12 drives in those. There are 2 5.25" bays, and I'm using one of those a with a tray that can hold 4 2.5" drives. That's what I just put the 2 850 EVO SSDs in. The motherboard has 2 M.2 slots. I have one Samsung 950 Pro NVMe and one Crucial SSD.

58b162da0387c_IMAG02751.jpg

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

I ordered a lot of new stuff, but everything I got was wrong/not working so I am being delayed to upgrade the storage server and I am so sad...

The raid card doesn't want to post, the SFF cables to SATA had to be "crossover cables" (no one told me, nowhere stated on the product page)

The motherboard has trouble rebooting now for some reason.

It has not been the best investment in a while especially as I spend over 700€ on the latest upgrade.

@ I just noticed I bought your same case (diff brand tho, Logic Case). So much trouble up to now...

Edited by PVTD

Swynol

@@PVTD sounds like your having a bad time with it. hope it all works out. i also have the logic case, its a 20x drive case with a slim dvd slot and the short version (500mm) i think the logic case are the European equivalent to the american norco case. 

the sff cable- if you want to use your mobo sata connectors to a backplane you need the reverse cable. i bought one recently - you can see it in this post https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44141-file-server-upgrade/page-3&do=findComment&comment=423986

PenkethBoy

I ordered a lot of new stuff, but everything I got was wrong/not working so I am being delayed to upgrade the storage server and I am so sad...

The raid card doesn't want to post, the SFF cables to SATA had to be "crossover cables" (no one told me, nowhere stated on the product page)

It has not been the best investment in a while especially as I spend over 700€ on the latest upgrade.

@ I just noticed I bought your same case (diff brand tho, Logic Case). So much trouble up to now...

ouch not good

one thing to check is does windows or your OS see the raid card?

with my LSI 9211-8i i get nothing in post at all for them but the card is recognised by windows as are the drives with ... cough... the correct cable

not heard of a crossover cable for SFF before only forward or reverse breakout cables for connecting to sata

Guest asrequested

What problems are you having with the case? Mine has been and is working very well. Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

So the little trouble with the BIOS I had was that M.2 SSD I just put in, utilizes the SATA 3 port. And I plugged one of Samsung SSDs into it. So it wasn't reading it. Also, I couldn't get windows to read it in another port, until I enabled hot plug support in the BIOS. It took me a minute to figure it out, but now it works nicely :)

@@PenkethBoy well, it's an Adaptec 5085 card, when booting the server it just sits at initializing, also say to press ctrl+a to go into settings, outputs a message to wait for initializing.

This also means I can't even get into BIOS... The raid cards starts before everything else and just hangs. I will be sending it back to the buyer.

@ well here they call is crossover, as using reverse breakout it ends up with US results only. Why not make it even harder by using different ways right? Potato potatah...

The case is fine for not, it's just hardware. Only sad part is the investment of 4x new reverse breakout crossover <put salt here> that cost 20$/piece and a new card with SATA ports (doesn't need raid anyways). Now sell all the other things I bought.

Guest asrequested

@@PenkethBoy well, it's an Adaptec 5085 card, when booting the server it just sits at initializing, also say to press ctrl+a to go into settings, outputs a message to wait for initializing.

This also means I can't even get into BIOS... The raid cards starts before everything else and just hangs. I will be sending it back to the buyer.

@ well here they call is crossover, as using reverse breakout it ends up with US results only. Why not make it even harder by using different ways right? Potato potatah...

The case is fine for not, it's just hardware. Only sad part is the investment of 4x new reverse breakout crossover <put salt here> that cost 20$/piece and a new card with SATA ports (doesn't need raid anyways). Now sell all the other things I bought.

My LSI cards take a few minutes to initialize. When I first put them in, I thought something was wrong. But then I got distracted by something and I left it alone. When I looked back, it was running.

@@Happy2Play Yep, cheapest I could find without having to wait 5 weeks and some customs emails for badly reported postal packs (from some random asian country) is http://www.sicomputers.nl/kabel-inter-tech-sata-sff-8087-gekreuzt.html, count posting costs and you are sitting at around 20€... I wish I lived in the US sometimes, but I can't climb walls unfortunately. (Pun intended)

@ I left it on for a few hours, the loading thing keeps moving, but it doesn't do much else. (the ASCII turning thing)

Just to toy around, I will install Win Serv 2016 on the data server, might help the lame reboot problem I have, buts to login screen on 2012 R2 and hangs till you reboot (it even goes to screen sleep when not moving mouse/keyboard and wakes up, but stays unresponsive)

PrincessClevage

Could be hardware or driver mismatch. Remove all hardware possible and connect only one single hard drive to onboard data ports to check if stable then add hardware one piece at a time (check dimm modules are in a supported arrangement also).

PenkethBoy

@@PVTD for future reference on some things its cheaper in Europe :) although i do use China for some stuff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CableDeconn-36Pin-SFF-8087-Reverse-1Meter/dp/B00S7KTYPM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1488064941&sr=1-1&keywords=reverse+breakout

Depending where you are in Europe i'm sure you will find them on Amazon DE or FR etc

@PenkerhBoy You know when you just spend a lot of money on something and you just got everything in the mail, but you can't play with it because of 1 missing thing? How much you go crazy because it's there, but you can't do schnitzel? For a few bucks more I really don't care haha, the wait is so long and every other way would take so much more time :P talking weeks instead of days here :)

Guest asrequested

Now i can get ~230 MB/s as a burst and 215 on a regular basis (and thats with 2 files copying at same time)!

Archive drives are not bad at writing :)

LOL just got 286 MB/s for an extended period :)

I've got the SFP+ cards in. I ran a quick test transferring a 30GB+ file from my old SSD in the HTPC to the Crucial M.2 SSD in the sever. It kicked off at around 365MB/s, stayed there for a little bit, then swung between 240 and 360MB/s. I think it has to do with the crappy HyperX SSD. It's a few years old and it's the OS drive. I'll be curious to see what happens when I get the other Crucial M.2 SSD put in the HTPC.

politby

Got myself a new cabinet  :D from a defunct startup.This gave me some incentive to relocate all the gear to the laundry room where ventilation is much better. Had to use the ducting for the central vacuum cleaner for Cat6 and fiber so now out comes the old vacuum cleaner  :P

Everything is now on the UPS including incoming fiber and access points  :)

From top to bottom 

• D-link DGS1510-28
  • UBNT Toughswitch PoE Pro, Vera Plus
  • Sophos UTM220
  • Dell Poweredge R610
  • HP Proliant DL360G6
  • Buffalo Terastation 4800
  • AEG Protect C 2000
  • Hidden: Vera Edge, RPi3, Mikrotik hAP ac lite

58b297b364707_IMG_20170226_093440.jpg

58b2982f69da4_IMG_20170226_093457.jpg

58b2987c3e6b2_IMG_20170226_093515.jpg

Edited by politby
  • Like 2

pir8radio

@@politby Looks nice good to see an HP in your rack..   is that a Gen7?   I'm an HP fan. 

Here is my Emby server, its not as cool looking now that it sits in a data center with much cooler and more expensive servers surrounding it!  Don't mind the cables I just snapped a quick picture while I was setting it up I was not supposed to take pictures so I cropped everything out....    :ph34r:   (iphone takes crappy pictures too)

58b2f130cf6de_FullSizeRender2.png

Edited by pir8radio

politby

@@pir8radio It's a Gen 6.

It's incredible how cheap these things are. The only items I purchased new are the D-link switch and the NAS. Everything else is off eBay. The UPS was brand new old stock at 1/8 the price  :lol:

politby

how noisy and how much heat do the HPs kick out? also are they power hungry? 

Mine has 2x Xeon L5520 CPUs and 36GB RAM plus 4 300GB Velociraptors. It idles at just above 120W and is living room silent  B)

The Dell is about the same.

Edited by politby

PenkethBoy

HP (and all other similar Enterprise servers) are VERY loud - i have 7 of them and am working on a Water cooling solution so i can pull all the fans (where most of the noise comes from)

As for heat - depends how hard you run them - but as they are several generations behind (for the affordable ones) on CPU and m/b etc than current desktop kit they do run hotter and use more power.

Mine sit at 200w at idle (2/3 of that is the fans) with a dual cpu setup - if the water cooling works this should drop below 100w - cross fingers :)

This is no different for Dell, Lenovo(IBM) etc

HP Gen6 are cheap - G7 heading that way

politby

HP (and all other similar Enterprise servers) are VERY loud - i have 7 of them and am working on a Water cooling solution so i can pull all the fans (where most of the noise comes from)

As for heat - depends how hard you run them - but as they are several generations behind (for the affordable ones) on CPU and m/b etc than current desktop kit they do run hotter and use more power.

Mine sit at 200w at idle (2/3 of that is the fans) with a dual cpu setup - if the water cooling works this should drop below 100w - cross fingers :) s

This is no different for Dell, Lenovo(IBM) etc

HP Gen6 are cheap - G7 heading that way

What are your fan speeds? Mine very rarely go above 30%. Do you have non-HP drives or expansion cards?