Show off your rig..

saajan4u

PenkethBoy

Yes i was surprised - maybe the slowdown comes if the files get fragmented - dont know - but as they are effectively being used as Archive drives then maybe i wont :)

PenkethBoy

Ah - more money :)

have been considering the same as i think you can use cloud drive to a local share/other pc as if it was the cloud while they sort the bugs out with Amazon etc

Guest asrequested

Ah - more money :)

have been considering the same as i think you can use cloud drive to a local share/other pc as if it was the cloud while they sort the bugs out with Amazon etc

Yeah, I'll have to buy another license. I don't want to use the cloud, I'll need to buy more data.

pir8radio

New addition to the family. It's going to be my transcode drive.

I mean.....  You are getting a little fancy buddy.....     ^_^

Guest asrequested

very nice. i have a new switch on the way with 2x sfp+ ports so might use them down the line

I want to compare SFP+ to the 10G cards I have. From what I read about those cards, they require less power and use less of the CPU, and lower latency. Other benefits, too.

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Will be interesting to see what you find with the sfp+ cards as i have read about latency being better on SFP (well its the fibre vs copper) especially over short lengths

Guest asrequested

Write speed from my Samsung 950 Pro NVMe to the Crucial SSD, 465 MB/s. Time to buy one for my HTPC, for faster transfer to the server. It's such a hard life, having to buy so much tech! :D

• Like 1

PrincessClevage

Write speed from my Samsung 950 Pro NVMe to the Crucial SSD, 465 MB/s. Time to buy one for my HTPC, for faster transfer to the server. It's such a hard life, having to buy so much tech! :D

these PCI cards are the go for performance 1.6TB in size

"sequential read performance of up to 2.8 GB/s and sequential write speeds of up to 1700 MB/s. Intel SSD DC P3600 Series delivers very"

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/ssd-dc-p3600-spec.html

PenkethBoy

wow! they are expensive - enterprise drives from the looks of it with the associated price - will possibly last longer as a result but i guess we would probably replace most of our kit before it wears out - or the next must have tech comes along :)

for me the 960 pro is cheaper and faster and with a cheap adapter can be used in a pci-e slot if you do not have a NVME m.2 slot free

PenkethBoy

That's great write speed.

Now i can get ~230 MB/s as a burst and 215 on a regular basis (and thats with 2 files copying at same time)!

Archive drives are not bad at writing :)

LOL just got 286 MB/s for an extended period :)

Edited by PenkethBoy

Guest asrequested

The two SSDs and the SFP+ cards, arrived today. I'll get the other M.2 SSD next week. I'm hoping I can get that 465 MB/s over the network, once I get it all in.

Guest asrequested

Nice :)

I assume you are referring to the Whiskey sorry Bourbon  :P

Actually, It's wine...but hey! It's alcohol, lol

I'm just putting the SSDs in. I'm having a few BIOS issues

CBers

@ What size (U) is your cabinet?

Just bought a 2U rack server case, motherboard bundle, SSD etc, but need to get myself a cabinet.