Show off your rig..

saajan4u

Guest asrequested

I see you put a fan wall in yours. I won't need that. The hot-swap drive bay has a fan on the back of it and the other drive bay has a fan of it's own. But a nice setup you have, there.

Edited by Doofus

Thanks,

I did remove the front fans as the grill at the front was making a bad airflow noise (as the fan pulled air it made a whistling noise) and therefor left the internal fans.

Those are changed too, as you could not control them (3pin only).

Then another reason was so I could put the AIO water cooling directly against that center wall. Having 2 single fan radiators are a big difficulty to place in a server rack heh...

Edited by PVTD

Guest asrequested

I'lll be replacing the fans, too. I replaced the fans in my server box, with noctua fans. A huge difference in noise. There are 4 80mm fans. I'll be replacing those with 120mm, pretty soon.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

A little update. I switched a few things around, and replaced the HTPC case.

58747630109c7_IMAG02381.jpg

What do you think? Door on or off?

58747679bfd83_IMAG02361.jpg

5874769902ad9_IMAG02371.jpg

Guest asrequested

I vote door on. Keep it clean!

Sent from my FlashScan V2

I wish it had a magnet at the top, so I don't need the key. I may look into gluing one there.

Swynol

i prefer mine without the door, i get better cooling on the HDDs. plus mine is hidden away so i dont see it very often. 

talking about HDD cooling, what do you try to keep your drives at? My 3TB SAS drives are usually around 34c and my SATA drives are usually a bit lower at 30-32c

the1legend

Door on looks cleaner because the layout behind the door is not symmetrical. If you end up putting drives on both side then door off would look better.

Just remember the door has a dust filter...

I left mine on so I have to maintain it less over time with cleaning out the dust every few months.

Sweet build BTW

Guest asrequested

i prefer mine without the door, i get better cooling on the HDDs. plus mine is hidden away so i dont see it very often.

talking about HDD cooling, what do you try to keep your drives at? My 3TB SAS drives are usually around 34c and my SATA drives are usually a bit lower at 30-32c

As long as S.M.A.R.T. reports the temps are in safe parameters, I'm happy. The drives in the HTPC have lots of air and have fans directly behind them. They run at around 82F. The server drives are running around 100 - 106F. I'd like them cooler, but they are in safe parameters. I may change the fans, at some point.

• Like 1

Swynol

As long as S.M.A.R.T. reports the temps are in safe parameters, I'm happy. The drives in the HTPC have lots of air and have fans directly behind them. They run at around 82F. The server drives are running around 100 - 106F. I'd like them cooler, but they are in safe parameters. I may change the fans, at some point.

Sounds good. Annoyingly my sas raid card doesn't display smart for my sas drives. Never been able to get it to work with hdd sentinel or crystal disk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will look into fixing the key thing. Like Doofus is saying, the door doesn't stay up when you don't use the key, so in order to keep it closed or open it, the key is a must... Glueing the key in won't work either as it has a spring in it haha...

Guest asrequested

Sounds good. Annoyingly my sas raid card doesn't display smart for my sas drives. Never been able to get it to work with hdd sentinel or crystal disk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use stablebit drive scanner. But if your card doesn't support smart, I think you're stuck.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

I had to ensure DirectIO Unsafe setting in Stablebits Scanner was checked to get SMART data on my Highpoint RR2760.

the1legend

I use stablebit drive scanner. But if your card doesn't support smart, I think you're stuck.

+1 on StableBit... great software.

Swynol

Played around with my controller tonight. It's a supertrak 8650. Managed to turn SMART on and now hdd sentinel is having a fit saying all my drives are dead according to smart. Although my controller software says all is fine.

So if SAS doesn't report smart the same as Sata not sure if I need to worry or not.

PenkethBoy

the sas controller will do that - if it has a management software package for windows you will be able to see the health there or directly in the bios for the card

on my server raid cards - its very comprehensive info - most of which i can't be ar$ed to figure out - good or bad will do for me :)

if they do find a problem they tend to fail the disk so it can disappear from the OS - with the ensuing panic associated :)

may well depend on the firmware on the card how it deals with failure and what raid/jbod you have configured etc

Swynol

thanks @@PenkethBoy

using the software and the raid bios about all the info i get is saying the drive is ok. I dont have any raid configured, just passthrough to OS and then i use stablebit drivepool to pool them. 

58762da895703_Untitled.jpg

i highly doubt i have 8 hard drive failures about to happen considering they have been saying that for around 2 years. i always thought the SMART data that HD Sentinal was seeing may be incorrect.

58762ecd2777e_hdd.jpg

58762ef7b9339_smart.jpg

should i be worried?

PenkethBoy

i believe the issue is that when you have a raid card it does not pass through the SMART info from sata disks to the OS even with pass through

Hence why where possible people flash their raid cards to IT mode (i.e. dumb no raid) and this can then pass through the info - with LSI 9211 it comes through in IR and IT mode though :) lucky me

Some cards however like the HP 410 are raid only and have no HBA characteristics and do not pass anything through to the os

HD Sentinel cant see the SMART info and i guess is defaulting to panic mode

StableBit scanner is a bit more advanced and has a few tricks to get the smart info - try the unsafe io option it might work