Nvidia Shield TV- Playback will pause constantly

BeRealBud

CBers

I'd prefer direct play so the Shield is doing the downmixing from DD+ to AC3 like it does using Kodi. I really need direct play with lots of users at times

Are your users local, ie. in your home, or remote?

If remote, then direct play won't necessarily work, as it depends on too many things between your server and the remote user's device, crossing the Internet.

Are your users local, ie. in your home, or remote?

If remote, then direct play won't necessarily work, as it depends on too many things between your server and the remote user's device, crossing the Internet.

All Emby users are remote users. My server is a Hetzner dedi with the media on Google Suite mounted with Plexdrive hence the reason I'd prefer direct play.

CBers

All Emby users are remote users. My server is a Hetzner dedi with the media on Google Suite mounted with Plexdrive hence the reason I'd prefer direct play.

You lost me after "All Emby users are remote users" :)

You lost me after "All Emby users are remote users" :)

^_^

It's a dedicated server from a company called Hetzner and is on a rack in a datacentre somewhere in Germany....

CBers

^_^

It's a dedicated server from a company called Hetzner and is on a rack in a datacentre somewhere in Germany....

So that adds a whole 'nother level of complexity.

So that adds a whole 'nother level of complexity.

It's not an issue, I have full control. The only issue I have at the moment is the direct play pausing issue on my own Shield but it looks like it's a Nvidia created bug in the latest firmwares. Other than that I'm perfectly happy with the server setup and can't fault Emby. I'm blown away by the support I get on here tbh.

Jdiesel

^_^

Are you or you users located in North America by chance? The reason I ask is because I used to rent a dedicated server from Hetzner about 2 years ago and ended up dropping them due to issues with peering. Certain times of the day I was unable to stream anything because of peering and throttling issues outside my control between my server in Germany and North America. I ended up going with a server located in North America and haven't had any issues since.

You can test this out by running tracert for at least an hour during periods of the day when you typically experience issues and look for dropped or delayed packets.

Are you or you users located in North America by chance? The reason I ask is because I used to rent a dedicated server from Hetzner about 2 years ago and ended up dropping them due to issues with peering. Certain times of the day I was unable to stream anything because of peering and throttling issues outside my control between my server in Germany and North America. I ended up going with a server located in North America and haven't had any issues since.

You can test this out by running tracert for at least an hour during periods of the day when you typically experience issues and look for dropped or delayed packets.

All users are Ireland and UK. My average ping times from my home is a respectable 65ms. I'm not having any issues at all with then. I'm a network engineer so I know how to troubleshoot.

• Like 1

Jdiesel

Looks like 7.2.3 is on its way but no mention of anything in the release notes that might apply to this issue

We're preparing a test image today that we hope to share tonight/this weekend to the users that signed up on this thread to the 7.2.2 Test images:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1090943/shield-tv/shield-experience-7-2-2-test-images/1/

This image will have the following fixes:
1. Resolves issue where SD cards are not recognized.
2. Resolves issue where green line appears at bottom/right of the screen.
3. Fix xbox home button mapping issue.
4. Resolves issue with HDMI CEC volume control causes issuses with Soundbars and Samsung TV's.
5. Change HDMI CEC settings at Settings -> Display & Sound -> Power control to allow SHIELD to ignore CEC power on commands from connected devices.
6. Add support for 3rd party controllers that were dropped in 7.2 with the new Kernel.
7. Adds a wifi restart option to allow recovery of bad wifi states without requiring a reboot in settings -> Network.

Please don't post unrelated issues in this thread.
  • Like 2

KaptainKrypton

Just installed test image 7.2.3 and the stuttering problem is still there.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

mikeB2210

USE CAUTION, THIS CAN BRICK YOUR SHIELDTV

I followed most of this video I believe downgrading shieldtv.

USB A - A cable is required for connection to device in developer mode

Enable developer/debugging USB mode on shield

Settings > About > Build > click on build until you get to developer mode.  It should count down when you get close.
      Settings > Developer Options > Enable USB mode.  The usb cable HAS HAS HAS to be plugged in to the port shown on your screen when you enable it (far left).  

Follow the guide to install adbsetup, should take about 10 seconds...

Select the shield device type you have and click the image you want to download from https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-developer-os-images (requires registration at nvidia)
Extract the folder, remember this location. 

Power on Shield by plugging in power
Once controller rumbles push a and b until you get the fastboot menu. 
     ***Places online said to press the buttons before powering the device on and holding them until you saw the screen.  that never worked for me.  Waiting until the controller rumbled worked for me.  They say you can also use a keyboard if you don't have a controller.  I don't know, didn't try a keyboard since I have the controller.

Check device manager under ANDROID for something like FASTBOOT.  If that does not exist, look for a yellow triangle and install the whql drivers from nvidia. (Half-way down the page)

If you see a fastboot device under the device manager, fastboot commands should work

open the adb software you download above and enter the following to verify you are connected in fastboot mode

fastbook devices

should list something with a mac address and say authorized.  It will not work if nothing shows up or it does not say authorized.

FASTBOOT MENU NAVIGATION

Once in fastboot mode, navigate the menus using the controller.

- Use X/Y to navigate

- Use A to select

UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER

Your SHIELD may have shipped with a locked bootloader. To update the device,

you must unlock the bootloader using the following command on the host PC:

fastboot oem unlock

That command triggers a new page on the device headed '!!! READ THE FOLLOWING !!!'

- Read the warning on the screen

- To unlock the bootloader, select 'Confirm'

WARNING: Unlocking the bootloader securely formats the user data partition. This

process PERMANENTLY DELETES all data such as photos, music and downloads that

have previously been stored on the device.

Replace NVIDIA-image-path\ below with the location you extracted the files to above.

In the adb software enter the following commands one at a time

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash NVIDIA-image-path\staging blob
fastboot flash boot NVIDIA-image-path\boot.img
fastboot flash recovery NVIDIA-image-path\recovery.img
fastboot flash system NVIDIA-image-path\system.img
fastboot flash vendor NVIDIA-image-path\vendor.img
fastboot reboot

PLEASE, AGAIN, USE CAUTION.  I didn't write this down, so most is from memory, but if you google/youtube this stuff should line up with what others are saying, except maybe how to enter fastboot mode (waiting until the rumble to push the buttons vs pushing them before powering on). 

How do prevent the Shield to update after rolling back?

I rollback to 7.1 and when the box boot I have to finish the first setup, then the shield makes a update to 7.2.2

How do prevent the Shield to update after rolling back?

I rollback to 7.1 and when the box boot I have to finish the first setup, then the shield makes a update to 7.2.2

My Shield has never automatically updated. I always get a notification offering the update and have to allow it manually. There must be a setting to enable automatic updates

mikeB2210

yes there is a setting, but when I rollback I have to configure my login Name etc. and than the box starts automaticaly the update. I have no button to stop this :-(

yes there is a setting, but when I rollback I have to configure my login Name etc. and than the box starts automaticaly the update. I have no button to stop this :-(

You'll need to block the Nvidia URL then so.

CBers

That option may be new under 7.2.

If you go Settings, About, Check upgrade, there is an option to auto download or Notify.

It still doesn't actually perform the update until you action it though.

mikeB2210

That option may be new under 7.2.

If you go Settings, About, Check upgrade, there is an option to auto download or Notify.

It still doesn't actually perform the update until you action it though.

Yes I can do so if the system is running, but not when you run the setup there is nothing I can do

jrhessey

No, the setting is there for 7.1.  I have it set to notify.  I didn't have to worry about that, not sure why you are.  Can you bypass wifi connection during setup and get through setup to get to that setting and then connect to wifi?

This is something we will look at improving in the future to have the app handle the downmixing whenever possible. Thanks.

This would be great, and I suppose, that it's (unfortunately) may happen faster then Nvidia buying Dolby license :( Powerful device which cannot give Netflix surround sound to receivers which supports only DD/DTS ... jeez :/ I'm so mad, that I bought Shield a year ago...

Edited by barat

Hi, thuis topic is raised many times now on the shield forum. Try to connect your shield wireless. It seems to be a bug in the android image for the wired connection.

Hi, thuis topic is raised many times now on the shield forum. Try to connect your shield wireless. It seems to be a bug in the android image for the wired connection.

Wasn't the fix for me. However the latest beta of the emby app was a MAJOR improvement. Where I would get 3-4 freezes in a 20 minute episode, I am now only seeing 1-2 freezes per week. This beta didn't fix it for everyone though

I had no success with either using wireless or the latest beta. The same file direct plays without issue in Kodi on the Shield and in the same beta Emby app on a MiBox

Hi, you can check if the notifications are turned off for the application 'SMB Authenticator' i turned that of arround the same time i had this issue. Its somehow on by default.

mikeB2210

Hi, you can check if the notifications are turned off for the application 'SMB Authenticator' i turned that of arround the same time i had this issue. Its somehow on by default.

Where can I turn it off?