Nvidia Shield TV- Playback will pause constantly

BeRealBud

Hi, if you go to the apps overview in the settings of your shield, you can find the app somewhere in the bottem of the list. If you enter it you can see that notifications are turned on.

• Like 1

mikeB2210

Hi, if you go to the apps overview in the settings of your shield, you can find the app somewhere in the bottem of the list. If you enter it you can see that notifications are turned on.

This app doesn‘t exist in my setup

CBers

Do you mean in NETWORK STORAGE SETTINGS?

CBers

Hi, no in your shield go to settings, apps scroll down to SMB authenticator. Select it and che k if notifications are disabled.

Don't have that on any of my 3 Shields.

I have have that setting and just disabled notifications and it's not fixed the issue for me. My Shield is pausing just 5 mins into a low bitrate 1080p direct play that is playing perfect in Kodi and in the same Emby app on a MiBox. I've pretty much given up on the Emby app on the Shield and am using Kodi as it's trouble free. I think we'll have to wait for a Nvidia fix

Has any one with this problem tried the beta version of the app and set the buffer setting to "Large"?

aptalca

To throw my hat in the ring and provide more details and confirmations,

I've also had this problem lately. It happens with direct play, doesn't seem to be bitrate related (happened with 480p streams). I'm using the latest nvidia firmware (7.2.2) and the latest stable emby. When it freezes, the server thinks it's still playing, the dashboard shows the seconds keep moving but every 10 seconds or so it reverts back to the time it froze.

While frozen, shield thinks it's still playing. Play/pause does nothing. However, a push on the left directional key rewinds and then it continues playing through that same part just fine. Therefore I don't think it's file or media related either.

I'm using it with wifi, with an extremely strong and reliable connection (Unifi AP just 10 feet away, direct line of sight). Through one of the speed test apps on the shield, I get a constant 180mbps down and 200mbps up (that's with a remote testing server, not on the lan).

EDIT: 

I also have a fire tv (pendant) on the same network and I don't experience anything like that on there.

Edited by aptalca

mikeB2210

Has any one with this problem tried the beta version of the app and set the buffer setting to "Large"?

Beta 1.6.81 buffer on large

But still freezing. It tooks a little bit longer till freezing, but ...

Okay, thanks.  Was hoping maybe that would help as a side-effect.

This really appears to be network implementation related in the Shield.

mikeB2210

My support ticket with Nvidia is still ongoing.  I sent my Shield info directly to support via the Android app, and the Nvidia tech stated that my Denon AVR's EDID information showed that I only had two audio channels available for use (even though I run an 11.1 array) and I had to send him photos of my Denon's onscreen info to verify that something was wrong with the Shield and that my 11.1 setup works with EVERY other device except the Shield (Panasonic 4K player, HTPC etc.).  So there is issue there in addition to what's going on with Emby playback stability wetting the bed with certain files.  There's gotta be something going on because my Shield can play the same files off of Emby correctly when the AVR passes signal to my LG TV through HDMI output 2, but then as soon as my Epson 4010 picks up the signal on HDMI input 1, it's stutter city.  I even directed the tech to this thread so that he could verify that I'm not pulling his leg or that I'm insane. 

Any news from Nvidia?

KaptainKrypton

Any news from Nvidia?

Not a peep. Apparently it was passed to their engineers, but I haven't heard from them at all. And even though the same stuttering videos play through Emby via Kodi, they still stutter like crazy in the standard Emby for Shield app.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

mikeB2210

Since the error is apparently not corrected in the firmware 7.2.3 of Nvdia, I dared yesterday to reset the firmware of the shield to 7.1.
And after spending several hours watching television, I can confirm that the problem under 7.1 does not occur!
For all of you who have already thought about resetting the firmware, but have not dared, I have attached a step by step instructions.

I compiled this manual from various internet sources and put it in the right order for me. Following Sources I especially like:

https://nvidiashieldzone.com/

https://developer.nvidia.com

Of course I take no guarantee and everyone should be aware of the consequences!

Requirements:
Minimal ADB and Fastboot, NvidiaShield Windows drivers and Shield Recovery Image.

Recovery Image and the Windows drivers can be found here:
https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-open-source

The Minimal ADB downloadlink:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790

Important!

To prevent your box to update the 7.2.2 firmware during the first boot you must  block this url in your router: ota.nvidia.com

The next steps:

• Install Minimal ADB and Fastboot (if you do not already have it installed).
  • Unpack the recovery image and copy the files into the “Minimal ADB Flasboot” folder
  • Make sure you know how to get to Device Manager on your PC.
  • Plug your Shield TV into the PC with a Male to Male USB 3.0 Cable
  • Plug your Shield Controller into the USB port right next to the HDMI cable.
  • Enable Developer mode on Shield TV: On the Shield TV, go to Settings->About->Build (click 7 times on BUILD to unlock developer mode)
  • Enable USB Debugging on Shield TV:  Settings -> Developer -> Debugging; set to On

A popup should appear on the Shield Screen asking for this PC’s authorization.  Check the "Don’t ask again for this PC box" and select Allow.  If it doesn’t show up now, it will later.

• Launch Minimal ADB and Fastboot from the Start Menu or icon.  This puts you in a black DOS box. On your PC, go to Device Manager.  Find the yellow (!) ADB device (depending on your version of Windows, it may read differently).

To install drivers, do the following: 

1. It is recommended that the user re-scan their device list.

2. Locate the device in the hardware list. Typically it will have a yellow triangle with

an explanation point on it indicating that it is not fully recognized.

Note: The device's name may appear different between standard

Android Debugging Interface mode and Boot Loader Interface or fastboot mode. The device

will not appear as fastboot, unless it has been specially booted into this mode.

3. Right-click on the device and select to "Update the drivers".

4. Select Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. **VERY IMPORTANT** You MUST select the "Have Disk..." button (do NOT rely on the

presented auto selection)

7. In the file dialog that appears after pressing "Have Disk...", select Browse.

8. Navigate to the driver folder: 

- If you are using Windows 10 or 8, the default unpack path is C:\NVPACK\Drivers\Win8\

- If you are using Windows 7, Vista, or XP:  C:\NVPACK\Drivers\Win7+Vista+XP\

9. Select the "android_winusb.inf" file.

10. If the device appears as FastBoot or Android Bootloader Interface, then select

Android Bootloader Interface. Otherwise select Android Composite ADB Interface.

11. If you are using Windows 8 or 10, you may receive a warning that this driver may not

be compatible with the device. Select yes to continue.

12. If you are using Windows 7, Vista, or XP, you may receive a warning that the driver

is not signed. Select yes to continue.

13. You should now be able to use "adb" with the SHIELD device and running "adb devices"

should list the SHIELD device.

Reboot into Bootloader on Shield TV

• Launch Minimal ADB and Fastboot from the Start Menu or icon. This puts you in a black DOS box.
    Type “adb devices” and make sure your Shield TV appears. Once you see your Shield TV when you run “adb devices” you’re ready to proceed.
  • Type “adb reboot bootloader” and hit enter.  The Shield TV should reboot into the bootloader screen.   Note: This can take several seconds on a black screen.  Bootloader won’t show on a 4K display.  Use a 1080p display.
  • Type “fastboot devices” and make sure your Shield TV is visible

Unlock Bootloader (skip if you already unlocked your bootloader)

• Type in “fastboot oem unlock” and hit enter.  EVERYTHING ON THE SHIELD TV WILL BE LOST
    You will see a prompt on the Shield screen. Confirm to unlock the bootloader by pressing A on the Shield Controller. Do not be impatient!  Let it finish.

Flashing Stock Images:

• Type: “fastboot devices” to see the Shield device is ready

If so just type the following commands:

1. fastboot flash staging blob
  2. fastboot flash boot boot.img
  3. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
  4. fastboot flash system system.img
  5. fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
  6. fastboot reboot

Wait and watch.  Be patient; it will take a while – just let it finish.

Once complete the Shield should reboot. If the Shield TV still doesn´t reboot – unplug the power cable – wait and plug back in.

The first boot can take a long time! So don´t panic!

At last maybe you want lock your bootloader:

Bring up your device in to fastboot modus and type in the ADB Box:

1. fastboot oem lock
  2. fastboot reboot

If Something goes Wrong

First, don’t panic.  It is pretty hard to permanently “brick” the Shield Android TV.

No matter what may go wrong, re-flashing a stock image should put you back in working order.

Obviously if your Shield Android TV is stuck in an infinite boot – you cannot reboot to Fastboot from your PC.  You have to do it the “hardware way”.

1. Unplug your power cable
  2. Plug in your New Shield game controller with the included USB cable into the USB port closest to the HDMI cable
  3. Hold down buttons A & B.
  4. While holding down the two buttons, plug in your power cable (Keep holding down the buttons)
  5. If all went well, the Fastboot menu will show up.
Edited by mikeB2210
  • Like 4

fizzyade

Anybody tried downgrading to 7.1 using a usb c to usb a super speed cable? I can’t get the shield to enumerate on my computer and I only have usb c ports. I’m waiting for a usb a to a cable to arrive tomorrow so I can try through a hub.

mikeB2210

According to many descriptions, it works only with male to male USB 3 cables. In some it seems to have worked well with USB 2.

Edited by mikeB2210
  • Like 1

fizzyade

According to many descriptions, it works only with male to male USB 3 cables. In some it seems to have worked well with USB 2.

I ordered both just in case!

fizzyade

Been playing files all day since installing 7.1 and no pauses! Here’s hoping Nvidia fix this in a future release quickly.

I had to use windows to flash the image, Fastboot on the Mac was acting weird, would only run a command once and then you had to reboot, I tried all the stages but it resulted in a box that wouldn’t get past the Nvidia screen.

Many thanks for the links and the instructions on downgrading and also for figuring out that this is a solution to the problem.

• Like 2