Nvidia Shield TV- Playback will pause constantly

BeRealBud

vdatanet

Unfortunately I am also a Plex user, and I can confirm that the pauses also happen with Plex, so I think the problem is due to Nvidia's firmware.

• Like 1

Riggs

And an ffmpeg log? Please also submit an in-app log from the Nvidia Shield app and @@ebr will review. Thanks.

Thanks for your reply.

I already did it, three days ago (3 times), and two days ago (3 times), but @@ebr asks me in another publication: What logs?

Really?

The logs that the server is generating are the same as the one I published above, in my case, the problems are in direct play. In Nvidia Shield I never use decoding.

By the way, and for your information. Kodi is working perfectly well, yesterday my family and I sat down to watch 3 movies, and there was no problem.

Clearly the AndroidTV application has problems with the new Nvidia firmware, or at least that's what it seems.

I think it's great to have the option of using Kodi with Emby's addon to be able to enjoy the content of the server.

Greetings.

Edited by HRSCR

Riggs

I'm in the same boat. It could very well be something about the server or any part of the chain. In my case I had just completed a motherboard and CPU swap and kernel upgrade when I started to notice the issue.  The same OS before and after, CentOS. But there are enough people with the problem that I'm keeping my eyes on it to see if they identify something. On top of that I had completed the Emby upgrade to 4.0.2 like a week or two before then. Too much has changed for me and there's no going back now.

Well, I'm using the beta version of the server and on Nvidia, the latest. However the problem is definitely the Emby application for Nvidia (AndroidTV). It is not even the Nvidia firmware. At least I could check it yesterday installing Kodi with Emby's addon, and I had no problem. My family and I watched 3 movies. Is not the server.

Previously I had opened the Emby application on my Nvidia, but after 10 minutes it froze, so I installed kodi and solved the problem.

Now what remains is to wait for the developers to solve the problem of the Emby native application.

Thanks for your help.

vdatanet

Kodi works fine using the Emby addon, guys

Maybe Kodi uses a different protocol that is not affected by the bug. The truth is that I've only experienced the bug with Emby and Plex.

• Like 1

Riggs

*** Error Report ***
Version: 4.1.0.16
Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-rpm_{version}_x86_64.rpm
Operating system: Unix 4.20.16.200
64-Bit OS: True
64-Bit Process: True
User Interactive: True
Processor count: 8
Program data path: /var/lib/emby
Application directory: /opt/emby-server/system
MediaBrowser.Common.Extensions.ResourceNotFoundException: MediaBrowser.Common.Extensions.ResourceNotFoundException: Configuration with key cinemamode not found.
at Emby.Server.Implementations.AppBase.BaseConfigurationManager.<>c__DisplayClass42_0.<GetConfiguration>b__0(String k)
at System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary`2.GetOrAdd(TKey key, Func`2 valueFactory)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.AppBase.BaseConfigurationManager.GetConfiguration(String key)
at MediaBrowser.Api.ConfigurationService.Get(GetNamedConfiguration request)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceExecGeneral.Execute(Type serviceType, IRequest request, Object instance, Object requestDto, String requestName)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.Execute(HttpListenerHost appHost, Object requestDto, IRequest req)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, ILogger logger, String operationName, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, String urlString, String host, String localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
TargetSite: System.Object <GetConfiguration>b__0(System.String)-----------------------------------------------------
2019-03-22 09:57:01.575 Error Dlna: Error registering endpoint
*** Error Report ***
Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-rpm_{version}_x86_64.rpm
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0xFFFFFFFF): Unknown error -1
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.UpdateStatusAfterSocketErrorAndThrowException(SocketError error, String callerName)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.SetMulticastOption(SocketOptionName optionName, MulticastOption MR)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.SetSocketOption(SocketOptionLevel optionLevel, SocketOptionName optionName, Object optionValue)
at Rssdp.SsdpCommunicationsServer.CreateSsdpUdpSocket(IPAddress localIpAddress, Int32 localPort)
at Rssdp.SsdpCommunicationsServer.BeginListeningForBroadcasts(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Rssdp.SsdpDevicePublisher.AddDevices(List`1 devices, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Emby.Dlna.Main.DlnaEntryPoint.RegisterServerEndpoints(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Emby.Dlna.Main.DlnaEntryPoint.StartPublishingDevices(DlnaOptions options, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
Source: System.Net.Sockets
TargetSite: Void UpdateStatusAfterSocketErrorAndThrowException(System.Net.Sockets.SocketError, System.String)

2019-03-22 09:57:01.578 Error App: Error in BeginListeningForBroadcasts---------------------------------------------------------------
2019-03-22 09:57:01.578 Error App: Error in BeginListeningForBroadcasts
*** Error Report ***
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0xFFFFFFFF): Unknown error -1
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.UpdateStatusAfterSocketErrorAndThrowException(SocketError error, String callerName)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.SetMulticastOption(SocketOptionName optionName, MulticastOption MR)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.SetSocketOption(SocketOptionLevel optionLevel, SocketOptionName optionName, Object optionValue)
at Rssdp.SsdpCommunicationsServer.CreateUdpMulticastSocket(IPAddress localAddress, Int32 multicastTimeToLive, Int32 localPort)
at Rssdp.SsdpCommunicationsServer.ListenForBroadcastsAsync()
at Rssdp.SsdpCommunicationsServer.BeginListeningForBroadcasts(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
Source: System.Net.Sockets
TargetSite: Void UpdateStatusAfterSocketErrorAndThrowException(System.Net.Sockets.SocketError, System.String)
Edited by HRSCR

Riggs

2019-03-22 09:18:32.349 Info NvidiaCodecProvider: ffdetect -hide_banner -show_program_version -loglevel 48 -show_error -show_log 40 nvencdec -print_format json 2019-03-22 09:18:32.349 Info NvidiaCodecProvider: ProcessRun 'ffdetect_nvencdec' Execute: /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -hide_banner -show_program_version -loglevel 48 -show_error -show_log 40 nvencdec -print_format json 2019-03-22 09:18:32.352 Info NvidiaCodecProvider: ProcessRun 'ffdetect_nvencdec' Started. 2019-03-22 09:18:32.435 Info NvidiaCodecProvider: ProcessRun 'ffdetect_nvencdec' Process exited with code 0

MRobi

Kodi works fine using the Emby addon, guys

I'm guessing you haven't read the previous 13 pages of this topic so here's a quick summary.

The issue is in Nvidia's firmware.

The fix right now is to downgrade your shield to 7.1.0 until Nvidia finds their issue.

It is already known that you can use Kodi with the emby connect add-on or the emby for kodi add-on.

Going back to plex won't work since this same issue with Nvidia's firmware is affecting plex users as well.

• Like 1

Pog22

I'm guessing you haven't read the previous 13 pages of this topic so here's a quick summary.

The fix right now is to downgrade your shield to 7.1.0 until Nvidia finds their issue.

It is already known that you can use Kodi with the emby connect add-on or the emby for kodi add-on.

Going back to plex won't work since this same issue with Nvidia's firmware is affecting plex users as well.

Just to add it is not affecting everyone. My brother has a Shield and has no issues

CBers

Just to state that this isn't affecting everyone.

It just seems to be a subset of users.

• Like 1

Riggs

Thanks for the info.

Going for the quick solution to see what happens. Uninstall the Emby app , reboot the Shield and reinstall the app back.

Edited by HRSCR

Pog22

Thanks for the info.

Going for the quick solution to see what happens. Uninstall the Emby app , reboot the Shield and reinstall the app back.

It's already been tried and reported on, the only fix that works is to downgrade your Shield firmware to 7.1.0

MRobi

Thanks for the info.

I'm not in front of my tv right now, but there's also a setting ebr put in to change the buffer size from medium to large. It was put to help minimize this issue but it's not a fix. Others have switched from wired to WiFi and noted it helped, but still not a fix. Others have tried a few settings in the network settings of the shield and noted it helped.

Lots of things in here that you can try. I used to get the freeze in almost every episode I watched. I still get it, but right now it's only once every 2 or 3 weeks.

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

@@ebr

Well, I'm sorry, I also have the latest firmware.

Let me tell you something, a few hours ago I ran the application on Nvidia Shield and the problem is still there. So, I do not intend to go back to Plex because this problem, then, I installed Kodi and Embycon and ... Guess what?

I did not experience any problems of cuts, or problems of any kind, we just saw three movies and none presented problems. Nothing.

In short, the Emby application is failing at some point (Houston, EmbyAPP have a problem), as simple as that.

About your appointment "Logs of what?"

Excuse me, with all respect.

These kind of meaningless questions that you usually ask me and I do not know how to interpret them.

Man, what records can I send to the developer from the Android TV application? Is there any other record that I can send?

I do not understand why you always ask me that kind of questions.

I apologize.   When you just say "I submitted logs" I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for in those logs.  So, my question is asking you "exactly what issue are you reporting and exactly what did you do in this log session" so that I can interpret the log.

However, this thread already documents this issue fully and it is something in the latest Nvidia firmware causing the problem and we have not found any way around it.

Also, it is not universal.  I do not experience the problem at all on my Shield (latest firmware) and many others do not as well.

• Like 1

fizzyade

I had to revert to 7.1 on all 3 of our nvidia shields because they all exhibited this issue, once on 7.1 they behave as normal.

Incidentally this issue was one of the driving forces behind me switching from Plex to Emby, I had exactly the same issue under Plex, however, I had been trying Emby every few months to see if I could switch and I finally found Emby to be superior.

I’ve blocked the nvidia update site on my network so that none of the shields get updated until nvidia themselves have fixed the issue.

If you’re experiencing the issue then you need to downgrade to 7.1 to fix it completely.

Riggs

However, this thread already documents this issue fully and it is something in the latest Nvidia firmware causing the problem and we have not found any way around it.

Also, it is not universal.  I do not experience the problem at all on my Shield (latest firmware) and many others do not as well.

I really appreciate your answer. I'm going to test uninstalling and re-installing the app and let you know.

Thanks.

Riggs

I'm not in front of my tv right now, but there's also a setting ebr put in to change the buffer size from medium to large. It was put to help minimize this issue but it's not a fix.

The issue for me start when i change the server from windows10 to Fedora 29. Edit: (In my case) The issue do not start when i change the firmware, start when i change the server OS, i had the firmware 1 week before already installed and the Emby APP working without issues. 

I always use the latest beta's on my server (now on linux) and the app's.

"ebr put in to change the buffer size from medium to large."

Yes, i saw that feature but, before this firmware issue (in my case). I do not touch that setting because needs to be used if ebr ask you to change it (indication is on the setting). However when the problem start on my device, I change the value but i never see any difference.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by HRSCR

The issue for me start when i change the server from windows10 to Fedora 29. I always use the latest beta's on my server (now on linux) and the app's.

It is quite possible you are seeing something else.  You have an ffmpeg log from the problem playback?

Riggs

It is quite possible you are seeing something else.  You have an ffmpeg log from the problem playback?

In the server?

Most of my playbacks are direct play

The server is not showing any ffmpeg, i pasted here one part of one of the logs: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66681-nvidia-shield-tv-playback-will-pause-constantly/page-13&do=findComment&comment=720550

This, below, is a capture of what i have in the server.

What you need or when i can find that ffmpeg log to send you?

5c964edcf0aa0_logs.jpg

Okay, if it is direct playing then you may be experiencing this Nvidia issue.  Thx.

• Like 1

Riggs

One movie is playing now after uninstall, reboot and re-install the Emby APP 1.6.97g  in the Shield. 40 minutes and is ok, i let you know with the log in a while

Riggs

Okay, if it is direct playing then you may be experiencing this Nvidia issue.  Thx.

Okay @@ebr this is almost real time

I sent you a report from the Shield ---> HRS or HRSCR or HRSCR-SHIELD (please let me know which is the user for future reference).

Here the server log with debug.

One interesting thing. I was working in my computer in the first floor, meanwhile the shield on the second floor was playing the movie... and... the movie stops (don't know exactly when) one my kids let me know that the movie was freezed. BUT at the moment that i knew, the server was reporting that the movie was playing.

I hope that helps.

debug-serverlog.txt

Edited by HRSCR

nebster

@ Have you tried the "Playback problems..." button?

If that fixes it, then it is the same issue as this and you need to wait for NVIDIA to fix it, not the Emby team.

If it doesn't, then it is a different issue. Open a new thread about your issue.

• Like 1