Nvidia Shield TV- Playback will pause constantly

BeRealBud

Can you try lowering the in-app quality setting to force a transcode? Thanks.

No issues with freezing during transcoding that I've seen so far. The only time I get the freezing is when direct playing.

Are the connections different between the Shields that do have the problem vs. ones that don't?  (wireless vs wired)

2 are usually wired with 1 wireless. The one giving me issues is one of the wired ones. I read a suggestion earlier in the thread to try it on wifi so for the past few days it's been on wifi and no difference.

BeRealBud

What are the bitrates of these videos? Perhaps it is just too much.

I can watch a video with a bit rate of 50+MBs transcoding without issues and then watch a video with a bit rate of 3MBs through direct play and the video will stop playing due to loading issues. My internet speed is 1000/1000. This isn't a bandwidth issue. This is a direct play/Nvidia shield compatibility issue. Edited by BeRealBud

What are the bitrates of these videos? Perhaps it is just too much.

The Deed - Bitrate 3.59Mbps

Queen of the South - Bitrate 4.09Mbps

KaptainKrypton

+1 for this. Playback correction engages transcoding, which plays back well, though is of reduced quality of course. Two files tested were one to one mkv rips of Baraka and Samsara. Both files direct played perfectly fine with VLC. Whatever Nvidia rolled out with the last update is driving me nuts. LOL

Edited by KaptainKrypton

KaptainKrypton

Edit: Support ticket open with Nvidia regarding the playback stuttering.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Edited by KaptainKrypton
  • Like 1

mikeB2210

It's the 7.2 update. I had the same issue, rolled back to 7.1 and I'm back to normal. I would recommend doing that if you're experiencing this issue.

How did yiu the rollback? Is there a guide? And where can I download the 7.1?

MRobi

How did yiu the rollback? Is there a guide? And where can I download the 7.1?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1065449/shield-tv/diy-how-to-downgrade-shield-tv-2017-16gb-from-shield-experience-7-0-2-to-6-3-0/

It's not a task for the faint of heart and you'll lose all data on your shield, essentially starting over.

For now I'm just force transcoding all media until a fix comes out.

• Like 1

KaptainKrypton

Just updated to 7.2.2 and can confirm freezing is still happening.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Yep. Still having massive stuttering on straight 1:1 rips of Baraka and Samsara. They fixed Dolby Atmos though. So I suppose that's something.

MRobi

Yep. Still having massive stuttering on straight 1:1 rips of Baraka and Samsara. They fixed Dolby Atmos though. So I suppose that's something.

What baffles me is that it's only happening on 1 of my devices and only with Emby.

I'm personally assuming it has something to do with audio, mainly because my digital audio light on the amplifier shuts off every time it freezes. My other devices are all run through soundbars. My father has 2 shield's, 1 running through an amplifier that's a step down from mine and experiencing the exact same issues when direct playing, and the same thing with the digital audio light shutting off.

mikeB2210

I have made also the update to 7.2.2 - hoping that this solved the problem, but it´s still freezing...

When I watch the movies / Series with Kodi (using the Emby Add-on) it runs without stopping.

Yeah same issue here. I can direct play anything using Kodi with the Emby for Kodi addon. I have tested with some 30+Mbit movies but when I direct play the same files in the Emby app I get freezing every few minutes. I'm even getting freezing with media as low as 3Mbit.

Are any of you running the Android TV app beta?

Also, please report exactly what audio format these items have.

Thanks.

KaptainKrypton

I'm not running the Android beta but as another testing overlap I realized that my LG TV has the Emby app so I streamed the same videos directly on the same network and they played flawlessly so this is all Shield related, I think.  I wonder if this could be related to the audio codecs in some way since they're higher resolution?

Baraka file stats:

Video
Codec: VC-1 (27.33 Mbps)
Resolution: 1080p

Audio
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (96kHz, 24-bit)

Samsara file stats:

Video
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC (32.14 Mbps)
Resolution: 1080p

Audio
Music: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 (96kHz, 24-bit)

It seems that the latest firmware updates on the Shield cause problems with high-bitrate content.  I don't know that there is a resolution yet.

• Like 1

KaptainKrypton

I've still got my support ticket open with Nvidia and as I find anything out I'll try to keep communication open here in case they have anything to say.  They fixed the Atmos issue quickly but after examining the threads on Nvidia's forums, they've got A LOT of stuff that went haywire with the latest updates.

KaptainKrypton
Response By Email (Abrar) (01/10/2019 11:56 AM)
Hello ,

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

Your case is being escalated to our Level-2 team. The technician from the Level-2 team will review the case notes and will contact you as soon they can to assist or point you in the right direction.

Best Regards,
Abrar
NVIDIA Customer Care

Customer By CSS Email (01/09/2019 02:41 PM)

Atmos functionality seems to be up and running at present, though Amazon
Prime Video doesn't show the indicator for Jack Ryan having Atmos on it's
interface. So unless you know that a show has it beforehand, you couldn't
tell by looking at the GUI.

Video playback in Emby is still choppy and stuttering after the update on
1:1 mkv rips. These files play on other devices to including Emby's
desktop app for Windows 10, CyberLink powerdvd 17, and VLC media player for
shield. Whatever that update did last month has messed up playback in this
application.

Are the network connections different between the devices?

2 were hardwired and 1 wifi. One of the hardwired units was freezing so I switched it to wifi without any luck. 

Are any of you running the Android TV app beta?

Also, please report exactly what audio format these items have.

Thanks.

I'm not using the beta. 

The latest file to freeze is a Daniel Tiger episode for my daughter. Video codec is H264 with a 1.32Mbps bitrate. Audio Codec is OPUS, bitrate is showing <unknown> although I can't imagine it being a high bitrate audio format, this file is a youtube download.

It seems that the latest firmware updates on the Shield cause problems with high-bitrate content.  I don't know that there is a resolution yet.

Just checked 2 other files I had posted earlier that I had issues with.

The Deed
Video: HEVC 3.59Mbps
Audio: AAC 192kbps

Queen of the South
Video: H264 4.09mbps
Audio AAC 192kbps

I wouldn't call any of these high bitrate content.

I also can't think of any difference between direct playing through the emby app vs direct playing through kodi using the emby addon, plex, or even vlc. Direct play should essentially just be telling the shield where to find the file. However we've all only has the freezing with the emby app. Makes zero sense to me.

mikeB2210

I‘m running 1.6.73g I thinks thats the beta version.

Tonight I watch 2 series with DTS 5.1 without any problems (running time around 58 min each). Than I look 2 Big Bang episodes in DD 5.1 also without problems. Later on I startet an other episode of one of my series (DTS 5.1) one freezing after 22min.

I also remember that I have 2 times freezing by watching the equalizer also with DTS 5.1 sound.

Handl3vogn

I'm also having these issues, last night I got these frese/pause 3-4 times trying to watch the latest blacklist episode.

I'm using a 2015 shield running 7.2.2 with latest stable android tv app, All connections is wired and running on local LAN.

Server is also running latest stable 3.5.3.0

Some media info in picture:

5c3b332d8ba62_Skjermbildefra201901131345

Edited by Handl3vogn