Nvidia Shield TV- Playback will pause constantly

BeRealBud

Did you do the restart of the device between?

Also, what you are describing as a problem for you sounds like simply a setting that got changed back to defaults on the reinstall.

Yes, cleared cache, cleared data, then uninstalled, rebooted, then reinstalled

BeRealBud

This sounds promising. Everyone with this issue should try that procedure. BE SURE you re-start the Shield between uninstalling and re-installing the app.

I've done that numerous times. Factory reset twice. Tried the beta versions. Used chrome. Used kodie.The only "convenient" method that allows a full play through without issues is by pausing the video and selecting Playback Correction. Can't you just allow that to be an option that we can toggle on so that it is automatically enabled before any video starts? A band aid for now until this is sorted?

BeRealBud

The only thing I haven't tried is packaging up my shield and sending it to you guys so you can really diagnose the problem lol.

D34DC3N73R

I'm also curious as to whether those experiencing issues use the OTA upgrade or the full image upgrade. (Settings -> developer options -> scroll to the bottom and select "Provide full system upgrades")
Also for those having issues, has the shield ever been rooted/boot loader unlocked?

I'm also curious as to whether those experiencing issues use the OTA upgrade or the full image upgrade. (Settings -> developer options -> scroll to the bottom and select "Provide full system upgrades")

Also for those having issues, has the shield ever been rooted/boot loader unlocked?

My updates have always been incremental which is the default. I've never rooted or unlocked the bootloader on my Shield, never had the need

I can't for the life of me get the Emby app to downmix DD+ to Ac3 again since I reinstalled the app. I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times, it just will not downmix

Edited by colfin22

My updates have always been incremental which is the default. I've never rooted or unlocked the bootloader on my Shield, never had the need

I can't for the life of me get the Emby app to downmix DD+ to Ac3 again since I reinstalled the app. I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times, it just will not downmix

Hi, did you check the downmix setting in the app's settings?

In order for this to happen, your system would need to report support for DD but NOT DD+.  Do you have an optical connection to your receiver?

Exactly what is the audio setup?

Thanks.

Hi, did you check the downmix setting in the app's settings?

Yes, it's the other way around, you have enable the support for DTS HD passthrough. Unchecking it makes no difference I get no audio when playing DD+ etc, it's not downmixing. DTS and DD plays fine.

In order for this to happen, your system would need to report support for DD but NOT DD+.  Do you have an optical connection to your receiver?

Exactly what is the audio setup?

Thanks.

Yes, I've a hdmi switch with optical out to an old surround receiver that only has optical. The strange thing is this worked for months as it should then stopped working a version or 2 back. I updated the Emby app to the very latest beta which fixed my issue as I already reported here but after I did a reinstall of the app to try fix the stuttering issue I can't get downmixing to work again.

Edited by colfin22

Yes, I've a hdmi switch with optical out to an old surround receiver that only has optical. The strange thing is this worked for months as it should then stopped working a version or 2 back. I updated the Emby app to the very latest beta which fixed my issue as I already reported here but after I did a reinstall of the app to try fix the stuttering issue I can't get downmixing to work again.

And you're positive that you re-installed the beta version?  What is the version number?

And you're positive that you re-installed the beta version?  What is the version number?

Yes, because i tried stable also, I've left the programme and installed stable for a try but I've now rejoined the beta and it has updated.

Installed is saying Version 1.6.77g

How about audio settings on the Shield itself?  Any chance those were reset?

I've tried both auto and always on the shield. The third option is downmix to stereo.

The DTS HD passthrough option disappears when I select auto, and reappears when I change back to always

CBers

For the record, I have a Shield connected to my Sonos Beam via optical.

The Sonos Beam doesn't play DTS or anything better than DD, so all of my videos with DD+ are always remuxed to DD (AC3) without any issues.

Emby ATV app audio setting is set to AUTO.

On the Shield itself, the Surround Sound option is set to "Automatic".

Just thought I'd mention it.

For the record, I have a Shield connected to my Sonos Beam via optical.

The Sonos Beam doesn't play DTS or anything better than DD, so all of my videos with DD+ are always remuxed to DD (AC3) without any issues.

Emby ATV app audio setting is set to AUTO.

On the Shield itself, the Surround Sound option is set to "Automatic".

Just thought I'd mention it.

Right, that sorted it. I set the Shield to auto and rebooted this time. After a reboot I have no DTS-HD passthrough option in Emby but it is downmixing DD+ to AC3. I had the option disabled in Emby before changing the Shield to auto

This hasn't fixed the pausing issue but I can force transcode to fix it

Edited by colfin22
  • Like 1

Just noticed that if I play a file with DD+ audio in the Emby app it direct streams and transcodes the audio, if I play the same file in Kodi it direct plays and the Shield downmixes the audio.

Is this the way it's supposed to work?

Edited by colfin22

Just noticed that if I play a file with DD+ audio in the Emby app it direct streams and transcodes the audio, if I play the same file in Kodi it direct plays and the Shield downmixes the audio.

This is something we will look at improving in the future to have the app handle the downmixing whenever possible. Thanks.

• Like 1

This is something we will look at improving in the future to have the app handle the downmixing whenever possible. Thanks.

I don't mind for now, direct streaming fixes the direct play pausing issue on the Shield

CBers

Same video quality, but better audio with AC3 :)

Sorry, doing what?

I'd prefer direct play so the Shield is doing the downmixing from DD+ to AC3 like it does using Kodi. I really need direct play with lots of users at times

CBers

I'd prefer direct play so the Shield is doing the downmixing from DD+ to AC3 like it does using Kodi. I really need direct play with lots of users at times

The Emby ATV app either downmixes to stereo on the Shield if that option is set, or has the server remux to AC3.

Not sure the Emby app can downmix to AC3 on the Shield itself.

@@ebr?

The Emby ATV app either downmixes to stereo on the Shield if that option is set, or has the server remux to AC3.

@@ebr?

It doesn't look like it can. Kodi with the Emby for Kodi add-on can Edited by colfin22

@@ebr?

Correct.  We cannot convert to multi-channel AC3 on the client.  Converting on the server is a pretty painless process though.  If you don't care about 5.1, you can set it to downmix and then it will do it on the client.

Ok, just to recap and leave a simple fix post that can be linked to this is the method you use to get AC3 downmix working in the Emby app on the Shield

1. Set the Shield surround to always, to do this open settings > display and sound > advanced settings > surround sound > set to always
  2. Open the Emby app, settings > playback > audio output > set to auto. Uncheck the checkbox for allowing DTS-HD passthrough
  3. Close and kill the Emby app, press home button twice and X out of it so it's not running in the background
  4. Set the Shield surround to auto, to do this open settings > display and sound > advanced settings > surround sound > set to auto
  5. Open the Emby app, if you check settings the option to enable DTS-HD passthrough is no longer there but downmixing will work
Edited by colfin22