Nvidia Shield TV- Playback will pause constantly

BeRealBud

whosduhboss

FWIW, I've had issues with my shield after updating to 7.2. Seems something goes wrong when "updating/optimizing" apps after an upgrade. Uninstalling the app, doing a restart on the shield and reinstalling the app worked in my case.

Maybe my newbness may be misinterpreting the logic but wouldnt an uninstall and delete if any left over file get the same result? Or is it the os creating the bug when it's optimizing itself to us the app?

D34DC3N73R

Maybe my newbness may be misinterpreting the logic but wouldnt an uninstall and delete if any left over file get the same result? Or is it the os creating the bug when it's optimizing itself to us the app?

You would think so, but it seemed to me that parts of the app were still cached until the shield was restarted without the app installed.

My support ticket with Nvidia is still ongoing.  I sent my Shield info directly to support via the Android app, and the Nvidia tech stated that my Denon AVR's EDID information showed that I only had two audio channels available for use (even though I run an 11.1 array) and I had to send him photos of my Denon's onscreen info to verify that something was wrong with the Shield and that my 11.1 setup works with EVERY other device except the Shield (Panasonic 4K player, HTPC etc.).  So there is issue there in addition to what's going on with Emby playback stability wetting the bed with certain files.  There's gotta be something going on because my Shield can play the same files off of Emby correctly when the AVR passes signal to my LG TV through HDMI output 2, but then as soon as my Epson 4010 picks up the signal on HDMI input 1, it's stutter city.  I even directed the tech to this thread so that he could verify that I'm not pulling his leg or that I'm insane. 

This further supports my theory that it's something on the audio side. NVidia reached out to me with a series of questions, model of shield, brand of tv, how it's connected, and then they ask if it's running through an A/V receiver, if yes which model and if the issue goes away when it's not plugged in through the receiver...

• Like 1

KaptainKrypton

Have the beta installed.  Played my files of Baraka and Samsara.  When I hit the Playback Correction function, this time instead of transcoding it remuxed the video.  And everything played smoothly!  However the audio was dropped from the native DTS-HD Master Audio track on Samsara down to Dolby Digital.  So, I think we're on the money with the audio side of things screwing stuff up.  It's no coincidence that high-res file types of this magnitude (high bitrate DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby Atmos) have problems with the latest Nvidia update and all of a sudden the Atmos functionality screws up on other apps simultaneously.  Nvidia didn't really give us that great of a present for X-mas this year. *LOL*

This further supports my theory that it's something on the audio side. NVidia reached out to me with a series of questions, model of shield, brand of tv, how it's connected, and then they ask if it's running through an A/V receiver, if yes which model and if the issue goes away when it's not plugged in through the receiver...

Very interested if the latest app beta has any impact on this (good or bad)...

I've had the tv going all evening. Almost 5hrs straight. Every file direct played except for one which remuxed. I'd say probably 10 different files total. Not one freeze or playback issue. I'm very optimistic here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I've had the tv going all evening. Almost 5hrs straight. Every file direct played except for one which remuxed. I'd say probably 10 different files total. Not one freeze or playback issue. I'm very optimistic here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

That is encouraging.  Thanks.

Have the beta installed.  Played my files of Baraka and Samsara.  When I hit the Playback Correction function, this time instead of transcoding it remuxed the video.  And everything played smoothly!  However the audio was dropped from the native DTS-HD Master Audio track on Samsara down to Dolby Digital.  So, I think we're on the money with the audio side of things screwing stuff up.  It's no coincidence that high-res file types of this magnitude (high bitrate DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby Atmos) have problems with the latest Nvidia update and all of a sudden the Atmos functionality screws up on other apps simultaneously.  Nvidia didn't really give us that great of a present for X-mas this year. *LOL*

Why did you hit the "Playback Correction"?  Were the files not playing properly?

I've noticed the latest version of the beta Emby app on the Shield doesn't downmix DD+ or DTS-HD to AC3 like it used to, now it downmixes to stereo. You've added a DTS-HD setting to playback buy it doesn't appear to do anything.

Could this be related to this issue? Kodi plays my files perfectly

Very interested if the latest app beta has any impact on this (good or bad)...

This beta has definitely fixed this audio downmix issue I posted about above, it's now downmixing to AC3.

It's definitely not fixed the stuttering issue though, it's still happening while direct playing the same files I was testing with before. I'll upload it somewhere for you to test later this evening

nyplayer

I am seeing this pausing too on both the FireTV and ShieldTV ... the only way I can watch without pausing is through KODI EMBYCON.

KaptainKrypton

Why did you hit the "Playback Correction"? Were the files not playing properly?

These files in particular have been massively stuttering since the Nvidia update. But when they're either transcoded or remuxed through exoplayer, then playback is smooth and stutter free.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I am seeing this pausing too on both the FireTV and ShieldTV ... the only way I can watch without pausing is through KODI EMBYCON.

This is likely a different problem that what is being discussed here if you are seeing it on the Fire.

These files in particular have been massively stuttering since the Nvidia update. But when they're either transcoded or remuxed through exoplayer, then playback is smooth and stutter free.

So, you are saying that they STILL stuttered with the new app beta when direct streamed?  That's what I'm trying to determine.  Thanks.

KaptainKrypton

So, you are saying that they STILL stuttered with the new app beta when direct streamed? That's what I'm trying to determine. Thanks.

Yes. They stutter with the stable and beta releases.

nyplayer

This is likely a different problem that what is being discussed here if you are seeing it on the Fire.

Well the only app that Stutters on my Shield is the AndroidTV app KODI EMBYCON work fine with the same files.

Well the only app that Stutters on my Shield is the AndroidTV app KODI EMBYCON work fine with the same files.

Kodi is not playing via http.  I think something was changed in the network stack in the Shield update that has made serving some files over http have this problem.

nyplayer

Kodi is not playing via http.  I think something was changed in the network stack in the Shield update that has made serving some files over http have this problem.

Thanks for the Info … now I get it.

nyplayer

I just got an update for AndroidTv 1.6.75g and no longer pausing on my ShieldTV. 

5c40d5fad5741_Annotation20190117112139.j

Edited by nyplayer

I just got an update for AndroidTv 1.6.75g and no longer pausing on my ShieldTV. [/size]

5c40d5fad5741_Annotation20190117112139.j

That's a transcode, most here including myself said we had no problems with transcodes, it's direct play we've issues with. Try direct play