Nvidia Shield TV- Playback will pause constantly

BeRealBud

pgalbavy

Something like what is described in this thread started for me last night. I rebooted by Shield TV just to be sure. What happened, watch different types of content (SD, HD, recorded and ripped) is that playback froze after 5-15 minutes. I have to stop and resume and play/pause did nothing. I actually dropped back to Plex to finish watching stuff. All content on local server.

Server: 4.1.0.8 Beta 

App: 1.6.88g

Logs for yesterday attached. Activity from 17:42 or so:

2019-02-21 17:42:46.430 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.234.16:8096/emby/system/info/public?format=json. UserAgent: Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 8.0.0; SHIELD Android TV Build/OPR6.170623.010)

embyserver-63686390400.zip

Edited by pgalbavy

KaptainKrypton
My most current update from NVIDIA tech support:

Hello Kasey,

Thanks for the information.

Both issues are under active engineering investigation. Thanks for your patience.

Best Regards,

Troy
NVIDIA Customer Care L2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NVIDIA Software Downloads - www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
NVIDIA Knowledge Base - nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php/track/AvOBzwqLDv8S~QJbGrIe~yJj_9UqyS75Mv8t~zj~PP~k
NVIDIA Hardware Support - http://www.nvidia.com/object/hardware_support.html

Customer By CSS Web (Kasey Olson) (02/23/2019 08:24 AM)
https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66681-nvidia-shield-tv-playback-will-pause-constantly/page-12

Up to the 12th page and it's been repeatedly confirmed that rolling Nvidia Shield system back to 7.1 fixes the issue. Any update on repairs that will allow stutter-free playback?

In addition, one of the things I noticed is that DTS-HD Master Audio tracks at or above 96kz that play in this instance will generally coincide with the playback stuttering. Something involved in the audio drivers, maybe?
Customer By CSS Email (Kasey Olson) (01/15/2019 04:44 PM)
Edited by KaptainKrypton
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
rickn345

The Plex forum is also lite up with the same problem (search Nvidia Shield Playback Issues). The conclusion is the same, Nvidia's update is the source of the problem.    

fizzyade

7.2.3 is out, I wonder if this contains a fix for it? (not updating until I hear that the bug is positively fixed)

Jdiesel

This could be it

• Streaming from high latency network services has lower bandwidth than expected.

Unfixed unfortunately... 

puithove

Yea, upgraded my Sheild to 7.2.3 today, still seeing these random freezes during playback.

Edited by puithove

Sammy

So is thiwhy some of my HEVC files will not play smoothly?

I thought it might be a bad encode or my 1080p Plasma but even a run through Handbrake didn't fix the one I tried correcting.

I ended up nuking and replacing the file with a Blu-ray 1080p since this TV isn't 4K HDR anyway so I cannot test it but other HEVC files work. Next time this happens I'll pay closer attention and post logs etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

nebster

@@ebr Do you have any idea why this only happens for direct play and not for transcoding? I've had emby transcode from 5.6Mbps (stopping every 5 secs) to roughly the same bitrate (no stops at all). It seems a bit weird that this is a network stack issue given that.

A workaround (not sure how easy this is but hopefully copy paste from the android mobile app) is to add syncing to android tv so that we can cache the whole file on the tv before watching.

When we transcode, we use a protocol specifically designed for streaming media.  When we direct-stream, we just send data over raw http.  So the method of delivery and how it would be handled by the network side is really very different.

jonboyuk

It's a shame really because the Android TV app is fantastic. I have to use the Samsung one on my TV instead. That actually works better in so many ways, with HDR working every time and it never pauses either.

Riggs

Hello.

I wrote this slowly and very carefully, I hope it is understood well.

Since I installed Emby in Fedora 29, the server's Web interface seems to be working fine as usual. However, any movie that I see on my Nvidia Shield, at the least expected moment stops. You try to play again (thinking that you mistakenly paused the movie by accident, but nothing happens). Then I must return to the main screen, and I choose to resume, and continue, but for a few minutes, until the same thing happens again.
 The day before yesterday, I discovered that the default paths for the cache on the server, if they are not defined, they fill the / root of .temp files and saturates the space in the / root. This topic of path and space I solved yesterday defining the paths and deleting all the temporary files within the / root. I thought that was the problem, but apparently even if it was a problem, it was not the cause of the reproduction interruption.

So, I turned off the server, and deleted all the temporary files in / root (which by the way were several gigs).

With all this corrected and revised, I started the server again. I checked that the paths were correct and working.
I thought that was the problem for which when playing a movie on my Nvidia Shield, it stopped as if by magic.

However, last night, the same thing happened. The film (whatever it is) stops after a while of watching it (more or less at 50min- 1 hour).

Today I checked the log on the server, which matches the time and I can see several errors there, however, I do not know what they refer to.
I do not know if it is a configuration problem of my Fedora installation or if it is a bug.
Honestly, and in appearance, everything is perfect in the functioning of the server, I do not find anything unusual. The problem is when it comes to playing from the Nvidia Shield. It seems that the socket closes or something like that.

I thank you in advance to review the log and help me with this.

Thank you

embyserver-6368809600.txt

Edited by HRSCR

Riggs

BTW. I check for updates all days for my system

This is the log today, a new ffmpeg was installed

Total                                           2.0 MB/s | 8.8 MB     00:04     
Delta RPMs reduced 9.0 MB of updates to 8.8 MB (2.1% saved)
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded.
Running transaction
  Preparing        :                                                        1/1
  Upgrading        : gstreamer1-plugins-good-1.14.4-2.fc29.x86_64          1/11
  Installing       : gstreamer1-plugins-good-qt-1.14.4-2.fc29.x86_64       2/11
  Upgrading        : gstreamer1-plugins-good-gtk-1.14.4-2.fc29.x86_64      3/11
  Upgrading        : ffmpeg-libs-4.0.3-4.fc29.x86_64                       4/11
  Upgrading        : zchunk-libs-1.0.4-1.fc29.x86_64                       5/11
  Upgrading        : gnome-characters-3.30.0-2.fc29.x86_64                 6/11
  Cleanup          : gstreamer1-plugins-good-gtk-1.14.4-1.fc29.x86_64      7/11
  Cleanup          : gstreamer1-plugins-good-1.14.4-1.fc29.x86_64          8/11
  Cleanup          : ffmpeg-libs-4.0.3-3.fc29.x86_64                       9/11
  Cleanup          : zchunk-libs-1.0.3-1.fc29.x86_64                      10/11
  Cleanup          : gnome-characters-3.30.0-1.fc29.x86_64                11/11
  Running scriptlet: gnome-characters-3.30.0-1.fc29.x86_64                11/11
  Verifying        : gstreamer1-plugins-good-qt-1.14.4-2.fc29.x86_64       1/11
  Verifying        : gnome-characters-3.30.0-2.fc29.x86_64                 2/11
  Verifying        : gnome-characters-3.30.0-1.fc29.x86_64                 3/11
  Verifying        : gstreamer1-plugins-good-1.14.4-2.fc29.x86_64          4/11
  Verifying        : gstreamer1-plugins-good-1.14.4-1.fc29.x86_64          5/11
  Verifying        : gstreamer1-plugins-good-gtk-1.14.4-2.fc29.x86_64      6/11
  Verifying        : gstreamer1-plugins-good-gtk-1.14.4-1.fc29.x86_64      7/11
  Verifying        : zchunk-libs-1.0.4-1.fc29.x86_64                       8/11
  Verifying        : zchunk-libs-1.0.3-1.fc29.x86_64                       9/11
  Verifying        : ffmpeg-libs-4.0.3-4.fc29.x86_64                      10/11
  Verifying        : ffmpeg-libs-4.0.3-3.fc29.x86_64                      11/11

Upgraded:
  gnome-characters-3.30.0-2.fc29.x86_64                                         
  gstreamer1-plugins-good-1.14.4-2.fc29.x86_64                                  
  gstreamer1-plugins-good-gtk-1.14.4-2.fc29.x86_64                              
  zchunk-libs-1.0.4-1.fc29.x86_64                                               
  ffmpeg-libs-4.0.3-4.fc29.x86_64                                               

Installed:
  gstreamer1-plugins-good-qt-1.14.4-2.fc29.x86_64

Complete!

Q-Droid

I have the same problem. It might not be your server or configuration. Do you have any other playback devices or do you have the same problem in a browser? The issue is random, sometimes it freezes multiple times and others not at all.

There are a some discussions around playback freezing on Nvidia Shield, one is below.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66681-nvidia-shield-tv-playback-will-pause-constantly/

Edited by Q-Droid
  • Like 1

Riggs

I have the same problem. It might not be your server or configuration. Do you have any other playback devices or do you have the same problem in a browser? The issue is random, sometimes it freezes multiple times and others not at all.

There are a some discussions around playback freezing on Nvidia Shield, one is below.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66681-nvidia-shield-tv-playback-will-pause-constantly/

Oh men, thank you very much!

I never watch movies in the browser, so i can't tell you. I just using the Nvidia Shield at this moment. Maybe in the weekend i can test my Roku Ultra.

The issue is that, in my case, it matches the date I put the server in Fedora and deleted the Windows server. That's why I opened this topic, thinking that it was the server. :)

Thanks again!

Q-Droid

I'm in the same boat. It could very well be something about the server or any part of the chain. In my case I had just completed a motherboard and CPU swap and kernel upgrade when I started to notice the issue.  The same OS before and after, CentOS. But there are enough people with the problem that I'm keeping my eyes on it to see if they identify something. On top of that I had completed the Emby upgrade to 4.0.2 like a week or two before then. Too much has changed for me and there's no going back now.

i send logs "HRS" since two days ago.

Hi.  Logs of what?

The issue this thread is about is a known problem in the recent Nvidia firmware.

And an ffmpeg log? Please also submit an in-app log from the Nvidia Shield app and @@ebr will review. Thanks.

• Like 1

Riggs

Hi.  Logs of what?

The issue this thread is about is a known problem in the recent Nvidia firmware.

@@ebr

Well, I'm sorry, I also have the latest firmware.

Let me tell you something, a few hours ago I ran the application on Nvidia Shield and the problem is still there. So, I do not intend to go back to Plex because this problem, then, I installed Kodi and Embycon and ... Guess what?

I did not experience any problems of cuts, or problems of any kind, we just saw three movies and none presented problems. Nothing.

In short, the Emby application is failing at some point (Houston, EmbyAPP have a problem), as simple as that.

About your appointment "Logs of what?"

Excuse me, with all respect.

These kind of meaningless questions that you usually ask me and I do not know how to interpret them.

Man, what records can I send to the developer from the Android TV application? Is there any other record that I can send?

I do not understand why you always ask me that kind of questions.

If you do not want the reports to be sent to you, simply remove the option from the APP and thus, no person will ever send you reports again.

Sometimes I wonder why beta versions exist, and why every time I report something, if I am not from the "personal forum partners" group, you simply ignore me or ask me a pointless question to evade response.

I've always thought that anything anyone posts here is to help each other, as a community. However lately, your personal treatment towards your consumers is not pleasant, or do you have something that you do not like about me or the people that you do not like? At least that's the impression I read in every forum I visit, many times I refrain from publishing something to prevent you or Luke from bullying me.

We are not all experts in your product, I am not, and I apologize for that.

Thank you.

Edited by HRSCR