Nvidia Shield TV- Playback will pause constantly

BeRealBud

CBers

Are there any samples available for others to test with ?

I have both the 2015 model (x2) and the 2017 model (x1) and have no issues with any of them.

mikeB2210

@@CBers

I don´t think that you can reproduce this mistake, because I can watch sometimes a file without freezing, next episode freezes 2 or 3 times. Also I have no problems to play the same file with Kodi.

I´thinking to make a hard reset of the Shield, maybe this solve the problem?

• Like 1

CBers

@@CBers

I don´t think that you can reproduce this mistake, because I can watch sometimes a file without freezing, next episode freezes 2 or 3 times. Also I have no problems to play the same file with Kodi.

I´thinking to make a hard reset of the Shield, maybe this solve the problem?

Sounds like a network-type issue, if sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I would suggest that the next time it happens, sent in-app logs and report here as before, so that @@ebr can tie the two up.

mikeB2210

@@CBers

It´s not a Network-type issue, I´m sure ;-)

Because before the update to 7.2 all is running smooth. Also I can resume the file where it freezes in the Emby App.

CBers

@@CBers

It´s not a Network-type issue, I´m sure ;-)

Because before the update to 7.2 all is running smooth. Also I can resume the file where it freezes in the Emby App.

I'm sure it's not, but that's what it sounds like.

At what bit-rate does playback freeze at?

I think I have a couple of 50Mbps+ movies, but I've never had a problem.

CBers

im having the same issue on my sony bravia running android tv, im also using bacon feet

If it's transcoding and you are FF/RW, then there will be a pause whilst the server's transcoding catches up.

Raise the issue first with Bacon Feet and ask them to follow this link: How to Report a Problem

I've noticed the latest version of the beta Emby app on the Shield doesn't downmix DD+ or DTS-HD to AC3 like it used to, now it downmixes to stereo. You've added a DTS-HD setting to playback buy it doesn't appear to do anything.

Could this be related to this issue? Kodi plays my files perfectly

Edited by colfin22

I've noticed the latest version of the beta Emby app on the Shield doesn't downmix DD+ or DTS-HD to AC3 like it used to, now it downmixes to stereo. You've added a DTS-HD setting to playback buy it doesn't appear to do anything.

Could this be related to this issue? Kodi plays my files perfectly

No, that would be completely unrelated.

I'm sure it's not, but that's what it sounds like.

At what bit-rate does playback freeze at?

I think I have a couple of 50Mbps+ movies, but I've never had a problem.

I don't think it's bitrate related. Here's an example of 2 files that were freezing, app and server logs sent and no issues seen, and they were both low bitrates.

The Deed
Video: HEVC 3.59Mbps
Audio: AAC 192kbps

Queen of the South
Video: H264 4.09mbps
Audio AAC 192kbps

I also don't think it's network related because this device causing issues has been run wired and on wifi and I've swapped locations with other ones in the house and it continues to freeze. I have 4 devices in total and only 1 causing issues and it's only in the emby app since the 7.2 update. All files play fine through kodi, plex or VLC. It also only happens when direct playing.

Interestingly, reading through this post on the 7.2.2 update on the nvidia site, there now seem to be a lot of plex users reporting playback issues when direct playing as well. They're getting an error saying "your connection to server is not fast enough to stream this video", and they're also saying when forcing a transcode it plays without issue.Only since the 7.2 update.

This issue is clearly nvidia related, it's just incredibly frustrating.

CBers

I don't think it's bitrate related. Here's an example of 2 files that were freezing, app and server logs sent and no issues seen, and they were both low bitrates.

The Deed
Video: HEVC 3.59Mbps
Audio: AAC 192kbps

Queen of the South
Video: H264 4.09mbps
Audio AAC 192kbps

I also don't think it's network related because this device causing issues has been run wired and on wifi and I've swapped locations with other ones in the house and it continues to freeze. I have 4 devices in total and only 1 causing issues and it's only in the emby app since the 7.2 update. All files play fine through kodi, plex or VLC. It also only happens when direct playing.

Interestingly, reading through this post on the 7.2.2 update on the nvidia site, there now seem to be a lot of plex users reporting playback issues when direct playing as well. They're getting an error saying "your connection to server is not fast enough to stream this video", and they're also saying when forcing a transcode it plays without issue.Only since the 7.2 update.

This issue is clearly nvidia related, it's just incredibly frustrating.

Any samples you can provide.

Jdiesel

Just to clarify since there are different people reporting issues which may or may not be related. Is this only happening when streaming from a remote server (Baconfeet or otherwise)?

• Like 1

edsanchez07

Just to clarify since there are different people reporting issues which may or may not be related. Is this only happening when streaming from a remote server (Baconfeet or otherwise)?

Hello I can confirm the same, I was having the issue with my Shield and Baconfeet, I changed to another provider (Emby Share) and I don't experience the issue, so it looks like is something related with the shield and baconfeet. 

I am not experiencing the issue with the new emby share provider. 

My Shield issues are with my own remote server on a Hetzner Dedi. I've no bandwidth issues, my Shield can direct play 30+Mbit media fine using Kodi and the Emby for Kodi add-on but sometimes stutters trying to play the same file (and even some 2-3Mbit files) using the Emby app. It's only happening since 7.2.1. I'll get logs up later this evening when I'm home

Jdiesel

Hello I can confirm the same, I was having the issue with my Shield and Baconfeet, I changed to another provider (Emby Share) and I don't experience the issue, so it looks like is something related with the shield and baconfeet. 

I am not experiencing the issue with the new emby share provider. 

I wasn't confirming this just posing a question.

This is good information though as it points at a provider issue rather than a Shield TV issue. I personally run my own remote server for myself and have not experience any stuttering on my Shield TV

• Like 1

My server is local. 

Any samples you can provide.

A sample as in a copy of the file? I'm positive it's not the file. I can direct play it on another shield device with no issues, through other apps on the problematic shield with no issues, and even replay the same file through Emby with different freeze points. It will also do this on roughly 75% of the files that direct play.

Ok, I rebooted the server at 4.30 then started some direct play of a 4.6mbit h264 mkv with AAC audio at 192kbit

Timeline:

4.30 rebooted server

4.31 played file on Shield Emby app

4.33 frozen completely, did not resume, required stopping and pressing play

4.39 as above

4.50 as above

4.53 as above but didn't bother resuming

4.55 played the same file on kodi

Log file attached

embyserver.txt

Some0guy0

I have been having this issue since upgrading as well. I am on a remote share that I have been on for a few years. It used to be Plex but switched to Emby a few months ago and haven't had any problems like this on either platform until recently. Now I can't watch anything without constant freezing unless I set my speed to around 1 - 2 mbps. Switching to wifi for some reason seems to have helped slightly, but not much. I did a trial of baconfeet over the weekend to see if it was better and had the same experience. Using my Roku TV (that my Shield is plugged into) gives me no playback issues on Emby with either share.

jrhessey
USE CAUTION, THIS CAN BRICK YOUR SHIELDTV

I followed most of this video I believe downgrading shieldtv.

USB A - A cable is required for connection to device in developer mode

Enable developer/debugging USB mode on shield

Settings > About > Build > click on build until you get to developer mode.  It should count down when you get close.
      Settings > Developer Options > Enable USB mode.  The usb cable HAS HAS HAS to be plugged in to the port shown on your screen when you enable it (far left).  

Follow the guide to install adbsetup, should take about 10 seconds...

Select the shield device type you have and click the image you want to download from https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-developer-os-images (requires registration at nvidia)
Extract the folder, remember this location. 

Power on Shield by plugging in power
Once controller rumbles push a and b until you get the fastboot menu. 
     ***Places online said to press the buttons before powering the device on and holding them until you saw the screen.  that never worked for me.  Waiting until the controller rumbled worked for me.  They say you can also use a keyboard if you don't have a controller.  I don't know, didn't try a keyboard since I have the controller.

Check device manager under ANDROID for something like FASTBOOT.  If that does not exist, look for a yellow triangle and install the whql drivers from nvidia. (Half-way down the page)

If you see a fastboot device under the device manager, fastboot commands should work

open the adb software you download above and enter the following to verify you are connected in fastboot mode

fastbook devices

should list something with a mac address and say authorized.  It will not work if nothing shows up or it does not say authorized.

FASTBOOT MENU NAVIGATION

Once in fastboot mode, navigate the menus using the controller.
- Use X/Y to navigate
- Use A to select

UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER

Your SHIELD may have shipped with a locked bootloader. To update the device,
you must unlock the bootloader using the following command on the host PC:

fastboot oem unlock

That command triggers a new page on the device headed '!!! READ THE FOLLOWING !!!'
- Read the warning on the screen
- To unlock the bootloader, select 'Confirm'

WARNING: Unlocking the bootloader securely formats the user data partition. This
process PERMANENTLY DELETES all data such as photos, music and downloads that
have previously been stored on the device.

Replace NVIDIA-image-path\ below with the location you extracted the files to above.

In the adb software enter the following commands one at a time

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash NVIDIA-image-path\staging blob
fastboot flash boot NVIDIA-image-path\boot.img
fastboot flash recovery NVIDIA-image-path\recovery.img
fastboot flash system NVIDIA-image-path\system.img
fastboot flash vendor NVIDIA-image-path\vendor.img
fastboot reboot

PLEASE, AGAIN, USE CAUTION.  I didn't write this down, so most is from memory, but if you google/youtube this stuff should line up with what others are saying, except maybe how to enter fastboot mode (waiting until the rumble to push the buttons vs pushing them before powering on). 

There are two issues here:

1) A specific provider is having trouble delivering static streams smoothly and

2) Some people are experiencing stuttering playback on the Shield after the 7.2 update.  At least one person has confirmed rolling back this update solves this issue.  We haven't identified what exact conditions cause this problem yet but it is not seen by all (my Shield is running 7.2.2 and does not exhibit this problem).

It is possible the two issues are actually the same and the provider in question just meets whatever the conditions are that cause the second issue.  Seems like it all started right around the Shield firmware update.

Handl3vogn

2 seems to sum up my issue. 

Running my own server on a wired LAN so no bandwidth issue. Server and Shield is on wired connections with 1gigabit links.

Almost sure this started on the 7.2 update.

Playback from Kodi on the shield works fine.

Its like the movie/tv show just stops sometimes for 1-5 secs and most times it resumes automatically. If I try to rewind to see if it happens again on the same spot it just plays trough like nothing is wrong.

So its hard to reproduce it when it seems to happen at random.

Edited by Handl3vogn

whosduhboss

Getting the same. I was originally using the shield as the server (no problem at all). 7.2 update hit not sure which variation of the updated it started. I thought it was me running the server on the shield as well as the client. Only thing changed was the shield experience as for my set up. Same qnap same everything else stutter city. So I built a dual Xeon unraid server. Plenty of horse power you'd think .Still stutter city .One thing I've noticed is that even if I set it to use an external player same issue cause it's using a emby url. If I play same file via smb share. Plays just fine. It's a little fustrating cause I've thrown money at it I didn't even needed to also can watch from said server on non shield TV set ups with no issues. 

KaptainKrypton

My support ticket with Nvidia is still ongoing.  I sent my Shield info directly to support via the Android app, and the Nvidia tech stated that my Denon AVR's EDID information showed that I only had two audio channels available for use (even though I run an 11.1 array) and I had to send him photos of my Denon's onscreen info to verify that something was wrong with the Shield and that my 11.1 setup works with EVERY other device except the Shield (Panasonic 4K player, HTPC etc.).  So there is issue there in addition to what's going on with Emby playback stability wetting the bed with certain files.  There's gotta be something going on because my Shield can play the same files off of Emby correctly when the AVR passes signal to my LG TV through HDMI output 2, but then as soon as my Epson 4010 picks up the signal on HDMI input 1, it's stutter city.  I even directed the tech to this thread so that he could verify that I'm not pulling his leg or that I'm insane. 

D34DC3N73R

FWIW, I've had issues with my shield after updating to 7.2. Seems something goes wrong when "updating/optimizing" apps after an upgrade. Uninstalling the app, doing a restart on the shield and reinstalling the app worked in my case.

• Like 1