Nvidia Shield TV- Playback will pause constantly

BeRealBud

BeRealBud

If you guys are running your Shields hardwired, you might try switching to wireless as well. Sounds crazy, I know, but you should try it...

Sorry I was at work all day. I tried switching it to wireless but the same issue continued. I also uninstalled and reinstalled it but it didn't help. I have my bit rate set to max, and if I have my audio set to Downmix to Stereo my Play Method is Direct but then the play back pauses soon after it starts. If I set my audio to Auto my Play method is Remux with my transcode reason being Unsupported audio, but the video plays straight through without pausing. I've also sent you a log at 9:30 est. I was watching Venom. I ended the log with me using the Remux play method for a couple minutes and before that I was running it as Direct. Hopefully nyou can see what's causing the issue between the two. I hope!

Sorry I was at work all day. I tried switching it to wireless but the same issue continued. I also uninstalled and reinstalled it but it didn't help. I have my bit rate set to max, and if I have my audio set to Downmix to Stereo my Play Method is Direct but then the play back pauses soon after it starts. If I set my audio to Auto my Play method is Remux with my transcode reason being Unsupported audio, but the video plays straight through without pausing. I've also sent you a log at 9:30 est. I was watching Venom. I ended the log with me using the Remux play method for a couple minutes and before that I was running it as Direct. Hopefully nyou can see what's causing the issue between the two. I hope!

I don't see anything wrong in this log.

Try turning off the auto refresh rate switching.

BeRealBud

I don't see anything wrong in this log.

Try turning off the auto refresh rate switching.

It was never enabled. I just enabled it to see if it would change something but it didn't.

Well I'm lost lol. I guess I can't Downmix to stereo anymore If I want to be able to watch videos still.

Can you enable Downmix to stereo von your shield and see if you get the same results?

BeRealBud

Did you change the quality setting in the app?

I have my bit rate set to max. My internet speed is 1GBs. I honestly think that something in the latest experience update is causing this. Everything was fine until the update. My mi box 3 isn't having any issues.

EricGRIT09

I have my bit rate set to max. My internet speed is 1GBs. I honestly think that something in the latest experience update is causing this. Everything was fine until the update. My mi box 3 isn't having any issues.

Not to say something didn't change in Experience update to make it worse but I've had direct play issues on high bitrate content since before the update.  

BeRealBud

Not to say something didn't change in Experience update to make it worse but I've had direct play issues on high bitrate content since before the update.

My issues are with direct play though, doesn't matter if the videos bitrate is 3mbs or 60mbs..

EricGRIT09

My issues are with direct play though, doesn't matter if the videos bitrate is 3mbs or 60mbs..

Interesting - well to give my data here I upgraded to 7.2 and have no issues with direct play on most things I've tried since the update.  Seems to only affect 20+mbps stuff if I had to wager a guess.

BeRealBud

Well I've given up .. the 7.2.1 update is out and I still can't finish any videos in Emby... I've now resorted to using my PS4s browser to view anything of the Emby server ...

jrhessey

It's the 7.2 update. I had the same issue, rolled back to 7.1 and I'm back to normal. I would recommend doing that if you're experiencing this issue.

• Like 1

I've been experiencing the same issue, but only on 1 of my shield's. I've got 3 in the house, all updated to 7.2, and 2 of the 3 play with no issues. The one in the living room, which we use the most, will randomly freeze for anywhere's from 1-10s and then resume playing on it's own. I noticed this started from the first file played after the 7.2 experience upgrade and it does it on roughly 50% of the files I play. 

I've been experiencing the same issue, but only on 1 of my shield's. I've got 3 in the house, all updated to 7.2, and 2 of the 3 play with no issues. The one in the living room, which we use the most, will randomly freeze for anywhere's from 1-10s and then resume playing on it's own. I noticed this started from the first file played after the 7.2 experience upgrade and it does it on roughly 50% of the files I play. 

@@MRobi, can we look at an example? thanks !

@@MRobi, can we look at an example? thanks !

Just finished watching The Deed S02 E06 and experienced the freeze 3x during playback. The last time was just after the 32 minute mark. The file was direct playing.

Log sent through the app at 8:58pm EST. User logged in was Mike,

Server log is attached as well.

EDIT: Server log won't attach as it's 220+ Mb. I'll try to find a spot to host it.

Edited by MRobi

TheDetective

It may have something to do with the 7.2 update. A lot of people on the Plex forums have started complaining about playback issues since the 7.2 update. In my case, Emby is wokirng with almost no issues on my Shield, but I'm definitively having some playback issues with Plex.

Another log just sent through the app. This time watching Queen of the South S3 E07. At exactly the 27 minute mark experienced a 10s freeze. 

One thing I've noticed tonight, when the freeze happens, the digital audio light on my home theater receiver turns off. It comes back on when playback restarts.

I have to agree with @@TheDetective and my assumption is that it is something to do with the 7.2 update. 7.2.1 did not resolve it. It's just odd that it's only doing it on 1 of my devices.

Any recommendations on where to upload larger server logs?

Are the connections different between the Shields that do have the problem vs. ones that don't?  (wireless vs wired)

BeRealBud

There is something going on here that the logs aren't showing. I have to either select playback correction or lower the bit rate. Playback correction works just as well though. And the issue has nothing to do with the MBs. There is a direct play issue. Seems like when direct play is happening, the media isn't being allowed to buffer/cache continually during playback causing the playback to pause once it reaches the end of what's cached.