meatrack

I got a FireTV stick the other day by accident and realized that emby can be used there as well. I have the server set up on my windows PC (although with server wmc if that makes a difference). I have been using emby with live tv fine on android and web browsers for a while now, but when I try to watch live tv on the amazon stick, I get an error message "video format cannot be played".  I tried messing with the settings (reducing bit rate, activating VLC, deactivating...) but I always get the same error message. If I plug in a chromecast in the same TV, then emby just works fine. What am I missing here? Else the app looks great and my videos play fine.  Thank you!

Can you please confirm the version of the app?  It is on the settings page.

Nebular Nerd

I got a FireTV stick the other day by accident and realized that emby can be used there as well. I have the server set up on my windows PC (although with server wmc if that makes a difference). I have been using emby with live tv fine on android and web browsers for a while now, but when I try to watch live tv on the amazon stick, I get an error message "video format cannot be played".  I tried messing with the settings (reducing bit rate, activating VLC, deactivating...) but I always get the same error message. If I plug in a chromecast in the same TV, then emby just works fine. What am I missing here? Else the app looks great and my videos play fine.  Thank you!

I was just about to post this in the thread I started, 1.0.80a plays most of my files but stutters badly. 1.1.00beta just flatly refused to play any file.

seekingsun

Can you please confirm the version of the app?  It is on the settings page.

Version 1.0.80a downloaded yesterday from Amazon app store.

Hm, very confusing. Now I'm back home, having the app open for the second time and the menu option of live tv on the left navigation pane is gone. The "on now" link showed up for a second then disappeared. I have to go through my library, then live tv and then i get this ugly channel overview where I see them all lined up next to each other. SD channels seem to work now though, HD channels make the app force close. And the folder "my recordings" shows up for a second as well, then disappears.

and one more last thing, seems like channels on the HDHomerun are not being released when exiting watching live tv.

Edited by seekingsun

There will be a new version shortly that may help but I'm not positive it will considering it is Live TV you are having trouble with.

What is the setup for your Live TV in emby? (what service or is it the internal Emby TV, what tuners etc.)

Nebular Nerd

What, exactly, happened?

In order to avoid hijacking this thread I'll not post in here as my thread about the playback is already a few posts longs from our discussion, did not want to not answer you though :)

• Like 1

seekingsun

Seems my issues are gone. Playback of local files via streaming seems to work pretty well. Live TV plays but has some streaming issues. SD channels work okish, HD buffers for quite a while and then freezes a lot once it plays. I guess I can live with that.  Thank you!

Guest tbear2001

Quick question... is 'Delete' an option for media via the Fire TV app?  I'm moving from Plex and am loving it so far, but the one thing I miss is being able to delete a show episode after I've finished watching it.  I've set the option for the user on the server and am able to delete if I use the web interface, but would be very nice to be able to do it directly from the Fire TV.

Thanks again for an amazing product... I already signed up as a lifetime user.  I really appreciate the speed that you guys are pushing out updates... compared to Plex it is like night and day.

Quick question... is 'Delete' an option for media via the Fire TV app?  I'm moving from Plex and am loving it so far, but the one thing I miss is being able to delete a show episode after I've finished watching it.  I've set the option for the user on the server and am able to delete if I use the web interface, but would be very nice to be able to do it directly from the Fire TV.

Thanks again for an amazing product... I already signed up as a lifetime user.  I really appreciate the speed that you guys are pushing out updates... compared to Plex it is like night and day.

Thank you for the support. The in-app delete function is on our roadmap,  just not implemented yet in the TV app. In the meantime, the web client runs great on a smart phone so you can still perform the delete from the comfort of your soft. The mobile android app also supports it too. I realize that's not your eventual destination, just some options to consider in the meantime.

• Like 1

PhilWhite

Thank you for the support. The in-app delete function is on our roadmap,  just not implemented yet in the TV app. In the meantime, the web client runs great on a smart phone so you can still perform the delete from the comfort of your soft. The mobile android app also supports it too. I realize that's not your eventual destination, just some options to consider in the meantime.

Outstanding.  In-app delete and music support are two of the features I would most like to see.  The improvements just keep coming...........

Guest tbear2001

Thanks for the amazingly quick response.  I look forward to future updates and continue to be impressed.

Delete has been implemented for recorded TV in the current version of the Fire TV app but not media that is a part of your regular library.

Guest tbear2001

Delete has been implemented for recorded TV in the current version of the Fire TV app but not media that is a part of your regular library.

Thanks for the info, but I'm really looking forward to delete for media.  I watch most of my shows after processing them from my DVR and typically will delete an episode right after watching it.

Any chance to get a folder view for my libraries in the FireTV app?  

I open up my movie library and there's no way for me to see the folders I use to organize them.  Just a mess of "latest" and "alphabetical". 

Nevermind this.  For some reason my Emby App never auto-updated.

Edited by JeremyG

crystalgipsy

Any chance of getting DTS and DD passthrough on a future FireTv version as its on the standard Android version? Its the main thing holding me back from using the app now its direct playing most video content.

Any chance of getting DTS and DD passthrough on a future FireTv version as its on the standard Android version? Its the main thing holding me back from using the app now its direct playing most video content.

At this point, that is a limitation of the Fire TV.

crystalgipsy, on 26 Sept 2015 - 2:34 PM, said:

What exactly does this mean?     Does this mean it cannot play full 5.1 audio outputted through HDMI?

I pre ordered a new FireTV expecting that I would be able to do high quality audio via DirectAcess to files.  Want to know if this isn't going to fulfill my expectations.

What exactly does this mean?     Does this mean it cannot play full 5.1 audio outputted through HDMI?

I pre ordered a new FireTV expecting that I would be able to do high quality audio via DirectAcess to files.  Want to know if this isn't going to fulfill my expectations.

The new ones are new hardware so, hopefully, they will work the same way the NP does and allow us to pass DD and 5.1 PCM.  But, no one has one of these yet so I don't know.

Since Kodi is operating at a lower level, I do believe it can pass thru the normal audio codecs (not the HD audio ones) even on the old Fire TV.

ebr, on 26 Sept 2015 - 4:35 PM, said:

The new ones are new hardware so, hopefully, they will work the same way the NP does and allow us to pass DD and 5.1 PCM.  But, no one has one of these yet so I don't know.

Since Kodi is operating at a lower level, I do believe it can pass thru the normal audio codecs (not the HD audio ones) even on the old Fire TV.

Pardon my ignorance.  What is "NP"?

I have a Fire TV box that is not the newer 4k model.  When using Kodi to direct play mkv files, my audio system indicates that 5.1 AC3 DD and 5.1 DTS is passed thru.  I hope a future version of the Emby app can do the same. 

I currently have version 1.0.80a.  What the latest version and is the version history posted on the Emby website?

I updated to the latest version 1.1.04a of the Emby app. Playback went from transcode to direct streaming, but without 5.1 AC3 pass thru.  I assume the hardware (Fire TV box) is capable of passing thru 5.1 AC3 and 5.1 DTS streams since Kodi can do it.

I don't really care if it passes through or decodes itself, I just want to know that I can get 5.1 sound through a FireTV.    Are you getting 5.1?