Public and private playlists

harrv

BillybobBilly
On 6/4/2022 at 1:16 PM, gihayes said:

I agree with the issue of moving files causes issues. My storage is almost maxed out and is spread across 6 drives. I am planning on upgrading soon but am shuffling stuff around until I can (hopefully within the next month or so). When I do, it breaks my playlists. I currently privatize Playlists using Tags and Parental Control which works pretty well but a built in working practical Playlist system would definitely be welcome.

100% agree. Judging from this thread there are many people who wish playlists worked a bit better for allowing users to manage their own playlists without worry that another user may add/remove or modify someone else's playlist. 

Quite frankly, playlists in their current state are more problematic on my server than beneficial. Locking playlists with parental controls is about the best option we have available.

A toggle for user-specific playlist privacy would be a big step in the right direction on this. Ideally individual restrictions on playlists would be possible but reading through this thread it looks like it might not be a reasonable request.

Edited by BillybobBilly

I'm sure we'll get most of these features to make public/private playlists easier to work with and manage. I can't say when, but I'd imagine a lot of playlist feature requests will all fall into an upcoming revamp of the playlist functionality.

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Mendocinotim

I have given admin full access to one other person. All others are normal users with all the basic privileges.

She, the other admin, has promised not to delete any content other than within her own self-created/self-moderated collections and playlists.
She and I will appreciate, as will my other users, better attention to both private playlists and in sharing personally curated collections.

THANKS

Armageus
On 07/08/2022 at 22:23, Mendocinotim said:

I have given admin full access to one other person. All others are normal users with all the basic privileges.

She, the other admin, has promised not to delete any content other than within her own self-created/self-moderated collections and playlists.
She and I will appreciate, as will my other users, better attention to both private playlists and in sharing personally curated collections.

THANKS

Promising to not delete anything isn't really a solution though.

• Haha 1

Ronstang
On 8/9/2022 at 1:32 AM, Armageus said:

Promising to not delete anything isn't really a solution though.

No it isn't.  For while movies kept disappearing off my server.....I mean the files were just gone.  I was watching them the day before then they weren't there.  I finally started actually looking at the recycle bin before flushing it and to my surprise every day there were movies in there that shouldn't have been.  Most were ones that my girlfriend had watched or at least skimmed.  She said she didn't delete them.  And I didn't delete the ones I had watched....but they were gone too.  Funny thing the ones she watched kept showing up every day in the recycle bin....the same movies, over and over, for days and I know she hadn't watched them again.  I had no idea what was going on so I removed the ability to delete files from within emby for EVERYONE and voila no more deleted files.  I still don't know what happened but I think deleting files should remain at the OS level for the server admin only.....so that is how I have it set now.  Haven't lost a movies since.

• Like 1

Hi, you can fully control what user can delete files and which users can't by  adjusting their account.

image.png

You could for example give a person delete rights to the recording/DVR section but nothing else. These settings are on the first tab of user setup called Profile.

FrostByte
On 8/10/2022 at 6:11 PM, cayars said:

Hi, you can fully control what user can delete files and which users can't by  adjusting their account.

image.png

You could for example give a person delete rights to the recording/DVR section but nothing else. These settings are on the first tab of user setup called Profile.

This does not work for Playlists though which is what this topic is about.  Even non-Admins have the option to delete playlists without that box checked.

ertagon2
On 8/17/2022 at 4:43 AM, FrostByte said:

This does not work for Playlists though which is what this topic is about.  Even non-Admins have the option to delete playlists without that box checked.

Well... I'd argue that the topic is not as much about "deleting" media from playlists but more about "playlist separation for users" and all it entails.
I would consider the following features to be required for proper implementation of "private playlists":

• Option to create public/private playlists
  • Private playlists - hidden visibility
  • Private playlists - public read only, with full permissions for the owner (optional)
  • Public playlists - full visibility
  • Public playlists - ability to hide all public playlists in the UI

I might be missing something, but I'd say these are the most important features for "Public and Private playlists".

Edited by ertagon2
Clarification
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

gleeballs

still cannot believe that this whole playlist thing is 4 years in the making. 

It's not just about being able to delete media, it's that fact that each user cannot have their own playlists that only they can control. I can add a playlist and stop users from deleting data, but they can still re-arrange the playlist.

Dev team - 4 years, come on sort it out. you have per user access controls built in for libraries, this surely cannot be too much of a hard task to implement

• Agree 2

ertagon2
On 8/17/2022 at 11:09 PM, gleeballs said:

still cannot believe that this whole playlist thing is 4 years in the making. 

It's not just about being able to delete media, it's that fact that each user cannot have their own playlists that only they can control. I can add a playlist and stop users from deleting data, but they can still re-arrange the playlist.

Dev team - 4 years, come on sort it out. you have per user access controls built in for libraries, this surely cannot be too much of a hard task to implement

Well this is only a guess based on my experience with programming but they would probably  need to upgrade several internal system.

• User permissions
  • UI components
  • Backend functionality
  • External API ?

The problem is... because there is no metric for how important features are to users, this was put on the low burner.
I think this would be welcomed by the community, so hopefully if we keep talking about it and makes some noise here, our "rating" will go up.

Because god forbid we have a system... https://features.jellyfin.org/

Edited by ertagon2
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Even in combination with Android Auto , navigation to select tracks is a nightmare due to driver protection (even when its the "copilot" selecting, we mostly end up going through the android app even though android auto is a thing), being able to create private play lists would be a huge help navigating only the playlists created by yourself.

Armageus
On 19/08/2022 at 02:14, ertagon2 said:

Well this is only a guess based on my experience with programming but they would probably upgrade several internal system.

• User permissions
  • UI components
  • Backend functionality
  • External API ?

I think you overestimate how much work some of these features should take.

I mentioned it in earlier in this thread, but for any kind of "sane" software design it should just be a case of adding an "owner" field to the "playlists" table, updating a couple of select sql queries to retrieve only things from the correct owner (or any owner), and exposing it in a couple of places in the UI...

It's a couple of hours work at most

(However apparently playlists are stored as XML files on disk, and it's apparently too hard to have a database table to keep track of them 🤣)

Edited by Armageus
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

ertagon2
9 minutes ago, Armageus said:

[...]

(However apparently playlists are stored as XML files on disk, and it's apparently too hard to have a database table to keep track of them 🤣)

Dear Lord.

Collections used to be saved as XML files as well up until a few versions ago. These were migrated to the database as part of the change as well as new features added.

I see Playlists being done the same way. Part of this revision will require migrating the XML files to database. New code will then be needed since you're pulling info from a database vs the file system. Like collections this is doable but not a simple task or just some SQL changed. :)

The conversion from XML to database is a mini-project in itself that needs thorough testing.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Armageus said:

I have for over a year, some people have for 4 years or more...

He might be talking about the latest changes to the playlists on the beta, now are m3u based instead of xml based. So i think that big changes are coming.

• Agree 2

horstepipe
2 hours ago, Mibok said:

He might be talking about the latest changes to the playlists on the beta, now are m3u based instead of xml based. So i think that big changes are coming.

I hope that too, but could somebody explain the advantages of m3u in this context? I’d had expected that this would move to the database…?

m3u files are more or less the industry standard for playlists, so it's good we change the internals for that reason alone.

We use m3u files for Live TV as well and they get imported into the database of course.  Having these in M3U even if in the database is probably important as a means to reload these in the event of a re-load and for backup purposes!

It doesn't give you any other glimpse of feature set other than knowing Luke's been working in the playlist section of code. :)

Carlo

• Thanks 1

This will be in Emby Server 4.8. New playlists going forward will be private to the user who created it, and there will be a new context menu option to share the playlist with other users.

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Luke said:

This will be in Emby Server 4.8. New playlists going forward will be private to the user who created it, and there will be a new context menu option to share the playlist with other users.

Very good news, thank you!