Public and private playlists

harrv

MBSki
On 9/3/2023 at 11:42 AM, Luke said:

Not really because you have to know who created the playlist in order to convert it to the new way. The 4.7 server isn't keeping track of that.

Well that's disappointing, but I understand. Can you provide status for adding the ability to edit read/write permissions to the new playlists?

MBSki

@Luke Can you provide status for adding the ability to edit read/write permissions on the new playlists? I didn't see anything about that function in the latest release notes.

1 minute ago, MBSki said:

@Luke Can you provide status for adding the ability to edit read/write permissions on the new playlists? I didn't see anything about that function in the latest release notes.

I would say stay tuned, hopefully soon. Keep an eye on the testing area in the community.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MDMEDIA said:

It's now 2023 and still not here. 

Hi, stay tuned for the upcoming 4.8 server release. Thanks.

• Thanks 2

Anielarias
13 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, stay tuned for the upcoming 4.8 server release. Thanks.

am using the latest beta but i don’t think is there. when should we expect this?

1 minute ago, Anielarias said:

am using the latest beta but i don’t think is there. when should we expect this?

Have you been following the testing area? 

Anielarias
33 minutes ago, Luke said:

Have you been following the testing area? 

no, only run the betas every time there is an update. care to share the testing are link?

MBSki

@LukeHave you added the ability to change read/write permissions on the new playlists? I haven't seen that in beta yet. 

MBSki
On 10/7/2023 at 5:58 PM, MBSki said:

@LukeHave you added the ability to change read/write permissions on the new playlists? I haven't seen that in beta yet. 

@LukeCan you answer this question?

• Haha 1

MBSki
On 10/7/2023 at 5:58 PM, MBSki said:

@Luke Can you please respond? I don't see the ability to change read/write permissions on the new playlists.

MBSki

@Luke @ebr Can you PLEASE respond? I seems you're too busy adding your own personal features and design changes rather than working on this necessary item. Can you please add the ability to edit read/write permissions on public playlists? 

• Sad 1

Armageus
2 hours ago, MBSki said:

@Luke @ebr Can you PLEASE respond? I seems you're too busy adding your own personal features and design changes rather than working on this necessary item. Can you please add the ability to edit read/write permissions on public playlists? 

Fighting a losing battle, they've proven time and again that they don't care about features that normal users want. The only features that seem to get any traction are ones relating to pirated content and IPTV streaming, as ultimately it's pirate server operators paying the bills, regardless of their public stance on this.

Edited by Armageus

sydlexius
4 hours ago, MBSki said:

@MBSkiYou've probably already taken a peek, but here's what I see when I toggle a playlist to public, then back to private:

image.thumb.png.5cd5901362e758e2a8c6c334a4715155.png

image.thumb.png.6611be2b4783cc9553edc531542a385c.png

Sorry if this is something you were already aware of.

MBSki
13 minutes ago, Bagul said:

I think he's talking about the "manage access" part.

Yes, exactly. It's kind of pointless to make a list public if you can't adjust who has the rights to edit the playlist.

• Like 1

sydlexius
3 minutes ago, MBSki said:

Yes, exactly. It's kind of pointless to make a list public if you can't adjust who has the rights to edit the playlist.

Based the prompts for this screen, as it's tied into the "Manage Access" role/right, it's a bit of an all or nothing thing...Given the lack of granularity, I'm not sure that it makes sense to specifically tie it to that, as it governs which users can access which libraries (as well as the finer-grained access within those libraries).  Perhaps one day if the devs should decide to implement proper groups and RBAC, then it might make sense to include a "manage playlist permissions" within the larger manage access role.

• Agree 1

MBSki
22 minutes ago, sydlexius said:

Based the prompts for this screen, as it's tied into the "Manage Access" role/right, it's a bit of an all or nothing thing...Given the lack of granularity, I'm not sure that it makes sense to specifically tie it to that, as it governs which users can access which libraries (as well as the finer-grained access within those libraries).  Perhaps one day if the devs should decide to implement proper groups and RBAC, then it might make sense to include a "manage playlist permissions" within the larger manage access role.

So this was my question to Luke in June and his response at the bottom which says that they are adding the ability to edit permissions to the playlists. My question is when are we going to see it since it's been 4 months and it still isn't available in beta. 

On 6/19/2023 at 9:01 AM, MBSki said:

I'm guessing the beta is getting closer to release, but I haven't seen any new functionality added for public/private playlists.

@Luke @ebrCan you please at least add the functionality for existing playlists and add edit permissions?

On 6/20/2023 at 1:29 PM, Luke said:

Yes, stay tuned.

I was an advocate of using groups for this and a couple of other things from the beginning since it allows you to easily control who has access via the group membership which to me is a far easier way to manage things of this nature.

Luke, has said to stay tuned as he probably has another way to handle this in mind.

Carlo

sydlexius
31 minutes ago, Carlo said:

I was an advocate of using groups for this and a couple of other things from the beginning since it allows you to easily control who has access via the group membership which to me is a far easier way to manage things of this nature.

Luke, has said to stay tuned as he probably has another way to handle this in mind.

Carlo

As much as I'd want such features, I definitely hope it is not a 4.8 feature 😀

MBSki

It really doesn't matter to me how edit permissions for playlists are implemented as long as they are implemented before the current beta moves to stable. Groups may be better, but I'm ok if that gets added later. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 1:03 PM, Armageus said:

as ultimately it's pirate server operators paying the bills,

I can tell you for sure this is not the case.  We do everything we can to prevent these guys from using us.  That is really why we have the device limits.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

MBSki
24 minutes ago, ebr said:

I can tell you for sure this is not the case.  We do everything we can to prevent these guys from using us.  That is really why we have the device limits.

Glad to see you join the conversation. Can you answer the question about when editing read/write permissions will be added to the new playlists? What's the status?