Jump to content

Public and private playlists


harrv

Recommended Posts

Any reason why it can't be public even if it's for a specific person?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GrumpyTrucker
17 minutes ago, cayars said:

Any reason why it can't be public even if it's for a specific person?

I don't know about others' use cases, but in my case having the playlists visible across all users would just make the playlist "screen" bogged down and crammed with too many playlists. Especially as, in my mum's case, she won't want to be wading through all mine and the wife's playlists to find hers. There's a certain level of hassle that she'll just say "forget it" with. Even just a dozen playlists per user, with 3 users, that's 36 playlists to scroll through to find the one you're looking for. Not to bad on a TV or computer but a pain on a phone.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What you could do/try is start the playlist out with the user's name which may make it a bit easier to find.  Probably the best way for now.

Carlo-Rock Playlist
Carlo-Country Playlist
ED-Elevator Playlist
Ed-Jazz Playlist
Hannah-New Wave Crappy Playlist
Hannah-Fusion Playlist
 

I have not tried this but since you can put a playlist in with the music and since you can use Folder Based Access Control you could try putting that person's music and/or playlists in folders only granted to that user.  Again I haven't tried this so I do not know how Emby will treat this but might be worth a small test.
https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001160108

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm in a situation where privacy is a concern. Private issues, but there are no playlists allowed at all due to this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GrumpyTrucker

Hmmmm. This is VERY strange. Earlier today - when I posted - I was having the issue I described. Any playlist I created COULD be visible to all users. Not necessarily when they selected "Playlists" but definitely when they selected Add to Playlist. In that scenario all playlists would show up. I have spent the best part of 4 hours trying to get scripts to run automatically when a new playlist is added and append tags with the username to the playlist. Now, I've just come back to it and for some reason no playlists are visible to other users, even though no tags are currently in use. I have no idea what's changed, or what I did. Right now though, it seems to be working as I want it to 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

GrumpyTrucker

Huh. Well. Now I'm back to square one. Or minus one actually since now it's making no sense at all. I now have a situation where User 1 & 3 see only their playlists, but User 2 sees the playlists of User 1 and User 2. And I have no idea how that's happening. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What app are you using to view this with?
I would try a different browser or a different app.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GrumpyTrucker
On 5/6/2021 at 12:39 PM, cayars said:

What app are you using to view this with?
I would try a different browser or a different app.

I'm seeing this behaviour in Chrome, Safari, the Emby app on my phone, and the Emby app on the Fire TV. Not much else I can try 🤷‍♂️🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That really doesn't make any sense.  If you create a playlist it should be visible by all users unless you've used tags to hide it from certain users.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GrumpyTrucker
6 hours ago, cayars said:

That really doesn't make any sense.  If you create a playlist it should be visible by all users unless you've used tags to hide it from certain users.

Well, that's not what I'm seeing. And I'm mostly glad about that. Like many people, I don't want my playlists visible across all users. Can I ask a question? If user specific playlists aren't supposed to be a thing, what is the UserId XML node in the Playlist file there for? I was just assuming that the Playlists feature was filtering based on that to be honest. Since adding tags is a bit convoluted, especially if using the SmartPlaylists plugin that refreshes / rewrites the playlist on a schedule, and if the UserId node isn't actually used for anything, would it be feasible in an update to rewrite the Playlist XML constructor part of the base code to write the UserId number as a tag as well? Then Parental Controls could just be used to filter out that tag that's already there, rather than having to add one manually. That should just be a matter of adding

<Tags><tag>(UserId Number)</tag></Tags>

into whatever part of the base echoes out the XML to file? If people don't want to use it, it doesn't hurt anything, but for those who want separate playlists per user it would be a big gain.

The bit that's really confusing me is that it will work 100% as I want it to for a while and then for no reason that I can see only 1 user starts to see all playlists. And always the same user. Very strange.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised to see playlists reworked in near future to get rid of the XML file and problems associated with it like Collections had.  Collections were reworked in the current Beta to rid of the system of these issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, cayars said:

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised to see playlists reworked in near future to get rid of the XML file and problems associated with it like Collections had.  Collections were reworked in the current Beta to rid of the system of these issues.

Lets hope so - the privacy aspect of this feature needs immediate attention imho, as it's not obvious these are globally shared.  Laws such as GDPR (CCPA in the US?) may be being challenged here.

As a first step until they have suitable permissions, I think the term 'Global or Shared Playlist' needs to be used instead of just 'Playlist' to correctly inform the user of it's global coverage.  

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Laws such as GDPR (CCPA in the US?) may be being challenged here.

That would have no impact here.  We're only talking about on your own server - not across anyone else's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone using your server (including your own family) have rights to privacy as well !

I'm no lawyer - but it would be nice if either a brief warning or by simply naming the Playlist as 'shared' - you inform the client that it is not private.

Edited by rbjtech
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

 

I'm no lawyer

That much is clear. Perhaps you should inform yourself on what is covered by GDPR before making such statements. It has zero relevance here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/05/2021 at 21:12, cayars said:

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised to see playlists reworked in near future to get rid of the XML file and problems associated with it like Collections had.  Collections were reworked in the current Beta to rid of the system of these issues.

This sounds good to me. It would definitely be nice to see playlists get some love and if some kind of access permissions can be bundled in then great 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Via TAGS and parental permissions I can hide different playlists from people.
Depending on the amount of playlists and users you may be able to manage them this way for now to hide them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

That much is clear. Perhaps you should inform yourself on what is covered by GDPR before making such statements. It has zero relevance here

Perhaps you need to learn what GDPR covers yourself before making such sweeping statements.

If a personal playlist is open for all to see - then it's not confidential is it ...

6. Integrity and Confidentiality

This principle deals exclusively with security. Your organisation must ensure that all the appropriate measures are in place to secure the personal data you hold. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You need to take a look at the regulation as it doesn't apply here.

Emby does not store any personal identifiable information.  The closest to this would be a username which could be set by the admin to anything at all.
Emby does not store ANY information that could be used to trace back to a user short of an email address which doesn't apply here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

If a personal playlist is open for all to see - then it's not confidential is it ...

It is not open for all to see.  This is your own private server on  your own home network.  If you are exposing that to the outside, then the onus is on you to protect whatever needs to be protected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hypothetically, even if it was public (which it isn't) does a playlist contain personal identifying information? No

"Personal data is information that relates to an identified or identifiable individual. If you cannot directly identify an individual from that information, then you need to consider whether the individual is still identifiable."

A login of JohnDoe123 with a playlist of TopGun, Days of Thunder, Californication is hardly identifiable information.

Having first & last names, SSN or tax id, address, phone numbers, etc are personal identifiable information which is not part of any Emby system, nor has it ever been required. Usernames can be anything the admin wants to use that can have absolutely no relationship to any person. (user1, user2, station4, friend5, etc).

But again this isn't a public system, but a private system that is administered and controlled by an individual for their family and personal friends use which does not require any personally identifiable info to use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/05/2021 at 22:16, cayars said:

What you could do/try is start the playlist out with the user's name which may make it a bit easier to find.  Probably the best way for now.

Carlo-Rock Playlist
Carlo-Country Playlist
ED-Elevator Playlist
Ed-Jazz Playlist
Hannah-New Wave Crappy Playlist
Hannah-Fusion Playlist
 

I have not tried this but since you can put a playlist in with the music and since you can use Folder Based Access Control you could try putting that person's music and/or playlists in folders only granted to that user.  Again I haven't tried this so I do not know how Emby will treat this but might be worth a small test.
https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001160108

 

 

22 minutes ago, cayars said:

You need to take a look at the regulation as it doesn't apply here.

Emby does not store any personal identifiable information.  The closest to this would be a username which could be set by the admin to anything at all.
Emby does not store ANY information that could be used to trace back to a user short of an email address which doesn't apply here.

So you probably want to take back your suggestions to name the playlist with your name then .. ;)

All I am suggesting is information on your watching habits (PI Data, ie personal to you and only you) - be it within emby, netflix, pl*x - or any other 'software' needs to be secured.  It doesn't matter if your system has 5 users or 5 million - the concept is the same.

Emby's playlist feature is not secure and therefore a users privacy may be compromised  - so it needs to get fixed or made plain that it is shared. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No not at all.  Why would I care if only my family or friends can use my system?
Do you not think they know me and my family?

If they happen to like my playlist then they can use it.  They won't see anything in my playlist I haven't given them access to anyway.
If I didn't want them to see my playlist then I'd just hide it from their view.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, cayars said:

If I didn't want them to see my playlist then I'd just hide it from their view.

..and how would a user do this if they were not an admin ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They couldn't of course but what is the big deal of seeing another person's playlist short of maybe just seeing to many listed which can be addressed.

We already know playlists will be revamped in the future and know how they work now and how to manage them (even if it takes work) so I'm not sure what you want here?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...