Public and private playlists

harrv

rbjtech
15 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Unfortunately that won't prevent them from either creating Playlists or accessing any Playlist either, from any Playlist item Detail view "Included in" row.

Ah really - ok, so what is it's purpose if it's removed from the user 'Access' ?

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

Ah really - ok, so what is it's purpose if it's removed from the user 'Access' ?

Exactly. Too bad I had to find it out the hard way before asking same:

rbjtech
9 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Exactly. Too bad I had to find it out the hard way before asking same:

I did lol at the duck metaphor .. 🤣

The only way I can think to stop users creating new playlists, is to write protect the ..programdata/data/playlists area - as that's where emby creates the folder and XML file..

• Like 1

Armageus
2 hours ago, horstepipe said:

Unfortunately from my undestanding that‘s not true as currently Playlists are organized within xml files and not in a database.

Explains a lot 🤦‍♂️

Even so, it shouldn't be hard to either add the fields to the XML files, or add a table to store a list of all the playlist XML files.

I just can't get my head around how relatively "easy" but significant changes like this haven't been implemented, but yet "A New blur effect" for the Now Playing background is classed as a more important use of development time 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
MonKaiju

+1 for private playlists

Also would be cool if users could group their playlists somehow. I have a few users that really go nuts with playlists...

kikinjo
On 2/3/2022 at 5:22 PM, Armageus said:

I just can't get my head around how relatively "easy" but significant changes like this haven't been implemented, but yet "A New blur effect" for the Now Playing background is classed as a more important use of development time 🤷‍♂️

Completely on point, another example is so much wanted feature from many users to have custom spotlight section on homepage where admin of server can add content.
But, so many dumb and unneeded features, or features that should not have that kinda priority are pushed. This is great example that "roadmap" either does not exists and that word priorities is word completely unknown for devs.

DarKni8

Yup Emby team, please dont go in wrong direction. Do the basics right, then work on all bells and whistles.

• Like 1

Ronstang
7 hours ago, DarKni8 said:

Yup Emby team, please dont go in wrong direction. Do the basics right, then work on all bells and whistles.

Yep....we have needed the new LiveTV for a long time.  It's more important and overdue since the current version is barely useable and the reason many switch to Premiere.

• 1 month later...
Mendocinotim
On 8/16/2018 at 5:47 AM, ddurdle said:

I'm wondering about Collections vs Playlists....

Collections are public groups of videos

Playlists are private(?) grouping of videos to play

The features seem very closely aligned, albeit I'm probably drastically exaggerating here.  But is playlists essentially private collections?   Life for the example the OP had, if he wanted to share his "Harv's Favorite Horror Films" with other users, he could create it as a collection, and if he did not, he could create it as a playlist?  So albeit all his request around a read-only public list is to be incorporated, 2 out of the 3 conditions are already satisfied today?  correct me if wrong....

I agree - playlists should by default be private while collections should be public.

Furthermore - there should be a way to remove an item from a playlist without deleting it from the server.

My Emby server is on an iMac.

Happy2Play
25 minutes ago, Mendocinotim said:

Furthermore - there should be a way to remove an item from a playlist without deleting it from the server.

I don't follow as there is a Remove from playlist option.

image.png.576ee1a0ba548e72ae10719a9d42e3d2.png

• Like 1

Mendocinotim
3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Okay, found it - thanks.

Long press the item thumbnail (not anywhere to the right of the icon). Long pressing to the right of the icon brings up options list, but when I release it selects whatever popped up under the press. Needs tweak to prevent selection upon release. Not intuitive, but it works, once I was able to sort it out.

Thank you.

Mendocinotim
1 minute ago, Mendocinotim said:

Okay, found it - thanks.

Long press the item thumbnail (not anywhere to the right of the icon). Long pressing to the right of the icon brings up options list, but when I release it selects whatever popped up under the press. Needs tweak to prevent selection upon release. Not intuitive, but it works, once I was able to sort it out.

Thank you.

Note.. am testing on iPad, both from browser interface and using Emby App. Both work about the same as mentioned above.

• 1 month later...

It's still something we plan on doing but right now there are higher priority items we're trying to knock out.

ertagon2
56 minutes ago, cayars said:

It's still something we plan on doing but right now there are higher priority items we're trying to knock out.

I believe you are incorrect.

What you are doing is knocking out what you believe to be the high priority items. If you had a feature request system, which I believe was something that was already mentioned multiple times, you would know exactly which items are high priority. More so, the community would know which items are a high priority.

You don't have to look far for an example. https://features.jellyfin.org/

I am really not trying to hate on anyone here, I liked the latest updates, but you sure don't make it easy.

• Agree 2

Mendocinotim

Perhaps this belongs in another forum suggestion area - but it also seems that when I "favorite" something via the web app, it does not show up for my user on my AppleTV. I tried favoriting something using the emby app on my ipad, and again, it failed to show up on AppleTV. It looks like the favoriting feature is messing up like with playlists that aren't working as they should too, no? Is there a connection? I don't know, but I thought I would mention it.

5 hours ago, ertagon2 said:

I believe you are incorrect.

What you are doing is knocking out what you believe to be the high priority items. If you had a feature request system, which I believe was something that was already mentioned multiple times, you would know exactly which items are high priority. More so, the community would know which items are a high priority.

You don't have to look far for an example. https://features.jellyfin.org/

I am really not trying to hate on anyone here, I liked the latest updates, but you sure don't make it easy.

Most of what people want with playlists is already there with a bit of work. Each user can have a private playlist or two. Playlists can be shared with 3 or 4 people but not everyone. Playlists can be public or private only. You sort of have to "work" tags and permissions to do it but it works.  Playlists could use an overhaul from a cosmetic standpoint to me more  like collections and it should move to storing the information in the database vs file which will alleviate problems when people move files. Of course private/public/shared access can be added as well.

But even older than Playlists and in the works for a while is changes to Live TV which IMHO should have a higher priority since it's one of the main components of Premiere. Personally I can think of a few things that should be higher priority but that's just me based on working with users all the time and seeing what kind of changes would be better for them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing it in any way as I'd like to see these changes too but Live TV, DVR, Transcoding, Conversions are always "top of the list" because they affect the way streams are played, not just how they are organized.  I would like to see the next release all but nail the edge-cases that cause "no compatible streams" then once playback has been improved work on some of the organizational things.

BTW, was just looking at the feature list you provided.  Almost everything on that list is in Emby already. Those were all things asked for previously.

DarKni8
31 minutes ago, cayars said:

Most of what people want with playlists is already there with a bit of work. Each user can have a private playlist or two. Playlists can be shared with 3 or 4 people but not everyone. Playlists can be public or private only. You sort of have to "work" tags and permissions to do it but it works.  Playlists could use an overhaul from a cosmetic standpoint to me more  like collections and it should move to storing the information in the database vs file which will alleviate problems when people move files. Of course private/public/shared access can be added as well.

But even older than Playlists and in the works for a while is changes to Live TV which IMHO should have a higher priority since it's one of the main components of Premiere. Personally I can think of a few things that should be higher priority but that's just me based on working with users all the time and seeing what kind of changes would be better for them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing it in any way as I'd like to see these changes too but Live TV, DVR, Transcoding, Conversions are always "top of the list" because they affect the way streams are played, not just how they are organized.  I would like to see the next release all but nail the edge-cases that cause "no compatible streams" then once playback has been improved work on some of the organizational things.

BTW, was just looking at the feature list you provided.  Almost everything on that list is in Emby already. Those were all things asked for previously.

I get no compatible streams with video level 52 on android device. 😕  i mentioned in other thread

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mendocinotim said:

Perhaps this belongs in another forum suggestion area - but it also seems that when I "favorite" something via the web app, it does not show up for my user on my AppleTV. I tried favoriting something using the emby app on my ipad, and again, it failed to show up on AppleTV. It looks like the favoriting feature is messing up like with playlists that aren't working as they should too, no? Is there a connection? I don't know, but I thought I would mention it.

Favorite is personal to each person. I have a template user on my system that I created.  I login from time to time looking for new material that is outstanding and favorite it.  I also have things laid out how I want them theme and all.  When I create a new user I do a restore of template->new user so all settings watched status and favorites get copied to the new user.

I make sure there are no watched or partially watched video or music for my template user.

11 hours ago, ertagon2 said:

If you had a feature request system, which I believe was something that was already mentioned multiple times, you would know exactly which items are high priority.

We have this forum which includes a way for you to support the requests you want but that is very incomplete information. Such a system is only used by a very small subset of, what are usually, power users. So it only gives a piece of the puzzle and one with a very distinct bias. 

However, the thing that actually is slowing down this request is more its complexity and overall impact on the system. These factors mean we have to sacrifice working on a lot of other things to implement it making it very costly. 

I'd say we're getting much closer to attacking it though. 

• Like 3

Vicpa

Hiya @ebr (How's it going?)

There are challenges in any feature request system. (my 2cents latter).

6 hours ago, cayars said:

@cayars I disagree with the above for a variety of reasons. 

Let's start with the obvious. " Playlists could use an overhaul from a cosmetic standpoint to me more  like collections and it should move to storing the information in the database vs file which will alleviate problems when people move files. Of course private/public/shared access can be added as well."

Thanks @ebr, @Luke  Playlist's display is looking much improved. I really like the custom sort order. I personally have about 30 different playlists. Having ones I am working on, or select frequently At the top is a real plus, particularly when navigating. with a remote.

playlists.thumb.jpg.e39d12cb74ce70cd1c7ec4768c568a51.jpg

The description can be helpful, especially for what should be a "Public" playlist. 

playlists1.thumb.jpg.cc0e8144fc7978321333ac6430af364d.jpg 

The Metadata edit screen just needs an "Access: " with a drop choice of "Private" or "Public" with a default of "private" 

playlist2.thumb.jpg.67f10cd5917ce8af6de30bf20ad22d22.jpg

Cayars -"Most of what people want with playlists is already there with a bit of work. Each user can have a private playlist or two"

In my opinion, Playlist by definition is private to the user logged on to the system.  A list of items that the user frequently plays.

So having playlists by default as public I feel is incorrect and therefore exclude access to playlists for all my users.

Again, In my opinion, Public playlists are generally a workaround for functionality that is missing.

Even in my example the Grammy Awards "Best Jazz Allums" is a workaround not being able to correctly shuffle a "Tag" 

-Thanks

-vicpa 

• Like 1

Funny I've always seen playlists being public.  That goes for copies of music where the playlist comes with it since it wasn't hidden/private.
Cars, stereos typically show the playlist used and name of song playing.

You see playlist everywhere on different services and wouldn't if they were private.

Even back in the day with PCs, mp3 players and phones programs would often create a playlist file right with the media that anyone would have access to.

Even Youtube and Spotify just recently added private playlists. Short of the setup to make it private Emby can do this now.

ertagon2
15 hours ago, cayars said:

It's not what is on the list that matters. It's the list that matters.

10 hours ago, ebr said:

We have this forum which includes a way for you to support the requests you want but that is very incomplete information. Such a system is only used by a very small subset of, what are usually, power users. So it only gives a piece of the puzzle and one with a very distinct bias. 

However, the thing that actually is slowing down this request is more its complexity and overall impact on the system. These factors mean we have to sacrifice working on a lot of other things to implement it making it very costly. 

I'd say we're getting much closer to attacking it though. 

Fair, but the community is still left in the blank on what's being worked on. Also, a forum has to be by far the worst form of managing requests, workflows or pretty much anything.
I guess what I am trying to say is, that some transparency (or structure) to these things would be welcomed by the community.

1 hour ago, cayars said:

Funny I've always seen playlists being public.  That goes for copies of music where the playlist comes with it since it wasn't hidden/private.
Cars, stereos typically show the playlist used and name of song playing.

You see playlist everywhere on different services and wouldn't if they were private.

Even back in the day with PCs, mp3 players and phones programs would often create a playlist file right with the media that anyone would have access to.

Even Youtube and Spotify just recently added private playlists. Short of the setup to make it private Emby can do this now.

Very interesting, would love to hear more but not entirely sure if you are trying to make a point in favour or against private playlists? Either way, for me it is the only thing that is separating me from moving my music library to Emby, there is no need for everyone to see my 15 playlists. Not to mention the extra confusion and overall navigation issues it would cause.

• Like 2

Vicpa

Hi

Funny, We must be taking about different things....

Emby provides a "Music Service" to all users that have access, you login with your userid etc.

I don't use Spotify, so let's for comparison pick Amazon Music or iTunes. Like Spotify, major players in the space.

Emby-

I log in to emby click on the playlist tab and I see every playlist that any user on the system created, 

Amazon

I log in to Amazon, click on the playlist tab. and I see ONLY the playlists created by me (or for me ).

amazon.jpg.fb2e849c7f7c6b9b4df6c52de27ef4ab.jpg

If Amazon worked like emby. There would be millions(?) of playlists on this tab.  Every playlist that any user on the system created.

I don't always rely on the "other players do it this way" for justification. But in this case emby should follow a more standard convention.

Thanks,

Vicpa.

• Agree 1