Public and private playlists

harrv

1 minute ago, Vicpa said:

@Lukefeature comment

Hi,

More opinions/preferences,

Can the display (playlist page) show them grouped by  type and  then sorted by sortname?

All the public playlist would be grouped together and my private stuff would be grouped and maintain my custom sort order.

Hope this makes sense.

-vicpa

I think maybe some kind of indicator might make more sense than that.

Vicpa

Hi 

I think the grouping is the way to go, but that is just an opinion Lol,

If it is just an indicator, two things, 

1) the artwork is small 2/2 collages. so the indicator needs to be smallish..

2) for the indicator how about an appropriately sized circular image of the emby logo, For public playlists?  It conveys the concept that they are system wide lists.

Thanks,

-vicpa

ertagon2

I don't get many chances to show my gratitude to the Emby team, so I will use this one-in-a-thousand opportunity to thank everyone involved in the development of this particular feature. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ray-finkle

Thank you for finally implementing this. It's been a complaint of literally every person that uses my server.

On 3/17/2023 at 2:36 PM, Luke said:

Yes. Any previously created playlists as well as playlist files that are just mixed in with your media libraries won't have these functions, so they'll just be visible or not per normal library access rules.

Hopefully there is some way to convert/assign existing playlists to a user... Manually doable by file and/or db edits is okay; more-so if scriptable.

1 hour ago, ray-finkle said:

Thank you for finally implementing this. It's been a complaint of literally every person that uses my server.

Hopefully there is some way to convert/assign existing playlists to a user... Manually doable by file and/or db edits is okay; more-so if scriptable.

It may require db queries but we'll see.

• 1 month later...
horstepipe

Is it also planned to add some kind of „editable“ „non editable“ options?

Iirc currently users can modify all playlists. So I‘d like to create playlists which other users can see, but not edit.

• Agree 4

• 1 month later...
Guest Brett_Dean
On 3/22/2023 at 1:20 AM, Luke said:

I think maybe some kind of indicator might make more sense than that.

I hope the private playlist feature can be launched soon. People have been waiting for this functionality for many years.
Thank you for doing such a great job!

Edited by Brett_Dean
none

You can join the beta if you like to help with testing and getting a feel for how it works.

Carlo

PS the beta is freely available on the download pages.

MBSki
5 minutes ago, Carlo said:

You can join the beta if you like to help with testing and getting a feel for how it works.

It's still missing basic functionality though, like the ability to change existing playlists to private and ability to control who can edit. Those will be added before this beta goes to stable right?

• Haha 1

First steps are testing the overall functionality as a lot of changes were made under the covers. :)

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, MBSki said:

It's still missing basic functionality though, like the ability to change existing playlists to private and ability to control who can edit. Those will be added before this beta goes to stable right?

The underpinnings for that are there but, at some point, we have to stop adding things that then have to be tested and just get a release out.  I'm not sure how extensive the permission editing will be in the first release.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

MBSki
42 minutes ago, ebr said:

The underpinnings for that are there but, at some point, we have to stop adding things that then have to be tested and just get a release out.  I'm not sure how extensive the permission editing will be in the first release.

Yea, I get it, but I'd rather you didn't add features until you were ready to at least make them usable. The public/private playlists are useless if it's only for new playlists and if you can't change who can edit them.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
MBSki

I'm guessing the beta is getting closer to release, but I haven't seen any new functionality added for public/private playlists.

@Luke @ebrCan you please at least add the functionality for existing playlists and add edit permissions?

• Haha 1

On 6/19/2023 at 9:01 AM, MBSki said:

I'm guessing the beta is getting closer to release, but I haven't seen any new functionality added for public/private playlists.

@Luke @ebrCan you please at least add the functionality for existing playlists and add edit permissions?

Yes, stay tuned.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
MicMillon
On 1/14/2019 at 10:32 PM, Luke said:

What is fixed though is that users will only be able to see playlists that have content in the libraries they have access to.

is this still fixed? I can see playlists with no content, as i don't have access to those libraries 

(I'm the admin, but I removed my "access" to my kids show libraries, because i don't wanna see them, on my profile, but i still see their empty playlists)

MBSki
16 minutes ago, ebr said:

The upcoming 4.8 server release will have this.

I think we're waiting to see this (functionality for existing playlists and add edit permissions) in beta first. Hopefully this will be added to beta in the next few weeks?

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...
MBSki

@Luke @ebr I believe the plan is to add functionality for existing playlists and add edit permissions in beta before releasing this feature to stable. Can you provide a status? I haven't seen this in the release notes for the latest beta.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

On 9/1/2023 at 2:48 PM, MBSki said:

@Luke @ebr I believe the plan is to add functionality for existing playlists and add edit permissions in beta before releasing this feature to stable. Can you provide a status? I haven't seen this in the release notes for the latest beta.

You can’t really add it to existing playlists because visibility of those is managed by normal access methods (e.g. library access, parental controls etc).

It’s the new playlists that are created in a separate location have their own rules based on public, private, sharing with users, etc).

You could easily recreate them though by adding the contents of one playlist to another and then deleting the old one.

MBSki
11 hours ago, Luke said:

You could easily recreate them though by adding the contents of one playlist to another and then deleting the old one.

Isn't that something you could program into the update process?

4 hours ago, MBSki said:

Sure but not everyone will need that conversion nor every playlist - plus not everyone may even use playlists.  So it comes down to how much longer do you want to put off a release of the next version in order to develop and test yet another piece of logic that may only be needed by a fraction of users and that can easily be worked out by those users?

6 hours ago, MBSki said:

Not really because you have to know who created the playlist in order to convert it to the new way. The 4.7 server isn't keeping track of that.