Public and private playlists

harrv

Ronstang

I think there needs to be a discrete home screen for each user.  I don't like seeing continue watching for other users  so that mine are so far buried that I just have to navigate to the show itself and find the last episode I watched. 

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

I think there needs to be a discrete home screen for each user.  I don't like seeing continue watching for other users  so that mine are so far buried that I just have to navigate to the show itself and find the last episode I watched. 

OT: Each user does have their own information here as CW is tracked by userid and item providerid.  You would need to open a topic going over specific example if you are seeing what you have described.

• Like 1

Twistator

Its also a problem of discretion and access! Emby gives me many options to have different media accessible for different users e.g.: different libraries, tag filtering, age rating filtering etc ...

But if both users have access to the playlist library they see the playlist of the others including the preview picture and name, maybe not the files I would have to check. But the preview is already bad. Lets assume people would use emby (not that I ever would) to have a separate 18+ library and you have family using the system for normal stuff. It would be mighty embarrassing if suddenly they had a playlist listed on the landing page with a bad name and picture. The only option is to disable the playlist feature (access to that library) for all users except my own.

It would be much appreciated if that got fixed/handled correctly.

Edited by Twistator

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, Twistator said:

Lets assume people would use emby (not that I ever would) to have a separate 18+ library

Why wouldn't you?

• Haha 1

rbjtech
15 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

You've kicked a hornet's nest, Playlist access/permissions is long due for revamp, hopefully in not too distant future. 

It's been long overdue for 4 YEARS - what makes you think it is even close to the top of the 'to do' list ?

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

It's been long overdue for 4 YEARS - what makes you think it is even close to the top of the 'to do' list ?

Hence "hopefully". 😉

Ronstang
On 1/25/2022 at 7:05 AM, rbjtech said:

Is anything at the top of the 'to do' list at all?  Where is the new properly functioning Live TV that I was told was a few months out almost a year and a half ago....which is why I bought Premier...but can't actually use yet.  I love emby but I would really like to actually use it for what I purchased it to do.

• Agree 2

rbjtech

To be fair to the Dev team - a LOT is happening in the background, but I do agree .. some of these promised upgrades are taking far too long... ;)

visproduction

You could run a script on the server or a batch file for windows where any non approved playlist is removed.  You would then have to scan and update the library.  These two steps would remove any number of playlists that are not yet listed as approved.

One approach would be to rename all the playlist folders to end in .off and then rename the approved ones back to not have the .off.  Then copy to a pending folder and remove any playlist that are left, that end in .off.  As an admin you can go in once in a while and see if there any new playlists that you can approve, you can add that name to the script or batch file.  It's a hack, but it could clean up hundreds of playlists and not change the approved lists with one command.

It's not ideal and the user would see their playlist for a while and then get removed.  So, it's not very user friendly.  I would be happy to post an example batch file, but I wonder if anyone really wants to do this.

Ronstang
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

To be fair to the Dev team - a LOT is happening in the background, but I do agree .. some of these promised upgrades are taking far too long... ;)

I know, I'm just jabbing them.  I truly love emby and I am being patient but I really need Live TV to work properly.  I am still paying a fortune in rented equipment each month to keep my cable boxes because I cannot use emby for Live TV for the whole family.

Ronstang

@visproduction I don't know how to write a script or run one and I shouldn't have to to keep other users from seeing what I have been watching.  I don't want anybody seeing what anybody else is watching.  Granted, it's my server so ultimately I can see anything in the dashboard but on the home screen of emby it is inappropriate in my opinion.  This should be a part of emby not something I have to figure a work around to correct.

• Agree 2

visproduction

Ronstang, I understand.  The hack would hardly be a fix.  There are already a lot of posts about this.  It might be worth itemizing separately with a numbered list, exactly how you imagine a playlist with extra features would work.  What do you think the admin would do and what exactly would the user see.  I think that would be helpful for the devs to figure out what ideas to use.  It's a lot of work to dig through comments and ideas and sort them out.  A list that briefly and exactly describes features, desired, would maybe be helpful.

Armageus
16 hours ago, visproduction said:

Ronstang, I understand.  The hack would hardly be a fix.  There are already a lot of posts about this.  It might be worth itemizing separately with a numbered list, exactly how you imagine a playlist with extra features would work.  What do you think the admin would do and what exactly would the user see.  I think that would be helpful for the devs to figure out what ideas to use.  It's a lot of work to dig through comments and ideas and sort them out.  A list that briefly and exactly describes features, desired, would maybe be helpful.

Not sure why another list is required when everything is in the first post?

Playlists need to private to a user by default, with an option to toggle whether the playlist is public or private?

The only expansion to this I can think of, is an option to specific whether the playlist can be edited publicly or not.

Edit: I can't believe this still needs to be explained after being a request for over 3 years

Edited by Armageus

6 hours ago, Armageus said:

I can't believe this still needs to be explained after being a request for over 3 years

Hi.  What you suggested is one way but there are a number of different ways this could be accomplished and it can get quite complex quite quickly.  Different folks may have different expectations about exactly what this FR means so being specific is a good thing.

Junglejim

+1 on this, but I do understand how hard it is for these features to get implemented. There are three area's these devs properly work on consistently... First is video, second is Audio, Third is Subtitles. Plus with all the new features they add they have to add backed stuff to make it work plus add the UI so it looks good!

Give these guys some slack, there doing a great job!

• Like 1

rbjtech
3 hours ago, Junglejim said:

+1 on this, but I do understand how hard it is for these features to get implemented. There are three area's these devs properly work on consistently... First is video, second is Audio, Third is Subtitles. Plus with all the new features they add they have to add backed stuff to make it work plus add the UI so it looks good!

image.png.12cf97feb2365b27e78c0576f54a3efd.png

Coming up to 4 years for what is a privacy concern - for me, this ranks higher than Video, Audio, Subtitles and things looking pretty .. imho.

DarKni8
23 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

image.png.12cf97feb2365b27e78c0576f54a3efd.png

Coming up to 4 years for what is a privacy concern - for me, this ranks higher than Video, Audio, Subtitles and things looking pretty .. imho.

Agree with this. Emby is solid from media playback POV  they need to improve privacy on this matter and make solid foundation for it

Armageus
3 hours ago, Junglejim said:

I think you over estimate how much work is required for some features.

In this case it essentially is:

- Add "Owner" and "isPublic" fields to "Playlist" table

- Add a bit of code to set owner when creating a playlist

- Add a gui option to toggle the "isPublic" field

- Tweak the bit that shows Playlists to "SELECT * FROM Playlists WHERE User='CURRENTUSER' or isPublic=true"

Probably less than an hours work for a junior developer, let alone a team of professional developers.

Instead we seem to constant GUI redesigns and minor visual tweaks, rather than any meaningful functionality improvements.

On 28/01/2022 at 15:19, ebr said:

Hi.  What you suggested is one way but there are a number of different ways this could be accomplished and it can get quite complex quite quickly.  Different folks may have different expectations about exactly what this FR means so being specific is a good thing.

Better to just implement a basic version of a feature, and then let people suggest improvements rather than be paralysed by indecision as seems to happen at the moment.

Edited by Armageus
  • Like 1

horstepipe

Unfortunately from my undestanding that‘s not true as currently Playlists are organized within xml files and not in a database.

• Agree 1

CarlosLima

I think Emby should have the ability for the administrator to be able to ban the creation of playlists and compilations by the average user. Every day I need to delete user-created playlists. That's pretty tiring.

rbjtech
16 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

Unfortunately from my undestanding that‘s not true as currently Playlists are organized within xml files and not in a database.

Yep they are XML files - but even so, there is nothing to suggest an owner/permissions cannot just be added to the XML file instead.  Only the Admin will have direct access to them.

• Like 1

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, CarlosLima said:

I think Emby should have the ability for the administrator to be able to ban the creation of playlists and compilations by the average user. Every day I need to delete user-created playlists. That's pretty tiring.

Just remove Playlists from their Library level access ... ;)

Collections I'm not 100% sure if you can 'stop' this - but you can remove the Collections Library from the user - in the user setup page.

GrimReaper
26 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Just remove Playlists from their Library level access ... ;)

Unfortunately that won't prevent them from either creating Playlists or accessing any Playlist either, from any Playlist item Detail view "Included in" row.

• Thanks 1