New QNAP Package for Testing

Luke

NAS is exposed to internet because of Emby and Plex allows my Grandkids to access some Movies and shows I recorded from local tv for them but is behind a firewall. Also set up so I can remotely access if necessary for Admin purposes but a VPN would help in reducing exposure and increasing security as well as limiting access to specific entities. I constantly monitor my logs and any thing out of ordinary i take it off line until can investigate and determine cause. Do have internet access limited to https though no cert with it yet as I know the ip and along with daughter and her husband and children are only ones who access. and i know their ip as well. I have the firewall set with a very limited set of ports forwarding and i watch both routers firewall logs as well for anything suspicious when I first set it up made the mistake of setting http access within hours saw over 700 attempts to hack in a few short hours immediately took off line and reset everything changed passwords etc.then set up https access only not perfect but better as attackers are sent off to dev/null land with no ping back. So far have been successful at keeping them out but realize i'm no expert so if they really want in if Govt and Silicone Valley with all its resources cant keep them out I can only be so lucky. I'm very small potatoes and of no real value other than someones enjoying harassing another human being just for their entertainment. As a forward I did change all the initial Passwords and user names for both routers as well as the NAS to make it more difficult for hackers to guess passwords when i set everything up the first time and do constantly change and rotate those still. If it wasn't for Keepassx to keep track of all of that I'd not be able to do that as my memory isn't that good. Hope this hard knocks experience and info will benefits someone in the future.

any more discussion regarding this probably should be limited to about the app for now as I forget how talkative I can be. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, can i use any of these packages for a QNAP TS-228A?

I'm looking to confirm but i believe you will use the arm x31 package.

• Like 1

Just wanted to let you know i tested the 3.6.0.31 beta and then 3.6.0.32 and both worked on my set up with no problems whatsoever. at least i haven't run into any problems as i tested the live tv and scheduling as well as playing a movie and Tv show i had and had no issues at all.

Edited by wangbo

Just wanted to let you know i tested the 3.6.0.31 beta and then 3.6.0.32 and both worked on my set up with no problems whatsoever. at least i haven't run into any problems as i tested the live tv and scheduling as well as playing a movie and Tv show i had and had no issues at all.

Thanks for the feedback !

BobbyFlobby

I'm looking to confirm but i believe you will use the arm x31 package.

I tried this package (along with the 2 others, and sadly i get the following errors)

Error    Failed to install Emby Server 3.6.0.31. Installation package is incompatible. Use the correct package.  

5b8a37de56105_nocigar.jpg

Edited by BobbyFlobby

Karajorma

I got the exact same error on my TS-431. When I looked at the log it told me "Failed to install Emby Server 3.6.0.32. You must first install and enable Mono >= 5.10."   

Edited by Karajorma

sfanetti

Infact you have to install firstly mono 5.11 or 5.12 (update) and then you install  the new version of Emby. I had no problem.

Edited by sfanetti

My mistake, yes. I forgot about the mono requirement. I will get that added to the instructions. Thanks.

Hi, can i use any of these packages for a QNAP TS-228A?

No but you could try Qoolbox's build from https://www.qnapclub.eu , instructions for adding this third party repository are at https://www.qnapclub.eu/en/howto/1

I got the exact same error on my TS-431. When I looked at the log it told me "Failed to install Emby Server 3.6.0.32. You must first install and enable Mono >= 5.10."

I can't find a new enough mono build for you to run Emby 3.5/3.6, however 3.4 installed from QnapClub should work.

Infact you have to install firstly mono 5.11 or 5.12 (update) and then you install  the new version of Emby. I had no problem.

You've stated previously that you have a TS-453 Pro for which QNAP themselves provide an up to date mono package. BobbyFlobby and Karajorma have ARM based NAS which are unrelated to your Intel Celeron based device.

BobbyFlobby

No but you could try Qoolbox's build from https://www.qnapclub.eu , instructions for adding this third party repository are at https://www.qnapclub.eu/en/howto/1

I can't find a new enough mono build for you to run Emby 3.5/3.6, however 3.4 installed from QnapClub should work.

You've stated previously that you have a TS-453 Pro for which QNAP themselves provide an up to date mono package. BobbyFlobby and Karajorma have ARM based NAS which are unrelated to your Intel Celeron based device.

Thanks for that, I kept trying a million and one different things and nothing worked, The QnapClub one does work though.

@@BobbyFlobby, that's great to hear.

Please keep in mind that the version you are running is not built, packaged or officially supported by the main Emby developers. If you have problems it is important that you follow this guide as it will help experienced users to assist you more easily.

nasferatu

Hi, sorry for the stupid question, but what version should I use for TS-659 Pro II ? I have 3.4.0.0 with Qmono 4.4.2.11

What package and what qmono?

Thank you in advance

/Mike

PenkethBoy

The OS on those very old EOL models, is x86

And finding a Mono/Qmono version - is a challenge

When i tested my 459 Pro II earlier in the year the newest QMono i could find was 5.4 and i would guess that might be the latest version available still - but have not checked

To be honest the Atom cpu is underpowered for anything other than browsing a library - plays stuff ok if it can direct play

Edited by PenkethBoy

Ok so yes for x86 we do not have an official package so you'll have to continue to use the community package.

wow you guys are cranking out the betas faster than i can try them out. I just installed 3.6.0.38 last night and it is working fine then i look and you already have 3.6.0.39 out so now gotta go download and try it out. or should I wait a day and see how many I'm behind then LOL