[SUPPORT THREAD] Embuary - A Emby Kodi Skin

sualfred

hstamas

And you are right. Something is messed up with the widget. I'm going to take a look into it. Thanks for the report.

Yep just tested again and if I try to move the Embycon version of the updated TV widget it disappears. The Emby for Kodi version seems to move properly.

sualfred

Found the issue. Typo. I'm going to push an update tomorrow.

abescalamis

Hello, I wanted to ask if you know how can I make the top header bar bigger, the reason why I ask is because I installed Kodi on an Iphone 8 plus, and I cannot access the side bar, the only Items that I can access from the top bar are the ones in the middle.

But I notice that I can fix it by increasing the size a little.

I don't have this issue on Android.

I'm very unfamiliar with IOS, I'm an Android guy and been unsuccesfully trying to convince my wife to switch to Android, any recommendation or skin suggestion is highly appreciated.

Edited by abescalamis

sualfred

Nope, because that require a rework of every existing template and animations.

This skin also has no touch and mouse support and a few parts won't work by using one of those input methods.

I highly suggest you to switch the skin before you get into troubles.

And -> On a phone it's always better to use the natvie Emby app / web gui. 

im85288

@@im85288FYI: Material reworked and on the repo

Awesome thanks, will you be bumping it for the Krypton version too? I use that on my Apple TV and didn’t notice a new version available.

Edit - did a force update of your repo and got the latest version, the theme looks very nice with the splash screen and other tweeks, thanks again

Edited by im85288
  • Like 1

hstamas

Boy this skin is SO close to becoming my daily driver but I am experiencing really poor GUI navigation speeds, especially when scrolling vertically. Very choppy and stutter. @suflfred, any idea why this would be so poor on a 2017 Nvidia Shield running SPMC v17.6? Im fairly new to the Shield having Windows machines in the past so maybe my expectations are too high coming off of Intel NUC i5 HTPC's?

im85288

I have also noticed it does seem a bit laggy on My nvidia shield, but this applies to EmbyCon too. On the shield I sit there waiting for things to load up from EmbyCon and navigation is not optimal. However running the exact same on my Apple TV 4K is lighting fast (both EmbyCon and this skin). So I’m guessing there’s something up with Android that’s causing the delay...incidentally and it may be a coincidence the shield seemed fine before updating it to the newish Oreo firmware that everyone’s complaining about

sualfred

Mostly Android. The best Kodi performance is still on Windows. Even LibreElec is slower and I was facing micro stutteirng on the same used device (Nuc i3 Skylake). I switched back to Win10.

Edit:
The upcoming Kodi 18 Leia has a new GUI rendering method. Maybe this will work better for you.

Edited by sualfred

Kinda off topic, but have you guys tried MRMC? The performance is better than Kodi or SPMC for me in a Mi Box, I'd imagine it'd be a lot better in a Shield.

The integrated Plex and Emby 'connect' which behaves like EmbyCon is awesome. If you're going to try it tho, I suggest to enter their Beta channel and use their latest one (v3.7) and use Ariana skin, it has become my default Plex and sometimes Emby player. Embuary is still miles ahead in terms of UI and features, but performance-wise, I'm afraid MRMC is better.

I already voted for Embuary to be ported on their forum. With Sualfred amazing skills, it'd be a dream come true if you're willing to contribute to there.

I have also noticed it does seem a bit laggy on My nvidia shield, but this applies to EmbyCon too. On the shield I sit there waiting for things to load up from EmbyCon and navigation is not optimal. However running the exact same on my Apple TV 4K is lighting fast (both EmbyCon and this skin). So I’m guessing there’s something up with Android that’s causing the delay...incidentally and it may be a coincidence the shield seemed fine before updating it to the newish Oreo firmware that everyone’s complaining about

Outside of EmbyCon does the Kodi UI on it's own not perform as well on android?

sualfred

@Luke 

It's not EmbyCon related. Kodi has problems with a larger amounts of item containers. And to simulate the Emby gui I have to use workarounds with grouplists and dozens of custom container listings. These grouplists have no "pre-caching" feature from the Kodi core.

Edit2:
But yes, EmbyCon is a lot slower than Kodi's internal database. The container filling process takes a few milliseconds. Via remote it's a pain for large databases. But that's nothing which can be fixed from the plugin side. Null already implemented paging to improve the user experience for such cases.

Edited by sualfred

im85288

Outside of EmbyCon does the Kodi UI on it's own not perform as well on android?

Yes it’s a general problem on Android as opposed to being skin or addon dependent. I also have Librelec (Linux os) as sualfred mentioned on another box and there’s no problems at all there, so the conclusion is Kodi on Android sucks and probably won’t improve as the main developer jumped ship and went to paid work for Mrmc (which is a fork of kodi!)

sualfred

Btw: MrMC gui engine is outdated compared to Kodi. Afaik it's based on Kodi 16. So Embuary cannot be ported.

Btw: MrMC gui engine is outdated compared to Kodi. Afaik it's based on Kodi 16. So Embuary cannot be ported.

Didn't know that, well that sucks  :(

Probably because they focused on performance first? The default skin looks really outdated, iirc it's only lately they put the effort on the UI. That's why I instantly remember you, with your GUI prowess you can do wonders, and they're starting from ground up so it should be possible to make it less bloated and add features etc. Wait I'm daydreaming again, haha. I just see a potential of something great.

sualfred

Dunno. The only thing I know is that the complete Android Kodi thing is based on "hacks". The same applies to CoreElec and the Amlogic devices.

As soon as they upgraded their GUI version, Embuary will run well if all dependencies can be installed. But that is a different story. I don't know if their Python addon compatiblity is 100% back.

im85288

No they ‘control’ the python integration. Personally I feel the whole mrmc thing sucks and is just an excuse to cash in on the hard work done by kodi developers. The UI is horrible, even on Apple which was their initial focus. You cannot install python addons so cannot use things like skinhelper etc etc..I’d go nowhere near that project if I were you, it restricts things far too much.

No they ‘control’ the python integration. Personally I feel the whole mrmc thing sucks and is just an excuse to cash in on the hard work done by kodi developers. The UI is horrible, even on Apple which was their initial focus. You cannot install python addons so cannot use things like skinhelper etc etc..I’d go nowhere near that project if I were you, it restricts things far too much.

First off, I bought MRMC so I'm probably biased, lol.

I agree that the UI is horrible, although Ariana skin on it looks promising. That's why I think with Sualfred can do his magic there.

Even with that horrible UI tho, the player quality and performance is excellent, that's why I bought it. 

Another plus is to have Plex and Emby library in one app, without addons. It's very much barebones now, but it plays great, which in the end of the day, the most important factor in a video player.

For those who love to tinker and play with addons, I agree that it sucks,you can't really add anything to it. But I think that's the choice they've made to make it more stable and focus on the experience, rather that letting people install addons etc. At least that's logical way to do it. By controlling and restrict, they can do that. Kinda like macOS vs windows debate. 

Kodi is open source tho, if someone is confident he can sell a fork of it, then by all means. 

I'm started to sound like MRMC rep now, jeez.

It's not all flowers and sunshine, they do lack important feature, like global search, which makes it tedious to find a particular movie  / tv show. 

Anyways, I don't want to go off topic here so, yeah.. 

hstamas

@Luke 

It's not EmbyCon related. Kodi has problems with a larger amounts of item containers. And to simulate the Emby gui I have to use workarounds with grouplists and dozens of custom container listings. These grouplists have no "pre-caching" feature from the Kodi core.

Edit2:

But yes, EmbyCon is a lot slower than Kodi's internal database. The container filling process takes a few milliseconds. Via remote it's a pain for large databases. But that's nothing which can be fixed from the plugin side. Null already implemented paging to improve the user experience for such cases.

I agree its a general Android issue as any other skin Ive tried other than the default Estuary (which is perfectly smooth btw) stutters terribly on the Shield. I got the Shield thinking I would be getter the best performing box I could get that was simple to use and stable but this GIU performance is just killing me (OCD again!). Looks like its back to Windows for this guy!

sualfred

As mentioned a few times in this thread, nope. Not possible.

If you have a mouse available, you mostly are sitting in the front of a PC and also have access to the Emby web gui. Use this one instead.

Edited by sualfred

ms78mama

has anyone tried to play any Music  Videos in AVI format with Embuary skin? None of my AVI file play, I get a play error. However with KODI original skin and Web Browser videos play fine. I tried both options in settings HTTP direct Stream and Trans-code but no luck. 

Edited by ms78mama

sualfred

Everything is handled by the Player core and the Emby addon. It's just a skin.

Please upload a debug log + give a step by step instruction how to reproduce it.