Show Intro Skip Option

Liquidfire88

crusher11

Sometimes when I manually enter intro times for an episode with no detected intro, it changes "Has Intro" to 'true' automatically and everything works. Other times, it remains 'false' and the "no intro" thumbnail remains present, even with the correct intro times present, and I have to manually change it to 'true' to get the thumbnails to show up.

36 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

It appears all the episodes have a chapter marker at the start of the end credits, but because it always uses different music it's not being picked up by the detection. Is there a way to tell the plugin that the second-last chapter marker is the start time for the credits (there's also one marking the end of each episode, presumably to allow skipping an episode entirely on the Blu-ray)?

We are about to change things so it is more of a chapter editor. Chapters are going to be how the clients know where the sequences are and show a button.

So, ... Yes, but not right now.

26 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Sometimes when I manually enter intro times for an episode with no detected intro, it changes "Has Intro" to 'true' automatically and everything works. Other times, it remains 'false' and the "no intro" thumbnail remains present, even with the correct intro times present, and I have to manually change it to 'true' to get the thumbnails to show up.

I'll take a look.

crusher11
2 hours ago, chef said:

We are about to change things so it is more of a chapter editor. Chapters are going to be how the clients know where the sequences are and show a button.

So, ... Yes, but not right now.

Why the need to alter chapters at all? I've got all that turned off at the moment, and if the timings are in the database what's the need? Seems like it would just bloat chapter lists/conflict with existing chapters.

samuelqwe
22 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Why the need to alter chapters at all? I've got all that turned off at the moment, and if the timings are in the database what's the need? Seems like it would just bloat chapter lists/conflict with existing chapters.

Because that's how it's gonna be implemented in the core of Emby. The data will be stored in the same place as the chapters, but that doesn't mean it will necessary show up with the other chapters. The intro and credit chapters will be labelled accordingly, so they can be filtered easily if that's something the Emby team wants to do.

adamstewiegreen

Looks like it recognized the intro (looks like HD version - since the SD version is 4:3) but the intro isn't skipped when I play it.

531989289_ScreenShot2022-02-15at5_08_39pm.png.e3a3ea2ab972425b7cf878a28a6a1ccb.png

I can get logs from playing through to where it's supposed to skip, if that's helpful?

Edit: I said earlier it didn't scan, but I realized now that that was the "Specials" folder that didn't scan and those don't have intros...

Edited by adamstewiegreen
more info

samuelqwe
2 minutes ago, adamstewiegreen said:

Looks like it recognized the intro (looks like HD version - since the SD version is 4:3) but the intro isn't skipped when I play it.

531989289_ScreenShot2022-02-15at5_08_39pm.png.e3a3ea2ab972425b7cf878a28a6a1ccb.png

I can get logs from playing through to where it's supposed to skip, if that's helpful?

Did you enable auto-skip for your user? It won't skip automatically unless you've set that up.

• Like 1

rbjtech
3 hours ago, crusher11 said:

On the subject of end credits, why exactly are we marking them anyway? What's the use case here?

To improve on the the fixed end credit notice currently in Emby.   Sometimes it's too early, other times too late.

The End Credit marker from introSkip I've found to be very accurate as it's based on Audio Fingerprint (the same as the Intro) in combination with Black Frame detection (Video) which accounts for a large percentage of how shows roll their end credits.

On the case where media is ripped from a physical DVD/BR source - then in a lot of cases, these chapters/markers are available and we could 'try' and leverage them - but as nothing is named consistently, it will have to be on a best efforts basis.   We could maybe just check to see if one exists before adding the IntroSkip findings and if one is within say 5 seconds, then we use the existing one instead (and update the marker).  This has been talked about before, especially for Anime.   It's something we will likely include for the next version, but no further enhancements are being added to the current version. 

Painkiller8818
3 hours ago, crusher11 said:

On the subject of end credits, why exactly are we marking them anyway? What's the use case here?

A lot people here also download movies from amazon, netflix, hulu etc. there are also no real working chapter markers on a lot of them. And some netflix produced shows have amazing long end credits 😕 

• Agree 2

rbjtech
5 hours ago, adamstewiegreen said:

Edit: I said earlier it didn't scan, but I realized now that that was the "Specials" folder that didn't scan and those don't have intros...

So the mechanism behind the 'skipping' is based on the Session Id and the Item Id.

I just tested this (I copied a version from another library into the same folder - the same as yours) - and I believe the issue is both versions have exactly the same Item Id ... which makes logical sense, but is playing havoc with IntroSkip.

@chef - Is there any other identifiers used when IntroSkip selects the Item Id ?  How is it going to know which version it chooses - the first one it hits in the query ?

image.png.c67ba8ec88028263eacc1975a03f5a07.png

56 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

So the mechanism behind the 'skipping' is based on the Session Id and the Item Id.

I just tested this (I copied a version from another library into the same folder - the same as yours) - and I believe the issue is both versions have exactly the same Item Id ... which makes logical sense, but is playing havoc with IntroSkip.

@chef - Is there any other identifiers used when IntroSkip selects the Item Id ?  How is it going to know which version it chooses - the first one it hits in the query ?

It's a recursive scan, I would imagine that it would scan the first one, then save it, then it would scan the next source. Because they share an ID, most likely the second source would save over the first. 

Or, it only grabs the first file path, because we don't iterate the media sources.

I'm going to try this today, to see.

Edited by chef
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

The path variable seems to be the file that is the first stream.

If you request media sources on the item, you can get the path for each file (resolution), but default seems to be the first.

crusher11
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

To improve on the the fixed end credit notice currently in Emby.   Sometimes it's too early, other times too late.

So the "next episode" popup?

Is there any thought of extending this to movies, and using it for deciding when to count something as played and when to count it as resumable? Shoah is nine hours with only a few minutes of credits, so it counts as played when a ton of the movie still remains. Shorter films get to the start of the credits, I exit, and it still lets me resume them.

• Like 1

rbjtech
9 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Is there any thought of extending this to movies, and using it for deciding when to count something as played and when to count it as resumable? Shoah is nine hours with only a few minutes of credits, so it counts as played when a ton of the movie still remains. Shorter films get to the start of the credits, I exit, and it still lets me resume them.

There is no currently plan to extend the 'credits' to movies - as the ideal behind it is to allow 'binge' watching where you effectively watch episodes back to back with no Intro's and no End Credits.  For movies you don't (generally) do this ...

That being said, the method we are using can be used on any video - so maybe something for the future.

On your 'resume' settings - then maybe you can tweak the per library settings but I think for extremes, you are always going to have issues.

image.png.d2f4a5c818b2f12894e4edf2195b2ee3.png

crusher11

Yeah, and that's my point. If there was a flag Emby knew was definitely the end of the film, it could use that to determine whether to resume or not, without having to guess. Could also use that to pop up the "next episode" message in a situation where movies are being watched as part of a playlist.

I suggested this in the Feature Requests section years ago, but it never got much traction.

I also have a lot of badly-edited basketball/football games where the end of the file is so close to the end of the game that the "next episode" popup is triggered before the final siren, which sometimes spoils that there won't be an overtime period. So it'd be useful for those.

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Yeah, and that's my point. If there was a flag Emby knew was definitely the end of the film, it could use that to determine whether to resume or not, without having to guess. Could also use that to pop up the "next episode" message in a situation where movies are being watched as part of a playlist.

I suggested this in the Feature Requests section years ago, but it never got much traction.

I also have a lot of badly-edited basketball/football games where the end of the file is so close to the end of the game that the "next episode" popup is triggered before the final siren, which sometimes spoils that there won't be an overtime period. So it'd be useful for those.

Yep.

All I can say is the next version is being built into the 'Core', meaning markers (of various types) are being used.  So technically there is nothing to stop these being used to trigger the 'next episode' - but this is something the core Dev's would need to do - Introskip has no influence on when the 'next episode' triggers.  Currently it simply overrules it, so you either never get to see it (if it's a very long Credit sequence), or it skips mid-way though the 'countdown' if it's less than 30/40? seconds.

crusher11

That seems...stupid. There's already a "skip to next episode immediately" button on that overlay, taking that decision away doesn't strike me as a good idea. Same reason people are asking for a button to pop up during the intro rather than it just automatically skipping.

The end-of-episode equivalent of that "skip intro" button - the very thing this plugin is trying to implement, for which autoskip was a mere workaround - is the "next episode" popup.

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

That seems...stupid. There's already a "skip to next episode immediately" button on that overlay, taking that decision away doesn't strike me as a good idea. Same reason people are asking for a button to pop up during the intro rather than it just automatically skipping.

The end-of-episode equivalent of that "skip intro" button - the very thing this plugin is trying to implement, for which autoskip was a mere workaround - is the "next episode" popup.

Who said we would be taking that away ?

This is a core dev decision - I'm suggesting they use the 'End credit' marker - created by our IntroSkip plugin to make the trigger more accurate.

If they choose to ignore it, that's up to them.

Personally, I no longer care about the Emby 'Next Episode' banner - Introskip skips at exactly the correct place for 99% of the time and onto the next episode.

Autoskip is not a mere workaround - you'll see from the response in the poll, that 80% of the users will use this even if they had the option of using a manual button.   

image.png.b9a98141ce6aa2fc62a6bf6be5f4d271.png

The good news is you'll have the choice - Autoskip will be a plugin once IntroSkip is in the Core.

BillOatman
3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Autoskip is not a mere workaround - you'll see from the response in the poll, that 80% of the users will use this even if they had the option of using a manual button.   

Count me in that group.  For IntroSkip and Commercial Skip I prefer to press Play then put the remote down and enjoy the show.

• Agree 1

crusher11

That poll question doesn't ask which method they prefer, just whether they found it effective or not (for example, sometimes you're in the mood to watch an intro and sometimes you aren't).

Nobody said you were taking anything away, I'm just saying that only having autoskip, rather than using the end credits trigger to pull up the "next episode" popup, seems like a dumb way to do things.

rbjtech
18 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Nobody said you were taking anything away, I'm just saying that only having autoskip, rather than using the end credits trigger to pull up the "next episode" popup, seems like a dumb way to do things.

Perhaps you need to explore the options we have given you.

If you don't want to auto-skip the End credit Sequences - and want what Emby gives you - then simply turn it off ... ?

image.png.4a93271e191f8b23b27e41aa1bfcdbef.png

crusher11

What Emby gives me is popped up at a set time relative to the end of the episode and is not triggered by a "the credits have started" marker.

BillOatman
16 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

What Emby gives me is popped up at a set time relative to the end of the episode and is not triggered by a "the credits have started" marker.

Correct as that's all it knows how to do at the present time.  Wouldn't it be better, if possible, to have Emby pop up the button at the actual start of the end credits?  That would be an option if the Emby core developers choose to go that way. I believe was the point of the initial comment.

Edited by BillOatman
  • Thanks 1

samuelqwe
32 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

Correct as that's all it knows how to do at the present time.  Wouldn't it be better, if possible, to have Emby pop up the button at the actual start of the end credits?  That would be an option if the Emby core developers choose to go that way. I believe was the point of the initial comment.

Yup, since they are adding the possibility to store these different types of markers in the core (each being identified by type), it is expected that these would be used to bring up a corresponding prompt at the right moment.

So that up next prompt would use the provided "CreditStart" marker to pop up right when the credits actually start.

• Thanks 1