Why isn't Emby available in the Samsung store for all countries?

eddienanousi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

DisasteR

Why adding a device when your TV Can Do all that for you.

Clearly the emby app must be available on every possible platform or some users will go black to Plex...

k0Lm.
29 minutes ago, DisasteR said:

Well, that's not really true.
For example the Shield is faster and has a wider range of audio and video codecs.
This means it will allow you to DirectPlay all types of video encodes / passthrough all types of audio types to a surround system.
Your TV won't be able to do that.

Edited by k0Lm.
typo
  • Like 1

FrostByte

Another thing to keep in mind is that Samsung stops supporting TVs after 5 years.  Once that happens you will need to sideload no matter where you live, or stick with the last update in the store.  Unless you want to use that as an excuse to get a new TV I suppose.  I'm finding myself in that boat right now.

I always thought it best to get the TV you want and then worry about how to best play Emby.  If you also get a sound system which can play HD audio, the Tizen app may not be the best option.  External boxes seem to be the way to go.  Finding one that supports both HD audio and HDR10+ (if needed) will be a little more difficult, though they are out there.

schamane
4 hours ago, DisasteR said:

Clearly the emby app must be available on every possible platform or some users will go black to Plex...

To be honest. 

Yes it's sad, that there is still no support on Samsung and it's also sad, how the responsible guys act in here for years.

But it' s also sad, how bad Samsung is, u will miss a lot of nice Apps on Samsung, their Store is a joke.

I like Tizen itself (cause it's linux based), but what Samsung has made out of it is ridicolous.

Do yourself a favor and purchase a Fire TV Stick or something. No Kodi, no good streaming software etc. all guys I know with a Samsung have a Stick attached and never looked back.

Even if there will be an extended country support, I would guess, this would be an outdated version.

Would be nice if there would be just good tv's on the market instead of that "smart" shit they try to sell to us, which will always get unusable/unsecure etc. after a few years.

Attaching a stick which will be outdated after a few years can just be replaced, all u need is a Display, but "smart" TV's are slow as hell at some point, and I haven't seen a good one out there (sony was the best I've seen, cause it's android TV)

Don't make ur decissions out of a software function 

Just my 2 cents

schamane

If u go for the 4k max I guess u should be fine with everything and the stick is sometime in sale for less then 30 Euro.

And if it's outdated in 5 years or so, purchase a new gen for again around 30 euro.

The nice thing about those sticks is, u just can replace ur Remote and don't have to handle 2 remotes.

As a plus those sticks are gr8 for travvelling, install wireguard on it, take it with u on travels.

Can just recommend these little sticks, only bad part about them is the amazon "thing"

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Painkiller8818
23 hours ago, Zhoth said:

Just to be sure, with a Fire Stick can I handle 4k video with HDR10 and DTS / Ac3 audio?

As far as i know, amazon fire TV stick no longer supports DTS, amazon has no longer purchased the license for this

Edited by Painkiller8818
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Houfino
On 3/31/2023 at 3:12 PM, parhamsan said:

For Anyone who is interested on changing their TV Region to US, I made a video to show how it can be done (My Region was Canada before, change was done on QN65Q900RBFXZC):

Cheers!!!

Hi...Thank you and it works...

This is a big problem for everyone..Why? Who wants to connect to America because of emby, you will lose applications where you live... I lost applications for example Voyo, Showtime, etc...I was upset about the app and I lost apps when I changed to US...I had to reset the TV again and back to original....I see that Luke has been talking for a total of 7 years and nothing...
I think it's better to buy, for example, an LG TV, Google Chromecast, etc.

DisasteR
On 4/29/2023 at 9:22 PM, k0Lm. said:

Well, that's not really true.
For example the Shield is faster and has a wider range of audio and video codecs.
This means it will allow you to DirectPlay all types of video encodes / passthrough all types of audio types to a surround system.
Your TV won't be able to do that.

On 4/30/2023 at 1:11 AM, schamane said:

Do yourself a favor and purchase a Fire TV Stick or something. No Kodi, no good streaming software etc. all guys I know with a Samsung have a Stick attached and never looked back.

Even if there will be an extended country support, I would guess, this would be an outdated version.

You just speak about capabilities.

If i just want to have a functioning player the TV is sufficient and i have no need to buy a new device.

On 5/8/2023 at 7:02 PM, Houfino said:

This is a big problem for everyone..Why? Who wants to connect to America because of emby, you will lose applications where you live... I lost applications for example Voyo, Showtime, etc...I was upset about the app and I lost apps when I changed to US...I had to reset the TV again and back to original....I see that Luke has been talking for a total of 7 years and nothing...

Clearly switch country for the hub is not a solution.... 

What is missing is communication from Luke about the process where are you on this ? your last message speek about a country expansion request what about that ?

ferzal

The lack of developer response is not unusual at all.

What worries me is that every single device I've looked at lately (and I've installed a few) either have plex preinstalled or prominently displayed in their marketplace.

For other devices you have to search the forgotten-app-realms of their store to find Emby or the device simply doesn't support it at all like some HiSense models (I don't even know of a workaround for that at the moment).

Why is Plex which is basically the same app (apart from being slightly inferior and heading in a weird direction and forcing subs for even the mildest of features) available everywhere and Emby is not?  Is it a lack of enthusiasm and PR from the Emby team?  It's like buying a new TV and finding Disney+ installed but not Netflix.  I honestly do not understand.  

The ONLY thing I can think of is the association with Kodi which, to be honest, passed its date of usefulness a while ago and is only used by hardcore hangers-on for the SLOW interface and people looking to find free live sports links (which are mostly junk now).  I don't know if you can hook Plex into Kodi.  I was actually looking at it today because I want to share my collection with my family, one of whom bought yet another TV that doesn't support Emby, but I just don't think I can stand it.  It's doubling up on the free streams you get with most TVs and makes claims that sound good but turn out to be nothing and some of those claims it's still making are actually being removed.  The core of these apps are hosting your ahem DRM free libraries for yourself and family and Plex, which seems to be losing sight of that, is absolutely everywhere and Emby is the green ghost.

What do you need to be where Plex is, app-wise?  Clearly it can be done. This monthly swap on my Samsung annoys me too.  So I don't use it. I have an overpowered HTPC which is good but apps running natively seem to get just a little better treatment than something coming through HDMI.  And then there's the sound-market idiocy that's forcing us into buying crap we don't want just to get their latest codecs sounding as they intended which is easier, for some reason, if coming from an app via eARC than in-out.

I know it's not easy with all the competing techs and idiotic wars like HDR10+ vs DV but Emby handles those problems pretty well.  Plex navigates everything, and charges for just about everything too.

The fork probably didn't help but they're new and unproven.  Emby is not.

8 hours ago, ferzal said:

The lack of developer response is not unusual at all.

Do you mean lack of response from us or Samsung? Because if you mean us, I can tell you, we have not stopped trying to get our app released for more locations.

wonderfulman1

Hello Emby Team,

first of all I would like to congratulate you on the wonderful application that you have developed and implemented over the years.

Secondly, I would like to ask you if you could contact Samsung to make your app available on the Italian app store for Samgung smart TVs that have the Tizen operating system.
(to avoid having to install your app via usb every 30 days and have it available without expiry)

I have already written to Samsung assistance explaining that your app is already available for the TV store with OS TIZEN on the Canadian/American market and they told me that to have it released also on the Italian store, you should write to them directly.
I also got mad at them because I also told them that you already wrote to them (I think).
and I requested the Italian assistance to verify if the app will ever be added to the Italian samsung app store. Continuing to insist unfortunately they didn't leave me any reference and they simply told me to try to check if it will appear in the store... yes, like magic! no comment....
Against this, could you ask Samsung again to release your app for the Italian store?

Thank you for everything and for your support.

parhamsan
5 hours ago, wonderfulman1 said:

Hello Emby Team,

first of all I would like to congratulate you on the wonderful application that you have developed and implemented over the years.

Secondly, I would like to ask you if you could contact Samsung to make your app available on the Italian app store for Samgung smart TVs that have the Tizen operating system.
(to avoid having to install your app via usb every 30 days and have it available without expiry)

I have already written to Samsung assistance explaining that your app is already available for the TV store with OS TIZEN on the Canadian/American market and they told me that to have it released also on the Italian store, you should write to them directly.
I also got mad at them because I also told them that you already wrote to them (I think).
and I requested the Italian assistance to verify if the app will ever be added to the Italian samsung app store. Continuing to insist unfortunately they didn't leave me any reference and they simply told me to try to check if it will appear in the store... yes, like magic! no comment....
Against this, could you ask Samsung again to release your app for the Italian store?

Thank you for everything and for your support.

Hey, for your information currently Emby is not available in Samsung TVs in Canadian Region so I had to change my TV's Region (to US) to download the app from Samsung App Store. Currently only Users in the USA, UK, and Ireland can install Emby in Samsung App Store!!!

wonderfulman1
18 hours ago, parhamsan said:

Hey, for your information currently Emby is not available in Samsung TVs in Canadian Region so I had to change my TV's Region (to US) to download the app from Samsung App Store. Currently only Users in the USA, UK, and Ireland can install Emby in Samsung App Store!!!

OK, but I replied to the topic because it is not in the Italian Samsung App store while in others it is... and since it is present in others, maybe it will be possible to make it available also in Italy.

GrimReaper
39 minutes ago, wonderfulman1 said:

OK, but I replied to the topic because it is not in the Italian Samsung App store while in others it is... and since it is present in others, maybe it will be possible to make it available also in Italy.

On 3/16/2023 at 11:42 PM, Luke said:

Periodically we try to negotiate this with Samsung again and we'll be doing that ASAP. We just need them to finish reviewing our current submissions because we can't submit a country expansion request while they're still in progress.

On 4/19/2023 at 10:18 PM, Luke said:

it did finally finish after about three months. We bugged them several times during the process and they just kept responding saying that review timer are longer right now because they're short staffed. It's been this way for the last year or so.

Anyhow, we've submitted a country expansion request, so we'll see how that goes.

wonderfulman1
On 5/21/2023 at 12:30 PM, GrimReaper said:

Oh god. those from samsung are outrageous!
They told me they haven't received any requests from the software manufacturer, and believe me I stressed them out a lot!

Let's hope that those of Samsung wake up ... with all the money they have to say they have little staff, it seems like a joke!🤦‍♂️

Edited by wonderfulman1

k0Lm.

Obviously Samsung will not talk to you about anything between Emby and Samsung. Next to that, the callcenter agent you spoke probably can't even view these types of cases simply because it is a different department. They have nothing to do with it so i wouldn't annoy them with it....

The way i see it Samsung is not to blame for everything, i mean if that was the case Plex wouldn't be available in the store in (for all i know) all countries.

They simply have a different set of requirements before an app will be available worldwide over specific country releases 

Edited by k0Lm.
Typo in the word department

Smonguer
On 5/17/2023 at 7:03 PM, Luke said:

Do you mean lack of response from us or Samsung? Because if you mean us, I can tell you, we have not stopped trying to get our app released for more locations.

Hi Luke!

Thanks for your amazing piece of software!

Is there anything us users can do to push the app approval from Samsung? E.g. ask them on Twitter, send us all the same email asking for their approval,...

Can you share the reasons Samsung has been blocking it?

TimTaylor

Actual, the Jellyfin Tizen App works with Emby and can be deployed via docker or sdk. The deployment process keeps all settings and it seems there is no 1 month problem :). That is my alternative way atm.

• Like 2

k0Lm.
10 hours ago, TimTaylor said:

Actual, the Jellyfin Tizen App works with Emby and can be deployed via docker or sdk. The deployment process keeps all settings and it seems there is no 1 month problem :). That is my alternative way atm.

I mean let's be real here, the whole expiration "feature" is something designed by Emby, not Samsung. If it was done by Samsung, then i'd like an explanation on why some versions of the usb installation does give the message but doesn't actually expire. Haven't updated the app i installed with usb in a long while..

tjb_altf4
27 minutes ago, k0Lm. said:

I mean let's be real here, the whole expiration "feature" is something designed by Emby, not Samsung. If it was done by Samsung, then i'd like an explanation on why some versions of the usb installation does give the message but doesn't actually expire. Haven't updated the app i installed with usb in a long while..

Samsung are an aggravating company to deal with, but its a hard pill to swallow to believe they would slow walk a revenue source for 5 years...

SamES
2 hours ago, k0Lm. said:

I mean let's be real here, the whole expiration "feature" is something designed by Emby, not Samsung.

And what exactly would be the benefit of doing that...?