Why isn't Emby available in the Samsung store for all countries?

eddienanousi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

croontje
22 minutes ago, Luke said:

For those in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and Canada, can you please check the app store on your Samsung TV and let us know if the Emby app is available now? Thanks !

Getting closer to Belgium 🥳

Thanks for the hard work

• Thanks 1

parhamsan
34 minutes ago, Luke said:

For those in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and Canada, can you please check the app store on your Samsung TV and let us know if the Emby app is available now? Thanks !

Can confirm that app is available in Canada but still the old version 1.2.6

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ultralord said:

Good job !! I hope to make it available to Greece!!!

Working on adding more.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, parhamsan said:

Can confirm that app is available in Canada but still the old version 1.2.6

Unfortunately the dev portal won’t let us submit requests to expand countries and update the app at the same time, so for now that’s the latest we have.

DisasteR
2 hours ago, Luke said:

I confirm ! Version 1.4.8 available in the French store.

Thank you !

serpi
On 8/2/2023 at 3:56 PM, Luke said:

Found it in the german store, but it's only version 1.2.6 (from April 2022), is this right?

Will there be an update?

My TV has modellcode GQ75Q60RGTXZG, which is this one: 75" QLED 4K Q60R (2019)?

Ciao, Alfred

serpi
On 8/2/2023 at 5:48 PM, technick90 said:

Also version 1.4.8 in Germany.

Thank You! Best News for Today!

That's strange, as I only have version 1.2.6 (just installed).

Are there different versions for different models in the store?

Ciao, Alfred

4 hours ago, serpi said:

Ciao, Alfred

Yes because it gets reviewed individually unfortunately.

SamES
4 hours ago, serpi said:

Ciao, Alfred

As has been mentioned a few times as well, Samsung typically only allows app updates in the store for the first 5 years after model release.  If your TV is more than 5 years old then this may be the latest version that we've currently been able to publish for that model/year, in which case the Beta USB version is currently the only way to get a newer version.   Unfortunately, you need to update that install after 30 days as that is the maximum time that Samsung allow Beta releases to function.

serpi
16 hours ago, SamES said:

As has been mentioned a few times as well, Samsung typically only allows app updates in the store for the first 5 years after model release.  If your TV is more than 5 years old then this may be the latest version that we've currently been able to publish for that model/year, in which case the Beta USB version is currently the only way to get a newer version.   Unfortunately, you need to update that install after 30 days as that is the maximum time that Samsung allow Beta releases to function.

It's a 2019 model, so it shouldn't be 5 years old (but that's how long I waited to have Emby available in the store...).

I just wonder, that it is such an old version, as it seems to be the first version in the (german) store, why are there different versions now in the german store at all? Doesn't make much sense to me?

serpi
On 8/2/2023 at 5:48 PM, technick90 said:

Also version 1.4.8 in Germany.

Thank You! Best News for Today!

What is your TV model?

FrostByte
1 hour ago, technick90 said:

GU50TU8079
UE40K5579

So, you have a 2020 TU and an older 2016 K if I'm reading that correctly.  The version you see on your 2016 should be much older since they stopped accepting app updates for those models in 2021.

FrostByte

Samsung also evaluates releases for each year and model group.  So, they can reject or accept an update for certain years or groups differently which in the past has caused everything to be different.  

For instance, in the developers chart below you see they had Premium, standard and basic models in 2023.  They have in the past accepted updates for one tier and rejected the same update for another tier in the same year.

https://developer.samsung.com/smarttv/develop/specifications/tv-model-groups.html

Then once a TV is 5 years old Samsung no longer tests or accepts any updates and you either stick with that version or go back to usb installs if you want to be current.

Edited by FrostByte

SamES
6 hours ago, serpi said:

It's a 2019 model, so it shouldn't be 5 years old (but that's how long I waited to have Emby available in the store...).

I just wonder, that it is such an old version, as it seems to be the first version in the (german) store, why are there different versions now in the german store at all? Doesn't make much sense to me?

There were some 2018 and 2019 models that Samsung failed the last update on but passed everything else (it happens occasionally as they have different testers for different year/models) so that's why you're only seeing 1.2.6.  It will get updated in the next round, but as Luke has stated Samsung won't allow us to do both country expansion and app updates at the same time

• Like 1

TamerEce

Please add also Turkey to the list, there are thousands of Emby users in Turkey and waiting for this feature. Thanks.

• Haha 1

serpi
17 hours ago, SamES said:

There were some 2018 and 2019 models that Samsung failed the last update on but passed everything else (it happens occasionally as they have different testers for different year/models) so that's why you're only seeing 1.2.6.  It will get updated in the next round, but as Luke has stated Samsung won't allow us to do both country expansion and app updates at the same time

I just do not understand, how this process works.

You keep telling about updates, but this is the first version in the german store (and kind of "brand new" in the store), so I don't understand how this can be such an old version in the store and even have different versions for different models!?

I'm just a little bit confused...

croontje

We should just wait. It is more important to have more countries in the list, even if the versions are older.

If Belgium would have the app in the Tizen store I would be very happy. If necessary I could downgrade my server but at least I don't have to use the USA store anymore.

FrostByte
2 hours ago, serpi said:

I just do not understand, how this process works.

You keep telling about updates, but this is the first version in the german store (and kind of "brand new" in the store), so I don't understand how this can be such an old version in the store and even have different versions for different models!?

I'm just a little bit confused...

As I mentioned earlier each year and each model group is evaluated separately and many times by different testing personnel.  There are usually 3 groups (Premium, standard, and basic) every year which I posted a link to.  So, an update can pass, fail, or be held up for some reason and you can potentially have 3 versions approved by Samsung for each year.  Multiply that by the number of years Tizen has been out (since 2015) and that is the potential number of different versions that could possibly be out there at any one time. 

Luckily it has never been that bad, but some years and model groups are behind because of that very reason.  It gets approved for some, and some it doesn't.  However, if it is approved for one group then it should be the same version for that group in every region.

Then after 5 years models from all 3 groups are frozen at the current version as Samsung will no longer test newer versions.  

The reason this all happens is because the Tizen version and thus the SDK the devs use changes every year and the capabilities of TV models between groups is sometimes different which is why Samsung tests every year and every group differently.  Just because an app works Tizen 4.5 doesn't mean it will work in Tizen 4.0 and just because it works on a Premium tv set doesn't mean it will work on basic model.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Thanks 1

parhamsan
17 minutes ago, PeterAndersson said:

Wish I knew that my smart tv would transform into it's final form after 5 years when I bought it...

22 hours ago, FrostByte said:

As I mentioned earlier each year and each model group is evaluated separately and many times by different testing personnel.  There are usually 3 groups (Premium, standard, and basic) every year which I posted a link to.  So, an update can pass, fail, or be held up for some reason and you can potentially have 3 versions approved by Samsung for each year.  Multiply that by the number of years Tizen has been out (since 2015) and that is the potential number of different versions that could possibly be out there at any one time. 

Luckily it has never been that bad, but some years and model groups are behind because of that very reason.  It gets approved for some, and some it doesn't.  However, if it is approved for one group then it should be the same version for that group in every region.

Then after 5 years models from all 3 groups are frozen at the current version as Samsung will no longer test newer versions.  

The reason this all happens is because the Tizen version and thus the SDK the devs use changes every year and the capabilities of TV models between groups is sometimes different which is why Samsung tests every year and every group differently.  Just because an app works Tizen 4.5 doesn't mean it will work in Tizen 4.0 and just because it works on a Premium tv set doesn't mean it will work on basic model.

I have a QN65Q900RBFXZC from 2019 (less than 5 years). On Samsung store the only available version is 1.2.6. My friend has a tv from 2020 and his version is 1.4.8.

So would it be ever possible to get a higher version of Emby or is it going to stay at the same version?

Thanks. 

1 minute ago, parhamsan said:

I have a QN65Q900RBFXZC from 2019 (less than 5 years). On Samsung store the only available version is 1.2.6. My friend has a tv from 2020 and his version is 1.4.8.

So would it be ever possible to get a higher version of Emby or is it going to stay at the same version?

Thanks. 

We are most likely going to be tied up with country expansion requests for the next month or so and then after that we’ll look at submitting a new version.

Since you have a 2019 yours should be able to receive an update.