Why isn't Emby available in the Samsung store for all countries?

eddienanousi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

FrostByte
3 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

I already tried this and it does not show emby in the apps.

This seems to be a mythos.

Lots of people are doing it now with no problem.  What you said you tried was "Any" which didn't work.  Changing it to US or UK however is working for lots of people.

• Agree 1

FrostByte
2 hours ago, ultralord said:

any news about the app version on us store? we have 1.2.6 at the moment

You may want to start your own thread; this one is about getting it in the store worldwide.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, mbguy said:

Just curious if this is a cost issue or some kind of weird licensing thing.

It's a really big hassle to download, unzip, copy the files, uninstall existing version from my TV, re-install, and re-enter credentials each time there is a new version. Worse for me, I have a Samsung UST TV that has to be positioned and calibrated properly against a tight space, and since its USB port is located on the back which is really hard to get to, each time I have to just "update" the app, I inadvertently will bump the UST TV and lose the positioning/calibration! 😡

This whole process involved in "updating" an app is so unacceptable in the year of 2022.

It's one thing I just leave it as it is choose not to upgrade, but eventually the app reports that "Your version is too old to use" so I am FORCED to go through the above frustration.

Is there something that can be done, Emby team?

You could put a usb extension cable on the back of your tv or something so you dont have to move it but honestly this whole topic should be dropped and just invest in a media box which can run the emby app, those auto-update and have better codecs then a TV.

Edited by k0Lm.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Marcus1305
8 hours ago, k0Lm. said:

You could put a usb extension cable on the back of your tv or something so you dont have to move it but honestly this whole topic should be dropped and just invest in a media box which can run the emby app, those auto-update and have better codecs then a TV.

That's not entirely true. Samsung TVs support dynamic HDR10+, and only since 2020 have Samsung TVs started getting hdmi 2.1 ports, which are needed to play HDR10+ content, and I also don't believe that many media boxes have it. Content with HDR10+ is most often from Amazon, and HDR10+ Blurays are appearing more and more. Even though I have an Android Box, I often use the Tizen app because it's very practical to use.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

FrostByte

There are some Android boxes which pass HDR10+ like you said.  Zidoo is one and I've seen people mention Emby works on it.  My Shield doesn't pass HDR10+ (or HLG) though.  

I'm sure what k0Lm was referring to that an external box will get you is better audio codec support when playing UHD movies if you have a soundbar or better.  TrueHD Atmos, DTS:X, which the Samsung app can't do.

• Agree 1

Marcus1305
53 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

There are some Android boxes which pass HDR10+ like you said.  Zidoo is one and I've seen people mention Emby works on it.  My Shield doesn't pass HDR10+ (or HLG) though.  

I'm sure what k0Lm was referring to that an external box will get you is better audio codec support when playing UHD movies if you have a soundbar or better.  TrueHD Atmos, DTS:X, which the Samsung app can't do.

Yeah I agree with that. But for watching content from streaming platforms, Samsung supports all lossy audio codecs (AC3, EAC3 atmos) and can passthrough them to the soundbar.Even Bluray remuxes with lossy AC3 audio tracks can be watched. For lossless audio formats like TrueHD, it would be necessary to connect the media box directly to the soundbar or via earc although I'm not sure whether Samsung can passthrough multichannel LPCM via earc which would be necessary because there is no support for DTS codecs .

Edited by Marcus1305
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Is there any planned release Date for Austria (not Australia 😀)

Would be nice to know if its anytime soon, since the monthly usb installation is a real mess...

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Developers!
You were asked it many times already sure how the samsung will be automatic update when already finally the program? LG perfect but the samsung stands since years for something. Why a program working perfectly is not let into the department store?

• Like 1

On 18/04/2022 at 08:21, Luke said:

Yea we'd either have to require emby premiere or potentially some additional per unit cost to offset what we'd have to start paying Samsung. 

Can't you just add a one time payment in the app store and give the money to samsung. Honestly I'd pay handsomely for this I've literally just bought a brand new Samsung qn90b and now it's damn useless as no emby.... I'm sure users will understand its a Samsung tax specifically.

I didn't even think in my wildest dreams this would be it would have totally changed my tv purchase decision completely  :( waste of 3k+ 

Pretty devastating tbh.

• Confused 1

tjb_altf4
24 minutes ago, Cadee said:
Solved. Luke wrote this already but I did not understand then. The TV it is necessary to put a region in another place you are american the app store the emby. Refreshes. The language the tvn does not change because of the region.

You then lose access to region locked apps for your own region. Not a problem for some, but not a silver bullet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

Emby Team, are you able to let us know why Emby app is not available in other regions, ie. Canada?

Is this because of cost-saving or licensing limitation?

To those who ask us to drop this request, here are the reasons behind the request:

1. VPN -- I don't want to get region locked out of my own region, not to mention paying extra for VPN or DNS service.

2. Buy a streaming box --- I would like to stop buying another streaming box that is compromised. For example, even the highest spec'ed Shield Pro (that I own) which supports bitstream of lossless audio, still does not support HDR10+ for my Samsung projector. Although the new ATV support HDR10+ it doesn't do bitstreaming of lossless audio, so as of now, the built-in Samsung on my projector is the best compromise I’m until the situation changes. 

3. Year 2022 -- as I said before, it is odd today to have to manually download, unzip, copy the files to USB stick, uninstall existing version from my TV, reboot TV, wait for TV to scan and re-install app, just to launch Emby app on my Samsung TV.

Edited by mbguy
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
djsynrgy

Years. Actual years, that we've been waiting for this.

I purchased the lifetime membership a couple years ago, give or take. I love Emby, generally, but this has been such a pain, for so long, that I ended up rage-installing Plex last week. I absolutely hate to say it, but they are crushing you guys on this issue. They're everywhere, including Samsung TV's. I greatly prefer Emby's UI and other features, but if I can't use it on my televisions, it's just-shy of pointless. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 3/6/2017 at 11:13 AM, Luke said:

We are working hard to get this app released worldwide, thanks !

I just saw this, so there is hope! 😂

7 hours ago, mbguy said:

I just saw this, so there is hope! 😂

You are late to the party 😉 

but on the other side it should show emby team that it's still a problem and doesn't go away soon (don't think that samsung will stop building TVs)... strange I didn't want to post in this thread again... 

Houfino

I am most disappointed that Emby is not in the store 😕
Can you explain why it is not in the store?
Because of the law? or dispute? Thank you

Why?
I'm tired of deleting and installing every time.. We lost the settings (login)..I don't know why it hasn't been solved for a long time...

tjb_altf4
8 hours ago, Houfino said:

Can you explain why it is not in the store?
Because of the law? or dispute? Thank you

Why?
I'm tired of deleting and installing every time.. We lost the settings (login)..I don't know why it hasn't been solved for a long time...

It is in the appstore, but only if you are in one of the 2 regions the Emby devs care about.

• Agree 1

On 11/9/2022 at 5:35 PM, Houfino said:

Especially knowing that Plex has been in the worldwide app store years on end now and thats not a company made app which Emby obv is,
it's literally created by a community and it's free for download.
I run Plex now next to Emby and kinda sad to say that the Samsung app (on Tizen OS) just works better.

Don't get me wrong, i still like Emby, the way it looks is just very appealing imo, i just don't love it anymore.
However, i am still rooting for Emby to improve on the Tizen TV platform , how foolish it may be.

They simply shouldnt forget that TizenOS is leading by miles on the TV market.. 
According to f.e. Hub - "Connected Home"'s quarterly Tracker of q3 2022, 56% of smart TV homes that stream using their smart TV is literally Tizen!!
source:https://www.sammobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/ivQkqLXSpmAukpPTiW3A9d-970-80.jpg

Edited by k0Lm.

psxlover
15 hours ago, k0Lm. said:

Especially knowing that Plex has been in the worldwide app store years on end now and thats not a company made app which Emby obv is,
it's literally created by a community and it's free for download.

@k0Lm. I think you have your facts wrong. Plex is made by a company (Plex, Inc) and is not created by a community, it's close source software with a lot of people working on it.

Edited by psxlover

3 hours ago, psxlover said:

@k0Lm. I think you have your facts wrong. Plex is made by a company (Plex, Inc) and is not created by a community, it's close source software with a lot of people working on it.

Ah oke thanks, i thought the tizen app specifically was created by the community, obv the main system itself isn't, thanks. But still, then you could say 1 company with the exact same criteria is already doing it so it's not impossible.

FrostByte
1 hour ago, k0Lm. said:

Ah oke thanks, i thought the tizen app specifically was created by the community, obv the main system itself isn't, thanks. But still, then you could say 1 company with the exact same criteria is already doing it so it's not impossible.

The Orsay (pre 2015 OS) app was developed by a couple of community users.

• Thanks 1

schamane

This Thread is like a slap in the face for every hoping Samsung Tizen User outside UK and US

None of the staff says something useful, but mainly useless Information is delivered sometimes, in the meanwhile users are frustrated.

We got it, you don't care about Tizen, cause of the costs, just say it and tell the Users, there will be no Tizen App for the non US and non UK Users, instead of letting people suffer in hope.

To be honest, I took a look into Tizen, and yes, Tizen is a nice thing itself, but Samsung f***** it up. The market is a joke in total. Not really a lot of good applications in there. A lot are missing.

enthusiasts like us, will attach a stick, but sadly, a lot of users will not understand, that the samsung Tizen market is trash and they will not attach another device to their more or less 1k TV, if the main apps work fine for them instead of one sort of "geek app" like emby.

• Agree 1

Personally i have a totally different experience then yours.

21 hours ago, schamane said:

None of the staff says something useful, but mainly useless Information is delivered sometimes, in the meanwhile users are frustrated.

I see so many issues being resolved by the Emby team, if you mean this topic specifically thats something else, but otherwise they do put the effort in and fix (not all) alot.

To be honest, I took a look into Tizen, and yes, Tizen is a nice thing itself, but Samsung f***** it up. The market is a joke in total. Not really a lot of good applications in there. A lot are missing.

I think this is country based, for my country all the apps needed are there to the point we don't even need regular cable. Those broadcasts we can watch on-demand for free.

enthusiasts like us, will attach a stick, but sadly, a lot of users will not understand, that the samsung Tizen market is trash and they will not attach another device to their more or less 1k TV, if the main apps work fine for them instead of one sort of "geek app" like emby.

When you say "attach a stick", my mind instantly goes to Amazon's Firestick which if we are talking about "trash", is trash itself.
An enthusiastic would be in the category of f.e. an Nvidia Shield, fast, proper audio output for external speakers/soundbar, AI upscaling, you name it and it has it.
Still, it sounds like if you let someone else with a Tizen TV on your server you give them a free stick with it?

But yeah to get back on topic, i think it's a good call that they've kept this topic open so far (they could've closed it, right) to give us the opportunity to talk about it.

• 2 weeks later...
kiraserv
On 9/10/2022 at 9:36 PM, k0Lm. said:

It's that sort of attitude that makes people want to move to Plex...

• Confused 1

FrostByte
2 hours ago, kiraserv said:

It's that sort of attitude that makes people want to move to Plex...

I don't understand.  He's just suggesting work arounds for people that work with Emby right now.