Why isn't Emby available in the Samsung store for all countries?

eddienanousi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

You could use something like the "SanDisk Connect Wireless Stick" and create a scripts which checks for updates and auto deploy new versions 😅

Since i am a LG and (former)  SAMSUNG user let me tell you that it is better to have the option than not to have it.

Cheers 

31 minutes ago, mbo said:

You could use something like the "SanDisk Connect Wireless Stick" and create a scripts which checks for updates and auto deploy new versions 😅

nice idea! or, simpler, switch back to p**x, which is in the european store, and the new version does not require an account anymore ;)

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, mbo said:

Since i am a LG and (former)  SAMSUNG user let me tell you that it is better to have the option than not to have it.

Cheers 

That doesn't help in the end either, you have to update manually and delete the app beforehand. Thus all settings are gone again 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 1/1/2022 at 10:55 PM, gabricar said:

Any updates on this? I also have some difficult accessing the back of my TV. I'm using Plex for now but I really would like to go back to emby.

Thx guys

Hi, we are working on this, but in the meantime you can always install our USB version: https://emby.media/emby-for-samsung-smart-tv.html

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
superdonpan
On 4/28/2021 at 9:50 PM, Luke said:

We're working as hard as we can to get the app released worldwide. We're doing the best we can given the cards that have been dealt by Samsung.

Can anyone enlighten me why this is such an issue? Isn't it possible for anyone to submit an app to the Samsung store? Then what's the obstacles?

This constant having to update every 30 days is a total drag and it doesn't really matter how "easy" it is to do. Unless Samsung has a ban on Emby which makes it impossible for Emby to even get reviewed, outside of USA, UK, and Ireland, then I can't see why this isn't just fixed.

Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, superdonpan said:

Isn't it possible for anyone to submit an app to the Samsung store?

Hi.  No, not in all regions and especially not if any portion of the app is commercial in nature (requires payment).

superdonpan
29 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  No, not in all regions and especially not if any portion of the app is commercial in nature (requires payment).

Thanks for elaborating somewhat. But how do your competitors get around this? The main competitor seems to be on all platforms and as far as I know the apps are pretty identical in functions and commercial aspects.

• Agree 1

Painkiller8818
9 hours ago, ebr said:

How did Plex do it? or lets say Disney+, Netflix, Amazon?

They all have pay plans.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

They all have pay plans.

$$

frankkahle

I would really to get a non-beta client that doesn't expire every 2 weeks that I can install on my new 75" samsung rizen tv.  If i live in the US or UK I can get it, why not in Canada.  its a real pain to re-install the app from USB every time it expires.

miniliQuid
On 1/27/2022 at 9:37 AM, Painkiller8818 said:

They all have pay plans.

Plex has little reason to be on there, though it could simply be that their audience is bigger (I knew about Plex way earlier than Emby).
The other 3 are not a comparison as they come with content, so there is a huge reason for them to be available as that means more $$$ for them, so they gain a lot more from being available on the samsung stores and therefor forking over a portion to samsung isn't that problematic.

Problem for plex and emby is that it comes empty, so unless you know someone with a server, or have a server, you won't be using or paying for it.
If Samsung then still asks a hefty fee, there is little profit to make for emby to get on their store.
Knowing Samsung they don't budge on their stupid policies, which is the reason I nog longer have a samsung phone and when I need a new TV, it's not gonna be Samsung.

Sucks for the time being, but they are just a pain in the butt. You can blame Emby, but if I was in their shoes I would probably make the same decision.

On 1/28/2022 at 12:47 PM, miniliQuid said:

Not to be rude but i have to disagree.
According to the information given it shouldn't be a money issue, why else would they have already applied a couple of times which got denied?
Also they could just let us rebuild and generate the certificate for the app ourselves, with this method you will not get the message that the app is outdated and unusable, this is something i use for about a year now for apps i want (and have) but are "impossible" for tizenOS, works flawlessly.
The downside for them would be that we wouldn't update the app until we feel like it, the upside for us would be we don't get that annoying message and maybe a nice side affect would be that stuff like the subtitles would still be at the appropriate height instead of the current awkwardness.

I have a Samsung TV and as long as they use their crappy Tizen OS i will never buy another Samsung product again. It's a total joke and their interface is one of the worst pieces of sh*t i've ever had the displeasure of using.

This issue with the app store is an abomination as well as their advertising thumbnails on a TV I have a paid for. That and the constant "scanning hardware for changes" does my head in.

martytheman

Hello

I have previously used Emby on an LG tv and I have just changed to a Samsung Neo QLED QN 85A

We are in New Zealand - and I don't really want to much around with the App store because we have other Programs on there ( Netflix , Neon ) 

How can I get Emby on my TV?  Is Casting from my phone the only option?

A bit disappointing I must say - as I previously switched from Plex  . I have a lifetime subscription on Plex and Emby and I am considering switcing back to Plex as it was already installed on the TV. 

FrostByte

There are currently only two ways to get the Emby app on your TV because of where you are.  The first is to download the install file, copy to usb and then install that way.  Because Emby doesn't have a contract with Samsung in all countries yet the other way would be to change your app region to US or UK and install from the Samsung store.

• Like 1

Napo_Leon

I like to know as well if there are any strides made towards getting the Emby app in other than US/UK Samsung stores?
If so, is there a projected timeframe for these app's to become approved?

The only one who owns a Samsung TV in my user base is my 75 year old father-in-law, try to explain over the phone he has to delete the app and reinstall from USB every 30 days.....pfff....... 😞

We are working on improving this but we are doing the best we can given the cards that have been dealt to us. Thanks.

On 04/02/2022 at 09:37, martytheman said:

Hello

I have previously used Emby on an LG tv and I have just changed to a Samsung Neo QLED QN 85A

We are in New Zealand - and I don't really want to much around with the App store because we have other Programs on there ( Netflix , Neon ) 

How can I get Emby on my TV?  Is Casting from my phone the only option?

A bit disappointing I must say - as I previously switched from Plex  . I have a lifetime subscription on Plex and Emby and I am considering switcing back to Plex as it was already installed on the TV. 

I installed Emby via USB on my Samsung and it works great, been using it on my Samsung TV for a few years now. (also in NZ)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madnz said:

I installed Emby via USB on my Samsung and it works great, been using it on my Samsung TV for a few years now. (also in NZ)

Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 months later...
schamane

Hi,

as mentioned here already

Is there a possibility for a one-time purchasement?

Still annoyed, that every app is existing, like plex, but emby doesn't find a way to get on the samsung store.

I know it sucks, but for ur users it's even more frustrating

k0Lm.
1 hour ago, schamane said:

Hi,

as mentioned here already

Is there a possibility for a one-time purchasement?

Still annoyed, that every app is existing, like plex, but emby doesn't find a way to get on the samsung store.

I know it sucks, but for ur users it's even more frustrating

Personally i would be against another fee. I paid for a full license already and expect if there would be a world wide release it would be included in this.

schamane

Got it, I don't like it as well.

But I would still prefer paying 1 or 2 Euro for regular updates and no need to reinstall every 30 days.

The best Solution would be a solution from emby-side, but if there is a possibility to get around this with paying a few coins, I would still don´t prefer it, but it would be ok for me.

schamane

to be honest, I start get a bit disappointed, no one of the emby staff is answering and all we get is "We working on it" on several topics in this forum, that's bad customer care in my opinion.

I mean we can just suggest solutions and as for opportunities, but getting ignored is frustrating.

I mean I was pointed to this thread by luke, that here is also a discussion about the Samsung Tizen topic and what does it lead me too? Users talking about that, but nothing useful from the side of the emby-team.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1