Why isn't Emby available in the Samsung store for all countries?

eddienanousi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

k0Lm.
1 hour ago, SamES said:

And what exactly would be the benefit of doing that...?

I mean it would keep everyone using the latest version and making it alot easier for bug fixes. Not having to fix bugs caused in an older version while working of a way newer one? Idk that is just thinking after the fact but it's weird right that just some versions work after their "expiration date".

• Like 1

FrostByte
44 minutes ago, k0Lm. said:

I mean it would keep everyone using the latest version and making it alot easier for bug fixes. Not having to fix bugs caused in an older version while working of a way newer one? Idk that is just thinking after the fact but it's weird right that just some versions work after their "expiration date".

From what I understand the insertion of the expiration only started about a couple years ago.  The distro version of the app is compiled on Samsung servers and the expiration is automatically added by Samsung during compiling to begin about 30 days after compiling. 

The only thing the Emby devs add is the reminder which starts a couple of days before the expiration so that you can start looking for a newer version.  Otherwise you can get blindsided when starting the app and it doesn't work.  These messages started being added a few months before the expiration started being added by Samsung.

So yes, if you find an install file before Samsung started adding the expiration date it won't expire.  I've posted a link to one such file on GitHub a few times.  And if you can find a version which is even older than the one I linked then you won't get the notice message either.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 2

Samsung expires the USB builds after 30 days. We alert you 1-2 days prior to that.

• Like 2

rbjtech
21 hours ago, Luke said:

Samsung expires the USB builds after 30 days. We alert you 1-2 days prior to that.

Is this only for countries that don't have the App in the Samsung Store (UK) ?   As I sideload the App from USB to get the latest Beta build, and have never seen an expiry message .. ?

Edited by rbjtech

FrostByte
16 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Is this only for countries that don't have the App in the Samsung Store (UK) ?   As I sideload the App from USB to get the latest Beta build, and have never seen an expiry message .. ?

Which version are you running?  But yes, it should after about 30 days unless something has changed :)  I've always seen it here in the US, but typically update before the expiration takes place.

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

Version 1.5.5 was compiled around 5/16, so it should start displaying warning messages about 6/14 and expire on 6/16.  It shouldn't even allow you to install it anymore, so the zip becomes useless at that time.

rbjtech
9 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Which version are you running?  But yes, it should after about 30 days unless something has changed :)  I've always seen it here in the US, but typically update before the expiration takes place.

1.5.5 - which I believe is the latest ?

But I've never seen a message nor needed to update it - it definately does not update iself, because I wanted 1.5.5 for the TV Series updates, so just updated it manually but was on a much older version for some time - but that was loaded via USB as well - well over 30 days, probably 3 months at least... very odd.   

FrostByte
42 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

1.5.5 - which I believe is the latest ?

But I've never seen a message nor needed to update it - it definately does not update iself, because I wanted 1.5.5 for the TV Series updates, so just updated it manually but was on a much older version for some time - but that was loaded via USB as well - well over 30 days, probably 3 months at least... very odd.   

Yes, 1.5.5 is the latest.

USB installs haven't always expired.  That only started a maybe couple years ago (not sure exact date).  Anything compiled before Samsung started adding the expiration you could keep forever just like the version from the store. 

If your previous install was only 3 months old then that would be odd.  Only the store version should not expire.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Thanks 1

wonderfulman1
On 5/28/2023 at 4:29 PM, Smonguer said:

Hi Luke!

Thanks for your amazing piece of software!

Is there anything us users can do to push the app approval from Samsung? E.g. ask them on Twitter, send us all the same email asking for their approval,...

Can you share the reasons Samsung has been blocking it?

I agree. Is there anything we Emby users can do to put pressure on Samsung to publish your app on their store? (in my case the Italian one)

2 hours ago, wonderfulman1 said:

I agree. Is there anything we Emby users can do to put pressure on Samsung to publish your app on their store? (in my case the Italian one)

Hi.  Unfortunately, no.  Their process is convoluted and dis-jointed but we may be making small progress soon.  Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wonderfulman1
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Unfortunately, no.  Their process is convoluted and dis-jointed but we may be making small progress soon.  Thanks.

ok hopefully soon. Thanks again guys.

• Like 1

hispeed

@ebr

Thank you, i will go they way down on Samsung support to give that process a boost ;) .

And anyway it shouldn't be like this if you do a USB installation the app has to stay even it can't start anymore because incompatibility. This is the way software has to be and not the other way. We just need to write all them and take the fight.

psxlover
17 hours ago, hispeed said:

@ebr

Thank you, i will go they way down on Samsung support to give that process a boost ;) .

And anyway it shouldn't be like this if you do a USB installation the app has to stay even it can't start anymore because incompatibility. This is the way software has to be and not the other way. We just need to write all them and take the fight.

That's not the way to start any fight. USB installations are only for testing purpose, it is not the intention to have applications installed that way by end users. Emby is just using that to circumvent the unavailability of the application on a global scale (in addition to having new changes tested).

• Agree 1

hispeed

Sometimes it would be better to shut down the internet ^^ that would solve a lot of problems as well.

I only say: Plex is available concering DMA and if you install a software on any operating system the software stays there until you remove it even it doesn't start anymore. This has nothing with testing to do. This has only with "Marketing" to do ;).

Concerning DMA you would have to remove 95% of the apps in the Samsung Swiss store ;).

I have contacted Samsung and yes i recieved the standard answer of course. I replied today and we will see it won't hurt anyone in anyway.

Just to give you an idea of what we're dealing with, when I said I opened a ticket in April to add more countries, that ticket was eventually automatically closed by Samsung's ticketing system due to the assigned Samsung rep not responding to it within the required time period. Then they told us to resubmit, so we did, and the same thing was about to happen again, when finally on the very last day they gave us an email address of someone to contact. 

So they don't have a standardized process for this. Someone eventually has to grant you permission or partner status, and unfortunately, you have to talk to a different person for every country or region that you want to release in. This is not like other app stores where you just submit once and check off a list of all the countries you want to support.

Anyway we are sticking with it via continued follow-ups so we'll see where that leads.

• Like 2

hispeed

Thank you for this information I see the problem. So it's mixed between: i don't want to work ^^ and marketing and I don't care not my problem. 
I recieved an: i don't want to work answer ;) unfortunately for this person I will not give up so then I hang in there :).

I am a Samsung user from the Netherlands and, like many, paid for Emby. It is definitely a nice service and counterpart to Plex. But the irritation of not having an app in the Samsung store is great.

And I can relate to cost and effort your side, but surely there are alternative solutions until there is a final solution?
1) Install 1x via USB and then build in IN-app update functionality (sideload installation)
2) Not letting the licence expire after 30 days already

Now it's every month: uninstall the app (which is irritating enough on my TV), start the USB installation (sometimes not smoothly either), then enter the user credentials again with a TV remote control, which is also annoying and then you have to do your user/app settings again and repeat this every month again... this doesn't sound very logical to me in 2023 :D

SamES
3 hours ago, KOD said:

I am a Samsung user from the Netherlands and, like many, paid for Emby. It is definitely a nice service and counterpart to Plex. But the irritation of not having an app in the Samsung store is great.

And I can relate to cost and effort your side, but surely there are alternative solutions until there is a final solution?
1) Install 1x via USB and then build in IN-app update functionality (sideload installation)
2) Not letting the licence expire after 30 days already

Now it's every month: uninstall the app (which is irritating enough on my TV), start the USB installation (sometimes not smoothly either), then enter the user credentials again with a TV remote control, which is also annoying and then you have to do your user/app settings again and repeat this every month again... this doesn't sound very logical to me in 2023 :D

I understand the frustration, but unfortunately neither of these options are possible as the packaging and expiration of the USB installation is controlled by Samsung.  I can assure you a lot of effort has been going into trying to resolve the store issue.  On one hand, we are fortunate that Samsung even makes it possible for us to create packaged USB releases in this way as prior to that, there was no alternative if the store version wasn't available.

• 4 weeks later...

For those in Canada can you please check the app store on your Samsung TV and let us know if the Emby app is available now? Thanks !

djsynrgy
30 minutes ago, Luke said:

For those in Canada can you please check the app store on your Samsung TV and let us know if the Emby app is available now? Thanks !

No luck here.

Model QN65Q60TAFXZC

Software version T-NKLAKUC-2303.1, BT-S

Also tried a different Samsung in the house and no dice there, either. Maybe I'm too early? Will try again in the morning..

18 minutes ago, djsynrgy said:

No luck here.

Model QN65Q60TAFXZC

Software version T-NKLAKUC-2303.1, BT-S

Also tried a different Samsung in the house and no dice there, either. Maybe I'm too early? Will try again in the morning..

Yea keep trying if you don't mind. They told us it should be available in Canada now. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Yea keep trying if you don't mind. They told us it should be available in Canada now. Thanks.

FYI: 

parhamsan
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi Luke, I can confirm that Emby App is now available in my Canada region TV, but is this this latest app version?

Edited by parhamsan