Why isn't Emby available in the Samsung store for all countries?

eddienanousi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Painkiller8818
1 hour ago, usenet said:

Shit I didn't know this,  I am about to sign up for Premiere so I need to wait for it to release in my region.

So you probably won't see this happening in a single lifetime :D

Since we now we do have the option to install from USB this is not really a problem, they can take the time sorting it with Samsung.

There are more important things waiting in the pipeline forever, like chapter support or the ability to skip more than a few seconds at a time. You need to be really patient if you want to see a movie scene which is not in the first 10 minutes. This is the main reason I keep Emby just for backup in case Plex has a problem.

Still, this is not a reason not to purchase Premium. I got a lifetime subscription to help the developers. Samsung is not the only platform and Emby it's a good product, with much better support than PLEX if you run into problems (although I recently migrated both to Synology and I got excellent support from PLEX but this is probably related to Chuck being very active on the support forums).

Painkiller8818
4 hours ago, deme74 said:

like chapter support or the ability to skip more than a few seconds at a time

This is already implemented.

Since we now we do have the option to install from USB this is not really a problem, they can take the time sorting it with Samsung.

the problem is that every month you have to download the zip, copy it in a usb disk, connect the disk to the TV,  delete the emby app, install the emby app. Month after month, year after year.

Still, this is not a reason not to purchase Premium. I got a lifetime subscription to help the developers. Samsung is not the only platform and Emby it's a good product, with much better support than PLEX if you run into problems (although I recently migrated both to Synology and I got excellent support from PLEX but this is probably related to Chuck being very active on the support forums).

It is definitely a reason!! If I have two samsung tizen TV in my house do I have to change them because of emby not boing able to land  in samsung europe store? Come on, you're not unbiased...

32 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

This is already implemented.

Cool, I just checked, as I said Emby is just for backup now so I'm seldom checking it.
I see chapters are in, and with this and 30s jumps it's OK.

7 minutes ago, cipper said:

the problem is that every month you have to download the zip, copy it in a usb disk, connect the disk to the TV,  delete the emby app, install the emby app. Month after month, year after year.

It is definitely a reason!! If I have two samsung tizen TV in my house do I have to change them because of emby not boing able to land  in samsung europe store? Come on, you're not unbiased...

Come one, it's 5 minutes once per month, and there is no reason to update every month unless you have problems or some new features are released.

I am unbiased as I have o interest here, I'm just a user with 4 Samsungs and some other platforms. When I purchased Premium the USB install  was not a monthly option, just something passed for testing purposes.

If this is a deal breaker for you that's your option. It's just that I've seen so many times is so many places the "I'd pay if just...", like people are imagining they're putting pressure on the developers. They have their plate full with things they can actually do, and Samsung is not the friendlier partner you can think of.

2 hours ago, cipper said:

Totally agree.

And, it is at least every month, sometimes, the new version will be out before the end of the month and you have to install this version, as the devs are counting the 30 days always from releasing the last version, not once every month.

And, of course, if you have a family like me, after reinstalling the app you have to make all the app settings for every single user again.

Normally I would like to have the "remember user" setting disabled, but as it is so complicated to set (you have to enter manual login) I stopped setting this every time.

1 hour ago, deme74 said:

Come one, it's 5 minutes once per month, and there is no reason to update every month unless you have problems or some new features are released.

For every TV, yes, I have 2 TVs to do this, but it still is a pain in the ass as it is totally unnecessary.

And you have to do it every time, on one of my TVs the app now stopped working after the month. On the other TV, there is the nag requester to tell me, there would be a new version. But this requester does not open when starting the app, no, it waits some seconds and most time I have already started playing from next up and the requester is messing all things up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, serpi said:

And, of course, if you have a family like me, after reinstalling the app you have to make all the app settings for every single user again.

For every TV, yes, I have 2 TVs to do this, but it still is a pain in the ass as it is totally unnecessary.

You must be doing something wrong. For me it takes 30 seconds for each TV, it's done automatically and no settings are lost.

Download, copy and update 4 TVs iin max 10 minutes and only because I add the time needed to go from one TV to another.

You spent much more in here complaining about it 😉

52 minutes ago, deme74 said:

You must be doing something wrong. For me it takes 30 seconds for each TV, it's done automatically and no settings are lost.

Download, copy and update 4 TVs iin max 10 minutes and only because I add the time needed to go from one TV to another.

I cannot update, I have to uninstall and reinstall (just like cipper wrote).

And this means, go to the App Store on the TV, go to the settings in the upper right corner, show installed Apps, go to Emby, select Delete, plug in USB (you cannot do this earlier, it will not install), wait for the TV to find the App, confirm installation, unplug USB, confirm you unplugged USB, goto to the Emby App, select Show on Homescreen, move it to the right position.

And then, the app settings (for all users) are lost, this is the selected theme, showing backdrops, playing theme music (and maybe some more) and it would be the do not remember last user, but I gave up on this because it's not that fun to enter every time manually a username with the remote only to deaktivate that option (why the hell isn't that option in settings?!).

If you can do this in 30 seconds, you have to have super powers.

And I read here about a guy, who has his TV mounted on the wall and it's not so easy to reach the USB ports on the back.

So, don't tell anyone he's complaining too much, only because it's easier for you.

I wouldn't complain that much if I could simply update via USB (I would still complain, but it wouldn't be that bad).

Ciao, Alfred

• Like 1

Great that its that easy for you.

After doing my own two televisions i need to get on my bicycle and get to two family members (seperate houses) and do it there aswell because they arent able to do it themselves.
It's an incredible tedious installation method which errors out a bunch of the times, and doesn't remember login/preference details.
Also changing the language settings makes all the apps available for my country unavailable so that's not a solution either.

I bought lifetime a couple of months ago to get rid of the trial messages but i'm starting to get a bit frustrated with Emby because of this recent change.
The app itself is good, except for the subtitles obv, but i don't know if this ever will be fixed since it's been like 5 years waiting for a proper solution and all we get is a "we are working on it".

• Like 1

FrostByte
4 minutes ago, k0Lm. said:

Great that its that easy for you.

After doing my own two televisions i need to get on my bicycle and get to two family members (seperate houses) and do it there aswell because they arent able to do it themselves.
It's an incredible tedious installation method which errors out a bunch of the times, and doesn't remember login/preference details.
Also changing the language settings makes all the apps available for my country unavailable so that's not a solution either.

I bought lifetime a couple of months ago to get rid of the trial messages but i'm starting to get a bit frustrated with Emby because of this recent change.
The app itself is good, except for the subtitles obv, but i don't know if this ever will be fixed since it's been like 5 years waiting for a proper solution and all we get is a "we are working on it".

Did you try FULL APPS for the region?  The description on my TV says it gives access to all Tizen channels and apps.  So you shouldn't have to choose US or UK.  I can see a lot more apps on my TV with it set at FULL

31 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Did you try FULL APPS for the region?  The description on my TV says it gives access to all Tizen channels and apps.  So you shouldn't have to choose US or UK.  I can see a lot more apps on my TV with it set at FULL

it's simple: emby is not available in the store, and no long-term solutions are available. After 5 years I can only switch back to p**x, and stay there at least until I see this thread marked solved.

PeterAndersson

Sadly I have given up on this ever happening, and my guess is that the emby owners also have done so? As there hasn't been any updates on the progress for ages. At this point i wouldn't mind paying for the app a second time in the Samsung store.. (but there are also those that would not accept that as a solution)

But i don't think the emby team is too blame its samsung that is the problem here.. One thing is for sure I will do my best to avoid buying samsung products again.. 

Edited by PeterAndersson

11 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Did you try FULL APPS for the region?  The description on my TV says it gives access to all Tizen channels and apps.  So you shouldn't have to choose US or UK. 

Anyone actually succesfully got this working ? I just get a server connection error here in Australia. I've got my tv set to the UK region so I don't have to manually update Emby all the while - drove me nuts for far too long.

1 hour ago, PeterAndersson said:

Sadly I have given up on this ever happening, and my guess is that the emby owners also have done so? As there hasn't been any updates on the progress for ages. At this point i wouldn't mind paying for the app a second time in the Samsung store.. (but there are also those that would not accept that as a solution)

But i don't think the emby team is too blame its samsung that is the problem here.. One thing is for sure I will do my best to avoid buying samsung products again.. 

yes, Tizen really sucks for advanced users

9 hours ago, cipper said:

yes, Tizen really sucks for advanced users

I'm not sure if all the blame is with Tizen tbh, because the Plex app is available on Tizen, in any version.

23 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Thanks for the suggestion but Emby is not listed with that setting.

Edited by k0Lm.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FrostByte
19 hours ago, k0Lm. said:

I'm not sure if all the blame is with Tizen tbh, because the Plex app is available on Tizen, in any version.

Thanks for the suggestion but Emby is not listed with that setting.

Okay, thanks for checking.  

• 2 weeks later...
lejared
On 12/11/2021 at 3:19 PM, deme74 said:

No, he does not. It depends on the actual TV model. On my TV (2017 Tizen) I also have to uninstall the app first, then plug in the USB-Stick, install app, place the app in the home bar, enter password, apply settings - every Month. Not that much fun.

5 hours ago, lejared said:

No, he does not. It depends on the actual TV model. On my TV (2017 Tizen) I also have to uninstall the app first, then plug in the USB-Stick, install app, place the app in the home bar, enter password, apply settings - every Month. Not that much fun.

I see. I have a 2016, maybe it's Tizen version related. Mine stopped at 2.4.

FrostByte
26 minutes ago, deme74 said:

I see. I have a 2016, maybe it's Tizen version related. Mine stopped at 2.4.

Samsung is no longer taking updates for TVs older than 2017.  So even if someone lives in the US (or changed their app region to US) those with older TVs need to now use the USB method if they want to keep current.   Otherwise just stay at the last available store version

The store version does update over older versions and retain settings, the USB method almost always requires you to delete the older version before you can install.  Something to do with you can only run one developer app at a time, though it almost seems like a flaw that you can't upgrade the same app as you're installing. 

Edited by FrostByte

1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

Samsung is no longer taking updates for TVs older than 2017.  So even if someone lives in the US (or changed their app region to US) those with older TVs need to now use the USB method if they want to keep current.   Otherwise just stay at the last available store version

The store version does update over older versions and retain settings, the USB method almost always requires you to delete the older version before you can install. 

So i guess I'm lucky my version of Tizen is upgrading without problems. I'm having artifacts on some movies, but that's another problem.

• Like 1

FrostByte
4 minutes ago, deme74 said:

So i guess I'm lucky my version of Tizen is upgrading without problems. I'm having artifacts on some movies, but that's another problem.

Ya, if your firmware is current and you can still upgrade using USB consider yourself lucky.  Kind of a silly decision on Samsung's part to change that. 

I haven't noticed any artifacts myself, but maybe they can take a look if you decide to create a thread.

16 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Ya, if your firmware is current and you can still upgrade using USB consider yourself lucky.  Kind of a silly decision on Samsung's part to change that. 

I haven't noticed any artifacts myself, but maybe they can take a look if you decide to create a thread.

I did. Sent the logs, I'm waiting for some feedback from Luke.

• Like 1

gabricar

Any updates on this? I also have some difficult accessing the back of my TV. I'm using Plex for now but I really would like to go back to emby.

Thx guys

I really dont get it 🤔, what is the problem pushing the app to a appstore in Europe/Switzerland? This USB Installation is so annoying and crappy. Constantly delete everything, then invalid package errors and keep tinkering with it forever.

That is an imposition for users...

The icon also looks terrible and does not adjust to the correct size.

PXL_20220104_223443579.MP.jpg