Status of Tizen

KRA

JeremyG

So I have a Samsung J5200 which runs Tizen.   I cannot get the Emby App to show up.   Search gives nothing, and I scrolled through the whole list of "Videos" app category 3 times and I don't see it.   Is there something else I have to do?

FrostByte

So I have a Samsung J5200 which runs Tizen.   I cannot get the Emby App to show up.   Search gives nothing, and I scrolled through the whole list of "Videos" app category 3 times and I don't see it.   Is there something else I have to do?

Are you sure it runs Tizen?  Website says other. 

http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/full-hd-tvs/led-j5200-series-smart-tv-40-class-40-diag-un40j5200afxza/

Not all J series are Tizen according to the chart

https://www.samsungdforum.com/Tizen/GetSpecData/

Edited by FrostByte

Entry level sets and Tizen bluray players are currently excluded, in case that's what it is. We have to request separate testing for those, and we will, but since the developer portal only lets us do one thing at a time, it has to wait it's turn in line.

FrostByte

Of course Samsung has no BD players running Tizen yet :)  (see chart from Samsung D's page)  I believe SamES just bought their newest top of the line BD player the K8500 and said he loaded the old Orsay app on it.   Unless they have something new not on their site yet or some firmware update changed all that

JeremyG

Ok that sucks I guess.   I was searching last night and and found several references to my model running Tizen.   But that chart from Samsung doesn't list the J5200 at all.   This is one of the sites I saw that seems to imply it does run Tizen:  http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/smart

Luke, if indeed it's a matter of being "entry level" and you eventually get it tested, that would be awesome!  (I could finally remove my Emby server from my bedroom!)

Edited by JeremyG

FrostByte

Ya, you could be right.  I found some non-Samsung websites that say it does and others that say it doesn't.   I'll see if I can find an updated official chart.

Do you know how to go into developer mode on your TV?  Mine tells me which OS I'm running there. 

Hopefully, it will work though when Samsung approves the app for the entry level Tizen TVs

https://www.samsungdforum.com/SamsungDForum/ForumView/3ad8bd6023af18a7?forumID=f4044444efbb98e7

Edited by FrostByte

SamES

Of course Samsung has no BD players running Tizen yet :)  (see chart from Samsung D's page)  I believe SamES just bought their newest top of the line BD player the K8500 and said he loaded the old Orsay app on it.   Unless they have something new not on their site yet or some firmware update changed all that

Yes, K8500 is still Orsay and runs the standard SmartTV Version of the app.  There are some minor cosmetic issues such as small fonts and semi-transparent fonts in some of the item details/synopsis (but not all which is a bit weird).  There aren't any navigation issues and playback works fine.   Installing and syncing/updating has not been a problem.   Just be aware that this player only works on a 4K TV.

Edited by SamES
  • Like 1

As soon as the worldwide release is out we have an update ready to go that will direct play just about everything you can throw at it. Unfortunately we can only do one thing at a time in the developer portal so we have to wait for the current requested to complete before we can submit the new version.

• Like 2

drschlaumeier

Samsung is really slow in releasing SW to the smarthub :-(

You will still have separate releases for US & WW ? ... I mean will the new version you mentioned above will be WW already ?

BTW: I tried to change my country to US and download Emby. Interestingly, I see emby in smarthub but no success to download... so I need to wait ...

Edited by drschlaumeier

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just for an update, we have run into some additional things we have to resolve before we can release worldwide.

However, the really nice update I've been mentioning is now rolling out in the US for 2016 models. If you're in that bucket, keep an eye out for version 1.0.14+. It will now direct play pretty much anything you throw at it so I think you're going to really like that.

• Like 2

Fully agree drschlaumeier...

I'm an emby lifetime supporter and have received no support to my requests - found emby products on tizen, asustor and android to be buggy at best and completely unusable most of the time...  and, frankly, wich I could get my support money back given the poor show the Emby team have been capable of lately.

I will note that for several official replies to this thread the fault of the delayed releases (US and WorldWide) was claimed to be with Samsung's terrible platform and bureaucracy...   now - it is emby 'running into additional things'.    I must say I trust Samsung far more at this point and have lost ALL confidence in emby!

• Like 1

Fully agree drschlaumeier...

I'm an emby lifetime supporter and have received no support to my requests - found emby products on tizen, asustor and android to be buggy at best and completely unusable most of the time...  and, frankly, wich I could get my support money back given the poor show the Emby team have been capable of lately.

I will note that for several official replies to this thread the fault of the delayed releases (US and WorldWide) was claimed to be with Samsung's terrible platform and bureaucracy...   now - it is emby 'running into additional things'.    I must say I trust Samsung far more at this point and have lost ALL confidence in emby!

You can choose to believe us or not but these issues have all been with the store process.

The new release Luke was talking about with better playback for US 2016 models has been published by the store this morning.

• Like 2

CBers

The new release Luke was talking about with better playback for US 2016 models has been published by the store this morning.

What are these "additional things" that is the reason it's not available Worldwide yet please ??

Will older, non-US models (J series) get an update once these "additional things" are sorted out ??

Just asking for clarification.

What are these "additional things" that is the reason it's not available Worldwide yet please ??

Bureaucratic red tape associated with Samsung.

• Like 2

theantioch

I have a 2015 model "J" Series Samsung TV Any idea when the update will be available for 2015 models?

Edit: re-read the update post.

Edited by theantioch

I have a 2015 model "J" Series Samsung TV (I'm in the US) and I still haven't seen the update published to the store. Any idea on why the delay is so long?

Samsung found one issue with 2015 models so that's why you don't have it. We will be resubmitting any day now.

We've submitted the update. Hopefully it will get through quickly. It actually improves direct play even more by moving more of the audio and subtitle switching from the server to directly in the app, so it's a very nice update.

• Like 2

nice - does this mean worldwide has been released now as said the update was going to be after worldwide release? it's just i can't see it in the store..