Status of Tizen

KRA

Scratch the above, that was wrong. I'm pretty sure we can upload different packages for different models so they wouldn't need to merge.

• Like 1

Della Dog

Just tried the app on a 2015 HU8550 UHD. Emby loads, navigates and looks great, except nothing plays. Select play & you get a spinner then black screen. Exit takes you back to Emby. Tried many videos, none worked. Everything should direct play, the PC is connected directly to the TV via HDMI and on same local network.

Edited by Della Dog

Just tried the app on a 2015 HU8550 UHD. Emby loads, navigates and looks great, except nothing plays. Select play & you get a spinner then black screen. Exit takes you back to Emby. Tried many videos, none worked. Everything should direct play, the PC is connected directly to the TV via HDMI and on same local network.

Can you provide the usual info for playback issues?

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Specifically media info from the web app + server log + transcoding log if there was one. Thanks!

Are you sure you have a 2015 Tizen TV?  Your model is an H-series which are 2014 models

H=2014

J= 2015

K=2016

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/skp/faq/1052003

Well if he got it from the store then he has a model that Samsung has approved the app for. I can vouch that they have tested it very heavily, playback and everything.

One thing to keep in mind too, the release version is still stuck on 1.0.8. 1.0.11 has been approved but is still in a waiting state for them to make it available in the store. But presumably soon you'll have an update.

Della Dog

Yes, it's H series 2014. With 2015 Samsung SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit which makes it essentially a 2015 model. Reading logs now, no transcode logs.

Edited by Della Dog
  • Like 1

Well this is very unexpected, and a nice surprise to be honest. I'm sure we can work out the playback issue and then I can request 2014 models to be tested by Samsung. But if you can provide the server log that might help me determine how far it got before failing.

FrostByte

Well, it's not the 2014 models that are Tizen it's the Evokits which probably need to be tested

That evokit also works with the upper end models for 2013 ie. F9000

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Della Dog

Well this is very unexpected, and a nice surprise to be honest. I'm sure we can work out the playback issue and then I can request 2014 models to be tested by Samsung. But if you can provide the server log that might help me determine how far it got before failing.

server-63607825738.txt

Are you sure it's not playing? Because the app is reporting playback progress to the server.

Della Dog

It may be reporting, but it sure ain't playing - its a black screen w/ no sound. I will further test tomorrow. The logs may also show several videos that were played earlier using Theater and MPC-BE external player. but the Tizen attempts were a no go. (3-4 tries)

As a test, can you try letting the black screen sit there for the duration of the video? See if it returns to the detail screen x minutes later, where x is duration of the video.

FrostByte

so, er, how do you know if you have tizen?

Samsung has put Tizen on most of their TVs since 2015 (J and K model years) except a few entry level sets.  If your TV was made from 2012 - 2014 then you have the older Orsay OS, unless you bought a newer model evolution kit which supports Tizen of course and only certain TVs support those.  All Samsung BD and HTS players are still running Orsay.

https://www.samsungdforum.com/Tizen/GetSpecData/

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Samsung has put Tizen on most of their TVs since 2015 (J and K model years) except a few entry level sets. If your TV was made from 2012 - 2014 then you have the older Orsay OS, unless you bought a newer model evolution kit which supports Tizen of course and only certain TVs support those. All Samsung BD and HTS players are still running Orsay.

https://www.samsungdforum.com/Tizen/GetSpecData/

Yeah I had seen all that but was looking for something a bit more definitive. Especially as the guy above seems to have it installed on a 2014 model. Is there a way of knowing from actually looking at your TV?

FrostByte

Yeah I had seen all that but was looking for something a bit more definitive. Especially as the guy above seems to have it installed on a 2014 model. Is there a way of knowing from actually looking at your TV?

Then you probably also saw that he later said he has an evolution kit which he didn't mention in his first post which is why he is running Tizen on his 2014 TV.  Did you later buy an evolution kit and install it?  If so, the users manual will tell you if it's Tizen

Every TV is different, but you can also

1. Look at the Emby server logs.  My 2013 Samsung now says it's a 2014 in the logs after installing my evolution kit

2. Look at the Hub, the Tizen hub is different than the Orsay SmartTV hub.

3.  Do you see the Emby app in the Samsung store and live in the US?  If you do then you're probably running Tizen and why the guy above can see the app in the store.  If not, good chance you are running Orsay still

4.  On my TV I can put it in developer mode and see all the specifics of the OS, run diagnostics, etc.  There is a certain sequence of keys you need to press to get to these hidden menus so it may not be in the manual.  You might be able to see it in the options also on some TVs, if not then look at the firmware version and check the Samsung site to verify

5.  Install the Orsay app, if it loads then you're running Orsay 

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

If you really want to look and see all the information about your TV then to get to the service menu just type the below.  This works for most Samsung TVs.  Look around and you can see what OS you're running.  Warning there are some menus to change settings that you can't get to elsewhere, DO NOT change anything you're not sure of :)

1. Turn the TV Off.
2. With the remote control press Mute, 1, 8, 2, Power. It takes a few seconds and then the SM will appear

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

i seem to be in the excellent position of being too new for an evolution kit but too old still for tizen!

nevermind, this was only for testing purposes. i need my picture to be provided to my tv by hdmi, not internally

i need my picture to be provided to my tv by hdmi, not internally

What do you mean by that?

Spaceboy

What do you mean by that?

nothing relevant to emby. i have a home built backlight that changes with the on screen picture, but it relies on receiving and passing through hdmi

moonloop

"Just tried the app on a 2015 HU8550 UHD. Emby loads, navigates and looks great, except nothing plays. Select play & you get a spinner then black screen. Exit takes you back to Emby. Tried many videos, none worked."

Exact same issue for me on a UN55JS8500.

Edited by moonloop

Thanks for the report. There is an update that is already approved that hopefully Samsung will release tomorrow. I'm not sure it will resolve the issue because there weren't too many playback changes, but nonetheless please report back once you have the 1.0.11 update. Thanks.