PLAYz emby for LG Smart TVs

simonjhogan
Go to solution Solved by ellnic,

cmarques

My UI customizations, do not changes it essence, it is just CSS tweaks and navigation changes (one line in each .js file I have attached the previous post), it just need to fix navigation on "All TV" and "All Music" pages to be used with standard remote.

I have fix it with just one change.

file   /scripts/models/collection.summary.js

196  dom.dispatchCustonEvent(document, "collectionItemsLoaded");
197  //focus("#userViews a:first-child");
198  focus(".latest-item");  //change focus to first title, by cmarques 
Edited by cmarques

kwilcox

I loaded your IPK @cmarques! Your smaller item tiles really do bring out your brightened background poster.  Ideally, that poster needs to change to reflect the highlighted tile.  That would be pretty cool given a high bandwidth connection to emby server otherwise the load delay could be distracting.  Probably need to cache the next poster to do this right which could take a bit of work.

Your floating menu is interesting too.  Not sure if I'm a fan or not since my scrolling fix continues to assume that the menu is simply another tile area that can be reached with the left/right scroll buttons on a standard remote (try scrolling right from the far right tile to see what happens).  Not as elegant in appearance but wins from an intuitive perspective.  With a floating menu above the tile layer, there's a 3D effect that implies some sort of "up" button press to reach it from the tile layer below. How to define/code this for standard remotes I wonder so it is every bit as intuitive?  I definitely like the more subtle highlight though.

I would hold these cool appearance mods as eye candy for the next release since they should also come with some additional coding features. ;)

01490068001649-vi.jpg

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

Interestingly, you can see from the above why I'm keen to add menu customization in Settings.  I'm getting content duplication in the tile area currently given the current hardcoding....

cmarques
Hi man,

Let me comment in parts...

yeah, the backdrops has a kind of a hardcoded random animation that changes the image in a time interval, if you could add this tweak it would be nice, and even more if the mouseover effect also have been included, acting at same way.

About the floating Menu, you are right, I can reproduce what you said by just using the keys of my magic remote, simulating a standard remote.

I did not notice this behavior before because I just use the scroll key of the remote.

But we can revert back the floating menu to the standard with minor changes on the CSS, I can do it.

And finally, I also see these duplicated content if add more stuff on emby server's categories..., this is something we need to take a look.

But in overall the app is very functional at this stage, except to one thing, the Music library.

As your image shows you did not have Music on yor emby server, for me the collection are being mounted wrong, and I can't play music at all.

Edited by cmarques

cmarques
- reverted back the floating category menus to standard UI (line 445)
- also have removed the gradient background, do not make sense without floating menu (line 455)

* ipk package attached *
.user-views {
	display: inline-block;
	position: absolute; /* customization by cmarques :: no floating category menus ::*/
	left: 0;
	width: 250px;
	height: 1080px;
	/* margin-right: 5px; */
	overflow: hidden;
	white-space: nowrap;
	vertical-align: top;
	margin-top: -270px;
	z-index: 2;
	/*background: linear-gradient(to left, rgba(10,10,0,0), rgba(10,10,0,0.8), rgba(10,10,0,1));/* customization by cmarques */
}

tests done in emulator, working great.

5787f634138ba_nofloatingmenus.png

5787f6675e65c_nofloatingmenus2.png

theparadigmgrid.emby.playz_0.0.1_all.zip

Edited by cmarques

kwilcox

excellent!  I'll have a look and see if I can incorporate.  Also pushing the following fixes

• episode image is chopped off.  Fix replaces series image with episode
  • early fix for the (multiple) collection search bugs.  Now auto-scrolls the tiles as you scroll through the letters.  Error dialog thrown if no match on letter.  This is an early fix... still working on something more elegant.   Some bugs remain...

I also need something a bit better than a dull red-bordered box for warning popups from a graphical perspective...

Capture3-vi.png

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

I just pushed a major and I do mean major update.  I've gotten rid of those pesky play buttons on screens where they don't do anything.  I'm also starting to incorporate some of cmarques' styling changes.  Screenshots coming...

Edited by kwilcox

Will you be implementing a similar "List View" interface options like Emby Classic? Something like the below

5743475374228_unset1.jpg

kwilcox

That's not planned for the initial release but it will include a similar feature called indexed scroll that will be a part of the "All Items" view.  Its sort of hard to describe how indexed scroll works, but it has many of the same characteristics as list view. Essentially, as you pan left or right through the index, the tiles above it dynamically scroll to bring items whose title begins with the current highlighted letter into view,  Pressing the up key positions you on the tile column containing the first corresponding item.  Its actually much easier to use than it is to describe....

Sounds good. Just comin frm experience that a pure tiles approach could be sub optimal with a huge media library.

cmarques

Hi @@kwilcox, that is really pretty nice, removing that play button on that pages let the UI more clean, and we can regain a dead space  ;)

If we can change the button on movie details page, putting it inside the movie cover would bo very nice also.

I'll grab the project from github to do tests.

kwilcox

Sounds good. Just comin frm experience that a pure tiles approach could be sub optimal with a huge media library.

Good point.  When we release, I'd really like to hear your thoughts after testing it out.  I just wish that LG had a public beta program like Apple's testflight app...

kwilcox

Improved Indexed Search pushed.  No more "item beginning with that letter cannot be found" message.  Instead, focus is passed to the closest matching tile.  collection.js is pretty much sorted out now and I believe I'm ready to take on settings. 

kwilcox

Is anybody playing with this application on a WebOS 3.0 TV?  I need to know if you have to enter server/user data every time you launch screenplay.  I'm noticing that the emulator exhibits this behavior.  Screenplay uses javascript localstorage to store objects locally and according to the LG website, these should be persistent until the app is removed or updated on WebOS 2.0 and 3.0.

It all works fine on WebOS 2.0 (both emulator and my TV)

So, bug in the emulator, bug in the code (for the life of me I can't find it), or bug in WebOS 3.0 (highly unlikely)?

kwilcox

Interesting.  Try this:

close emulator

launch emulator

launch screenplay by pressing the home button on the emulator remote then clicking on the screenplay icon.  

Does it ask for a Server IP or take you directly to the home screen?

cmarques

directly to home screen.

I also remove the app, close emulator, open emulator, install app again. On first time I put the server address, navigate a bit, then close emulator, open again, and the app goes directly to home page.

kwilcox

Thanks!  I wonder why mine is acting this way?  Maybe you have a newer version of the WebOS 3.0.0 emulator?  My icon says "WebOS TV Emulator v3.0.0".  Is your version the same?

cmarques

Thanks!  I wonder why mine is acting this way?  Maybe you have a newer version of the WebOS 3.0.0 emulator?  My icon says "WebOS TV Emulator v3.0.0".  Is your version the same?

Yes, mine is the same.

kwilcox

Working on Settings.  Here's the base layout I'm considering:

Capture9-vi.jpg

Client settings would contain:

• left button backskip (seconds)
  • right button skip (seconds)
  • emby media folders to include
  • Green/Red/Yellow/Blue button functions:
    • reset screenplay
    • toggle video controls dialog during playback

Server settings would contain:

• maximum stream bitrate
  • toggle subtitles

Thoughts?  Any additions to the above categories?  Categories make sense to you?

Edited by kwilcox

cmarques
Hi man, in server settings you could add also a toggle audio, but I think audio and subtittles would be a setting to change in realtime, when the movie is already playing (like in Plex).

Maybe you can put in settings a toggle to choose a prefered audio/subtittles, thus the movie already starts with this preferences.

I think you can go more or less with what Emby web client has in its user settings, there are not much setup inside every item...

5792571f24369_settings_emby.png