PLAYz emby for LG Smart TVs

simonjhogan
Go to solution Solved by ellnic,

anderbytes

@@cmarques.  I've incorporated your splash screen and it's awesome!  It'll go out with the next push.

Waiting anxiously  :-)

cmarques
Hi guys, 
nice to see the things is going well, so let me share two things that I saw these last days, because it (not directly) has to do with our project.

1- last weekend I got a webos update on my TV, the version now is 4.05.05 but it still webos 2.22.xxx, there are no visual changes, of course, but certainly things changed under the hood, the most important for us is that now the web browser is capable to open the oficial emby theather web client, but wait, it runs in a way very strange, it's almost unusable because it runs very very very very slow.... so our app even unfinished is light-years ahead.

2- looking at the LG app store, i found an official Plex app (It should have been released these last days), the app is free and has a premium version, but the free app is very fast, attractive design, full of settings including UI look setup.

The UI itself is what it has to do with us, the look is almost the same of our app (you can check it on the Lg apps portal, searching by Plex).
And last, I can't find the app PlayZ anymore on the store... Does Simon sold his app to Plex Inc??

So, I think we should think in do some changes to our project in order to not being accused of ilegal copy.

I propose something like this:

:: change the menu to a horizontal version instead of a collum as the original project is now.
To be honest I'm having some dificult to do it by myself without breaks other pages, maybe we have to change the object from a child div class to a single div, don't know...
The final goal is something like the menu bar of Kodi app, that is too elegant indeed... with menu itens centralized and horizontal scrollable.

577411f29eef3_Capturar.png

:: I also would like to implement an mouseover effect that shows the div that has the movie tittle, like happens when you select the content with the standard remote; this would be nice to people that has the magic remote control and gives to the app a differential... but unfortunatelly I'm also facing difficult to achieve it.

57741522166f5_Capturar_2.png

I know the post got a bit big, but please comment.

kwilcox

Thanks for the info @cmarques!

Our app is based on playz-emby open source code so I don't think there's a problem using it as is.  If anything, its Plex who would be in violation because they would be copyrighting a UI already expressed by open-source code.  Think android here.  We are essentially like a telco who is adding functionality to an open-source base.  Perhaps Simon could comment if he is still following this thread?

I like the mouse over effect but the app won't be validated for publishing unless there's also a way to perform the same function with a standard remote.

cmarques
Hi @@kwilcox, looking by this point of view, I think you right.

about the mouseover, the effect is already present for standard remote, we just need implement it and it will work just to who have a magic remote.

nothing will change to the standard remote's functionality that already exists.

and about the UI changes? It not pleased you, right?

Darkjeje

Hello,

I have just bought my TV LG 40LF630V and I saw that a lot of exchange concerning an Emby application for WebOS 2.0.
I do not speak English VERY well and I understood that there were several applications for WebOS 2.0 and I am a little lost.

With my TV LG which application may I use ?
Is it one stupid man who needs help ?

Thank you for your help !!!

Jérem

anderbytes

Hello,

I have just bought my TV LG 40LF630V and I saw that a lot of exchange concerning an Emby application for WebOS 2.0.

I do not speak English VERY well and I understood that there were several applications for WebOS 2.0 and I am a little lost.

With my TV LG which application may I use ?

Is it one stupid man who needs help ?

Thank you for your help !!!

Jérem

Understand the difference:

EMBY TV

Access: https://tv.emby.media/

Developer: Official Emby Dev Team

It's a version that only needs a Webbrowser to Run, even the one on your PC or notebook. It aims to be the main client for TV's in the future

PLAYZ FOR EMBY (this thread)

Access: Manually installing it from https://github.com/sleuth255/playz-emby into your LG TV via Developer Mode (has tutorial somewhere)

Developer: Was Simon, now it's @@kwilcox

That app uses the official LG WebOS 1.0, 2.0 or superior to run, and cannot be executed outside WebOS

Today, those two options are the only promising softwares that exist for WebOS.

Edited by anderbytes

Darkjeje

Thank you Anderbytes for your detailed explanations !!!

I am going to test it.

Jérem

anderbytes

Thank you Anderbytes for your detailed explanations !!!

I am going to test it.

Jérem

If you are talking about the one that kwilcox made, I'd suggest you to wait because there's a new version coming with some good stuff

kwilcox

Hi @@kwilcox, looking by this point of view, I think you right.

about the mouseover, the effect is already present for standard remote, we just need implement it and it will work just to who have a magic remote.
nothing will change to the standard remote's functionality that already exists.

and about the UI changes? It not pleased you, right?

Did you accomplish the UI changes using CSS only?  I'm trying to drive towards an official release to the app store so not into major coding changes.  This would be a cool change for the next major release however.

Everybody: I"m working on a fix for the scrolling issue now (highlighted item can sometimes be mostly off the screen).  I've figured out how to recognize the condition but haven't yet hit on a successful way to scroll the item into the viewport.  I'm very close however.  Just need one more rainy day to work on it :)

cmarques
Hi guys!
@@kwilcox, as you did not liked the last changes, I decide to forget everything and start working on the basic UI as it is.
I did some visual changes on the UI but I did not changed its standard, I just tweak it a bit.

Hope you like this time, I personally like it a lot!

-I have changed the way the menus works, now the menu bar is fixed and the rest of the objects scroll under it.
57810652adc88_main_2.png

-I also have changed the first object focused, now it is the first title, and thus I achieve  the goal to have the title name visible on each page (almost all, I need help to fix two pages)
57810606dc505_main.png

-movies page and series page
57811bf372c95_moviedetails.png

57811c2f747dc_series.png

57811c7b50394_standardremote.png

-here a I need help, I can't set the first focus on the first title, and focus did not is on the menu item, perhaps, for this page and also on Music pages, this propertyis being inherited incorrectly
57811de42a579_seriesmainpagenotfocus.png
 see that the title label is from the previous page, and none of objects are focused. 
This avoid the standard remote to works on this page

I attached all the files I changed, also an ipk package, so the tests would be too easy.
I tryed to comment every change, but on the application.css file perhaps I forgot some of it, you can compare the files easily with the notepad++ application.

Waiting for comments
Cheers

UI_tweaks.zip

theparadigmgrid.emby.playz_0.0.1_all.zip

kwilcox

Scrolling fix pushed.  That was a pita but the improvement is waaaay worth it imho....  This version also includes @cmarques' excellent splash screen modifications.  I'll take a look at what you posted above btw, but I kind of like the green categories buttons.  With scrolling now working correctly, the interface just feels a lot smoother.  Note:  I'll add animation itnf to give a smoother scrolling effect.

Edited by kwilcox

simonjhogan

Looks good horizontal scrolling works best in my opinion. Don't worry about the PLEX guys they can't claim the UI lol

You need to focus on new functions and capability not UI - focus on play lists, slide shows, media functions, etc. This is what I just didn't have time for. The base is all there it just needs to be expanded.

Dude you are doing a good job, well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

anderbytes

Looks good horizontal scrolling works best in my opinion. Don't worry about the PLEX guys they can't claim the UI lol

You need to focus on new functions and capability not UI - focus on play lists, slide shows, media functions, etc. This is what I just didn't have time for. The base is all there it just needs to be expanded.

Dude you are doing a good job, well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon is correct.

You have to spend some time on features. UI is important... but not everything.

Very good job! Will do more testing this week.

kwilcox

Concur fully.  UI changes after we release v1.0.  Improved eye candy is always the first thing people look forward to for the next release. :) From a features perspective, I'm going to work on a settings capability that allows you to define what emby collections/folders to use and how to name them.  Currently, this is hardcoded.  I've also got some navigational work to complete.

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

Catalog home screen navigational fix pushed: you can now scroll back to the buttons.  This little fix actually has a huge impact on the home catalog screen which was my biggest issue with the UI.  One more fix to put in now....

Edited by kwilcox

Really lookin forward to it being on the LG Apps store. With the quick progress currently i believe it'll be sooner than later. 

anderbytes

Really lookin forward to it being on the LG Apps store. With the quick progress currently i believe it'll be sooner than later.

Yeah me too. But they really have to add some critical features and fix some stuff. My list before is a good start, as we agreed.

Launching v1 like it is now will probably do more harm than good.

In other hand, the visual part is astounding! Congratulations!

kwilcox

I've been debating that myself.  Once the app is LG store compliant, there are many advantages to releasing it. Since its a free app, I don't really care about popularity; getting something into the hands of the larger LG population to tide them over prior to the offical Emby release was always my priority.  And to be quite truthful, this app has pretty good functionality for what I use emby for already.

I'm thinking I'm going to fix the "All Items" search (can't scroll up from the alphabet if there's not an item that begins with the highlighted letter), fix the item display when an episode in a series is selected for playback (series image has chopped episode image below it), then add emby folder mapping and subtitle preferences to the settings.  After that, I'll seriously consider submitting it for LQ QA testing as a WebOS 2.0/3.0 app.

• Like 1

anderbytes

I've been debating that myself.  Once the app is LG store compliant, there are many advantages to releasing it. Since its a free app, I don't really care about popularity; getting something into the hands of the larger LG population to tide them over prior to the offical Emby release was always my priority.  And to be quite truthful, this app has pretty good functionality for what I use emby for already.

I'm thinking I'm going to fix the "All Items" search (can't scroll up from the alphabet if there's not an item that begins with the highlighted letter), fix the item display when an episode in a series is selected for playback (series image has chopped episode image below it), then add emby folder mapping and subtitle preferences to the settings.  After that, I'll seriously consider submitting it for LQ QA testing as a WebOS 2.0/3.0 app.

If those are fixed, and subtitles actually work, I guess you can call it  v1 , publish at LG and keep improving it... ;)

Edited by anderbytes

cmarques

Hi guys,

I agree with you @@kwilcox, since there are a new Android app named Emby Mobile to be officially released soon (I have installed it yesterday), I think an official webos app should be release soon also.

Our app is functional to watch movies and series (what everybody wants)..., almost all my movie library is dual audio, I think everybody has his library on same way, so the subtitle does not a priority but a new feature to be added on the frequent updates we'll made.

My UI customizations, do not changes it essence, it is just CSS tweaks and navigation changes (one line in each .js file I have attached the previous post), it just need to fix navigation on "All TV" and "All Music" pages to be used with standard remote.

don't know if LG accept an app with a seal of BETA, if yes we could publish the first release as beta

anderbytes

So you assume everybody's media is Dual audio, and states that subtitles are overrated?

God...

Think about users outside US that will look the App in LG Store for the first time... then they'll install it... test aand... "Well, it had potential!"

Edited by anderbytes

cmarques
I said that it is not a priority for the first release, please do not misunderstand me.

And yes, I think much people does downloads its library from web, and the files available has at least dual audio track.

If you think how many people has not the chance to watch his movies using an Emby app because his TV do not has an official app or because the TV web browser do not suport Emby web client, I think this is already reasons enough to @@kwilcox release his app.

We just need to let clear that the app has few features compared to the official, but that the features will come.

sorry ander, i think we do not think in same way, I respect your opinion but you want features, i just want to watch my movies through my emby server.

I want to see this app being born, and then grow...

Edited by cmarques
  • Like 1

anderbytes

I only think that subtitles are very important, just that.

Its kind of a Basic stuff. My opinion, actually.

Well, its up to kwilcox to decide hehe

Edited by anderbytes