PLAYz emby for LG Smart TVs

simonjhogan
Go to solution Solved by ellnic,

kwilcox

For those looking forward to the free app store version (myself included; I'm getting really sick of dev mode on my 55EF9500 but don't want to use my media PC any more), here's a quick post on timeline/logistics.  

Once I have settings done, I'll add the splash screen acknowledgment to Simon for not only putting this together but for also releasing it to the public domain and giving me a chance to play with it (thanks Simon!).  I'll also add an easter-egg (somewhere) acknowledging everybody who helped out.  Maybe its already done....  :ph34r:

Then, I'l begin the app acceptance process with LG.  At that time, I will also :

• start a new official Screenplay thread here for discussion/bug/enhancement requests
  • create a new GitHub repository for the screenplay app itself
Edited by kwilcox

• 2 weeks later...
kwilcox

Finally making some progress.  Using the DOM to do form based input had a real steep learning curve.  Still need to do navigation, change some descriptions etc.  but I think I have the basics down finally.

Capture2-vi.jpg

mcgyver83

Hi, I'm using xPlay on an LG 43LF590v, I installed it just copying files on usb and attach it.
Form what I red in this thread here I have to compile myself the app.
Is it possibile to install it in an easy way?

kwilcox

Lot's of rain falling here in northern VT where I'm vacationing with family btw and I'm working on settings UI design so it seems natural to use with a non-magic remote.

kwilcox

Hi, I'm using xPlay on an LG 43LF590v, I installed it just copying files on usb and attach it.

Form what I red in this thread here I have to compile myself the app.

Is it possibile to install it in an easy way?

Sorry, but I haven't found an easier way.  You need developer mode to run a non-signed app on an LG TV.

mcgyver83

Sorry, but I haven't found an easier way.  You need developer mode to run a non-signed app on an LG TV.

What about the xPlay Plex way? I downloaded a zip, uncompressed it on a usb and plugged in the tv and it appeared.

kwilcox

Interesting.  Can you point me to a link so I can download that zip file?  I'm guessing its a signed app but its worth taking a look.  Is your TV running WebOS 2.0 or 3.0?

Edited by kwilcox

cmarques

indeed interesting, because the LG 43LF590v is supposed to be a WebOS 2.0 tv, and this install method is supposed to work only for WebOS 1.0 tvs

EmbyLover

Yes please!  Are you finding that you have to sign into the server every time you start the app?

Alright.

No, that didn't happen with me, it happened once because I clicked on the settings button on top , but I just restarted the app and I was able to go directly to the home page without signing in...

the app disappeared after 3 days or so from my tv , and i'm trying to install it again but keep getting an error : " ERR! ares-install: Error: Please check the device IP address or port"

Is there a way or a hack to make it permanent , I know LG made it that way....but why? with android TVs you can install your personal apps and test them with no problem...

Anyway : what I experienced so far:

- There were no playback controls ..."15 sec forward 5 sec back" or skip to next video or previous one, they don't work on the remote too, (up, down arrows should be for jump forward or back 10 min or so , left and right arrows for skipping the previously mentioned short amounts of time)

- Also the controls were too small , and it happened with me once with a 1920x1080 movie, I couldn't see any controls.

- Most important issue I saw is the library list on the homepage only allows 6 libraries ..I had many libraries but only the first 6 alphabetically ordered names of libraries appeared.

- No subtitles, no subtitle button to switch languages in case of multi-subs ...

- No audio change control : in case of a movies with multiple audio languages

- The "Back" button on the LG magic remote didn't work for me all the time ,especially when the video is playing ,sometimes I had to close all the app to be able to get back to the library video list . Also the "Back" button doesn't work when you go to other pages like settings or so.

- No Channels.  (plugins)

- Anything else was good , but I think there has to be a link to browse all the seasons included in a tv show library .

Didn't test that good because I didn't have time and  lost the app because of LG policy of disappearing apps -_- .

I hope I was of good use...If I'm able to get the app working again I'd report more issues .cheers

Edited by EmbyLover

mcgyver83

Interesting.  Can you point me to a link so I can download that zip file?  I'm guessing its a signed app but its worth taking a look.  Is your TV running WebOS 2.0 or 3.0?

What about the xPlay Plex way? I downloaded a zip, uncompressed it on a usb and plugged in the tv and it appeared.

Here there is a Plex client but probably is signed 

http://playz.sithari.com.au/files/test-help.html

I have the 43LF590v and in the info page on the tv I see webOs 2.0 but somewhere I red that this tv has the "Lite" webOs2.0... but I didn't find more info

kwilcox

@@EmbyLover  Thanks for the feedback!

forward and backskip are the left and right arrow buttons on your remote.  If yours is a magic remote then activating the mouse pointer should also bring up the player controls dialog.  Otherwise you can press the green button to toggle on/off.  Player controls with a standard remote aren't too useful other than to show how much time remains.  All other control functions are mirrored by hard stop pause and play buttons.  

I have also noticed the issue with back.  Sometimes you need to press it twice.  I'll get that fixed.

I've also encountered your IP device error.  I've given my TV a static IP address and I disable developer mode then re-enable (will require a TV reboot) to solve it.  Note that you need to engage the Key Management server as well when you do this.

Maybe we'll uncover a way to make this app run off USB but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

Status update: the initial settings logic is complete and I'm doing initial testing using the emulator.  I'll push this update next Wednesday when I'm back in town and have some time to test it on my TV.  The release won't have all of the settings that you folks have requested, but I'm actually more interested in your impressions of the UI at this point in time.

EmbyLover

Alright, I got it working again....

When I choose a tv show library and then all of that tv show, I don't get the seasons to appear correctly can't see their names and sometimes can't navigate between the seasons easily, I hope also if you can provide a list view for seasons & episodes , also a resume playing or continue watching button to resume from the last episode/moment ,and number of episodes on the season's poster/ thumbnail.
For movies ,what's missing is  a list view as well, also sort and filter (genres, date of release, rating). navigation between movies is good ,thumbnails and posters are appearing correctly , good job. but no names of movies in text (in case of "no poster") , also no indication of watched status .
What things you need me to test more ?

EmbyLover

Status update: the initial settings logic is complete and I'm doing initial testing using the emulator.  I'll push this update next Wednesday when I'm back in town and have some time to test it on my TV.  The release won't have all of the settings that you folks have requested, but I'm actually more interested in your impressions of the UI at this point in time.

UI is fine , needs some improvements though, home screen IMHO should have "on deck" section. you have recently played movies/tv shows on the library home page which is good. filter/sort is a must , some libraries have hundreds of movies or so , who would remember a movie title ;)  ..I wouldn't request tags (filter movies by actors, directors, ..etc) lol. ..oh before I forget ,remote ok button should pause/play..;and there should be another remote button dedicated to play next/previous (video or episode) .

What else do you need us to give you feedback about?

kwilcox

Thanks.  That's a pretty good pile of enhancement requests.  I don't believe that the first release of this app will work well with those of you who have really large collections.  My thought was to get it on the app store so you folks can begin to play with it and give me potential UI tweaks that will make using your collections easier.

I'll have to check the documentation from LG on your ok button hardcoded functionality request; I hadn't noticed that they mandate that.  What I implemented was player controls for magic remotes while standard remotes use their dedicated buttons for play/pause/stop

Edited by kwilcox

EmbyLover

"Should" as what my humble opinion is dictating :D , sorry I'm not referring to what LG is mandating, I hope I didn't get you into some extra work or research...anyway... I like the UI as it is for a start, it's light , load fast at startup,and fast in navigation, even faster than plex, connection with the server is awesome and playback is smooth  :lol: , the background pic sometimes takes some time to load and that pic is random it doesn't follow the selected movie/show...i noticed the "1 2 3 4....a b c d..."  list at the bottom is continuing to show on tv show seasons and episodes which is of no actual use,  when you select all of a tv show , you can't navigate between its seasons correctly or easily, I'll think of enhancements and report if I find any , I hope other members here would participate as well..can you add a search bar ? ..take care and have a nice day @@kwilcox