PLAYz emby for LG Smart TVs

simonjhogan
Go to solution Solved by ellnic,

cmarques
Hi @@kwilcox, I have not tested on my TV yet, just in the browser.

I think you forgot to hide the div details from all movies page, when in the movie details page.

57ea8c898378f_error.png

hmmm.... its the act of clicking on an item in a view that doesn't update the details view correctly.  However if you use a classic remote, tabbing over to the item does.  Probably why I never noticed it since I use a classic (Logitech harmony ultimate) remote on my TV.  Just hiding it in detail view seems to be the best idea.  Fixed.

Thx!

Edited by kwilcox

working on v1.0.3:

• error checking in settings logic, also hitting escape while editing a preference restores the original value for that preference
  • subtitle support controlled by settings
  • programmable color buttons allow soft linking of a feature to a color.  Current planned features are "toggle player controls", "toggle subtitles" and "reset screenplay"
  • there's nascent code for a "Continue Watching" section that I will activate since screenplay now has a resume playing feature
  • improve video positioning performance with HLS streams
Edited by kwilcox

anderbytes

SUBTITLES SUPPPPPPOOOOORRTTT!!!

57eab5b1907d0_squiggle_face.jpg

AT LAAASST!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D   THANKS!

Edited by anderbytes

cmarques

working on v1.0.3:

• error checking in settings logic, also hitting escape while editing a preference restores the original value for that preference
  • subtitle support controlled by settings
  • programmable color buttons allow soft linking of a feature to a color.  Current planned features are "toggle player controls", "toggle subtitles" and "reset screenplay"
  • there's nascent code for a "Continue Watching" section that I will activate since screenplay now has a resume playing feature
  • improve video positioning performance with HLS streams

@@kwilcox, toggle audio track (for dual audio media) also would be nice, since it works togheter subtitles.

Lyfesaver

I am still waiting for it to show up in the store  :( When you said soon, I was thinking sometime yesterday, lol. How long should I expect before it is available?

it all depends on the LG QA team.  They actually might reject me because my supporting documents haven't been refreshed with recently upgraded versions. Kind of like the "TPS Report" banter for those of you who are fans of "Office Space".   :) The UX document is a particular PITA to do since you need screenshots of every aspect of your application with captions showing what each function does.  The new UX document simply changes the format of the data that I need to input so I didn't update it.  Because of this, I may well get "back to spawn" from LG tonight...

Edited by kwilcox

Resume timers expire in emby so the "Continue Watching" selections will age off after a few days if not played.  However, the percentage played during the last viewing is always shown.  The detail item view will always have a resume button for any partially played item.

Capture10-vi.jpg

Edited by kwilcox

cmarques

Great!! well done!

I'm seeing you are using the poster images for the resuming content, this gave me new ideias for the UI  :P

@@kwilcox, I remember seeing this thread ages back while Simon was still working on "Playz for Emby" (I think it only had 4 or 5 pages at that point), so I've only just seen all the posts involving "ScreenPlay" today.. It looks amazing so far, you've got a real eye for nice UI design! Pity about all the back-and-forth with LG's QA procedures though.

I would love to help out with app testing (LG 42LB652T), possibly even helping out with the development side too, but I haven't found any mention of the source repository in this thread... Searching GitHub for "screenplay" returns a bunch of unrelated repos. Did I miss something here, or is this perhaps being done in a private repository?

Repo update will occur tonight.  I also corrected that pesky issue on the  detail item view when an episode is chosen for palyback:

Episode item:

Capture2-vi.jpg

Other item:

Capture9-vi.jpg

Edited by kwilcox

cmarques
hi @@kwilcox, last night finally I have tested the last release on my TV, the new featrures worked fine, the Resume feature also works despite the timing isn't correct on resuming the movie, ex. i watched a movie till the 6.34 min so stop it, when resume it the movie starts at about 3.43 min

I found two things to check:

1-when the Screenplay starts and the server isn't found for any reason, we stay stuck at the initial empty screen (only the logo on top).

the workaround to this is to click over the logo, so the app is reseted and maybe it can finds the server. 

another workaround is to clicking some times starting in top right corner to left, till find the position of the old Settings's icon, this invokes the "add server" screen.

of course nobody knows about this :P , and also these workaround only works with the magic remote.

2-(I found this when testing in the pc's browser) the field to type the server's address are duplicating every caracter  :D

57ed299f4742a_addservererror.png

Lyfesaver

I see all these photos of people testing out the app. I am so confused, did it get added to the store and I am not seeing it?

hi @@kwilcox, last night finally I have tested the last release on my TV, the new featrures worked fine, the Resume feature also works despite the timing isn't correct on resuming the movie, ex. i watched a movie till the 6.34 min so stop it, when resume it the movie starts at about 3.43 min

I found two things to check:

1-when the Screenplay starts and the server isn't found for any reason, we stay stuck at the initial empty screen (only the logo on top).

the workaround to this is to click over the logo, so the app is reseted and maybe it can finds the server. 
another workaround is to clicking some times starting in top right corner to left, till find the position of the old Settings's icon, this invokes the "add server" screen.

of course nobody knows about this :P , and also these workaround only works with the magic remote.

2-(I found this when testing in the pc's browser) the field to type the server's address are duplicating every caracter  :D

57ed299f4742a_addservererror.png

Lots of weirdness there.  There's quite a timeout delay if screenplay can't find the server for any reason... minutes.  Maybe clicking on an old icon location just passed the time until the timeout actually kicked in?  After a delay of 2 to three minutes, it should display a red "Server Not found" error message then send you to the Add Server page.  I'll test this out myself.

Edit:

Tested it and the red server not found error message is displayed but it doesn't go to the server page.  Working to fix it...

Edit2:

Fixed.  will add to tonight's push

I'm reproducing the double character issue with a browser too, so problem found & fixed: I'll push an update tonight.  if you can't wait for that, here's the code change in server.js:

dom.on("#serverUrl", "keydown", function(event) {
switch(event.which) {
case keys.KEY_OK:
            enterPress(event);
break;
/* 
case keys.KEY_SPACE:
            spacePress(event);
break; 

case keys.KEY_BACKSPACE:
            deletePress(event);
break; 

default: 
keyPress(event.key);
break;
*/ 
      }

});
Edited by kwilcox

I see all these photos of people testing out the app. I am so confused, did it get added to the store and I am not seeing it?

Some of us have developer mode installed and are using the LG IDE to load screenplay.  Its complex so we don't do a howto.  Sorry.  Here's the resource we used to get up and running:

http://developer.lge.com/webOSTV/develop/

• Like 1

@@cmarques  I just tested the resume feature and it resumed playback at the same point that I stopped it.  Here's how I tested:

I noted the time displayed on player controls then stopped the video, then went to the home screen (video was displayed on "Continue Watching:) & then back to the detail item.  I then pressed the resume button and the dialog box that popped up said "Resuming Playback at <the same time I noted>"  This was on my WebOS 2.0 TV.

OK, so I finally couldn't stand waiting any longer and have installed it :-)

A couple of points:

1. you seem to have assumed that people are all using passwords :-) If you're not, it's a bit annoying having to move down to the password box and click enter. Most other Emby apps I've used just allow me to click on the user icon and I'm in. It's made worse because to action the password box you have to bring up the on-screen keyboard, then navigate over to the enter key...

2. I can't get it to stop transcoding, and my NAS just isn't up to the job. I never use transcoding, and I really do wish I could just turn it off at the back-end completely. I've upped the bitrates in the app settings to way above what I ever use. The videos are standard MKV, and the TV's capable of playing them natively by USB, DNLA, etc.

Obviously I'm more concerned about the second one than the first one, as it makes it sadly unusable for me :-(

Also, resume didn't work for me when just trying it. It started at the start again. But perhaps that's because of the transcoding?

The resume button isn't what I'd expect to be a resume button by the way. Though just to be REALLY helpful, I can't think what a resume button MIGHT look like. "RESUME"? :-) That's my best suggestion, sorry!

Also, I'm missing the "next up" functionality - is that something I've done, or just NYI?

Is there a better way to capture feedback?

cmarques

@@cmarques  I just tested the resume feature and it resumed playback at the same point that I stopped it.  Here's how I tested:

I noted the time displayed on player controls then stopped the video, then went to the home screen (video was displayed on "Continue Watching:) & then back to the detail item.  I then pressed the resume button and the dialog box that popped up said "Resuming Playback at <the same time I noted>"  This was on my WebOS 2.0 TV.

I'll redo all tests, since you already fixed the others too.