Beta Release Thread

cmcg

GMT is currently in daylight saving and the old time function was wrong on my F-Series TV, which I think is true for CBers as well so he should be pleased.

paulsalter

Not had time to check the new version for times (will have a look later)

But my BD-E6100 just has a GMT offset, no settings for DST

So during standard hours I have it set to GMT (London), but during DST time of the year I have to set it as Paris time

Not near my box at the moment, but will confirm what time it shows later

FrostByte

Hmmm...  I wonder if you could just use the new format and add the GMT offset back (assuming you can get that info) in for certain models that are subtracting it.  This way it will always be correct and not just 6 months a year.  It seems like the new way is calculating the time correct and then subtracting the GMT offset afterward.  I interested to see what others are seeing. 

I could also just set my HTS for GMT, but then the time may be wrong in other apps

paulsalter

Hmmm...  I wonder if you could just use the new format and add the GMT offset back (assuming you can get that info) in for certain models that are subtracting it.  This way it will always be correct and not just 6 months a year.  It seems like the new way is calculating the time correct and then subtracting the GMT offset afterward.  I interested to see what others are seeing. 

I could also just set my HTS for GMT, but then the time may be wrong in other apps

That the problem on mine

If I leave the box on GMT all apps and the system are an hour out for 6 months of the year

If I pretend I am in Central Europe during DST time then it works

but I have to manually change time zone when the clocks change

That might work. I'm using ConvertEpochToLocalTime but there are also GetEpochTime and GetTimeZone_Offset functions that might combine to give us wider compatibility. Let's see how others get on. I also worry that some functions might not exist on some devices so some folk might even see "undef" instead of the time.

FrostByte

You wouldn't even have to do different functions and test for different devices if your TV returned 0 when checking if GMT offset is set

TIME = TIME + GMTOFFSET

Edit: you would have to subtract of course for people East of GMT

Edited by FrostByte

paulsalter

Ok, have just got my box updated with the latest version and done a check (BD-E6100)

With my box set to GMT (means system is an hour behind uk time), Emby apps show me an hour ahead of the correct time

With my box set to Paris (system time is now correct), Emby app is showing 2 hours ahead of correct time

Is there any known way to grab an installed app and crack it open to see how other people handle this? Or another opensource project like plex?

FrostByte

Played around with my settings like paulsalter

With GMT - 5 for local time.  HT players is correct, but Emby is slow by 5 hours

If I change my HT to GMT + 0, then player is 5 hours fast, but Emby is correct

paulsalter

I cant see how the time can be done via the app

If I leave my time on GMT then Emby will be able to get my correct time based on my time zone location but the system time will 1 hour wrong for 6 months of the year

If I put my system time correct (during DST) then the app will think I am in mainland Europe and give me the wrong time

If the app is going to offer a GMT offset for the time, then why not just change the time like this in the systems settings?

Not sure if I am missing something or not understanding the changes

FrostByte

the new way cmcg is figuring time now it SHOULD automatically adjust when daylight savings time changes.  I believe it does so now, but we will see in a couple weeks I suppose.  I think my home theaters system is subtracting the GMT offset after Emby gets the time so that's why my BD player is off and not my TV.  If an offset is added to the app I think you should only have to do it once (on devices that use GMT offset) the way it works now and not every 6 months when DST changes like you would need to if he added an offset before.

I probably didn't make that any clearer :)

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

paulsalter

the new way cmcg is figuring time now it SHOULD automatically adjust when daylight savings time changes.  I believe it does so now, but we will see in a couple weeks I suppose.  I think my home theaters system is subtracting the GMT offset after Emby gets the time so that's why my BD player is off and not my TV.  If an offset is added to the app I think you should only have to do it once (on devices that use GMT offset) the way it works now and not every 6 months when DST changes like you would need to if he added an offset before.

I probably didn't make that any clearer :)

Thanks

The issue I see is

During standard hours I see no problems with this and all working

During DST, my box has no option for dst so I have to set my time zone as one that is GMT+1 (same as BST)

If I set my box to Paris time, Emby will think I am in France and give me French DST time

If we check the time for now

GMT = 17:20

UK/GMT+1 = 18:20

Paris = 19:20

My Box has

GMT (London) = 17:20 cant use as this ignores DST and would make me an hour behind

GMT+1 (Paris) = 18:20 This is what I use now as UK is in BST(GMT+1), but will Emby think I am in France

**these two I need to swap between when DST starts/ends

So if an offset is added into the app, I still need to manually change the box, otherwise the system time is wrong

FrostByte

If you have your BD player set at GMT+1 and cmcg adds an offset option so you can subtract whatever hours you need to make Emby correct I'm hoping once DST ends the new app will auto adjust and you won't have to do anything ever again.  Just my guess though

paulsalter

If you have your BD player set at GMT+1 and cmcg adds an offset option so you can subtract whatever hours you need to make Emby correct I'm hoping once DST ends the new app will auto adjust and you won't have to do anything ever again.  Just my guess though

My BD player is only set to GMT+1 during DST

The rest of the year it is set to GMT

*these are manual changes I need to do to keep the system time correct as the box has no DST feature

Need to see more details of this, as either I am totally mis understanding it or I cannot see how it will work (without more manual configuring/changing than now)

FrostByte

If you still changed the offset on your BD player though you wouldn't need to change the Emby app every 6 months too though would you if it auto adjusted for DST?

I guess we will just have to wait and see.  Even if we have to change the app and our BD players every 6 months at least the time will be correct

Edited by FrostByte

paulsalter

That's why I need more clairifcation

When my box is set to UK time (standard hours) I would need to have an offset of 0, as the time zone is GMT on box and the UK

When I set my box to French time (GMT+1) I would need an offset of -1 otherwise it would give me French DST time which is an hour ahead

So for this to work I would need 2 offset figures, one for standard time and one for dst

Isn't it easier just to use the time from the box?, we seem to be over complicating things again

FrostByte

Isn't it easier just to use the time from the box?, we seem to be over complicating things again

Probably just me overthinking things.  We will just have to see what cmcg whips up.  Maybe it can get the time from the Emby server too, unless you connect to a server in another timezone I suppose

paulsalter

Probably just me overthinking things.  We will just have to see what cmcg whips up.  Maybe it can get the time from the Emby server too, unless you connect to a server in another timezone I suppose

Thanks for your info

Getting late for me now so need to stop thinking of this for now and wait to see what cmcg has to test on this

All should become clear in time :)

• Like 1

CBers

On my F8000, the Clock is set to Auto as is Time Zone and the time on TV is correct.

I'm still running version N of the app.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Hopefully more people will chime in, but it appears so far TVs use TZ/DST and BD/HT devices use GMT which has to be manually adjusted every 6 months.