live tv

dylanrellis

Deuce911

It looks like you are running mbs on different machine then swmc.  In this case, the 'recorded tv' folder that wmc uses to save wtv recordings needs to be a shared folder, accessible by the mb3 machine, have you set this up? 

That was the problem, system is working fine now.  

I have my MB3 running on my WHS2011 and have the WMC with ServerWMC running on another machine.

Problem Solved

That was the problem, system is working fine now.  

I have my MB3 running on my WHS2011 and have the WMC with ServerWMC running on another machine.

Problem Solved

@@krustyreturns Can you mention this in the plugin configuration page? Thanks.

Deihmos
Luke, on 19 Jan 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

The IE video issues are a core issue and has nothing to do with live tv. We're working on it.

Is it safe to say that it does not work with IE? Can't get anything but recorded tv playing on the surface. I get an invalid source error.

Edited by Deihmos

Deihmos

Ok. So basically nothing can be done unless Microsoft makes some changes? Is it possible to utilize the flash player for some videos? Should solve the compatibility issues. I think Plex utilizes Flash on the desktop.

Edited by Deihmos

jasonmcroy

Hey all. I am just checking back in as I haven't seen any response regarding the issue I posted earlier as to whether my logs were sufficient to check on it?

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

grousie26

all playback issues need to be accompanied by three logs - mb server log, ffmpeg log + server wmc log

Hi @@Luke,

I cant find an ffmpeg similar to @@jcain - it doesnt look like ffmpeg launches at all.

Here are my logs (extracted from when i tested this morning):

ServerWMC: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2259505/ServerWMCLog.txt

Media Browser Server: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2259505/server-63525786319.log

Hi @@Luke,

I cant find an ffmpeg similar to @@jcain - it doesnt look like ffmpeg launches at all.

Here are my logs (extracted from when i tested this morning):

ServerWMC: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2259505/ServerWMCLog.txt

Media Browser Server: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2259505/server-63525786319.log

the serverwmc plugin is throwing an error

jasonmcroy

Update to Epg not showing up for live tv. I just got back home and restarted my HTPC and now I have the Epg data showing up. 

What is up with that? 

jasonmcroy

I was just updating since my last post where I was not getting the Epg data coming through. I never received any response for that post but thought I would announce that it is working now.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

mentasm

All working quite well for me.

One strange thing I have found is if I click on the top couple levels in the media library edit page I get an error about GUID.  Happens if I click on 'LiveTV' or 'ServerWMC' levels of the tree.

Any ideas? 

52dc9bc1541c6_error.jpg

The editing side for live tv hasn't been fully fleshed out yet, so you might see little anomalies. I haven't decided on everything I'm going to do there yet. Right now you can change a channel name, and you can also change the parental rating of a channel as a means to hide certain channels from users.

AVTechMan

So this leaves the question, with the ServerWMC plugin installed on the MB3 server side, does the app portion have to also be installed on the server, or can it be installed on the HTPC machine that has WMC on it, as long as the RTV folder is shared? I did read over the Wiki on it but wanted to clarify as I admit was slightly confusing. 

So this leaves the question, with the ServerWMC plugin installed on the MB3 server side, does the app portion have to also be installed on the server, or can it be installed on the HTPC machine that has WMC on it, as long as the RTV folder is shared? I did read over the Wiki on it but wanted to clarify as I admit was slightly confusing. 

Until krusty returns tomorrow I will do my best to answer for him. Yes, it can be on another machine, however, your recorded tv folder not only has to be accessible on the network, but it also has to be configured to a path that is network accessible. for example, if you recorded tv folder is D:\Recorded TV, that local path is what server wmc is seeing. even if it's shared on the network server wmc is not going to know that. 

Brendon

?? if this is relying on WMC am i right to assume it's a no-go for WHS, seeing as i cant run WMC on WHS.

My HTPC is not always on thus generating dozens of failed read notifications in the dashboard and besides power costing what it does i dont really want it always on, the server already is, if my understanding is correct i am waiting for NextPVR or DVBLink?

AVTechMan

?? if this is relying on WMC am i right to assume it's a no-go for WHS, seeing as i cant run WMC on WHS.

My HTPC is not always on thus generating dozens of failed read notifications in the dashboard and besides power costing what it does i dont really want it always on, the server already is, if my understanding is correct i am waiting for NextPVR or DVBLink?

I'm running Server 2012 Essentials and WMC cannot be installed on that machine either. However, we will just have to wait until Krusty returns and he can help clarify things on the best way to set this up. I don't have all of my HTPC's running 24/7 either so that would be a possible problem.

• Like 1

Almost any solution will require another server when a WHS is used for MBS, NextPVR is linux based, WMC is tied into a client version. DVBLink is capable of running on server version, but unsupported (is running it on a client version supported you may ask)

I was thinking of running a Virtual Machine using vmware player and run a WMC in it. That would however require tuners that can be used in a VM, either USB or networked tuners so not the way to go for everybody. For that purpose DVBLink is a good choice.

scarecrow420

Hi guys,

I am the other developer who is working with krustyreturns on the ServerWMC backend so now that he has done the initial MB3 server support, I figure I should start becoming active over here as well.  I suppose I should go and install MB3 myself now, lol.

Anyway to clarify the recent questions/statements, ServerWMC needs to be installed on the same machine as WMC, because ServerWMC hooks into the windows recording and EPG services via ehome/MCE dll libraries which can only be done locally.  The recorded TV drive must be a local drive to this PC (this is a WMC limitation) however you can trick it by using symbolic links, or in my case I have an ISCSI mounted drive for recorded TV that actually lives on my NAS.  The recorded TV directory must be shared and accessible to your MB3 server machine.  Some of the benefits from my perspective of using WMC as a backend are the support for a broad range of tuner devices and different countries broadcast (terrestrial, satellite, cable cards etc) as well as getting the EPG data whether its downloadable or OTA broadcasted etc.  We can also support all of the WMC funcitonality such as channel groups, series recording, advanced pre/post recording overlap/trimming, conflict resolution etc, editing/merging/hiding/prioritising of channels/tuners.  Note that I have not seen how much of this krusty has supported for the MB3 side of things yet!

In terms of best setup, what I have is a "server" machine running windows 8.1 that runs WMC and ServerWMC as well as other things such as uTorrent and sickbeard etc.  I also have a NAS for storage.  I used to try and run things like torrents/sickbeard on the NAS and on a raspberry Pi but i found they werent powerful enough so I really want to have a proper machine for a server, therefore im not so concerned about always having that server on.  I then have smaller HTPCs (Intel Pemtium mostly, although going forward I will use the Intel NUC's) in the lounge room and bedrooms that are running XBMC and hooking back to the windows 8.1 tv server.  I agree this is not great for those who already have a "real" server running WHS2011, Server2008, Server2012 etc but unfortunately Microsoft has not made WMC able to be run on these and it seems nobody has been able to get past that in the workstation as desktop community (and I guess at this point, likely never will).  Hosting a VM with WMC installed and USB tuners (or networked tuner) accessible to the VM is an idea others have also mentioned, but I have not seen if anyone has done it yet.  It would be cool to know whether it works for anyone...

Thanks and I look forward to working with the MB3 team and community to provide client/server based TV viewing :)

Edited by scarecrow420
  • Like 1

scarecrow420

Perhaps just old WHS2011 addicts who feel compelled to run server OS'es "because you can".  I can't talk, my work PCs have always been Server OS'es but configured as desktop workstations - with various hacks/tweaks/etc applied to make them more like their desktop equivalent (Aero themes, windows media player, snipping tool, etc).  Server 2008 R2 in the current case and Ill probably go to 2012 at some point soon... I dont know why, just like to be different! 

But admittedly in this work setting, where we already have domain/server infrastructure, Windows 7 and 8 really are quite comparable to the server OS as a workstation thing.  Perhaps in the home case though, some of these guys are running server type features such as active directory domains, DNS server, centralised builtin windows backup for all connected clients etc.  My personal direction based on my setup outlined above, would be that if I ever did want to run a domain or use server features, I would look at hosting a VM running Server 2012 on the Windows 8.1 tv server, rather than the other way round, simply because I already have the win 8.1 setup I guess.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

i think the "i like to be different" is on the nail. to my mind whs and standard windows have converged to the point of indistinguishability. the only benefit seems to be the built in back up as you highlight but a) i can't remember the last time i needed to restore a back up (not on win8 definitely), B) i use NUC's as client's and i find it quicker to reinstall windows. the htpc "server" is backed up but just to a secondary local drive and c) my experience (IT auditor) seems to be that people think whs back up is a panacea when all it does is give you another device you should back up and remove off site on a regular basis. every 6 months i bring my 14Tb of external disks back from the storage unit we rent and do a full back up of each disk. theft and fire aren't getting me!

Edited by Spaceboy

i also run a win 8.1 machine as my "server", i'm not clear on why people continue to use whs?

For me it is because I installed it in 2011, put stablebit drivepool, iHomeserver, air media server and dvblink software on it and never touched it again other than dvblink updates, it's rock solid. It backups my clients automaticly and has a webinterface I use when away from home. No one has convinced met yet that a re-install with a different os is worth the time it would take.

Hosting a VM with WMC installed and USB tuners (or networked tuner) accessible to the VM is an idea others have also mentioned, but I have not seen if anyone has done it yet.  It would be cool to know whether it works for anyone...

I've done so in the past and used andy vt's recording broker to centralize all recordings to one machine which was the designated recorder for dvblink, worked great but since all scheduled recordings were rescheduled on the recording wmc you had no idea if a show was recorded or not.