live tv

dylanrellis

krustyreturns

Krusty,

Some general serverwmc suggestions.

• Ideally it would be great to have auto updates of the actual serverwmc server file (I know we talked about that before)
  • Installing/updating serverwmc should kill current serverwmc processes (or at minimum throw an error that it is running with a prompt to close it)
  • If it's doing an update (and/or if it knows it killed the current process) it should relaunch serverwmc on completion.

I accidentally updated without killing serverwmc first and it allowed me to continue and proceeded as if everything was ok. When I realized I killed serverwmc and restarted but that doesn't actually start the new version. It's too late now for me to check but I don't think the update ended up doing anything and yet it said it completed successfully. I needed to reinstall the update to get it to work properly.

I know, we need to get on auto updates.

The installer does throw up a dialog saying the process is running, with an option to kill it.  Are you running swmc as a service?  Maybe that's the issue.

I can look at starting on completion, but with great trepidation.  Its a long story why, but we ended up having to use wix projects for installation.  I don't know if you have ever used it, but it the most counter-intuitive code I know.  Or maybe its just me...

scarecrow420

Agreed... i have no real skill with wix and find it very unintuitive but that said, you can do practically anything just by googling and blindly following the directions :)  The fact it's free, works in VS2012+ (unlike microsoft's built in setup and deployment stuff, and their included InstallShield stuff is so basic it's not worth looking at) and can do almost anything...  User community and online documentation makes it less painful to do anything in wix than what you first assume!

krustyreturns

Okay - after all my griping - it now has the option to launch on completion.  Sometimes wix makes up for its unfriendliness with great help pages.

Edited by krustyreturns

techywarrior

The installer does throw up a dialog saying the process is running, with an option to kill it.  Are you running swmc as a service?  Maybe that's the issue.

Hm, I don't want to mess up my live setup to test it again right now but I think it was somewhere around 1109 or so. No, not running as a service.

If you think it definitely should be working then I'll test it again on next update.

jasonmcroy

I wasn't too sure where to post this so I thought I would start here.

I want to give a giant THANK YOU for this initial live TV plugin for MB3!

I went on a trip to NYC this past weekend and totally forgot to set up WMC to record a couple of my shows that are available on Saturday and Sunday. I used my Nook to access MB3 and easily went to the live TV section and set those shows to record. It all went very smoothly and I was able to record them with no problem at all!

I absolutely love the layout of the grid, channels section, recordings, the schedule recordings section, etc. It is all just totally awesome. I have been able to remove Remote Potato from my computer now that I can set up my recordings through the MB3 interface.

Anyway, I just wanted to give my kudos on this whole project! 

Spaceboy

yeah, i really used it in anger for the first time on tuesday, watched the match on my new laptop while the other half was wading through soaps. my team won 4-0 so i hope all future matches watched through MB3 turn out the same way :D  . i had a few pauses (it is HD over wifi) but it played the whole 2 hours without fault. as soon as this is available in MBT WMC is relegated to backend only

Edited by Spaceboy
  • Like 1

oldschool

I installed serverWMC on a different PC (Win7) than my MB3 server.

My guide sometimes just sits and spins. I'm not sure why.

When it does show up, none of the icons I have installed using My Channel Logos show up in the guide.

When I try to play one of the channels, I just get a black box. WMCServer recognizes my 3 tuners on my HDHomerunPrime, but I can't play anything through Firefox.

Any advice?

krustyreturns

your recorded tv folder used by wmc & swmc for new recordings and live streams is:

C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\

the mb3 machine needs network access to this folder, set in the 'folders' tab in serverwmc

it looks like the network path to this folder that is set there is:

\\MYSERVER-FILESERVE\htpc\Recordings\

They aren't the same folder.

oldschool

I usually use both. I record to the local hard drive, and then I have a script that runs after the recording to move the file to the network drive. In WMC, it shows recordings in both locations in one screen. That doesn't work with WMCServer I take it?

krustyreturns

No it works.  Serverwmc, like wmc, makes a distinction between the 'Recorded Tv' folder and a 'watched' folder.  Wmc saves new recordings to the 'recorded tv' folder.  Serverwmc uses this folder too, but for caching live-tv streams.  So if mb3 is running on a different machine, it needs access to this folder to play live tv streams.

If wmc is set to 'watch' the files in your other directory (the one you move wtv files into), serverwmc will watch these files too.  Look in the 'folders' tab in swmc, you will see a place for the recorded tv network path, and below that all the 'watched folder' paths found in wmc.  

Edited by krustyreturns

oldschool

Hmmm, so what you're saying is I'm going to have to share the local machine's Recorded TV folder on the network and provide a path to that shared folder?

oldschool

OK, so I added \\SPARE1\Users\Public\Recorded TV\

It doesn't look like MB3 is picking anything up though. Live TV doesn't play still. Recordings folder gives me the flashing error "added or subtracted value results in..."

krustyreturns

It seems to be having trouble with the audio for some reason.  I can take a look if you want,

find this file:

C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\TempXBMC\LiveTV_MediaBrowser^2_Digital Cable_1005_2014_01_30_12_20_13.wtv

upload it to here: 

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByNnAMYBoWvfQVBBNzFhZmNPWUE&usp=sharing

and let me know when its there.

blade005

krusty,

What controls the release of an active stream once you have stopped a LIVE TV request? ServerWMC? WMC? MediaBrowser Server?

The reason I ask is that most LIVE TV streams that I request from Chrome Browser with Android OS don't seem to release the tuner and stream when they are stopped in the MB WebUI.  Alternatively, Chrome Browser on a Windows 7 machine starts and stops LIVE TV streams and releases the tuner 100% of the time.

krustyreturns

I have seen your stuff about this and asked why this is happening too.  

To answer your first question, MediabrowserServer needs to call the method (CloseLiveStream) to shutdown the stream.  My plugin and serverwmc can't tell the difference between any of the clients you mentioned, it only talks to mbs.

I sure the mbs guys are working to sort it out.

oldschool

I upgraded to the latest, and I'm still having the problem with Recordings not populating. No EPG icons. The black box when pressing play still persists. Nothing has changed after the upgrade.

krustyreturns

Well it definitely changed, because according to the log everything worked fine.  Try closing down both mbs and swmc.  Then start swmc, after it is running, start mbs.  

oldschool

It wasn't intentional - just shared out a folder.

I used the directions at this website:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18442846/how-to-access-shared-folder-without-giving-username-and-password

And that helped me share the folder without a password.

After confirming I can connect to the folder without a password (from a completely different computer that hadn't tried before, so I know it works), I tried to access the recordings and again, same problem with the error message. I restarted Media Browser, and after the guide refresh, it still says the error with the Recordings tab. Live TV also still does not work.

I also noticed that I have to dump cache and refresh (Shift+Refresh) to sometimes pull up the guide. Just an FYI.

PS - I've had a lot of attachments on this site, and my allotment keeps going down. How do I remove the old logs so I can get more space?

oldschool

After a reboot, still not seeing the images on the guide.

The guide doesn't seem to be keeping up with local time. It's 11:56AM and it still hasn't shifted to the 11:30 listings and removed the 11:00 listings.

Hit the play button on a program, and again, it's just the black square. I let it sit there for one minute to see if I could finally get something to play, but nothing shows up.