live tv

dylanrellis

jasonmcroy
Got Live TV set up yesterday for OTA channels with a reactivated HDHomerun I've had for ages. There are more working parts than I expected... is there a guide somewhere that shows that you have to:

1. Get WMC set up for Live TV with tuners, channels, etc.; (this is the part that wasn't prepared, because I've never used WMC for TV)

2. Install ServerWMC application and set it up;

3. Install the ServerWMC plugin in MB3 web interface.

Viewing live TV isn't working too well as yet, nor is viewing recorded shows from the web interface. However, the recordings are actually excellent. I discovered that MPC-HC plays the .wtv files very nicely, so I set up an MB3 media folder pointing to them, then set MPC-HC as an external player within MBC, for WTV files only. Looking forward to watching Live TV develop and mature.

I found this information on how to set it up here: https://googledrive.com/host/0ByNnAMYBoWvfTk8tRWJXYko1T2c/index.html

At the bottom of the page there are some Wiki links. MBC plays my .wtv files directly.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

I found this information on how to set it up here: https://googledrive.com/host/0ByNnAMYBoWvfTk8tRWJXYko1T2c/index.html At the bottom of the page there are some Wiki links. MBC plays my .wtv files directly. Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I think that's where I finally found the clue about setting up WMC. Will probably help some other folks.

I hate the native WMC player... ZoomPlayer is my external player for everything else, but doesn't do well with WTV files. That's the main reason for setting up MPC-HC. :)

Edited by pagali

Just a quick update. I have another VM with a dedicated video card for gaming & I put SWMC on it & things seem to be working much better. I have another VM with a dedicated vid card for WMC but since SWMC seems to freeze LiveTV when SWMC is accessed I didnt want to run the chance of messing up someone watching TV on that VM. Are most ppl running MBS & SWMC together or on separate PC's? Cant wait til LiveTV gets implemented on Theater, Classic, or the Android app.

FYI: I'm still getting the same issue with the Recordings section. Any idea why that isnt working?

Edited by ArCaDe

scarecrow420

Thanks @@Luke - Who and where do i report this?  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin to no avail.

Hi grousie26, sorry I missed your error posted earlier.  This is a strange error, it seems that a windows DLL or service that ServerWMC needs to access is not present, possibly one of the Microsoft WMC ones (which live in c:\windows\ehome directory) or otherwise some more critical core part of windows.  The error is being thrown inside ehiProxy.dll (one of the WMC dll in this windwos\ehome directory) when it is trying to access tuners.

Can you confirm that you have everything setup correctly - ie you have Microsoft WMC installed on the same machine as ServerWMC, and that WMC is setup and working OK (drivers installed for your TV tuners, WMC is aware of the tuners, has scanned in channels. you are able to view live TV in WMC etc)?  You havent used any 3rd party hacks to modify WMC in any way (changed menus/EPG grid, disabled services etc)?  You could also check that you have the Recording and EPG services present in your Services on the machine (I cant recall their exact names at this stage).

Based on your answers to those questions, I would envisage you either just need to fixup the drivers/tuner hardware, setup WMC and/or reinstall WMC.  If that isnt the problem, Im afraid I would next suggest going down the course of windows repair or reinstallation as it seems something in the OS is not present, that should be...

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070490): Element not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070490)

Edit: from some googling I did, another thing to try could be to run things as Administrator (ServerWMC I guess)... though we have never encountered anyone who needed to do this before, it would be interesting to know if this changes anything for you

Edited by scarecrow420
  • Like 1

jasonmcroy
Thanks. I think that's where I finally found the clue about setting up WMC. Will probably help some other folks.

I hate the native WMC player... ZoomPlayer is my external player for everything else, but doesn't do well with WTV files. That's the main reason for setting up MPC-HC. :)

Yes, I can understand the dislike for the native WMC player. I have used MPC-HC as external player in MBT and I agree with you, it does a great job. I like it better than VLC player as I have tried them both.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Spaceboy: Is everything working fine? Also, do you actually use WMC on that box or just have it setup for SWMC? Trying to see if others are having the LiveTV freezing issue when SWMC is accessed.

Got Recordings to work. Seems you have to view any recording atleast once on the box running SWMC. Once I did that it started showing up in MBS. Couldnt view a recording on the MBS VM since it doesnt have a video or audio output device. Looks like i'll be keeping SWMC on my gaming VM. Good thing is that it doesnt seem to use up any resources when its being used.

rliepins

Hi all

I did have Remote Potato installed and it used port 9080.  I did change the port for ServerWMC to 9090 and changed the port in the MediaBrowser config to match.  I did see the guide, but was unable to view live TV or Recordings (same error as ArCaDe above:  'The added or subtracted value results in an unrepresentable datetime. Parameter name: value'.).   

So I uninstalled Remote Potato and reconfigured ServerWMC to use Port 9080, the default, and Live TV now work!  Awesome.

But getting a list of Recordings still fails with the same error.

I will port logs later in the day.

Hello Guys, I installed the ServerWMC app & plugin the other day after updating to the latest MBS beta & seeing the LiveTV option. I have MBS running on a VM so i didnt have WMC installed at the time. I installed WMC but obviously cant get it to display LiveTV because there isnt a real video card for it to use. I'm able to have it record TV & view it on other real WMC clients. After installing & configuring everything I was able to watch LiveTV via the MBS once, then I could never get it to play again. When it doesnt play for me I can confirm that SWMC shows its streaming to a client & a ffmeg process shows up in taskmgr, also I see files in the RecordedTV path. Also, when clicking on recordings I get an error: 'The added or subtracted value results in an unrepresentable datetime. Parameter name: value'. Thinking the issue may have to be with it running in a VM, I installed SWMC on one of my real WMC clients & reconfigured MBS to point to it. I could then view & play my recordings but LiveTV wouldn't work. Same issue with SWMC shwoing it streaming, a ffmpeg process in taskmgr, & files in the RTV path. Also, if LiveTV is running on the actual WMC client, when I try to play LiveTV in MBS it stops freezes LiveTV on the real WMC client. I then configured everything back on the VM running MBS. I uninstalled & reinstalled the SWMC plugin & was able to get LiveTV working again once in MBS, even after restarting MBS & SWMC & even restarting the VM. Not sure where to start troubleshooting. I actually restarted everything again & got it to play, then stopped the stream, switched to another channel & it play this time as well. But stopped the stream again & went to another channel & now nothing plays even though SWMC says streaming to a client. once thing to note is that when something doesnt play, I have to click stop twice to get out of it in MBS, but SWMC still shows as streaming & won't drop it until I kill the ffmpeg process in taskmgr.

FFMpeg Log: http://pastebin.com/S1c74Csq

Partial MBS Log: http://pastebin.com/BUrR4UdG

ServerWMC Log: http://pastebin.com/88ayKY9B

Edited by ArCaDe

Spaceboy

I have been using server wmc for a little while with xbmc and hand no issues there. I've since moved to using wmc on a nuc and accessing everything from there, hoping to transition to MBT when live tv is included. No issues with that setup either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shouldn't ServerWMC get its own forum now for support as have the clients? Will make things less confusing if/when nextpvr arrives..

Sent by my HTC8X using Tapatalk

blade005

Release of TV Tuners from Android Client and WebUI.

After testing of Live TV the last few days it seems that most LIVE TV streams initiated from CHROME and ANDROID client thru WebUI do not release the tuner and stop the active stream being shown in ServerWMC.

Using CHROME / Win7 Desktop and WebUI seems to have no issues. I can start a LIVE TV stream and stop in WebUI and it releases the tuner and stops the active stream all of the time.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Spaceboy

I remain unconvinced. System restore has virtually negated the need for backup. For total drive failure I still back up all pc's to a secondary drive. Win8 is perfectly capable of serving all my media to local and remote devices. You've given me a good idea actually, I should back up my back ups to my Dropbox. I've been looking for a use for that and now that's that element covered off.

I'm also glad that fire in your country respects DVDs, we should get that in the UK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea but system restore forces you to trust your data with something built by microsoft. i would never feel comfortable with that.

LASooner

its incredibly cheap, i'm kicking myself i didn't buy more! just had to buy a new licence for my new NUC and couldn't justify stretching to pro or including the media center add on so i had to rejig two other licences, which was a pain.

i guess the point i was trying to make was i don't see whs as having any additional functionality over win8 and win 8 is far more flexible / compatible. if someone was starting afresh i'd be amazed if anyone recommended whs

I use the back up capabilities as well. I'm not a typical use case, but every room in my house has some kind of PC, whether it's Mediacenter, a desktop workstation or a Mame arcade cabinet. I like having recent backups for all of them in case a drive fails. It has saved me a few times when a drive failed at an inopportune moment. The fact that all my media gets served from it as well is a bonus. I also only need a single crash plan license to get everything offsite, since all my backups are stored on the server, then backed up the backups to the cloud. My media doesn't get backed up since I still have the DVD's and Blu Rays. 

I'm cool with the ServerWMC setup since my dvblink tuner is on all the time anyway. It's great that I can now watch Dish Network all over the house without having to pay for another box.

Yea but system restore forces you to trust your data with something built by microsoft. i would never feel comfortable with that.

So does WHS...

When I had WHS installed, the backup was a nice feature but, when I moved off of it I just got a couple copies of TrueImage.  Actually, I liked the WHS solution better (it was more transparent and seemed to perform better).

Hi Guys,

Firstly, love the MB3 product - awesome work. I have been using MB for many years now and love it to bits :)

Secondly, great work on the Live TV option.

I have just installed it and all I can saw is that it worked flawlessly. I have set it up in my dev environment on a VM running HD HomeRun tuners.

Once again, thanks and great work. I will post in here if I come across any issues.

• Like 1

wally007

I would like to post  my impressions of Live TV as well.

Guide is absolutely best. Really nice GUI and functionality. I also like single channel list guide. Very cool as well.

Setting up recordings and Recording settings page is great as well. GUI is as complex or as simple as one wants.

Setup of Live TV was painless and obvious to me. This is first time I've installed Media Browser and it all seemed pretty obvious what I needed to do. (I've been using Plex for years)

It felt like WMC in the browser. (this is a good thing)

I didnt like Recordings page. I'm not sure if this is the way MB3 organizes all media ( I only tried Live TV ) but there was no way to custom sort recordings.

In WMC you have an option to sort by Recorded Date, Aired Date and Group recordings based on Series. 

In MB3 i only saw few latest recordings (without any indication WHEN they actually recorded until I clicked on the item) and then everything else was grouped.

Are there any plans to bring sorting option like in WMC or even more advanced ? Metadata is already in wtv files......

Anyway, for first release it looks awesome. Guide is the best thing though :-)

Edited by wally007

Even more important, can it compete with what's out there allready?

I have tv capabilities on all my devices (media center, ios, webinterface) in any location (lan, wan) on any connection (wifi, 3g). I don't care which is first but if it's a viable solution so that I can have a one-stop-shop solution finally!

rliepins

I'm still having issues bringing up the Recordings.  I get the following error when accessing that link:

'The added or subtracted value results in an unrepresentable datetime. Parameter name: value

Here is the partial ServerWMC log file at startup:

http://pastebin.com/LDJkiBKy

Here is the partial ServerWMC log entry for when I accessed it:

http://pastebin.com/bQgqMRWB

Here is the partial MB log file when the problem occurred:

http://pastebin.com/RrDi0dfu

Any clues?

rliepins

I'm not sure if this matters, but I do have some 450 recordings in the folder.  I am wondering if there is a limit?  ServerWMC shows supplying the Recordings to MediaBrowser, but MB fails to display all with the above error.