Android TV App

Luke

CBers

I got my replacement in. So far I haven't noticed the hdcp flicker...but I'll be assured after a little while.

One question for you guys with the Nvidia Shield...do you guys have the Live Channels app on your home screens? I've seen pictures online of it and it just isn't there for me.

Thanks

That was quick :)

Sorry, I don't use live TV.

@@ebr, @@Luke:

Why would this transcode on the nexus player?

Android TV Ver.: 1.1.49g

Server Ver.: 3.0.5871.0

Video
CodecMPEG4
ProfileSimple Profile
Level3
Resolution512x384
Aspect ratio4:3
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.976
Bitrate1025 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
Audio
CodecMP3
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate120 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultNo
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Containeravi
Edited by Delphi

The app currently forces low-resolution AVI files to transcode due to very poor performance when trying to direct stream them.

• Like 1

AmericanCrisis

Two things:

1) Movies encoded to VC-1 cannot direct play on the Nexus Player... I did however read reports that this isn't a problem with the Shield.  I tried this both in the Emby app and also in Kodi with Emby add-on. Any ideas why? 

2) When I am playing a movie and press the play/pause button on my Nexus player remote this starts Google Music.  In order to turn off the music I have had to back out of Emby completely and enter the music app and press play/pause again. Any ideas?

• Like 1

1) What do you mean by "cannot direct play"?  They produce an error, they transcode instead...?

2) That is odd as we should have control of the media buttons during playback.  I'll have to re-test that scenario.

AmericanCrisis

1) What do you mean by "cannot direct play"?  They produce an error, they transcode instead...?

2) That is odd as we should have control of the media buttons during playback.  I'll have to re-test that scenario.

I'm sorry I should have been more thorough and specific. 

1) Yes it does show "direct streaming" on the dashboard. The problem is that the video is slow motion while the audio is normal. The player (Nexus Player) isn't properly decoding VC-1 movies.  I've tested all my VC-1 movies and this is the case with all of them.  If I uncheck VLC player or lower the bitrate (thus forcing a transcode) then the problem is solved because Emby transcodes to H264. 

2) Tomorrow when I'm home I'll uncheck the VLC box and see if the problem with the remote purists. 

I have not been able to reproduce it.

Does it make a difference if it is the internal player vs VLC?

One more question... I have re-encoded some of the VC-1 films (which are .mkv files) to H264 (via Handbrake) and added them to the folder that I have created for movies... The .mkv file is the full Blu Ray rip and the .mp4 file is the re-encoded film.  My hope is that Emby will choose to direct play the .mp4 file versus the .mkv file just in these instances.  The .mp4 files are slightly more efficient I believe as their bitrate is much lower than the .mkv files.  Can I force this?  I've noticed only a handful of them the titles will "direct stream" the .mp4 files while some of the other titles are still playing the .mkv files (VC-1).  Here is a folder structure for example:

F:\Movies\The Dark Knight (2008)

The Dark Knight (2008) - H264.mp4

The Dark Knight (2008) - VC1.mkv

Hopefully my question isn't too confusing.  If it is I'll just remove the .mkv files from the folder altogether and store them in a folder that Emby doesn't have access to.... at least until I build an HTPC or get a Shield (the Shield reportedly doesn't have a problem with direct streaming/playing a VC-1 encoded film).

AmericanCrisis

@ebr 

Do you or anybody know why my Nexus player would be selectively transcoding some films? There doesn't seem to be a variable on when it decides to transcode. The Nexus Player is connected to my Gigabit switch via an Ethernet adapter and it seems to be transcoding about half of the Blu Ray rips that I have tried thus far.  I do see "PCM" on the AVR so I do not think it is the audio that is being transcoded. Furthermore, the settings for bitrate are set to Auto and it doesn't seem to make a difference if the audio track is DTS-HD or TrueHD (both trigger a transcode). I have no problem "direct playing" when using the Kodi app for Android (which I'm actually tempted to exclusively use... but given the fact that the Emby app has great Live TV support I would like to teach the family to go to the Emby app and not the Kodi app).  

I have use VLC checked and all the other settings are appropriate for direct stream (as I said, about half are in fact direct streaming). 

CBers

@ - what version of the ATV app are you running? Are you running beta?

The latest beta version no longer has VLC and will transcode if it feels the destination device doesn't support certain codecs.

• Like 1

sofaofthedamned

2) When I am playing a movie and press the play/pause button on my Nexus player remote this starts Google Music.  In order to turn off the music I have had to back out of Emby completely and enter the music app and press play/pause again. Any ideas?

I've had EXACTLY the same issue. I had to disable the Google Play Music app to stop this. It only seemed to happen when GPM had previously been playing something I think, so it may be a GPM issue, but doesn't happen with YouTube or any other media app.

I read in another thread the problem with audio in the last beta a couple of days ago, this happened with me too. I was using the latest Docker image of the server, and bizarrely it only did it with recently added stuff, not the stuff that was already in the library.

I didn't debug it too much, I simply uninstalled Emby, left the beta and reinstalled the latest non Beta from January and it works fine again.

AmericanCrisis

@ - what version of the ATV app are you running? Are you running beta?

The latest beta version no longer has VLC and will transcode if it feels the destination device doesn't support certain codecs.

It mustn't be the beta if VLC is an option in settings right? I'll check tomorrow when I get home.  

• Like 1

Both of you guys should get back on the beta track and then report your findings.

• Like 1

Pirlo1966

Shield TV console

Emby android TV app

Emby server 3.0.5871.0

Anyone knows why latest movies do not sort as they should in Emby: by date added? For one or another reason sorting of latest movies in emby differs from folder sort based upon creation date. 

56db0f1b70d50_Foldersort.jpg56db0f7440e25_Embysortdateadded.jpg

Pirlo1966

Shield TV console

Emby android TV app

Emby server 3.0.5871.0

I noticed MPAA ratings were recently (or sometimes?) replaced by MPAA description in Emby? Why?

(local MPAA description instead of rating)

56db1166b0dc4_MPAAdescription.jpg

(local) MPAA rating

56db11790c0a3_MPAAdescription2.jpg

that's not true. you probably have a description in your rating field causing that.

Pirlo1966

that's not true. you probably have a description in your rating field causing that.

You're probably right but movie.xml seems okay:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<Title>
  <LocalTitle>Black Mass</LocalTitle>
  <OriginalTitle>Black Mass</OriginalTitle>
  <SortTitle>Black Mass</SortTitle>
  <Set>
  </Set>
  <Added>24-1-2016 13:55:10</Added>
  <DateModified>29-2-2016 00:38:41</DateModified>
  <ProductionYear>2015</ProductionYear>
  <PremiereDate>2015-09-18</PremiereDate>
  <RunningTime>123</RunningTime>
  <IMDBrating>7.1</IMDBrating>
  <Rating>7.1</Rating>
  <VoteCount>66600</VoteCount>
  <CriticRating>68</CriticRating>
  <CriticRatingSummary><![CDATA[There is nothing underneath the glossy surface and no real insight into what made this man tick - and despite how creepy he looks here, Bulger was a man, not a devil.]]></CriticRatingSummary>
  <Metascore>68</Metascore>
  <MetascoreSummary><![CDATA[There is nothing underneath the glossy surface and no real insight into what made this man tick - and despite how creepy he looks here, Bulger was a man, not a devil.]]></MetascoreSummary>
  <MPAARating>BE-16</MPAARating>
  <ContentRating>BE-16</ContentRating>
  <MPAADescription>Geweld, grof taalgebruik</MPAADescription>
  <CustomRating>
  </CustomRating>

This issue is corrected in the latest release but will require refreshing affected titles.

Pirlo1966

This issue is corrected in the latest release but will require refreshing affected titles.

Cool. Thanks.

Pirlo1966

Well the android tv app on my shield is the one I use to consume media. So it seemed logic (to me) to post in here but feel free to rearrange if you think differently. I took screenshots from the webapp since I have no clue how to make screenshots from the android app.

Vidman

Well the android tv app on my shield is the one I use to consume media. So it seemed logic (to me) to post in here but feel free to rearrange if you think differently. I took screenshots from the webapp since I have no clue how to make screenshots from the android app.

Well if the web client is showing the same issue it seems more logical that it would be a server issue ;) Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

Its fine.  I just wanted to be sure there wasn't something I was missing that needed to be addressed in the app.