Android TV App

Luke

Yes, the issue is with VLC but only on Android

At least, it isn't a problem on the NP (running 6.0) or the few devices people have tried that are running 5.1.1.

When you turn VLC off in our app, it is actually using ExoPlayer but, as you said, I haven't had any luck getting it to do DD either.

Not very encouraging that you are having not as good of luck with newer LibVlc builds as we were planning on updating ours...

have you guys watched sports on live tv? I've noticed that the frame rate seems very off. 

That's pretty much the only thing I watch on Live TV.

I've seen some choppy playback on wide pans of the field sometimes but it really seems to depend on the source.  The vast majority of the time, I don't notice it at all.

fantaxp7

That's pretty much the only thing I watch on Live TV.

I've seen some choppy playback on wide pans of the field sometimes but it really seems to depend on the source.  The vast majority of the time, I don't notice it at all.

Interesting. I've watched two different stations one basketball and one football, bot has an odd choppiness to it. 

I am watching sports radio on one of the channels now and while they like ok, the ticker at the bottom is slightly juddering and doesn't look smooth.

rarefc3s

Interesting. I've watched two different stations one basketball and one football, bot has an odd choppiness to it. 

I am watching sports radio on one of the channels now and while they like ok, the ticker at the bottom is slightly juddering and doesn't look smooth.

Yes and you'll find that you might begin to have other issues with the Shield too. I hope they get 6.0 out soon! There is a bug in the remote which while you are watching anything at all returns you to the home screen. Super annoying. I bought a Nexus Player to compare since I've seen that it appears to have less issues. Both devices are wired to my network and I have the same problem with sports on each device. It seems much worse on DRM channels I am watching via a SD Home Run Prime tuner using their Android TV app or Live Channels. Super annoying since my HTPC with Windows 7 and Intel HD4000 graphics has no problem at all. I'd like to use the Nexus Player, I find it to be rather snappy, as my main device and regulate the HTPC to server status. Both the Nexus Player and Sheild are a joy for Netflix and YouTube. I'me tempted to try Sling TV for free for 7 days to see how sports look.

I've haven't paid for the Emby App to try it out for Live TV on either device.

Redshirt

I haven't seen that issue with my Shield. It's been a dream performance-wise compared to my AFTV gen1. My only complaint with the Shield is that the remote is too simplified. It's lame that it doesn't have at least a play button and a menu button.

• Like 1

fantaxp7

Heh...so one more issue, it appears I am having some hdcp issues. When I turn my system on the screen flashes every 5 or so seconds until I play something. And today I played something and there was no audio until I switched the input on my receiver and then back to the nvidia shield's input.

Hopefully that new update will smooth things over. 

fantaxp7

I haven't seen that issue with my Shield. It's been a dream performance-wise compared to my AFTV gen1. My only complaint with the Shield is that the remote is too simplified. It's lame that it doesn't have at least a play button and a menu button.

Yea. Luckily my Harmony solves this. 

fantaxp7

One other thing, when I pause a live tv channel and then resume, I get choppy audio or the channel freezes. 

ice pube

What commands can I add to my harmony to make it have more options in the ATV app? 

ALso looking forward to 6.0 as I am tired of having to use kodi to get 5.1 sound out of my DD files. 

• Like 1

fantaxp7

What commands can I add to my harmony to make it have more options in the ATV app? 

ALso looking forward to 6.0 as I am tired of having to use kodi to get 5.1 sound out of my DD files. 

I added as the nvidia shield. Just worked. 

Redshirt

Yea. Luckily my Harmony solves this. 

I have my Harmony One programmed for the shield. It's OK but not great. It's laggy compared to the official remote and they limit what buttons you can use. No menu button... They map the Menu button to either Home or Back (can't remember which) because they're idiots. Also, they only give you some of the transport controls. You get ff/rw but not next/previous. Their Harmony support could have been awesome but instead they went with mediocre. 

• Like 1

fantaxp7

I have my Harmony One programmed for the shield. It's OK but not great. It's laggy compared to the official remote and they limit what buttons you can use. No menu button... They map the Menu button to either Home or Back (can't remember which) because they're idiots. Also, they only give you some of the transport controls. You get ff/rw but not next/previous. Their Harmony support could have been awesome but instead they went with mediocre. 

Ahh I hadn't tested it out that much, only saw that I had pause/play and ff/rw which was felt a lot better. But ya, having things like Guide would be cool too for the live tv guide. 

Alternatively more buttons work with kodi on the shield, but I'd bet thait kodi uses it's own mappings from ATV remote's commands.

CBers

Heh...so one more issue, it appears I am having some hdcp issues. When I turn my system on the screen flashes every 5 or so seconds until I play something. And today I played something and there was no audio until I switched the input on my receiver and then back to the nvidia shield's input.

Hopefully that new update will smooth things over.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

• Like 1

fantaxp7

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

I have not yet cbers, just used the one that was supplied with the unit. 

I was just curious if others had seen anything like this yet. I have the shield added to my harmony but I haven't yet set it up in an activity yet. I am hopeful that properly setting it up so that the tv, then receiver then shield is powered may solve the issue.

Thanks 

CBers

I have not yet cbers, just used the one that was supplied with the unit. 

I was just curious if others had seen anything like this yet. I have the shield added to my harmony but I haven't yet set it up in an activity yet. I am hopeful that properly setting it up so that the tv, then receiver then shield is powered may solve the issue.

Thanks 

HDCP problems can be caused by a non-compatible, or faulty, cable.

I had issues on my daughter's ROKU the other day. I swapped the cable and the HDCP errors went away.

Might be worth trying.

• Like 1

fantaxp7

tried a different hdmi cable and setup harmony activity, still an issue. Screen will flash maybe every 3-5 seconds at different interval until I play media.

Really odd as my Denon AVR X4000 plays nicely with a number of different HTPC's I've built and other devices. 

Maybe that new update will help fix things. 

fantaxp7

Perhaps you have a dodgy Shield ??

Perhaps you're right. I've just ordered a replacement. It just won't stop flickering in my screen until I start to play something which is getting annoying. 

• Like 1

CBers

So one click lead to another click...and I don't full understand how it happened but...I've just ordered a Nvidia Shield :)

Amazon is a death trap.

I bought one at the weekend as well :)

It's so much snappier than my Nexus Player!

• Like 2

fantaxp7

I got my replacement in. So far I haven't noticed the hdcp flicker...but I'll be assured after a little while.

One question for you guys with the Nvidia Shield...do you guys have the Live Channels app on your home screens? I've seen pictures online of it and it just isn't there for me.

Thanks

• Like 1

Vidman

You need to install the hd homerun view app (or another app that supports it, but i don't know any others that do) for it to appear on your home screen

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 2

fantaxp7

You need to install the hd homerun view app (or another app that supports it, but i don't know any others that do) for it to appear on your home screen

Awesome thanks!