Android TV App

Luke

scottd34

I have a direct audio issue on the Shield TV.  I can get DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 sound perfectly.  When it shows me DTS (ES) 6.1 sound, I get a "Video playback error - failed to load video" error, and it spins without ever playing.  If I switch the audio to compatible mode, it works fine although I get no DD or DTS sound, only Pro Logic at best.  If there is no fix for this, I might convert those few movies to DTS or DD 5.1 if I can, but I'd rather keep the original audio stream.

I sent some logs from several movies that had this failure.  My account is "MediaServer".  The movies were Austin Powers Goldmember, The Fellowship of the Ring, and The Two Towers.

Also, is it possible that Emby will ever support automatic refresh rate switching to get 24p like Kodi can do on the Shield TV?  That and my above issue are the only missing pieces for Emby to be absolutely perfect for me for movies right now.

Is this something that is in the pipeline to get fixed?  I also have a few movies that the android app is choking on. I just checked out the three Lord of the Rings movies that are directly ripped off the extended edition blu ray discs into mkv.  The two discs were merged in to one file, but no other changes were done to the video or audio tracks.

Player is 1.1.68g an an nvidia shield.  Two of them played and were automatically transcoded, but Return of the King tried to direct play and failed with the video playback error above.

Vidman

fd952fe32f3a6f9ca60bfd54dc46b559.jpgbf90e9f23840a6f7ecfd65135de2128d.jpg

This had been happening with the last couple of betas on my minix neo on Android 4.4.2 any idea as to the cause?

Is this something that is in the pipeline to get fixed?  I also have a few movies that the android app is choking on. I just checked out the three Lord of the Rings movies that are directly ripped off the extended edition blu ray discs into mkv.  The two discs were merged in to one file, but no other changes were done to the video or audio tracks.

Player is 1.1.68g an an nvidia shield.  Two of them played and were automatically transcoded, but Return of the King tried to direct play and failed with the video playback error above.

I see a commit related to 8-channel audio in the player we are using now that may impact this.  You can try with the next beta and see if it still doesn't work.  If not, I'll have to limit the direct play to 5.1 audio.

fd952fe32f3a6f9ca60bfd54dc46b559.jpgbf90e9f23840a6f7ecfd65135de2128d.jpg

This had been happening with the last couple of betas on my minix neo on Android 4.4.2 any idea as to the cause?

Perhaps the Neo isn't compatible with the new framework updates Google made to the platform.  That's the only thing I can think of.  Is it consistent?  Does it not happen with the release version?

I see a commit related to 8-channel audio in the player we are using now that may impact this.  You can try with the next beta and see if it still doesn't work.  If not, I'll have to limit the direct play to 5.1 audio.

Try with .69 when you get it on your Shield.

scottd34

Try with .69 when you get it on your Shield.

Updated to 69g.  All three show 6.1 Direct/I and all fail to load..  At least it didn't try to transcode like it did earlier. If you need logs I can send those along for client or server.

Edited by scottd34

Then I will have to limit it to 6 channels and transcode them.  Only the audio will transcode.

MSattler

Potentially for that particular user, sure.  However, the app is still missing the boat with the Shield.  The Shield via Tiamat direct played everything I can think off that I threw at it.  I will try and spend some time this afternoon to provide specific examples of media that direct plays via Tia, and transcode via the Emby app.

I just want to make sure that we keep an open mind to ensuring we get direct play working on nearly everything on the newer devices such as the Shield.

So on the latest beta while more and more content now direct plays, some things still don't.  For instance this Daredevil episode.  In the Emby beta app it transcodes, in Tiamat it direct plays.

Video
CodecH264

ProfileHigh

Level41

Resolution1920x1080

Aspect ratio16:9

AnamorphicNo

InterlacedNo

Framerate23.97602

Bitrate9670 kbps

Bit depth8 bit

Pixel formatyuv420p

Ref frames4

Audio
Languageeng

CodecAC3

Layout5.1

Channels6 ch

Bitrate625 kbps

Sample rate48000 khz

DefaultYes

Containermkv
Path\\tower\TV-Series\Marvel's Daredevil\Season 2\Marvel's.Daredevil.S02E13.mkv
  • Like 1

scottd34

Then I will have to limit it to 6 channels and transcode them.  Only the audio will transcode.

So there is no way to just passthrough the hd audio to the receiver?

Vidman

Perhaps the Neo isn't compatible with the new framework updates Google made to the platform. That's the only thing I can think of. Is it consistent? Does it not happen with the release version?

Yes it looks like this always with the beta. Reverted to 1.1.46g release version and its all ok

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Kramerika

That's what I wondered as well since my receiver could decode DTS 6.1 via other means without issue, but in the end, I just ended up converting DTS 6.1 to AC3 5.1 to get the surround sound back.  Not the ideal solution for a purist like me, but I only had a few movies that were affected and didn't want to waste a lot of time on it.

scottd34

That's what I wondered as well since my receiver could decode DTS 6.1 via other means without issue, but in the end, I just ended up converting DTS 6.1 to AC3 5.1 to get the surround sound back.  Not the ideal solution for a purist like me, but I only had a few movies that were affected and didn't want to waste a lot of time on it.

Ya I don't have too many in 6.1es either. 

So on the latest beta while more and more content now direct plays, some things still don't.  For instance this Daredevil episode.  In the Emby beta app it transcodes, in Tiamat it direct plays.

Video
CodecH264

ProfileHigh

Level41

Resolution1920x1080

Aspect ratio16:9

AnamorphicNo

InterlacedNo

Framerate23.97602

Bitrate9670 kbps

Bit depth8 bit

Pixel formatyuv420p

Ref frames4

Audio
Languageeng

CodecAC3

Layout5.1

Channels6 ch

Bitrate625 kbps

Sample rate48000 khz

DefaultYes

Containermkv
Path\\tower\TV-Series\Marvel's Daredevil\Season 2\Marvel's.Daredevil.S02E13.mkv

What is the bitrate set to in the app?

That's what it is attempting to do now but apparently the player can't do it.

CBers

That's what it is attempting to do now but apparently the player can't do it.

Is it the built-in bitrate test that is making a difference?

Could we have a interim/test build without it to see if it makes any difference?

MSattler

What is the bitrate set to in the app?

@@ebr, it's set to auto, same with TiaMat.  And in the same session I was able to stream a 30Mbps BluRay mkv rip with no issue.

MSattler

Try setting it to 40 just to test.

That did it.  So should we always just set it to 40 when local and hardwires?  Should Auto only be used for remote locations?

Thanks!

• Like 1

That's interesting.  What that tells me is the automatic detection came up with a lower bitrate.

I think our automatic detection has a weakness in that it is going to be affected by the server being busy with some other task at the same time we attempt the test.

mata7

my fault please delete

yeah English is no my first language so excuse me if i sound rude

Edited by mata7

The interface paradigm we are using is the one specified by Google for these devices.

There is also a grid view option for most items, though.

MSattler

The interface paradigm we are using is the one specified by Google for these devices.

There is also a grid view option for most items, though.

A grid view option is not in the app though, is it?